HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

halpern sitting...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-01-2003, 11:34 AM
  #1
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 10,033
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
halpern sitting...

I think it was due. Maybe this will light a fire under his you-know-what.

__________________
True Story™®©
usiel is offline  
Old
12-01-2003, 12:06 PM
  #2
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel
I think it was due. Maybe this will light a fire under his you-know-what.
You think he needs a fire lit? Do you actually see him playing lazy and coasting? I said this about kono and halpern before kono was traded.
la canfora mentioned it yesterday when talking about halpern being scratched. halpern's skills and style of play and konowalchuk's for that matter are for tough, grinding, forechecking play.

Under Cassidy the Caps don't forecheck. They hang back in the neutral zone. Frankly you can see his failings in the lack of results from Sutherby who is a similar style player who is bigger and stronger.

The Caps used to be known for cycling the puck endlessly. As recently as last year Grier-Halpern-Konowalchuk could cycle the puck in the offensive zone for an entire shift. Its not that those players can't do that anymore. Its not the game plan. 3 forwards in deep like that leaves the inexperienced defense on its own. So...no more cycling and no more forechecking.

Its no surprise to me that Konowalchuk gets traded into a forechecking team and jumps right back to the top of his game.

txpd is offline  
Old
12-01-2003, 01:20 PM
  #3
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 10,033
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Honestly I wasn't sure what the hell system Cassidy has been using but what you say does make sense.

Do think that Halpern can adjust to Cassidy's system?

usiel is offline  
Old
12-01-2003, 01:54 PM
  #4
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel
Honestly I wasn't sure what the hell system Cassidy has been using but what you say does make sense.

Do think that Halpern can adjust to Cassidy's system?
adjust how? halpern is an active player in a passive system. jagr, lang have trouble scoring at even strenth. much less halpern

txpd is offline  
Old
12-01-2003, 06:29 PM
  #5
gocaps8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel
Honestly I wasn't sure what the hell system Cassidy has been using but what you say does make sense.

Do think that Halpern can adjust to Cassidy's system?

What system??????

gocaps8 is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 10:31 AM
  #6
PSUhockey34
Registered User
 
PSUhockey34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 5,041
vCash: 500
Halpren's career has completely stalled since cassidy has taken over...i thought Halpren was a lock to net around 20 goals a year for us the next few years but instead has completely lost any niche or spot on this team...matter of fact I dont think any caps player knows what the hell is going on in DC...jagr might be the only player who knows what their role is and thats being a whipping boy

PSUhockey34 is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 12:14 PM
  #7
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3owner
Halpren's career has completely stalled since cassidy has taken over...i thought Halpren was a lock to net around 20 goals a year for us the next few years but instead has completely lost any niche or spot on this team...matter of fact I dont think any caps player knows what the hell is going on in DC...jagr might be the only player who knows what their role is and thats being a whipping boy
I think Halpern knows what his role is. He also knows that the way that he filled that role has been taken away from him. Its no accident that Konowalchuk, Halpern, Grier, and Sutherby are all struggling this year.
They are all players that at their best create by way of fierce forechecking and pinning the defense in their own zone, tiring them and waiting for mistakes to take advantage of. They used to tie the puck up in the offensive zone for entire shifts and draw penalties.

With two NHL defensemen, the Caps don't forecheck anymore. they hang one guy high and four guys in the neutral zone. These are conditions that allow little if any opportunity for those 4 players to use there skills. You can add Matt Pettinger to that list.

That said I think Robert Lang knows his role and is flourishing. Sergei Gonchar and Brendan Witt are very aware of their roles and holding up.
Zubrus knows his role and his having his best year. Bondra knows his role and has cracked a little bit under the stress but is looking up.

Eminger knew his role and was overwhelmed until he got a lesser role.

txpd is offline  
Old
12-04-2003, 01:01 AM
  #8
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
With the offense rolling do you think there will be any chance of a halpern + nylander trade for a more reliable defenseman? How much do Nylander and Halpern make?

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline  
Old
12-04-2003, 06:28 AM
  #9
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number67
With the offense rolling do you think there will be any chance of a halpern + nylander trade for a more reliable defenseman? How much do Nylander and Halpern make?
i think that nylander might well be moved. he makes $2.6m and could be moved for a defenseman. there are many quality nhl defensemen in the last year of their contracts that would make a fair deal for nylander.
Halpern makes $1.4m and wouldn't bring the Caps anymore than what they got for Kono.

txpd is offline  
Old
12-04-2003, 11:11 AM
  #10
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
i think that nylander might well be moved. he makes $2.6m and could be moved for a defenseman. there are many quality nhl defensemen in the last year of their contracts that would make a fair deal for nylander.
Halpern makes $1.4m and wouldn't bring the Caps anymore than what they got for Kono.
Yeah but I'm sayign pair them up together to get rid of some salary, and whichever team sends us a defenseman can send us a pick or two picks (3rd and a 5th?) as well. I like Halpern and want to see him succeed but he isnt going to be doign that anytime soon in Washington.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline  
Old
12-04-2003, 11:15 AM
  #11
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number67
Yeah but I'm sayign pair them up together to get rid of some salary, and whichever team sends us a defenseman can send us a pick or two picks (3rd and a 5th?) as well. I like Halpern and want to see him succeed but he isnt going to be doign that anytime soon in Washington.
I don't think that is very likely. That's two NHL centers. Its hard to find room for 2 when there are only 4 spots on a team. Halpern makes too much money to be a scratch. The only way getting Nylander and Halpern together in a deal makes sense is if the team needs a 1 or 2 center and a 3rd line center. Thats not very likely.

txpd is offline  
Old
12-04-2003, 07:37 PM
  #12
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,083
vCash: 500
I'm a little shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
I don't think that is very likely. That's two NHL centers. Its hard to find room for 2 when there are only 4 spots on a team. Halpern makes too much money to be a scratch. The only way getting Nylander and Halpern together in a deal makes sense is if the team needs a 1 or 2 center and a 3rd line center. Thats not very likely.

