HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AHL affiliate

Old
12-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Afterglow

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Afterglow
in the event of a true split, would oilers coaches comprise any of the coaching staff? to me, this is the biggest issue. i want our prospects developing under the tutelage of coaches that actually care about helping our players achieve their potential.

Afterglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

I'm not sweating the lack of AHL affiliate team. As much as I'd like to believe the Oiler development system has 20 or more legitimate prospects, history reminds me otherwise.

There are only a handful of legitmate NHL prospects who will ever emerge in any system. The most important development that will take place at this level will likely take place between their ears. All have reasonable skill and ability to get that far in hockey's food chain. Heart, character, perseverence, and ability to deal with adversity then become critical in separating oneself from the herd.

It's a tough, unforgiving business where very few make it to the NHL. To get there, you have to earn your shot and battle other individuals who seek the same. Last year hurt JDD specifically (the only player imo whose development suffered). While he could have folded under this 'unfair treatment', JDD has shown great resilence this year with a pretty good season. Pretty positive stuff imo for a position that requires big time mental strength to succeed.

I think a split team will be sufficient to instil competition and some 'tutoring' by Oiler management. Hockey life can be unfair but there is a small window of opportunity to prove your merit or stall out. Good prospects with ability and strong character will find a way to contribute.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Sorry to bring this thread up again, but i found an interesting article surrounding our AHL status:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...01911-sun.html

The situation seems kinda bleak.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 07:14 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

A move of Stockton to the AHL doesn't make sense unless there are three-five other AHL teams ready to move to the West Coast at the same time -- putting your AHL affiliate into a situation where they're THAT isolated from even their own division foes is asking for the team to fail financially, even with the best attendance in the ECHL.

Now, if Stockton, Fresno, Bakersfield, Ontario (California), San Diego, and Las Vegas (or even four of the above six) all managed to land AHL franchises at the same time, it MIGHT work -- but when are you ever going to get that many ownership groups willing to pay $2 million+ to buy AHL teams AND get three to five owners willing to sell, knowing their teams would be relocated?

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 02:20 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

So, here's a thought.

IF, (and I stress IF) the Penguins end up moving to KC or to Houston, might the Oilers place the Baby Oil into Mellon Area in Pittsburgh?

Discuss.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 04:16 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
So, here's a thought.

IF, (and I stress IF) the Penguins end up moving to KC or to Houston, might the Oilers place the Baby Oil into Mellon Area in Pittsburgh?

Discuss.
not if the Penguins have control of Wilkes-Barre and didn't they say always a Canadian city is the prevailing option

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 05:08 PM
M00se

A Canadian city is preferred, but at this point they better not be picky!

M00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

I'd think that if KC can't land the Penguins, that they'd have to look AHL as the next best alternative. No other team, besides the outside chance of maybe St. Louis, is going to be on the move, and expansion isn't going to happen in the near future (have MORE scheduling issues to talk about? I'm sure the NHL front office is excited bout that...).

Sure, they may want an NHL franchise, but beggers can't be choosers.

As for Melon Arena, It's so far from where we are, and old. If we can say, lease it for 2 years and than move into Windsor, that'd be an acceptable scenario (ha... at this point, any scenario is a good scenario). That is, if the Baby Pens get moved as well.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote