HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Was Listening To Mike Haynes & The Between

Old
12-23-2006, 08:36 PM
DC-1

vCash: 500
Was Listening To Mike Haynes & The Between

the pipes show on my way home from Christmas shopping tonight prior to the start of the game against Chicago...Haynes said that the NHL is now seriously considering going to "bigger nets", and that he was all for it. With all due respect to Mike, this is, and would be, a horrendous move by the NHL. You talk about bastardizing the sport, and throwing almost every goal scoring record into question...more to the point, the 7-6 poorly played game against Edmonton, and the exciting start to this 2-2 game tonight (thus far) would have in no way shapr or form, beeen enhanced with nets that would be larger. PLEASE tell me that you don't agree with this silly notion to introduce larger nets...please? Besides if you think Theodore has trouble stopping shots with these nets...?

DC-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Commander Enigma

I agree it's a bad idea. It's not more goals the league should be after, it's more flow and more scoring chances. A great save can be just as exciting as a goal. And yeah, I don't want to see Theo have to deal with bigger nets.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 08:49 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Down-size the goalie equipment, but leave the nets the way they are.

If they MUST change the nets, just shrink the posts by a half inch each on the inside of the posts.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 08:55 PM
volaju

I can't see this actually going through. It's kinda like a joke to me right now, I'm definitely in denial. "What's that? They're seriously considering it? HAHAHA, good one my friend."

I'd rather see larger ice surface than larger nets. You know what would be cool -- if each team could set their own ice dimensions. Kinda like how baseball arenas have their own distance to the outfield wall. I think it'd be sweet if we saw some olympic sized ice sheets in the NHL, but people will probably wanna kill me for suggesting that. (And I don't know how expensive it would be, if it was significantly more expensive no owner would do it...)

volaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 09:25 PM
DC-1

Vaoluja that's an excellent idea you have concerning the ice sheets and each team's desire to create one that they like for their franchise - I like it.

Of course some would object to this - the same people who for years put up with the Bruins having their box sized ice surface at the old Boston Garden.

If a team has an arena that can accomodate an olympic size ice surface, then let em' do it. Home ice advantage/disadvantage would take on a whole new meaning.

DC-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Bigger ice would lead to less physical play.

While that might be good for these Avs, I think it would be bad for the fans.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Subzero

First, Bettman took away Ovechkin's mirrored visor (which i was going to buy when it came out but is no longer the case) now he wants to make the nets bigger. Next he will want to play with 5 forwards. He is seriously ruining my christmas.

Subzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 12:05 AM
Golden Foppa

I think changing to bigger nets would be foolish and I would hate to see it happen.

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Bigger ice would lead to less physical play.

While that might be good for these Avs, I think it would be bad for the fans.
Not nesecarily. That's what people thought about the Olympics, but there was almost more hitting in some of those games than NHL games, and I'm talking about pre lockout games. Not that I favor bigger ice. I like the smaller rinks.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote