HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Renney?No way

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-30-2006, 12:30 PM
  #26
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
how many games did it take Renney to say that skating may be an issue, when for the most part, in the prior ten games, it didn't appear to be an issue? Yes, he's not fast, but it hadn't hampered the team. But the funny part is that Renney needs to realize the role in which he played Immonen against the Isles. He played him on the fourth line, for a few shifts, not enough to say he couldn't keep up, because that wasn't the case. Then he played with Jagr. Renney's assessment of Immonen's skating is based on Immonen's play on a top line with Jagr. He's not a top liner, we all know that.

Didn't Reney also say he'd have no problem playing Dubi on a fourth line if he made the team? Then didn't he turn around and say that he wanted Dubi to get more ice time, then the same for Dawes?

Like I've said, my biggest problem is consistency, and making sense, neither of which is Renney's strongsuit.
Personally, Fletch, I think it might be a case of clutching at straws, waiting for changes to take place. I'm actually kind of surprised Renney would let something like that out. If nothing else, Immonen could at least be a trading chip. I would think that might devalue him a little.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 01:20 PM
  #27
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
Agreed, jas...

someone out there may see Immonen as a cheap, third line option who can chip in some offense, especially in this cap era. Him alone doesn't get you much, but he could be packaged and you try to do everything to create value, as opposed to devalue a player. A change can't come soon enough for Renney - and who knows, maybe Slats is holding out to see if he has the right guy at the helm, as well as the right staff (can't take much more of Pearn between periods). Who knows with this team.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 03:52 PM
  #28
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
This guy is too frustrating. The only thing that gets the Rangers out of this slump is Jagr or Shanny starting to score again. Ottawa loses its top two centermen, and finds a way to win three in a row.
Exactly. It's times like this that you turn the spotlight on your top players. The leaders (big $$$ guys) earn their pay at times like this. (Or not.)

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 07:01 PM
  #29
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
jas...

back on Immonen...OK, his skating is questionable - why isn't he currently in Hartford? Why wasn't he sent down after the Isles game? Why would you keep up a kid who, in your (Renney's) opinion, has trouble with the speed of the NHL game. This s pretty much what I mean. I may disagree with Renney's assessment of a kid, but let's not send mixed messages to the world. You say he can't skate, and sit him out the next couple games, and seemingly knew you'd do that - send him to Hartford to play some games. Why keep him up? Just in case you see something in practice that might sugges his skating speed is better?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 07:40 PM
  #30
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Here's another interesting bit from Dellapina's blog -




Dellapina aseked Renney about bringing some of the kids from Hartford.

ďBelieve me, the revolving door could have started two months ago. We could be playing young guys that, quite honestly, we didnít think were quite ready. And maybe not be in any different a position, maybe worse, maybe better, who knows?

ďBut itís a decision weíve made in the best interests of this process of becoming a contender for a long period of time Ė not just sort of flashes here and there. Thatís the hard part, staying true to that philosophy. And I can appreciate where you might even second-guess that.

ďBut thatís why some guys got sent down, because we didnít feel they were ready to be here. And thatís our opinion. Itís just keeping that big picture in mind, which is awfully hard to do when youíre looking through the needle head at six in a row.Ē


That flies in th face of the argument that the Rangers didn't leave space for kids, or that the rebuild is a facade. Yes, maybe the Rangers are being too conservative with players like Dubinsky, Dawes and Baranka, but, its an organizational decision to be patient. Yes, I know they just lost their 7th straight and fans are screaming for someone's head. I still don't see this organization entering a panic mode.
I'm obviously a pro-youth guy, but if that is truly and honestly the thinking of the organization I can live with that. I don't want to derail the thread too much with a youth argument so for argument's sake I'll say that there are serious inconsistencies with that statement. As a pro-youth fan I'll accept their decision to keep the best interests of the kids in mind, not how I'd go about it but it's not my call. However, this quote will be all over this message board if we start to see youth for vet trades over the next couple of months. I'm just praying that the really are committed to the future.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 07:55 PM
  #31
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I'm obviously a pro-youth guy, but if that is truly and honestly the thinking of the organization I can live with that. I don't want to derail the thread too much with a youth argument so for argument's sake I'll say that there are serious inconsistencies with that statement. As a pro-youth fan I'll accept their decision to keep the best interests of the kids in mind, not how I'd go about it but it's not my call. However, this quote will be all over this message board if we start to see youth for vet trades over the next couple of months. I'm just praying that the really are committed to the future.
I've been for the rebuild as much as anyone. No day is more exciting to me than draft day. ('Cept winning the Cup, of course.) And, Renney is saying all the right things in that paragraph. And, Maloney said the same thing during the summer...the Rangers best prospects, (and he specifically named), Dubinsky, Korpikoski, Staal and Sauer...were most likely a year away.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 08:03 PM
  #32
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
Maloney does a good PR job...

of course we're sitting around saying Sather's been in charge since...I don't know where, and we aren't seeing many draftees playing for the Rangers, despite a heck of a lot of picks, and now they're still a year away. It will be real interesting to see where they are next year. Does Korps take over for Hossa? Dubinsky for Hollweg at center? Staal and Sauer in for Liffiton and Taylor in Hartford? It's like shuffling a deck.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 08:53 PM
  #33
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Again, the skating issue comes up with Immonen. Now, I think he's got the ability to be a decent 3rd line center, with some offensive ability. But, I just don't see Immonen ever being a quality 2nd line center in the NHL.
Whether you see him as a 2nd line center or not, the fact remains that he looked better in that role than Cullen did. And certainly good enough so that Betts should not be the 3rd line center. He gave the kid a chance. Immonen won 65% of the faceoffs and scored 4 points in 5 or 6 games. What else are you looking for? Isn't that enough to continue for him to get a look-see? Or AT A MINIMUM, enough to send Betts to the 4th line where he belongs?

And let's call a spade a spade here, it can be written anywhere that Immonen's skating is a concern. However, IMO, I have yet to actually see it as an issue in any game that I watch. What Renney said simply sounds like an excuse to me, so that he can keep stubbornly insisting that Cullen is a 2nd line player and Betts is a 3rd line player.
Quote:
That flies in th face of the argument that the Rangers didn't leave space for kids, or that the rebuild is a facade. Yes, maybe the Rangers are being too conservative with players like Dubinsky, Dawes and Baranka, but, its an organizational decision to be patient.
I disagree and think that it is nothing but excuses. The fact remains that, despite proclamations to the contrary, it turned out that there were no spaces left for kids. The fact also remains that the kids were sent down so that higher-priced vets can play in their stead. Dawes, Pock & Baranka peformed well enough in camp to win spots. So Renney can say what he wants, but to me it is nothing but excuses. He does not trust the kids and has no room for them.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 08:55 PM
  #34
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Exactly. It's times like this that you turn the spotlight on your top players. The leaders (big $$$ guys) earn their pay at times like this. (Or not.)
Those players are all over 35 and have been getting ridden into the ground by Renney. The fact is that they may very well have already started to run out of steam.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 09:36 PM
  #35
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,778
vCash: 50
Awards:
Renney needs to be fired for his mishandling of Prucha, if nothing else.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 12:33 AM
  #36
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
of course we're sitting around saying Sather's been in charge since...I don't know where, and we aren't seeing many draftees playing for the Rangers, despite a heck of a lot of picks, and now they're still a year away. It will be real interesting to see where they are next year. Does Korps take over for Hossa? Dubinsky for Hollweg at center? Staal and Sauer in for Liffiton and Taylor in Hartford? It's like shuffling a deck.
That's the real question. We got the lip service that prospects were going to play even if it meant the team took a step back in the standings. Well we took that step back but the prospects aren't here. Next year we'll see if the "year away" talk is more lip service. As TB says, trust is a big issue with Renney. I just don't have the faith that there will be spots left open for kids... and I'd love to be wrong.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.