HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

it looks like Dave Scatchard might be available again?

Old
12-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

vCash: 500
it looks like Dave Scatchard might be available again?

the guys on sportsnet were wondering if Scatchard might be on his way back to Vancouver in exchange for Matt Cooke?

If Scatchard does become available, wouldn't he address some issues Boston has with being able to handle physical play?

Scatchard might be a tad overpriced unless he is scoring 15-20 goals a season... but he is definitely a better defensive center than Primeau is.

With Primeau headed to UFA... I would offer him up as the primary trade asset to try to bring Scatchard back. Peonix would save over a million in cap hit making this deal, so it probably wouldn't take much of a throw in to make it work. Maybe give Phoenix back their draft pick they lost in the Mara deal... we get back the one we lost in that same deal... and then we give Phoenix some exchange of minor leagues we dont feel would ever play in the NHL that they like... and call the deal done?

Scatchard was run out of town after signing the UFA deal with us mostly cause he had a problem with the attitude that Thornton and the clique were showing from what I understand of the situation. With Thornton now gone... we could bring Scatchard back and let him once more become our defensive zone face off expert we were trying to acquire when we signed him in the first place.

Heck... I bet it wouldnt even be so aweful to have Scatchard become Kessel's RW for a couple years and take the faceoffs for Phil as Phil gets a chance to learn with a very good defensive responsible big winger riding shotgun for him.

I was quite unhappy when we ran Scatchard out of town in exchange for Tanabe. Here is a good chance to fix that problem if Scatchard is once again available... I'd like to see the deal happen if anyone from the Bruin's braintrust can be influenced by what I write here. Make it happen

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

Last thing our team needs is another Center.
When Kessel comes back he provides our team with another explosive player.

Right now what we're lacking is an offensive player to play with Chistov/Tenkrat now that PJ is healthy again.

I wouldnt mind getting Scatchard back, but at the money he makes and the length of his contract I'd pass. Save the cash for Mr.Stuart

12-27-2006, 04:34 PM
ranold26

Can we get Dallman and Fitzgerald back while we're at it.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post
Last thing our team needs is another Center.
When Kessel comes back he provides our team with another explosive player.

Right now what we're lacking is an offensive player to play with Chistov/Tenkrat now that PJ is healthy again.

I wouldnt mind getting Scatchard back, but at the money he makes and the length of his contract I'd pass. Save the cash for Mr.Stuart
I agree.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 04:37 PM
SToMper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Dallman

SToMper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 04:38 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
And then add Lacouture just to make sure. Let's leave last year's Bruins team in last year where it belongs.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 05:10 PM
EmptyNetter

Has Scatchard been able to sell the house he bought here yet?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Fair Warning

Nah, we already have plenty of centers. If we're looking for physical play, we should concentrate on wingers and D.

Fair Warning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 06:02 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFan09 View Post
Nah, we already have plenty of centers. If we're looking for physical play, we should concentrate on wingers and D.
Getting George Laraque would help a lot.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 06:07 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Getting George Laraque would help a lot.
That I'd like to see. Too bad he'd never play with Lewis' no fighting system.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 06:33 PM
chippa13*

Say, Travis Green scored a flukey goal last night, let's wheel some youth to get his grit back, while we're at it.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Not with that price tag.

Big picture, Mike. Big picture.

The NHL isn't playing with Monopoly money anymore.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 07:29 PM
DOGSTARMAN

No interest in Dave Scatchard. He was good in the old NHL when he was a tad younger. Now, he's not really the ticket. If we really want toughness, but with enough skill to play some too, there are cheaper, better options.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 07:35 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I have always been a Scatchard guy and almost did the Scarface scene (with a pillow bat) when I heard the deal for Tanabe; he was a perfect third line center when a 'figure skating element' was not part of the NHL. He is costly and we would have to sit him out against any game Pollack and Dwyer ref because they would call him for a minimum 2 Mickey Mouse penalties and certainly either a call to put the Bruins 2 man down on a kill, or last 3 minutes of a game. No thanks.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

I think Scatchard is in a wrong fit at the moment and is a better player than his 'numbers' would indicate. When we signed him we were expecting a guy that is good defensively... will play with grit... is a leader... is wonderful at making key faceoff wins... and is just at the prime years of his career.

This is a guy who has usually been considered to be one of the top 3-4 3rd line centers in the NHL any given year over the better part of this last decade.

Unless I am wrong about why we moved him... and if he really was just thown to the wolves to try to make Thornton and company happy... this guy is a guy that you build good teams with.

He has shown throughout his career too that he doesnt mind playing wing. He can play easily with Kessel and take the faceoffs for Kessel and take over defensive assignments when necessary to aid Kessel's growth.

Let's project what his pickup would mean... assuming we can get him and move primeau at the same time...

it is a million dollar a year hit to the cap immediately... i think we can absorb it given that BStuart/PJ Axelsson/Mara have all missed nearly 30 games between them and been replaced by guys making far less money during that time.

The Savard/Murray/Axelsson line can be left untouched.
as can the Bergeron/Sturm/Boyes line... they arent broken... they dont need to be fixed.

Then Scatchard can join Kessel and maybe Donovan or Chistov on a line that should have 60 goal potential if Kessel comes back healthy... and should be ok defensively to take a regular shift too. For my money Scatchard is a HUGE improvement over Primeau.

Our fourth line inherits the loser of Donovan/Chistov and then patches together with Mowers/Tenkrat to be a decent energy line that wont be needing to try to shut down opponent top lines anymore.

This move might take up the cap room we have available this year... but it would address most of the team's needs if made IMO,

We can take our chances with BStuart since there are other UFA good enough to complete our top 6 that will be on the market next year. I dont think we need to deal him off for 'fear' we will lose him if we have a legit shot at making playoff noise.

There may not be a lot of potential UFA available to replace Sturm at his 2 mill per year... but we have some kids that are going to fight for top 6 spots at camp next season.

Scatchard wouldnt be for just this year.

Unless we plan to move one of Savard/Bergeron... Kessel is going to be struggling for linemates for the next 3 years anyhow. Scatchard does the things well that Kessel does not... and Scatchard isnt a total slug in the defensive zone... and he is just a good pro that Kessel could well learn from.

I have to admit I think MOC did a bad job with keeping moral up on the team last year and then did some bad trades when moral dropped on a few guys. I think our team was pretty good the last couple years if the guys would have had better leadership in the locker room and behind the bench and in the front office.

Leadership issues have been largely addressed and with just a bit more push in the right direction should be totally looked after any moment.

Getting Dallman back would be stupid. He is a marginal AHL talent. Getting Fitgereld back prob wouldn't have been all that bad of an idea compared to watching Hoggan play this season. He was old though and wasn't going to be an answer for anything more than a 13th forward pressbox guy.

I think Travis Green definitely would have been an improvement to keep over Mark Mowers or Yan Stantsny given the salary realities of these guys and what each brings to the table... at least for what he delivers on the ice anyhow. Green has had a reputation for being hard to deal with in the locker room himself...

We made a big mistaked dealing Scatchard off instead of Thornton when things first started to go south last year... Primeau is too expensive to be a fourth line guy and not good enough to be a third line guy. In today's NHL, that makes him unvaluable. I doubt this deal I propose makes Phoenix jump for joy... but they are dumping contracts and that is all I really offer them... along with the marginal prospect/pick improvements to sell to their fans.

As for everyone that commented on this thread... i do think it is a bit narrow minded to view Scatchard as just a center when his best years were often played skating mostly as a wing. He can play center... and he is great on faceoffs... but his style of play is a grinding style and really quite nicely suited to playing wing.

As for people who joked that we go out and bring back players that wouldnt help us... I am not sure your point. Maybe you think I want every ex-Bruin back? I sure dont. I wouldnt mind getting the ones that would help the team back though if the deals favored us when we would make the trade.

There is more than one possible way to go to improve the team. i think it is important that any deal we make addresses the needs of the team beyond this year as well as helping this year too.

I dont see many potential ufa forwards that figure to be available that can help the team next season as much as Scatchard will. Sturm will likely be gone if he manages anything close to 30 goals this year. If Sturm does leave, we will have a lot of youth in our forward crop and some vet leadership wouldnt be such an aweful thing to have.

I liked the Scatchard deal last year at 2.1 mill even with the smaller cap that was in place... I hated the trade that sent him away cause we needed grit... and now there is a possibility to get him back as part of a salary dump... I think it is a no brainer to jump all over this one if that is true.

Old
12-27-2006, 07:41 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
I think Scatchard is in a wrong fit at the moment and is a better player than his 'numbers' would indicate. When we signed him we were expecting a guy that is good defensively... will play with grit... is a leader... is wonderful at making key faceoff wins... and is just at the prime years of his career.

This is a guy who has usually been considered to be one of the top 3-4 3rd line centers in the NHL any given year over the better part of this last decade.

Unless I am wrong about why we moved him... and if he really was just thown to the wolves to try to make Thornton and company happy... this guy is a guy that you build good teams with.

He has shown throughout his career too that he doesnt mind playing wing. He can play easily with Kessel and take the faceoffs for Kessel and take over defensive assignments when necessary to aid Kessel's growth.

Let's project what his pickup would mean... assuming we can get him and move primeau at the same time...

it is a million dollar a year hit to the cap immediately... i think we can absorb it given that BStuart/PJ Axelsson/Mara have all missed nearly 30 games between them and been replaced by guys making far less money during that time.

The Savard/Murray/Axelsson line can be left untouched.
as can the Bergeron/Sturm/Boyes line... they arent broken... they dont need to be fixed.

Then Scatchard can join Kessel and maybe Donovan or Chistov on a line that should have 60 goal potential if Kessel comes back healthy... and should be ok defensively to take a regular shift too. For my money Scatchard is a HUGE improvement over Primeau.

Our fourth line inherits the loser of Donovan/Chistov and then patches together with Mowers/Tenkrat to be a decent energy line that wont be needing to try to shut down opponent top lines anymore.

This move might take up the cap room we have available this year... but it would address most of the team's needs if made IMO,

We can take our chances with BStuart since there are other UFA good enough to complete our top 6 that will be on the market next year. I dont think we need to deal him off for 'fear' we will lose him if we have a legit shot at making playoff noise.

There may not be a lot of potential UFA available to replace Sturm at his 2 mill per year... but we have some kids that are going to fight for top 6 spots at camp next season.

Scatchard wouldnt be for just this year.

Unless we plan to move one of Savard/Bergeron... Kessel is going to be struggling for linemates for the next 3 years anyhow. Scatchard does the things well that Kessel does not... and Scatchard isnt a total slug in the defensive zone... and he is just a good pro that Kessel could well learn from.

I have to admit I think MOC did a bad job with keeping moral up on the team last year and then did some bad trades when moral dropped on a few guys. I think our team was pretty good the last couple years if the guys would have had better leadership in the locker room and behind the bench and in the front office.

Leadership issues have been largely addressed and with just a bit more push in the right direction should be totally looked after any moment.

Getting Dallman back would be stupid. He is a marginal AHL talent. Getting Fitgereld back prob wouldn't have been all that bad of an idea compared to watching Hoggan play this season. He was old though and wasn't going to be an answer for anything more than a 13th forward pressbox guy.

I think Travis Green definitely would have been an improvement to keep over Mark Mowers or Yan Stantsny given the salary realities of these guys and what each brings to the table... at least for what he delivers on the ice anyhow. Green has had a reputation for being hard to deal with in the locker room himself...

We made a big mistaked dealing Scatchard off instead of Thornton when things first started to go south last year... Primeau is too expensive to be a fourth line guy and not good enough to be a third line guy. In today's NHL, that makes him unvaluable. I doubt this deal I propose makes Phoenix jump for joy... but they are dumping contracts and that is all I really offer them... along with the marginal prospect/pick improvements to sell to their fans.

As for everyone that commented on this thread... i do think it is a bit narrow minded to view Scatchard as just a center when his best years were often played skating mostly as a wing. He can play center... and he is great on faceoffs... but his style of play is a grinding style and really quite nicely suited to playing wing.

As for people who joked that we go out and bring back players that wouldnt help us... I am not sure your point. Maybe you think I want every ex-Bruin back? I sure dont. I wouldnt mind getting the ones that would help the team back though if the deals favored us when we would make the trade.

There is more than one possible way to go to improve the team. i think it is important that any deal we make addresses the needs of the team beyond this year as well as helping this year too.

I dont see many potential ufa forwards that figure to be available that can help the team next season as much as Scatchard will. Sturm will likely be gone if he manages anything close to 30 goals this year. If Sturm does leave, we will have a lot of youth in our forward crop and some vet leadership wouldnt be such an aweful thing to have.

I liked the Scatchard deal last year at 2.1 mill even with the smaller cap that was in place... I hated the trade that sent him away cause we needed grit... and now there is a possibility to get him back as part of a salary dump... I think it is a no brainer to jump all over this one if that is true.
Dave Scatchard could be called for a penalty every time he hits the ice in today's game- I wouldn't take him for free in today's NHL. I loved him in the old days but you've got to be kidding me- he is the Andrew Alberts of forwards. 'Need to call a penalty on the Bruins? Alberts or Scatchard take your pick.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

i dont actually make trades... so this thread is just my wishful thinking...

I will say though as far as taking penalties goes... Scatchard has 60 mins this year and the guy I am proposing we take out of the lineup has 52. Scatchard has always been a guy to get 120-150 pms a year playing the hard nose style he plays. His numbers haven't gone crazy now with the new rules. His adjustment to the new game is pretty good.

What is a problem for scatchard the last 2 years, is that he didnt like the Thornton atmosphere in the clubhouse in Boston. He got involved in a powerstruggle he had no chance of winning. When he was moved, the Thornton camp immediately let word out that Scatchard was not part of their circuis.

Once Scatchard got to Phoenix he had to put up with the style of coaching Gretzky employs. It isn't really a style that has let another solid grit guy like Doan thrive either and Ricci looks all buy finished overnight playing in that system.

Scatchard is a guy who with 14 mins of ice and no PP time has almost been a 30 goal scorer in this league. He turns 31 in Feb so he sure isn't likely on his last legs. I see there is no love here to get him back, but put me on record I think this is going to be one I can do an I told you so in a couple years once Scatchard gets out of Phoenix and returns to 20 goal form in a better enviroment. With his defensive skills and face off ability, he will be quite the bargain then contract wise.

On a side note... anyone notice that Samuel Paulsson is starting to have people champion him for Selke consideration? I remember the fans here tearing the boy apart when he was supposed to be the next 'forsberg.' some questionable coaching decesions let a few of our young guys leave without ever getting a shot to prove themselves with the team back then. Paulsson netted us Traverse and Nazarov in the deal. I liked Nazarov for my own reasons... but this was not a good trade for us even when Traverse was later used to rent the underrated Weinrich for a playoff run.

I keep going around on how to improve the Bruins considering the way our cap room is spent. We can't do much unless we are willing to move one of Stuart/Mara... so it is tiny improvements we are really looking at. With maybe a mill... maybe a bit more of available room to move under... we need to upgrade the third line. Kessel will be back soon and should be on the third line. He is an upgrade by himself, but we need a linemate for him that can help him out that wont cost much more than 2 mill a year.

who else is there out there that might fit the job description? Bill Guerin? Jason Allison? Gary Roberts? I think Scatchard would better suit my tastes looking into the future than these guys would. I think Scatchard would prob be more of a complement to Kessel overall too.

I sure know I'd rather have Scatchard than Primeau and to me... that is what this all comes down to. Primeau will be an UFA soon. His bland style seems to be ok for Phoenix as they figure to suck for the next couple years until they move their franchise to a better market. They could resign him and save money over what Scatchard would cost them.

I like the deal... what can I say. But there are other deals I dont mind too. I do hope something is done to improve the third line and to help Kessel succeed. I have confidence in the current regime to do what they can to make it work.

Old
12-27-2006, 11:30 PM
DOGSTARMAN

>> What is a problem for scatchard the last 2 years, is that he didnt like the Thornton atmosphere in the clubhouse in Boston. He got involved in a powerstruggle he had no chance of winning. When he was moved, the Thornton camp immediately let word out that Scatchard was not part of their circuis.

And how do you claim to know this as fact?

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 01:28 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

If I remember right, Scatchard had a hard time adjusting to the new NHL in Boston. And his stats from this year seem to support that (only 7pts while being -16 ). Primeau looks like the much better player right now (way cheaper too). But you're right, we should be looking at the Coyotes to make a deal, since a lot of their players stock has fallen somewhat. I'd love to pry Doan from them, but for who? Sturm & Jurcina?

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 02:56 AM
Whale

according to the Canucks post game show lots of Bruins scouts were at the Van-Cal game tonight

No one wants Scatch...

How about:

Salo
Cooke
2nd round pick

for

Y. Stasny
Chitsov

This deal helps your PP and especially the PK, and gives us some youth and much needed pazazz up front

It is financially possible for both teams too

Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 03:24 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

I really like Salo but I am not sure he would help our PP. Right or wrong we are paying Chara 7.5 mill a season and playing him 30 mins a night. He is on the PP ahead of Salo.

We want Bergeron and Savard on the ice for the PP together too. Only one can play center so the other needs to be on the point the way that we work it. Bergeron is a faster/quicker puck mover than Salo would be.

We actually have two above average PP guys in Mara/BStuart who are being wasted due to this reality... and a couple kids with huge shots in Alberts/Jurcina who don't see a sniff of PP time because of this reality.

I think though... Cooke and a second is pretty fair value for Chistov and Statsny even up... If we took Salo and then immediately flipped him for another draft pick, this deal would be something Id have to jump all over if I am the B's management.

I really think Chistov could become something good... but at this moment there is no guarantee at all he will ever be a more useful NHL player than Cooke already is.

As to what I am saying about Scatchard/Thornton and company... it was actually stated as a fact on a couple of the trade/rumor sights as analysis of the trade at the time that it went down... but beyond that I just listen to a lot of interviews with people. I used to plan my whole day around when McGuire would do his shows on various radio stations and McKenzie and Bowman and Neale and Davidson and so many other guys that get little 10 minute segments here and there to be 'insiders'

I know that these guys arent always right, but they usually have at least one source they are trusting before they get to controversial. Scatchards trade was blamed on the Bruin locker room when it happened. Scatchard himself said things that seemed to back this up and none of the Bruins being interviewed on the issue seemed to change my opinion at the time that this was the main motivation for the deal.

Tanabe did add some mobility to the blueline... but he was so highly reguarded that we just walked away from his award in the offseason so that we could sign York instead.

I dont think moving Scatchard had much to do with what was happening on the ice.

Remember also that while Scatchard didnt excel on the ice for us... if I am right and he had a war going on in the locker room against the clique... and if he is a winner... and if the team was struggling... then chances are he was trying to do too much and was maybe taking a few penalties as a result which was frustrating him?

Almost every player needs to be put into the right situation to maximize his effectiveness. Not many are that much better than the other players on the ice that they can just go out there and march to their own drummers. Scatchard has been one hell of a player most his career. He is a winner that plays with grit can score 20 goals and wins the lion's share of key faceoffs he takes. He is a good worker on picking up defensive assignments and shows up for important games.

I will say again, he is a guy I would take on my team even with the cap concerns and his contract cause in the right situation he'd be a good bargain for what he delivers on the ice and in the locker room.

Old
12-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
according to the Canucks post game show lots of Bruins scouts were at the Van-Cal game tonight

No one wants Scatch...

How about:

Salo
Cooke
2nd round pick

for

Y. Stasny
Chitsov

This deal helps your PP and especially the PK, and gives us some youth and much needed pazazz up front

It is financially possible for both teams too
Dont you think they should add in either Luongo or Naslund too?

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote