HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting new skates: Supreme 7000 vs. Vaper 10

Old
12-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Slick

vCash: 500
Getting new skates: Supreme 7000 vs. Vaper 10

Hey guys, as the title says I'm going to be buying some new skates, probably tomorrow. At my skate shop they had a new pair of Supreme 7000's for $275 in my size (12D). I wanted the 4000 or 6000, but all they had were 7000 in my size. I tried on the 5000's in 11.5D but were too small.

I was about sold when I saw they had some used Bauer Vapor 10's. The skates looked pretty new, but when I tried them on it felt a little too tight, like my small toe was being squeezed. Seemed a bit uncomfortable despite being the right size. I have narrow feet, so this seems odd.

Though I am pretty sold on the Supreme 7000's due to how comfortable they were, I've heard they are a bit heavy compared to other skates. I've also heard the Vapor10's aren't very durable, but are lightweight. I'm leaning towards the Supreme 7000's for the price, but was wondering if the Vapor10's could fit better once they are baked. I guess I'm just nervous making such a big purchase and am looking for any negatives anyone has about the Supreme 7000's. Any input?

Last edited by Slick: 12-26-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 07:29 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Depends which model Vapor 10. I got the old ones, prostock, like what Rob Blake wears, and while they arn't top of the line anymore, they still are very very good skates. Baking should help a little...but if they the new Vapor 10s, then durability might be a problem and not sure if those can even be baked. The Supremes aren't a bad choice though.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 11:28 PM
SomeoneWhoKnowsRory

How does baked work exactly? I wanted to know cuz I've never had it done and got a new pair of Vapor PRO recently and was thinking about doing it, Do you do it after wearing it or what?

SomeoneWhoKnowsRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 12:40 AM
zoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoKnowsRory View Post
How does baked work exactly? I wanted to know cuz I've never had it done and got a new pair of Vapor PRO recently and was thinking about doing it, Do you do it after wearing it or what?
They put the skate in an oven (at the store) and heat it up. You then sit with your skates tied up and your feet in them for 15 mins or so and they will mold to your feet. Important that you be sitting, as standing can ruin the boot. Usually this is done when you first buy the skates but can be done after as well

zoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 02:45 AM
SomeoneWhoKnowsRory

Very intresting, Can it be effective for everyone? Even recreactional players? And has it ever ruined the skate having it done? Like what if it's not comfortable?..hmm..

SomeoneWhoKnowsRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 05:57 AM
bigsick

Ive have vapor 10s since they came out and im still wearing them. Although i dont find them the most comfortable skate( i had them put in an oven) they have been very durable and dont absorb that much water.

bigsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Skyblaze

I bought some Vapor 10's last saturday and had em baked. I had the slight rubbing of the small toe before the bake but it was gone after so I would say that answers one of your questions.

The bake is just something to lower the break-in time of the skates so anybody buying new skates should consider having it done if the store staff is knowledgeable about it.

Can't really say anything bad about the 7000's; they're good skates but as the Vapors were on major sale where I was (180$ CDN), I just had to go for those.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Slick

Cool, thanks for the input guys. I think I'll be going with the Supreme's. Would you say $275 US is a fair price?

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 11:13 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

How much does baking usually cost?

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Skyblaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin View Post
How much does baking usually cost?
Good stores may offer it as a free service when you buy new skates. Don't know if you bring in skates from elsewhere.

It wouldn't be worth doing if you've been using them for more than a few games anyways.

Tip: Do it either barefooted or with thin socks; you'd get even better results.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoKnowsRory View Post
Very intresting, Can it be effective for everyone? Even recreactional players? And has it ever ruined the skate having it done? Like what if it's not comfortable?..hmm..

Yes, even for recreational players. I was skeptical about the baking process untill I got my Vector Pros, which are the best pair of skates that I have ever owned thus far. I knew I would love these skates as soon as I put them on for the first time in the shop, right after they were removed from the oven. Man, they were extremely stiff, but they fit like a glove. They say heat-molded skates have no 'break-in' period, but it does take the wearing of them several times to soften them up a bit as they are very, very stiff. But there was never any pain, blisters, lacebite, whatsover. I feel like I'm 18 again. I ill never again buy a cheap, non-heat moldable skates.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote