Look who's back on track...

Old
12-27-2006, 12:18 PM
CombatOnContact

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Look who's back on track...

Marco Sturm:

After starting the season with 4 pts in 14 games, he has 8 g, 5 a, 13 pts in his last 16 games. He is coming on strong and has returned to the form that made him so lovable last season. I wish he had scored on one of his numerous chances last night but I guess we can't always have icing on the cake.

Any new rumblings about his desire to stay in Boston or test the market? I love Marco, but I only want him around if he wants to stay or at least will give it some thought.

CombatOnContact is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Punk

Send a message via MSN to Punk
I think sturms a goner after this season. He will be replaced by Chistov or Kessel next season, and by replaced i mean in terms of the bbs line, not production. I dont think its so bad though, the young guys will only get better by next season, and hopefully we get one of the k's up here next season.

Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 12:46 PM
chippa13*

I think Tenkrat gets the spot on Bergeron's line if Sturm's left wing is vacated.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 01:43 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa13 View Post
I think Tenkrat gets the spot on Bergeron's line if Sturm's left wing is vacated.
gawd, i hope not. i'd put chistov there 999 times out of 1,000 over tenkrat. is the honeymoon over for tenkrat with any of you guys? i thought he did some nice things early on, but he's been pretty useless of late, IMO (yet i still like him over hoggan!!)

as for sturm, i'd still be looking to replace him next season with a grittier player like hartnell.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 02:05 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
gawd, i hope not. i'd put chistov there 999 times out of 1,000 over tenkrat. is the honeymoon over for tenkrat with any of you guys? i thought he did some nice things early on, but he's been pretty useless of late, IMO (yet i still like him over hoggan!!)

as for sturm, i'd still be looking to replace him next season with a grittier player like hartnell.
I don't think is completely over (persay). But I have really noticed everything you were talking about early on. He seems to make some bonehead decisions at times, including: circling around in his zone and the neutral zone on a PP when there are no checkers on him, making blind passes to the middle of the offensive zone that lead to odd-man rushes, trying to skate the puck through a maze of players, etc. I still like him because I can see he's really trying to make himself useful. And for all his mistakes and bonehead blunders, he is still an offensive threat that break out any moment. He's a useful guy to have on the team because he can fill in a top 6 spot when needed and provide offense for the role/depth players if everyone is healthy.

All this being said though, I agree with you 100%. I would put Chistov with B&B over him 999 out of 1000.

Old
12-27-2006, 02:09 PM
chippa13*

Quote:

I suppose that is why Tenkrat filled in for Axelsson with Savard and Murray, and was spotted in there last night to give Axelsson a breather.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

My biggest concern is why was Sturm playing so badly at the first of the year. I know players go in slumps, but it worries me to see a top notch player, not try. There was a time there was something wasnt clicking with him as a player, and it was evident in his game. I really got him during this time, and thankfully he has picked up the slack.

If I'm in the office, I'm thinking, why was he playing like that, is it something that wont happen often, and will he try to stay in the form he is currently in. If the answers to these questions are all positive, then my next one is how can I resign him, and how much for. He fits on the Patty B line well (when playing like he has been). If we can't resign him, or he plans to test the market, I would move him before the deadline, for prospects and picks, and plug Chistov into that BBS line, I really continue to enjoy watching this kid play.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 02:22 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
My biggest concern is why was Sturm playing so badly at the first of the year. I know players go in slumps, but it worries me to see a top notch player, not try. There was a time there was something wasnt clicking with him as a player, and it was evident in his game. I really got him during this time, and thankfully he has picked up the slack.

If I'm in the office, I'm thinking, why was he playing like that, is it something that wont happen often, and will he try to stay in the form he is currently in. If the answers to these questions are all positive, then my next one is how can I resign him, and how much for. He fits on the Patty B line well (when playing like he has been). If we can't resign him, or he plans to test the market, I would move him before the deadline, for prospects and picks, and plug Chistov into that BBS line, I really continue to enjoy watching this kid play.
I chalk it up to "just a slow start" for Sturm. And truth be told, he's not really a top-notch player. He's more of a 2nd/3rd liner who can pop in a couple goals. 40-50 points is what anyone would expect out of him in a season. That means there is a minimum of 30-40 games where he does not score a point, meaning he'll go into slumps throughout the year. 4 points in his first 14 is a clear example of this.

Old
12-27-2006, 02:24 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
To a degree. He is starting to show glimpses of the complaints that have been levied against him.

Though I have to say Chistov's play along the boards last night that led to the winning Vyborny break away was not exactly one of the top 10 brightest moments in hockey. Then again, neither was everyone out there going for a line change.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 02:51 PM
amazingcrwns
IBelieveThatWeWilWin

Quote:

I agree and disagree with you on this one Nugs, I agree that I think Chistov is better for the Bruins then Tenkrat. However I would much rather spread the scoring across 3 lines with the team we've got right now and will still have next year.

For now with everyone healthy I'm happy with:
Ax - Savard - Muzz
Sturm - Bergeron - Boyes
Chistov - Kessel - Tenkrat
Mowers - Primeau - Donovan

And for next season with Sturm gone I'd like to keep Savard and Muzz together, keep Bergeron and Boyes together and keep Kessel and Chistov together:
Ax - Savard - Muzz
Tenkrat - Bergeron - Boyes
Chistov - Kessel - Prospect
Filler - Stastny - Donovan

I'd use Sturm's salary and the increase in cap to try to sign B. Stuart to an extension and try to fill a few holes in our top 12 with a prospect or 2.

Now back on topic,
It's great to see the BBS line starting to pick up the points on an individual basis. The team is really coming together and I think with a healthy Kessel we're only going to get better in the coming months. With the BBS line and the Ax Savard Muzz Line one of them is facing the oppositions 2nd defensive pairing every night and that's good news for our offense.

amazingcrwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
I chalk it up to "just a slow start" for Sturm. And truth be told, he's not really a top-notch player. He's more of a 2nd/3rd liner who can pop in a couple goals. 40-50 points is what anyone would expect out of him in a season. That means there is a minimum of 30-40 games where he does not score a point, meaning he'll go into slumps throughout the year. 4 points in his first 14 is a clear example of this.
I think he's capable of more : He shows the potential everytime he goes on a hot streak. I remember when he first came in he was elieved by more then a few to have the potential to really shine, and it seems the only thing that holds him back is his work ethic.

On the other side of the coin, if Sturm has maxed out his potential, I wouldnt mind seeing Chistov rotated into his spot, where he is a player who is improving game by game, and if he reaches his max potential, could turn out to be something special.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 03:00 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Maybe Versteeg or Karsums replaces him. In the cap era they're going to have to build from within.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 03:05 PM
erfus

Quote:

I always was intrigued by Tenkrat's speed, but never pegged him for 1st line duty. In that sense, his honeymoon is over. I still like him on the 12-man forward roster as a role player with jets and some scoring touch.

I am not sure why he's playing LW on his off-wing and seemingly has the responsibility for being the 1st forward back on the back-check though. That's Lewis' system though, so therefore he must play it. You wouldn't want to, say, adjust the system to get the most out of your players skill set. Oh no. That would be awful.

erfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 03:25 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
well i know Alex Tanguay started out with 5 in his first 14, and now has 26 in his last 19, so it definitely can happen.

a guy like shane doan, too, always starts out slow then goes on a tear in the second half

johnny cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd say Sturm is a very good second liner good for about 30 goals, 30 assists. Last year he averaged .5 goals a game playing for Boston so I had high expectations of him going into this year. He's playing good now, which is good to see. I wouldn't break the bank trying to resign him. I think Chistov could fill in very for him next year. Stuart is the key guy that Chiarelli needs to bring back.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote