HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Third line adding a new element

Old
12-23-2006, 07:25 PM
BobMarleyNYR

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Third line adding a new element

OK, everyone has complained about a lack offense, but I've noticed a different approach by the Betts line in the offensive zone. It started in the last couple games and seems to have had fruition tonight with Betts' goal.

They seem to be controlling the puck down-low in a Jagr-esque fashion (not sure about Hall, but Hossa, Betts and Ward have all been doing it). Granted, they don't have very good hands, but with their energy and size, if they continue using their bodies to protect the puck, they can be a threat, as evidenced by tonight. They just kept pressuring the puck until the D lost focus, then Betts got ample room (which he needs to use his shot) and buried it.

It'd be awesome if one of them could pass a little better; Ward seems to have the best passing instincts of the three... this line could really click.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Fletch

Not really seeig much of that...

saw it a few minutes ago, which ultimately led to a goal, but I don't see enough of that. I remember Moore and Ortmeyer doing that on a fourth line last season, and that's exactly what you want. Betts's line needs to do more of that.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 01:17 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
I am a HUGE Betts fan, I think he's severely underrated, and if his linemates were more offensive-minded, he would have tons more production. He has an absolutely nasty wrister, not to mention he doesn't mind chasing the puck after its dumped and delivering a hit, possibly creating a turnover.

I'm not suggesting this in any way, shape, or form....actually, **** that, I am suggesting it: Prucha-Betts-Shanahan. Lets see what happens....I think it would turn out good.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
I'm not suggesting this in any way, shape, or form....actually, **** that, I am suggesting it: Prucha-Betts-Shanahan. Lets see what happens....I think it would turn out good.
Well, we had Cullen-Betts-Shannahan for 2 games and it wasn't very productive.

As inept as Betts is as a playmaker, I'd be interested to see how he performs as a winger. He's got a decent shot and connventional wisdom days if he had someone to get him the puck more often, he'd be able to produce more offense. Unfortunately, it's a theme throughout the team though. Guys who are good at something, but don't have the supporting cast around them to get it done. The more you move the pieces around, the more evident it becomes that too many pieces are the same and a bunch of critical ones are missing.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 10:24 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
As inept as Betts is as a playmaker, I'd be interested to see how he performs as a winger. He's got a decent shot and connventional wisdom days if he had someone to get him the puck more often, he'd be able to produce more offense. Unfortunately, it's a theme throughout the team though. Guys who are good at something, but don't have the supporting cast around them to get it done. The more you move the pieces around, the more evident it becomes that too many pieces are the same and a bunch of critical ones are missing.
Yea, I thought about Betts' inability to make plays happen...which might not be the best match with Shanny... But Shanny knows how to dish it to. And Prucha can help in the playmaking department on that line.

I'm not saying Renney should make a Prucha-Betts-Shanny line or he should get fired (personally I think he should be gone already), but I mean, in this skid of ours, probably wouldn't hurt much.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Betts-Shanahan
Cullen-Immonen-Ward
Hossa-Hollweg-Hall/Orts

Scratches (forever): Orr, freakin Isbister.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 11:26 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Well, we had Cullen-Betts-Shannahan for 2 games and it wasn't very productive.

I think Ward functions more as the puck-carrier when those two are placed together. Very simply, if Betts and Ward were left to be the fourth liners their respective talents have shown them to be, fans wouldn't be all over their ***** so much. And, Renney actually hit upon a line combo that showed promise when he put Prucha and Immonen together. That should be the 3rd line. The problem still stems from the lack of a 2nd line center. And, I think its obvious the Rangers should never have signed Cullen. He doesn't fit, unless you move him to 3rd line center, and use Immonen in a trade. I'd rather move Cullen and get rid of his salary, or at least use it to balance out a deal for a 2nd line center. Cullen and Dawes for Doug Weight...who's with me??!!

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 11:42 AM
kasparaitis666

Betts would be good centering the 4th line with ward and hollweg. Immonen should be centering the second line and cullen centering the 3rd.

kasparaitis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Fletch

Exactly, jas...

and a fourth line with Betts/Ward/Hollweg would be one of the better fourth lines in the league, and a line that Renney wouldn't have a problem rolling in his rotation. I also believe that Betts would be nearly as productive as he is now. I seriously doubt there would be any complaints.

Old
12-24-2006, 02:40 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
and a fourth line with Betts/Ward/Hollweg would be one of the better fourth lines in the league, and a line that Renney wouldn't have a problem rolling in his rotation. I also believe that Betts would be nearly as productive as he is now. I seriously doubt there would be any complaints.
Agreed.

We've known it since camp, but this team is lacking the #2 C (Arguably the #1 C, actually) and #1 D it needs to be a legit cup contender. The glaring absence of these players have ripple effects throughout the lineup. If we were in fact missing a #3 C or a #3 D, the problems would be much less dramatic.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 02:54 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Agreed.

We've known it since camp, but this team is lacking the #2 C (Arguably the #1 C, actually) and #1 D it needs to be a legit cup contender. The glaring absence of these players have ripple effects throughout the lineup. If we were in fact missing a #3 C or a #3 D, the problems would be much less dramatic.

People want to look deeper than what really is the case. A quality 2nd line center makes the 2nd line productive, takes the burden off the 1st line, and pushes the role players into their roles. A quality D-man moves players like Rozsival and Tyutin into the appropriate ice time, makes players like Ward and Rachunek the 3rd pairing D-men they actually are, and keeps the likes of Kaspar out of the lineup.

Old
12-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Fletch

Take it a step further, jas...

the second line also enables other players/lines to play their proper roles and would likely result in greater puck possession by the Rangers. Greater puck possession, as we saw it last season, leads to better defense, and better defense, combined with more goals, leads to a lot more victories. Good defense can do the same, when a defenseman breaks up a play and starts the rush with a good outlet pass.

Old
12-24-2006, 08:25 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the second line also enables other players/lines to play their proper roles and would likely result in greater puck possession by the Rangers. Greater puck possession, as we saw it last season, leads to better defense, and better defense, combined with more goals, leads to a lot more victories. Good defense can do the same, when a defenseman breaks up a play and starts the rush with a good outlet pass.
Exactly, Fletch. BTW, Merry Christmas to you and yours!