Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruins Meltdown

Old
12-26-2006, 09:49 PM
frankiesfly

vCash: 500
Bruins Meltdown

I dont know what the bruins were thinkng in the 3rd. If your going to try to sit on a one goal lead, You should at least be trying the nuetral zone trap. You cant sit on a one goal lead and let the opposing team gain the zone with ease. They expected Thomas to do every thing and it was a matter of time before they blew it. Then that over time line change was just mind blowing. This was defenitley a melt down if i ever seen one.

frankiesfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 09:51 PM
ostiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiesfly View Post
I dont know what the bruins were thinkng in the 3rd.
They have been thinking the same thought a lot this season. Most recently, we saw it for the last 40 minutes vs Vancouver.

ostiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Bruwinz37

Game Thread.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 09:52 PM
MaCam

We have a good team, but I believe as long as Dave Lewis is behind the bench we will not go far in the playoffs (if we even make them) unless he starts changing some of his useless strategies like trying to sit on leads.

MaCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 10:05 PM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
It's not really a Bruins meltdown...

It's Dave Lewis' 3rd period strategy. If the game is tied or the team has a lead (or even if they are losing), he wants no forechecking, collapse on the goalie, chase the puck around the defensive zone and ice the puck style hockey.

CombatOnContact is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 10:14 PM
BruinsGirl

B's played unbelievable game. It was just unfortunate end.

BruinsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

vCash: 1004
This reminds me of the Italian soccer style, brought on by the Italian national coaches. Once they got a 1 goal lead they sat and played defence and nearly all the time they got screwed and ended up tying and sometimes even losing.

Twisted Tales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 10:42 PM
DFENS44

Brain Meltdown...

Dumb penalties...
I have to confess, I've never seen a 6 on 3 before.

DFENS44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 10:49 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFENS44 View Post
Dumb penalties...
I have to confess, I've never seen a 6 on 3 before.
I've also never seen a 4-on-0 before. The line change was beyond absurd.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 10:55 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURinkRat View Post
I've also never seen a 4-on-0 before. The line change was beyond absurd.
True but it never should've happened. The Stuart penalty was borderline, the Chara penalty was horrendous. You cannot make that call in that situation in that point in the game if you are an NHL official. Calling it a meltdown is stupid IMO.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 11:07 PM
Bruins74
IT'S CALLED BRUINS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwineTickler View Post
True but it never should've happened. The Stuart penalty was borderline, the Chara penalty was horrendous. You cannot make that call in that situation in that point in the game if you are an NHL official. Calling it a meltdown is stupid IMO.

No, by the time the penalties were called, the meltdown had already happened!

Bruins74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Dueman1

The meltdown began in the 2nd period after Columbus scored their third goal. They were energized and we never matched their intensity. It continued in the third and it was only a matter of time before they tied the game. It was our game to win/lose, we didn't bury our chances when we were dominating and terrible passing and pathetic turnovers(Boyes) led to the goals and swing in momentum.

Dueman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 11:20 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Game Thread.
Two words?

The meltdown begins when the Bruins hit the ice age and think they can stop playing and sit on a lead.

WickedBruinsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 11:27 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
something about these damn versus games...... I just don't like'em. Seems like stupid crap like this always happens.

smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Krejci Knows Techno
Playoffs *****

all i have to say is... playing a defensive zone trap is OK, it can work, but you have to actually have posession of the puck in the neutral zone, every time they got the puck they crossed the blue line, the puck carrier dumped the puck then went off for a change. you cant win like that, thats like getting a turnover than taking 3 knees and punting it back, it doesnt work that way. If lewis wants to actually work the defense as a shutdown d- properly than he better wake up, his style of trap is not working. its all coaching stradegy, overutilization or underutilization aside, hes got to sit down with chia, gordon, habschied, houda, hell get sinden in on it and figure it out, call a master/executive meeting to get it straight, if they make it to the playoffs they will go nowhere with this type of trap. they need some kind of transition game. this team has the pieces, two great lines (plus two great youngsters to make a third), a solid top three defense, a good goalie, but its going no where with dave lewis' style this year or next.

