HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

PVC vs. Metal Goals for Practice - Which to choose?

Old
12-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Rem
Boo or Boo-urns?

vCash: 500
PVC vs. Metal Goals for Practice - Which to choose?

Hello all,

so my wonderful girlfriend got me a bunch of hockey stuff for xmas, including a hockey goal and targets for practice. The only issue that I thought of initially is that its made of "high-impact" pvc tubing rather than steel. Anyone use the PVC goal before with actual pucks? I'm afraid that nasty slap shot could snap or crack it. Should I exchange it for a steel goal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, including any other benefits of one over the other.

Thanks

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 03:09 PM
XX
It's finally over

Yes, they will get cracked, but still function. The main problem is the pipes popping out of their joints, or destroying the joints altogether. All it takes is a hearty slap shot.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 03:20 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Yeah I'd get the metal...even if you don't use pucks the pvc wears out eventually with the joints bending and eventually cracking.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
If you are in a cold weather climate and leave the goal outside a good wrister or slap shot will go straight through the PVC post with a puck and could easily crack the post with a ball.

I grew up in CT and went through about 4 PVC goals before finally getting my mother to buy a metal goal the fifth time. The metal goal lasted about ten years before I gave it away when I moved down here to TN. The posts got pretty dinged up through the years and I had to replace the netting a couple of times, but the goal frame was a great purchase.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Rem
Boo or Boo-urns?

Thanks alot people. I live in the Bay Area, CA so its normally pretty fair weather (with the exception of the last few weeks). I'm going to go ahead and get a metal one. I figure the extra weight will probably be a good thing as well.

thanks again!

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 12:19 AM
colton23

ya im 14 95 pounds and i have gone through 3 in the last 4 months so i now use a ball and it helps but the durability is crap with real pucks

colton23 is offline   Reply With Quote