HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Don Cherry's rant re: Rory

Old
12-23-2006, 07:15 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
OT: Don Cherry's rant re: Rory

I dunno if anyone saw the Coach's Corner segment today, but Cherry pretty much illustrated exactly why I think this whole Rory thing is terrible. It doesn't just make the All-Star game a joke, it makes the entire NHL (and its fan base) a joke.

While people who are in on the joke like hockey, embarassing the NHL isn't in the best interests of hockey fans in general. I don't want to say too much, otherwise I'll get flamed, but I think this whole thing is just a stupid prank, where the participants are either naive, or are just ignoring the potential consequences of their actions.

Bravo Don!

12-23-2006, 07:18 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I dunno if anyone saw the Coach's Corner segment today, but Cherry pretty much illustrated exactly why I think this whole Rory thing is terrible. It doesn't just make the All-Star game a joke, it makes the entire NHL (and its fan base) a joke.

While people who are in on the joke like hockey, embarassing the NHL isn't in the best interests of hockey fans in general. I don't want to say too much, otherwise I'll get flamed, but I think this whole thing is just a stupid prank, where the participants are either naive, or are just ignoring the potential consequences of their actions.

Bravo Don!
maybe embarrassing hockey will get bettman the **** out, he is the true embarrassment

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:20 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
maybe embarrassing hockey will get bettman the **** out, he is the true embarrassment
How is voting Rory going to accomplish that? In fact you're demonstrating that Bettman is doing his job well, because you're voting more often, and inflating the number of All-star ballots.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:23 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
How is voting Rory going to accomplish that? In fact you're demonstrating that Bettman is doing his job well, because you're voting more often, and inflating the number of All-star ballots.
what? do you know what you are talking about, you go from voting making a mockery out of the nhl, to us voting making bettman look good

gj buddy on not knowing what you are talking about

Old
12-23-2006, 07:25 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:

Bravo Don!
Lighten up. This is hockey not a civil rights crusade or cure for cancer research.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:34 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Bettman's job is to promote the NHL. Increased fan voting is an indication of increased promotion. You're right, I contradicted myself by not taking into account the embarassment of it all. However, I still don't think that this is a means to that end (being the removal of Bettman).

Oh, I'm taking it lightly, I won't watch the All-star game as protest to its stupidity. I don't like it, either.
However I take a bit of offense to a small sect of fandom making the rest of us fans look stupid, or embarassing the sport in general.

Old
12-23-2006, 07:36 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Bettman's job is to promote the NHL. Increased fan voting is an indication of increased promotion. You're right, I contradicted myself by not taking into account the embarassment of it all. However, I still don't think that this is a means to that end (being the removal of Bettman).
Honestly, his tenure as the commish has made the NHL become a second rate league in the US. To me the only way to fix that is for him to be gone and someone with fresh ideas come in.

Old
12-23-2006, 07:39 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Honestly, his tenure as the commish has made the NHL become a second rate league in the US. To me the only way to fix that is for him to be gone and someone with fresh ideas come in.
Well, believe it or not, you won't have this fixed with Rory Fitzpatrick in the All-Star game...

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:41 PM
tinyzombies

I think the joke has gone far enough. Even Fitzpatrick kind of wants to just get back to doing his job (so he said in an interview I saw).

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:44 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Cherry's right when he says the fans are laughing at Rory, not with him. Nobody's voting him in because it's a "root for the unlikely underdog" thing...they picked Fitzpatrick because he's the worst, most non-all star player you could possibly vote for.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:44 PM
NewGuy

Fan voting is the real joke. There has been ballot stuffing for years.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:50 PM
MoonlightGraham

The whole thing is funny, I don't think it's making the NHL a joke. Any publicity is good publicity for the NHL, and I'm sure everyone prefers to have the American media talking about this rather than stuff like the Bertuzzi/Moore incident. It also shows how much a lot of people can do if they all act together, in a world where it seems like the fan isn't very important compared to the sponsors and the people in the luxury boxes.

However, Rory should give up his spot. He's going to take someone's place there, and that player may never have another chance to go to the All-Star game. It would be a classy move on his part. Sure, it would be funny to see him on the ice there, but it's not fair for the guy who won't get to go to the All-Star game because of this.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
It's ****in stupid and anyone who went along with this and voted for him is ****in stupid too.

Tucker316* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Ironic considering Cherry seemed to embrace his ridiculously high ranking on the greatest Canadian of all time list.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino View Post
Ironic considering Cherry seemed to embrace his ridiculously high ranking on the greatest Canadian of all time list.
touche. how come don didn't give that one up?

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 08:13 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Because he's an arrogant son of a ***** and he deserves to be on the list, anyway. Fitzpatrick has no business even attending the All-star game.

Old
12-23-2006, 08:16 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax View Post
Well, believe it or not, you won't have this fixed with Rory Fitzpatrick in the All-Star game...
REALLY

OMG THE PLAN IS RUINED

I think you just showed me the light

Old
12-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Because he's an arrogant son of a ***** and he deserves to be on the list, anyway. Fitzpatrick has no business even attending the All-star game.
I hope you're kidding.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 08:42 PM
HFXMooseHabs

Quote:
Yeah, Ron MacLean brought that up...

HFXMooseHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Talent Analyst

Agree with Cherry

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 08:53 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I hope you're kidding.
So you think that Don Cherry has been less of a figure in Canadian culture than Rick Mercer (#50)? Regardless of whether you like him or not, he's a fixture in Canadian culture.

If you were referring to Fitzpatrick, I overexaggerated.. he should be allowed to buy a ticket to attend the All-star game.

Old
12-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Mathletic

on a side note, Gretzky coaching and his team are much more of an embarrassment for the league than Rory going to the all-star ... and the league itself is an embarrassment so

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 09:01 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
on a side note, Gretzky coaching and his team are much more of an embarrassment for the league than Rory going to the all-star ... and the league itself is an embarrassment so
I'm not sure Scotty Bowman could coach a playoff run out of that bunch, though.

Old
12-23-2006, 09:12 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
+1

plus Don Cherry is a ignorant fathead.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 09:20 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
Every other sport has fan voting.. and yet they don't vote in undeserving players or players who aren't even playing. It's not like the whole team is decided by the fans, either. I like how the NFL does it though, where it's a combined fan vote, coach vote, and player vote as to who gets to go.