Krejci Knows Techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Remdawg911

How can you call that a meltdown? They gave up a goal and a PP 5-3 advantage goal in the last minute because of shoddy reffing. It was on their home ice and the Bruins don't play well after holidays. It was a tough loss, just move onto the next game.

Remdawg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 12:43 AM
disfigured

Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured
It's two fold, one situation prays on the other.

Play a collapsing scrambling "bar the door" type defense, and your going to end up behind players.

Reaching , stretching , desperate plays, are often perceived as penalties by the refs.

Some one loses a blade but he's got a step on you, it looks like tripping.

Some makes it out of the corner and you're playing catch up to him (because your short handed), and you reach out with your stick , and it's hooking. Or at least it appears to be.

I agree that the Chara penalty although it's been called a lot this year (a small tug on the elbow, or even less), should have been ignored by the refs. A man advantage is enough to hand out in the last 2 minutes on a some-what questionable call. But a 2 man advantage is just too much to hand over, unless the 2nd penalty is obvious and egregious.

The Lewis third period strategy or what ever one wants to call it, is either not working , or is not being executed properly.

When that happens it puts the boys one step behind and that opens the door for bad referees to start interpreting scrambling desperate play. A lot of the times they see hooking and holding and tripping where none exists because the B's are "stretching".

Don't play the 3rd period this way and it will be a lot harder for refs to make lousy calls. Don't give then the chance to do it. Better yet play aggressive enough where the opposing team is the one that looks as if they are "stretching" and playing desperate.

If you've got the puck its pretty hard for the ref to call a penalty on you. If you've never got the puck........well you do the math.

disfigured is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Killerbeez
HFBoards Sponsor

To me the meltdown started when both Chara and Murray were clearly whacked by the BJ's, left the game for repairs and no penalty was called in either case. How does Vs pick up the stick infraction and 3 on ice officials miss it.

Killerbeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 09:17 AM
toomanymen

As they say in football "the only thing a prevent defence prevents is winning". Stay aggressive, at least if you lose you go out on your shield.

toomanymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 09:22 AM
tgerace23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbeez View Post
To me the meltdown started when both Chara and Murray were clearly whacked by the BJ's, left the game for repairs and no penalty was called in either case. How does Vs pick up the stick infraction and 3 on ice officials miss it.
Were you watching the game? Chara was hit with a puck not a stick.

tgerace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 09:37 AM
frankiesfly

Quote:
I agree with ya, the penalties where weak, especially the chara one that was bad. You cant blame the officiating because look what the bruins did the 18 minutes before those calls, and then the bad line change, the refs cant be blamed for that. Its too bad because thomas and the team played great going into the third. Like someone said it is unfortunate

frankiesfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 10:23 AM
stick9

They were out-skated, plain and simple.

I didn't think the calls were bad, not even late in the game. Then again if they weren't being out-skated they wouldn't be taking hooking and holding penalties.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 10:31 AM
stick9

Quote:
If it's a penalty in the first, it's a penalty in the 3rd.

I disagree on the Chara call. That was a clear cut holding call. He took his hand off his stick and grabbed onto a player that beat him. You have to call those.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 11:27 AM
DarrenBanks56

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
They were out-skated, plain and simple.

I didn't think the calls were bad, not even late in the game. Then again if they weren't being out-skated they wouldn't be taking hooking and holding penalties.
I agree, they were definitely outskated exept for about 5 minutes in the second.
Did Boyes get benched after not back checking on the 3rd BJ goal???
Also- the Chara penalty was marginal for already being down a man, but he should know thats been getting called all season. He does that alot. Stuarts was a penalty, but it was just his stick being in the wrong place at the wrong time- he didnt mean to trip that guy.

BJs deserved to win that game. When Sturm didnt finish off that breakaway, I knew it would come back to bite us

DarrenBanks56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Bruins4life77*

who cares they gained a point out of it and if you've looked at the standings there now in 8th place only 2 points back of 6th so stop the whining

Bruins4life77* is offline   Reply With Quote