That Halpern is still sitting. Usually an eye opener doesn't last this long. It was nice to see the note about Halpern still on the ice 90 minutes after practice.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
12-04-2003, 07:50 PM
  #13
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
That Halpern is still sitting. Usually an eye opener doesn't last this long. It was nice to see the note about Halpern still on the ice 90 minutes after practice.
Here is part that scares me. with Halpern sitting the caps dressed this crew.
ciernik and willsie on the 2nd line
miller and sutherby on the 3rd
pettinger-gordon-peat on the 4th

out of 9 forwards on the 2nd 3rd and 4th lines 3, zubrus, grier, and miller have a full nhl season experience. of those 7 players listed above all have been in the minors this year and/or a healthy scratch. that is just pitiful.
the caps are jagr-lang-bondra gonchar and witt and the rest is an ahl team. this is embarrassing really. its a miracle that they have won nhl games at all this year.

txpd is offline  
Old
12-04-2003, 08:41 PM
  #14
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,083
vCash: 500
Omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Here is part that scares me. with Halpern sitting the caps dressed this crew.
ciernik and willsie on the 2nd line
miller and sutherby on the 3rd
pettinger-gordon-peat on the 4th

out of 9 forwards on the 2nd 3rd and 4th lines 3, zubrus, grier, and miller have a full nhl season experience. of those 7 players listed above all have been in the minors this year and/or a healthy scratch. that is just pitiful.
the caps are jagr-lang-bondra gonchar and witt and the rest is an ahl team. this is embarrassing really. its a miracle that they have won nhl games at all this year.
Im on the road and didn't get to see the game, but the stats show that Lang and Jagr were bottled up the whole night. If there was ever a team that could suck the life out of a hockey game, it's the Devils.

That's a shady 2nd line. Though Ciernik was listed as only having 7 shifts. Not too great of a 2nd line there.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
12-04-2003, 11:15 PM
  #15
DaleHunter
Registered User
 
DaleHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 588
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
Im on the road and didn't get to see the game, but the stats show that Lang and Jagr were bottled up the whole night. If there was ever a team that could suck the life out of a hockey game, it's the Devils.

That's a shady 2nd line. Though Ciernik was listed as only having 7 shifts. Not too great of a 2nd line there.

Ciernik took a shot to the ankle and left in the first period, never to come back. I hate wishing injury on players but man, I dislike Ciernik so much that I honestly was split between thoughts of "oh damn!" and "alri-i-i-i-i-ight!"

That aside... yes, that is a VERY SHADY 2nd line. My forward lineup, should I be hired as Caps HC tomorrow, would be this:

Bondra-Lang-Jagr
Semin-Zubrus-Grier
Pettinger-Halpern-Willsie
Battaglia-Suts-Peat

sit/scratch/cut/waive Miller, Ciernik... send Gordon back to juniors/AHL

Suts and Halpern would switch between 3rd and 4th depending on performance. Maybe even a shift or two on the 2nd line, bumping Zubby over to RW and sitting Grier. The biggest weakpoint on that line is the 3rd RW... but if I move grier down, wtf to I put on 2nd RW? And if Bondra moved down, I sure as hell wouldn't put Miller/Ciernik back up there.

When Nylander comes back put him at 2nd line C, move Zubrus to RW-2 and Grier down to RW-3... scratch/waive/demote Willsie.

Until then, maybe this for lines 2-4
Semin-Suts/Halp-Zubrus
Pettinger-Suts/Halp-Grier
Battaglia-Willsie-Peat

Bah... what do I know?

DaleHunter is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 11:46 AM
  #16
gocaps8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter
Ciernik took a shot to the ankle and left in the first period, never to come back. I hate wishing injury on players but man, I dislike Ciernik so much that I honestly was split between thoughts of "oh damn!" and "alri-i-i-i-i-ight!"

That aside... yes, that is a VERY SHADY 2nd line. My forward lineup, should I be hired as Caps HC tomorrow, would be this:

Bondra-Lang-Jagr
Semin-Zubrus-Grier
Pettinger-Halpern-Willsie
Battaglia-Suts-Peat

sit/scratch/cut/waive Miller, Ciernik... send Gordon back to juniors/AHL

Suts and Halpern would switch between 3rd and 4th depending on performance. Maybe even a shift or two on the 2nd line, bumping Zubby over to RW and sitting Grier. The biggest weakpoint on that line is the 3rd RW... but if I move grier down, wtf to I put on 2nd RW? And if Bondra moved down, I sure as hell wouldn't put Miller/Ciernik back up there.

When Nylander comes back put him at 2nd line C, move Zubrus to RW-2 and Grier down to RW-3... scratch/waive/demote Willsie.

Until then, maybe this for lines 2-4
Semin-Suts/Halp-Zubrus
Pettinger-Suts/Halp-Grier
Battaglia-Willsie-Peat

Bah... what do I know?

If you can coach for free we will take you, if you promise your first move is to scratch Ciernick. Anyone is better than Cassidy.

gocaps8 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.