HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2003 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have from the 2003 Entry Draft?
Zach Parise and Patrick O'Sullivan 13 52.00%
Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Colin McDonald and J.F Jacques 12 48.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2003, 01:43 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
2003 NHL Entry Draft

It's interesting looking at the Oilers drafting last year. I saw a post commenting on it on the prospects board. This overwhelming desire for size could really hurt the Oilers long term.

Take this years draft. Who would you rather have had,

1. Patrick O'Sullivan and Zach Parise

2. Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Colin Mcdonald and J.F Jacques

For me the top list gives the Oilers two excellent prospects that are quite capable of becoming top 2 line forwards and maybe even become superstars. I don't see nearly the same potential on the bottom list although they do have alot more size.

Old
12-01-2003, 01:50 PM
Boondock Saint

I don't think that there's a poster on this board who has seen even one of these guys enough to make this decision, let alone seen all five of them numerous times.

That aside, I'd take Parise and O'Sullivan, based solely on the prospects board.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:11 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
I don't think that there's a poster on this board who has seen even one of these guys enough to make this decision, let alone seen all five of them numerous times.

That aside, I'd take Parise and O'Sullivan, based solely on the prospects board.
Your right on that. Most posters here will be going on what is read rather than seen. But going by what is read, the gap between the two groups is even larger.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:16 PM
momentai

Let's talk in about 4 years and I'll be better able to give this a proper discussion. As of right now, none of those players are done developing and it will be a while before we can see how they will progess in the NHL.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:25 PM
Lowetide

Zach Parise (UND) 11gp, 5-8-13
Patrick O'Sullivan (Mississauga) 23gp, 21-16-37

Marc-Antoine Pouliot (Rimouski) 16gp, 11-13-24
Colin McDonald (Providence) 12gp, 2-0-2
JF Jacques (Baie-Comeau) 23gp, 6-9-15

Hmmm. O'Sullivan is clearly doing well, but if Pouliot was healthy his numbers would be in the same territory. Jacques has done pretty well so far, and McDonald is just getting started.

The interesting number of course, is Parise, who is off to a bit of a slow start.

As momentai says, though, it's way too soon to tell.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:41 PM
riles

It is way too soon, but I'm inclined to go with Pouliot, McDonald, and Jacques. We all know how good Pouliot is when healthy (hopefully that doesn't become a concern), McDonald is being compared to Bill Guerin, and Jacques is another big french bruiser. I'd say we got 2 players with 2nd line potential (although there is a chance they could be 1st line material), and a 3rd/4th liner in Jacques. O'Sullivan and Parise may have more skill, but they appear to have more holes in their game right now. O'Sullivan has these attitude issues (may not be real however) and Parise isn't that great a skater for a small guy. The picks Lowe made fit in to his model of a team, while Parise and O'Sullivan don't. There won't be room for too many pure skill guys on Lowe's roster and we already have one in Hemsky.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:02 PM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

Parise and O'Sullivan are more of a high risk, high reward situation. Parise has great offensive prowess, but the knock on him is that he's too small and doesn't skate too well. O'Sullivan was supposed to be a top 10 pick, but rumors of a poor attitude has decreased his value. Once his dad was out of the picture, he has been able to focus more on hockey and its paying off.

Pouliot could be a top two line player...McDonald and Jacques are hulking forwards, but none have star potential like Parise or O'Sullivan. Like everyone else have been saying, its still early to tell, and I have not personally seen any of them play, but it sounds like Parise and O'Sullivan are risks, but have more upside while the players the Oilers drafted are more safe, but with limited upside.

I think we have enough borderline 2/3 line players, gritty players, and character players in our system, and I think its about time we start looking at some high risk, high reward type prospects.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

I've seen both Parise and McDonald.

I'd take Parise in a heartbeat. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in skill and smarts. McDonald has good size and uses it well, but isn't nearly as skilled as Parise.

With all that said, and given the choices, it's still a tough call because I haven't seen the rest of the guys and I don't think it's fair to select one group over the other without having seen the others play.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
I've seen both Parise and McDonald.

I'd take Parise in a heartbeat. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in skill and smarts. McDonald has good size and uses it well, but isn't nearly as skilled as Parise.
I think most Oiler fans would select Parise over McDonald. However, McDonald was a second round pick while Parise was a first.. it would be more fair to compare Parise to Pouliot and McDonald to O'Sullivan IMO..

Old
12-01-2003, 03:39 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i would have liked to see Pouliot and O'Sullivan instead, isnt that wot speeds wished for?

Old
12-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

I have gone on record for Parise over Pouliot. And I agree with the posters who feel the Oilers are missing elite talent and that Parise and O'Sullivan represent that potential. High risk for high reward.

Regarding Pouliot, I hope he develops as expected. However I will point out this player has had injuries (some fairly major) in all three years of his junior career. I saw Pouliot briefly at the Canadian Junior Camp in August ... until he got hurt.

Swing for the fences...Parise and O'Sullivan were imo worth the risk. We'll all know if three to four years.

Closed Thread