HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-27-2006, 03:07 PM
  #1
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Halak

Any opinions about how good he is? Potential?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 06:49 PM
  #2
Rather Gingerly 1*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
I may be jumping the gun but I would predict a future Huet or Naborov type. I think he will be just as good a career as Price

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 08:14 PM
  #3
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com
 
Buffalo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rochester
Posts: 7,254
vCash: 500
Jaroslav Halak

I haven't had a chance to see this guy play at all. He's got great stats but do the stats tell the whole story? I have quite a few questions, feel free to answer as many as you want:

Is he playing that well?
What is his NHL potential?
Could he get a chance in the NHL as soon as next year?
Is Price still considered the franchise goalie?
How do they compare?

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 08:29 PM
  #4
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,645
vCash: 567
The first 2 questions are tough to answer because most Habs fans have only seen Halak once and it was a mediocre game for him this year against the Marlies. The other games on TV had Danis starting. Qui Gon Dave and montreal who get the Bulldogs games on B2 networks should be able to answer those 2 questions.

He could definitely get a chance next year with Aebischer being a UFA and looking to be a starter.

However, Price is most certainly still considered the goalie of the future. Price simply has more physical tools than Halak, mostly a huge size difference and considering the investment in Price the Habs have made, he'll be given the opportunities to be the future in net for this franchise.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 10:41 PM
  #5
Strong and Free
Registered User
 
Strong and Free's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oshawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Like many, I have not seen a whole lotta Halak, but my opinion is that he will be a career backup. I am a goalie myself and love to critique the position and I would say he is great at covering the bottom of the net but does not have the size to be an elite goalie in the NHL. I hope I am wrong and he goes on to win a dozen Cups playing in a tandum with Price, but I just don't see it.

Price on the other hand..... AMAZING style, technique, composure, and puck control. Future NHL STAR!!! (or so my humble opinion goes )

Strong and Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 10:42 PM
  #6
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 24,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I haven't had a chance to see this guy play at all. He's got great stats but do the stats tell the whole story? I have quite a few questions, feel free to answer as many as you want:

Is he playing that well?
What is his NHL potential?
Could he get a chance in the NHL as soon as next year?
Is Price still considered the franchise goalie?
How do they compare?

He's playing well, imo some of the games he wasn't tested all that much but he's stopping the puck and that's what matters.

I don't know what his NHL potential is but when your leading the AHL in save % and gaa and SO's as a rookie, one would think he has a good chance to see some time in the NHL. He's been really impressive everywhere he's played at every level he's played and he continues to get better.

I have no clue what will happen next year. Off the top of my head next year is the last year he can play in the AHL without having to clear waivers so the organization has some time to make a decision on him. Huet, Halak and at some point Carey Price will be under contract for next year. No clue what the team does with Aebischer, I'd be surprised if he was back next year. Yann Danis has been playing much better of late, he's a UFA this summer, no clue what the team will do with him either. Perhaps we could see Price, Halak and Danis fighting for the backup to Huet at camp next fall. It's really hard to know what Gainey has planned.

I can't speak for the Habs but when you pick a guy 5th overall and he's the best goalie at your NHL camp at 18 and 19 (according to others, I wasn't there so I didn't see it) Imo Price is still the future goalie, but at 19 (doesn't turn 20 till August) he's got a lot of time still.

Price and Halak dont' really compare. Price is huge but quick, what a glove hand he has and his puck skills are NHL level already. Halak is small and he plays an unusual style. His puck skills aren't the best and at times he stays too deep in net.


Quote:
Any opinions about how good he is? Potential?
It's funny but I find he's been better recently (not counting tonight cause I didn't get to focus on much of it since the Habs were on at the same time) but I find he's been better recently then in some of the shutout's he's had this year. I don't know how good he is, he's having a great year so far, but we'll need to see if he can keep it up all year long. Not saying I'm not impressed or that I think he will fall back but those numbers he's putting up are downright sick. It would be outstanding if he could come close to putting up those numbers over the full season. Hamilton I beleive is the 5th youngest team in the AHL, so it's not like the team is stacked full of vets although the defense has only 1 rookie in O'Byrne and that's where most of their experience comes from.

I really don't know what his potential is. I've seen him at the WJC's, in the Q, ECHL and AHL and I have been very impressed with what I've seen most of the time. With the numbers he's putting up I'd think he will see some NHL time at some point.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 10:52 PM
  #7
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,994
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Well based on deja-vu events, this is my opinion on him. Back around 4-5 years ago we had Theodore, Hackett, Vokoun and Garon. Hackett was starting, but then Theodore stole the show, Vokoun was a good goalie but couldnt get his shot and was claimed in the waiver draft by Nashville, once he was gone Garon began tearing up the AHL. Hackett was traded and Garon became the backup.

Now look at today: we have Huet, Aebischer and then we have Halak who represents Vokoun, while Danis is like Garon. The only difference here is that Price is on his way. Danis im sure can get the job done as an NHL #1, but i dont know how many games he can play in a row. Halak reminds me of Vokoun based on this and European name. It is also coincidental because he is sort of the lost guy in the organization.

We'll see what happens, but i think Danis is the odd man out, sort of like Jason LaBarbera.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 07:04 AM
  #8
Rather Gingerly 1*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
Well based on deja-vu events, this is my opinion on him. Back around 4-5 years ago we had Theodore, Hackett, Vokoun and Garon. Hackett was starting, but then Theodore stole the show, Vokoun was a good goalie but couldnt get his shot and was claimed in the waiver draft by Nashville, once he was gone Garon began tearing up the AHL. Hackett was traded and Garon became the backup.

Now look at today: we have Huet, Aebischer and then we have Halak who represents Vokoun, while Danis is like Garon. The only difference here is that Price is on his way. Danis im sure can get the job done as an NHL #1, but i dont know how many games he can play in a row. Halak reminds me of Vokoun based on this and European name. It is also coincidental because he is sort of the lost guy in the organization.

We'll see what happens, but i think Danis is the odd man out, sort of like Jason LaBarbera.

Agree on your Halak=Vokoun comparsion. But Price is the goalie of the future.

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 02:38 PM
  #9
hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
I am not sold on price being the starter and halak being a backup....
with goaltenders stats mean EVERYTHING

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 05:18 PM
  #10
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,096
vCash: 500
I have been impressed primarily with the progress that Halak has consistently shown to date. When I saw him in the WJC, I was impressed with his reflexes and natural acrobatic ability. I drafted him in my FHL before knowing the Habs would take him. In juniors, he started to develop "technique". And so far in seeing him as a pro (and I'll be at Copps again tomorrow night, hope he plays) I am impressed with the great strides he has made in playing his angles and neutralizing rebounds. He still has a few strides to make... I'd say challenging shooters more and puckhandling need to be brought up to NHL standards still... but he is making phenomenal progress at every stage along the way, so I think one more year in the AHL should get his technique nailed down in a great way to complement his natural ability. Past that, it's anybody's guess. He'll play in the NHL, but whether it's ultimately as a backup, a starter, or an elite starter, well, I couldn't guess... every step up needs more progress and more adjustments, and while Halak has been adept at that thus far, one never ever knows when it will all come to a crashing halt for a goalie. He's definitely not ready for the NHL yet, IMHO, however I think he is showing in the AHL so far that he deserves to be mentioned among the top goaltending prospects in the game.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 05:23 PM
  #11
Rather Gingerly 1*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I have been impressed primarily with the progress that Halak has consistently shown to date. When I saw him in the WJC, I was impressed with his reflexes and natural acrobatic ability. I drafted him in my FHL before knowing the Habs would take him. In juniors, he started to develop "technique". And so far in seeing him as a pro (and I'll be at Copps again tomorrow night, hope he plays) I am impressed with the great strides he has made in playing his angles and neutralizing rebounds. He still has a few strides to make... I'd say challenging shooters more and puckhandling need to be brought up to NHL standards still... but he is making phenomenal progress at every stage along the way, so I think one more year in the AHL should get his technique nailed down in a great way to complement his natural ability. Past that, it's anybody's guess. He'll play in the NHL, but whether it's ultimately as a backup, a starter, or an elite starter, well, I couldn't guess... every step up needs more progress and more adjustments, and while Halak has been adept at that thus far, one never ever knows when it will all come to a crashing halt for a goalie. He's definitely not ready for the NHL yet, IMHO, however I think he is showing in the AHL so far that he deserves to be mentioned among the top goaltending prospects in the game.

Danis is at least a backup caliber NHL goalie. Look at guys like Aubin, Gerber or Conklin. Halak is miles better than Danis. And, 4 years younger

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 05:38 PM
  #12
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1 View Post
Danis is at least a backup caliber NHL goalie. Look at guys like Aubin, Gerber or Conklin. Halak is miles better than Danis. And, 4 years younger
Danis (or Halak) may be able to handle NHL action in a pure-backup role, but I don't call that being ideally ready. I wouldn't particularly want to have Aubin, Gerber, or Conklin as my backup either, mind you. Ideally, I want a guy who can actually stand in, a 50/30 split situation, not a situation like New Jersey or whoever else relies on a 70+ game guy and fringe filler for the backup spot. And then, even if Danis or Halak are ready to be "fringe filler" players at the NHL level, I'd rather see them playing alternating as starters in the AHL and continuing to develop rather than just open the door on the bench for an entire season.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 06:45 PM
  #13
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 21,935
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Danis (or Halak) may be able to handle NHL action in a pure-backup role, but I don't call that being ideally ready. And then, even if Danis or Halak are ready to be "fringe filler" players at the NHL level, I'd rather see them playing alternating as starters in the AHL and continuing to develop rather than just open the door on the bench for an entire season.
Well that's what they do this year, but next season one of them will get the call in Montreal and Carey Price will take over in Hamilton. Keeping in mind Price need to play a lot both Halak and Danis will be in a back-up role either in the big league or in the 'A'.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 02:55 PM
  #14
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
I'm not really an expert on the finer points of goaltending, I prefer to concentrate on the guys trying to beat them, but so far I have been impressed with Jaro. There have been a number of things that impressed me about his play:
- His puck control is very good. He isn't at all afraid to leave the net and play the puck (which can lead to some breath holding, but most of the time he seems assertive and confident enough to do the right thing).
- His rebound control has also been a pleasent sight (particularly when compared to Danis who has struggled this year with his rebounds). A lot of shots just seem to stick to him. When he does give up a rebound, he can usually do a good job of sending them to a less dangerous part of the rink. There is still room to improve here i think, but assuming he can keep a similar rate of progression up through his development, it shouldn't be much of an issue.
- His ability to make a big save at a crucial time. He has kept the Dogs in games long enough for them to comeback. He has won games for the Dogs too. And he can hold a lead. He seems to have a good mental approach to the game. His play for the most part this season has been at least good, although there have been a few games when he has been shakey. There was one instance about a month ago, i think, where he had a bad game (i think he got pulled halfway through). Don Lever said afterwards that he didn't think Jaro was ready to play that night, so he put him right back in net the next game. He played very well, got the win and I think had a shutout. It was nice to see him rise to the challenge of his coach like that.

As for his stats, I'd say he deserves them for the most part. When someone puts up numbers like that, it's very easy to get excited about them and expect similar numbers over a prolonged period of time. It might be that over the next 30 games, his stats aren't at that high level, but his development is the key thing here. As long as he plays well and helps the Dogs win, that is the main thing. I don't know too much about him off the rink or how he approaches games, but I hope he doesn't see his stats as a benchmark of where he needs to be. Hopefully he focuses on all the things he is doing right, regardless of if he is top of the league in certain categories. Fortunately, he has one of the better goalie coaches to keep him grounded and focus on the important things, as well as a more than capable challenge for the position of goaltender for the Bulldogs in Danis. But you don't get stats like that by accident, he has worked hard for them and you can see his ability in action on the rink. I think as long as he doesn't read too much into those stats, he'll be just fine, but he certainly deserves some recognition or favourable measure of his contribution to the Dogs this year.

As for him playing in the NHL next year, there is an outside chance of it, but it wouldn't be for a regular spot unless something happens to (at least one of) the guys above him. He has shown enough so far to suggest he has the potential to be a decent NHL goalie but it is all dependant upon his continued development. He is doing well in the AHL right now and needs to continue his hard work and refine his technique in order to reach the next level of play.

In regards to Price, I have seen very, very little of him, so for me to try and compare them or accurately place him within the Habs organisation would be unfair. From all I have heard and read, he seems to be an excellent young goalie with a lot of skills at his disposal which he can work on in the coming years. Hopefully he makes the best of his opportunites. If everything works out for the best, it would be a nice problem for the Habs to have if Huet continues in similar form, Halak proves he is an NHL capable goalie and Price lives up to expectations. Who knows, we might finally be able to trade one of them for Vinnie

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.