HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers' 2004 draft picks

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2003, 07:24 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Oilers' 2004 draft picks

Well, I'm officially bored, so I'll bring this up. As far as I can tell, the Oilers have all their own picks this year, with the following modifications:

+ losing Leetch (most likely a 2nd)
+ losing Swanson (8th-9th?)
+ the Josh Green trade was for a "conditional pick in 2004". In the OGRB it says "future considerations". So who knows if there's actually a pick coming the Oilers' way.
- pick for Leetch (rumor is 2 rounds down from what the Oilers get - so a 4th maybe?)
- conditional pick for Dopita. Who know's if this will amount to anything, either. Again, it says "future considerations" in the OGRB.

So am I missing anything?

Old
12-01-2003, 07:30 PM
Allan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
+ the Josh Green trade was for a "conditional pick in 2004". In the OGRB it says "future considerations". So who knows if there's actually a pick coming the Oilers' way.
- conditional pick for Dopita. Who know's if this will amount to anything, either. Again, it says "future considerations" in the OGRB.
I'm pretty sure the condition of the pick was that Josh Green signed with the Rangers, but he wouldn't, so they waived him and he went to Washington, so I don't think the Oilers get anything there.

I can't see how they would get anything for Dopita - they didn't lose him, they bought him out to get rid of him.

What is the OGRB?

Old
12-01-2003, 07:35 PM
streetballer03

<font face=verdana size=1><b>Has nothing to do with it but, as long as we get Robbie Shremph or something, I will be a happy camper in 2004.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:15 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetballer03
<FONT face=verdana size=1>Has nothing to do with it but, as long as we get Robbie Shremph or something, I will be a happy camper in 2004.
<FONT size=2>I highly doubt Schremp goes after 14... and with the current Oilers team, if Conklin plays well, you guys are in the playoffs.</FONT>

Old
12-01-2003, 08:20 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I'm pretty sure the condition of the pick was that Josh Green signed with the Rangers, but he wouldn't, so they waived him and he went to Washington, so I don't think the Oilers get anything there.
Maybe, but can a trade actually be made for nothing? I was under the impression that it can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I can't see how they would get anything for Dopita - they didn't lose him, they bought him out to get rid of him.

What is the OGRB?
That was a minus beside Dopita. So, officially, as far as I can tell, the Oilers gave up a 3rd rounder in 2003 and future considerations (although at the time we heard it was a conditional pick in 2004 - I think 4th or 5th rounder).

The OGRB is the Official Guide & Record Book. I usually call it the Bible, but I know that's not really any more helpful! Anyway, it's probably my favorite book of all time.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:24 PM
momentai

Since Dopita didn't last the year, I don't think whatever conditions that pick was under apply. I'm not sure but I don't think we'll lose a pick for Dopita this year.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:26 PM
Mizral

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the picks in the Niinimaa deal for '04? I might be thinking of Glen Wesley though.

Oh, and something should be had for the Marchant signing.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:26 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Maybe, but can a trade actually be made for nothing? I was under the impression that it can't.
I don't think it can, but an opportunity to get a draft pick does qualify as something, I guess. I sounds a bit odd to me too, but that's what I read. I think it was in the Journal in the summer, but no chance in hell I could find it again. Sorry.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:32 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the picks in the Niinimaa deal for '04? I might be thinking of Glen Wesley though.
Yep, that must've been Wesley. The pick going to NYI was a 2nd in 2003. I think that's the one they picked Tunik with.

Quote:
No such luck for the Oilers. Lowe gambled, and must have decided that having Marchant for the playoffs outweighed whatever return the could have gotten for him at the trade deadline.

Anyway, Marchant was a Class V free agent, and there's no compensation given for losing them.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:33 PM
momentai

Quote:

It was for '03 Mizral.

For Marchant, he was a group V free agent. I think that's the right number but I could be wrong. We do not get compensation.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:59 PM
kruezer

Hey Seachd, Theoretically you can't trade nothing for something. But often teams just thrown in 'futures' and then forget about it.

Old
12-03-2003, 07:25 AM
Seachd

Whoops, I screwed up. Swanson was a Group VI free agent, so no pick.

Old
12-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Since Dopita didn't last the year, I don't think whatever conditions that pick was under apply. I'm not sure but I don't think we'll lose a pick for Dopita this year.
Yeah, if I remember correctly (which is a rare occasion these days), the conditional pick would be given to Philly if EDM re-signed Dopita at the end of the year.

Since we all know how that turned out, there will be no pick going to Philly.

Old
12-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
According to my interview with Prendergast back in August...The Oilers also get a 2nd round pick from the Rangers in the Jussi Markkanen trade, although I'm not sure what year that's for.

Old
12-03-2003, 01:59 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
According to my interview with Prendergast back in August...The Oilers also get a 2nd round pick from the Rangers in the Jussi Markkanen trade, although I'm not sure what year that's for.
Seachd got that one on the top. I believe that the 2nd rounder is the Leetch compensation pick as far as I can understand. I thought the deal was as follows:

Jussi + futures for the rights to Brian Leetch

Subsequently, the Leetch pick would garner us a second rounder while the future considerations would involve a lower pick going the other way for New York.

I could be wrong. But I think that's what Kevin was talking about.

Closed Thread