HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

What is with Owen Sound ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2007, 09:15 PM
  #26
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Are you 12? Seriously. Stop being such a ****ing homer.

Valabik a better NHLer than Ryan? Please.

And yeah, it must be embarassing being a Flyers fan. It's amazing how one bad year erases dozens of good ones in the small minds of some people.
Boris Valabik quite frankly was terribly ineffective at playing defense without doing something illegal. That habit cancels out any advantage his size might provide. And as for better than Ryan? Is that guy kidding?

My two cents worth on Ryan is that there is a talented player in there that has not been developed in Owen Sound. What system there is in Owen Sound often mystifies me. They might not have enough horses to reach 1st place with their talent, but quite frankly the guys they do have are being wasted. It's like 3 or 4 guys playing alone most of the time.

Anyway, If Ryan was playing for teams like Kitchener or London or Guelph or for the Petes when Todd was there, you would have seen something better today. I hope for the kid's sake they put him into the AHL next year, sincerely.

Anyway, ask any team or fan. If they had a choice of either Valabik or Ryan, who would they choose? It's an easy question to answer for somebody being realistic.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 09:17 PM
  #27
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Anyway, ask any team or fan. If they had a choice of either Valabik or Ryan, who would they choose? It's an easy question to answer for somebody being realistic.
I loved Boris, and he was far more valuable than fans of opposing teams ever saw, but there is no way in hell I'd take him over Ryan. It's ridiculous.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 09:17 PM
  #28
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Boris Valabik quite frankly was terribly ineffective at playing defense without doing something illegal. That habit cancels out any advantage his size might provide. And as for better than Ryan? Is that guy kidding?
This is what I always saw as well. The guy was a walking penalty machine. It was often blamed on his size, but I still say that's no excuse for putting your hands or elbows into a guy's face instead of using your body or stick to play the puck.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:59 AM
  #29
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Boris Valabik quite frankly was terribly ineffective at playing defense without doing something illegal. That habit cancels out any advantage his size might provide. And as for better than Ryan? Is that guy kidding?

My two cents worth on Ryan is that there is a talented player in there that has not been developed in Owen Sound. What system there is in Owen Sound often mystifies me. They might not have enough horses to reach 1st place with their talent, but quite frankly the guys they do have are being wasted. It's like 3 or 4 guys playing alone most of the time.

Anyway, If Ryan was playing for teams like Kitchener or London or Guelph or for the Petes when Todd was there, you would have seen something better today. I hope for the kid's sake they put him into the AHL next year, sincerely.

Anyway, ask any team or fan. If they had a choice of either Valabik or Ryan, who would they choose? It's an easy question to answer for somebody being realistic.
OSA fans can speak better on this than I, but I have heard the way they are coached really isn't tailored to Ryans game, alot of grinding and whatnot, kind of like Andy Murray with the Kings last year trying to make all his skill players grind it out but again OSA fans can probably speak better in detail.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:14 AM
  #30
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
OSA fans can speak better on this than I, but I have heard the way they are coached really isn't tailored to Ryans game, alot of grinding and whatnot, kind of like Andy Murray with the Kings last year trying to make all his skill players grind it out but again OSA fans can probably speak better in detail.
Hmm...

The team definitely plays a dump and chase game but Ryan is almost free to do as he wishes in regards to the offensive zone.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:43 PM
  #31
DaaaaB's
Registered User
 
DaaaaB's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFlyers View Post
Spoken like someone who took a quick glance at a stat sheet.

He's been awful. Waste of a spot.
Can you explain how he's been awful?

From what I've heard he's not playing aggressive like last year but I haven't heard much else about him.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:36 AM
  #32
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFlyers View Post
Hmm...

The team definitely plays a dump and chase game but Ryan is almost free to do as he wishes in regards to the offensive zone.
Do you think they will eventually split Ryan and Lewis? BR played well with Lewis gone at the WJC's, but last night still had 3 points while playing on a line with Lewis from what I understand so who knows. Is it true that Kana may be coming?

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:50 PM
  #33
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
Do you think they will eventually split Ryan and Lewis? BR played well with Lewis gone at the WJC's, but last night still had 3 points while playing on a line with Lewis from what I understand so who knows. Is it true that Kana may be coming?
I think Ryan and Lewis will stick together. New acquisition overage Howie Martin filled out the line the last couple of nights.

I hear from just about everyone that Kana is coming, but I heard it at the start of the year too and I'll believe it when I see it.

You may also be interested to know that Brian Burke was in OS last night.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 04:04 PM
  #34
leafmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFlyers View Post
I think Ryan and Lewis will stick together. New acquisition overage Howie Martin filled out the line the last couple of nights.

I hear from just about everyone that Kana is coming, but I heard it at the start of the year too and I'll believe it when I see it.

You may also be interested to know that Brian Burke was in OS last night.
That is interesting......does anyone think
a) Ryan should not really be viewed as a second overall pick and if so
b) will Burke trade him to solidify what is already a darn good team ?

I like to hear from those who have seen him play a lot as I have not.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 06:05 AM
  #35
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
That is interesting......does anyone think
a) Ryan should not really be viewed as a second overall pick and if so
b) will Burke trade him to solidify what is already a darn good team ?

I like to hear from those who have seen him play a lot as I have not.
No he's not going to be traded, what he needs is one summer where he's healthy working with the conditioning staff mainly on his legs. Anaheim likes his upper body strength and hands alot but are wanting to work on his legs, once he improves his leg strength he'll be good to go because he has all the physical tools to be a frontline power forward and it seems like he's developing a mean streak with the fights and I know Brian Burke is happy seeing that.

Seemingly the only way he's traded is if a prominent player is coming in return as well as additional youth, do not be surprised if it at the end of the OHL season Ryan gets a look on Anaheims NHL roster if playoff seeding is mostly decided or injuries kick in again because the team is trying to find an offensive winger. Most likely he's in Portland. I have heard that he's either trying to become a more well rounded player or Anaheim is asking to do so, I am uncertain of which.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 07:45 AM
  #36
stormfan#20#33
 
stormfan#20#33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan View Post
I think trade or no trade...the attack are going no where...embarass boris and co. ha you are funny...boris will be a better, more effective player in the NHL than Ryan will be any day...Ryan couldnt even get invited to the team USA World Junior Team...and they had more no names than anything...ever since he was drafted, it was down from there

i think u wrong rangerfan ryan is going to be a good hockey player in the nhl as he has been in the ohl. the thing with owen sound is there coaching they suck!!!!!!!

stormfan#20#33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:57 PM
  #37
toomanymen
Registered User
 
toomanymen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,298
vCash: 500
Just looked at the game sheet for the Knights v. Attack. Ryan was minus one with an assist and somehow was 3rd star. Didn't see the game but... If anyone can tell me he was great tonight... I'm listening.

toomanymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 09:05 AM
  #38
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanymen View Post
Just looked at the game sheet for the Knights v. Attack. Ryan was minus one with an assist and somehow was 3rd star. Didn't see the game but... If anyone can tell me he was great tonight... I'm listening.
He was named the 3rd star because he took over the all-time points leader of the Platers/Attack franchise with that assist. Not at all surprising on home ice.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 11:52 AM
  #39
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Yeah, that was stupid.

It was just cause he broke the record.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:14 PM
  #40
Boomhower
Registered User
 
Boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,554
vCash: 500
The Knights goalie outscored Ryan and made 40 saves on 42 shots, but was not named a star.

But I guess an 8-2 loss couldn't put a damper on Bobby Ryan night.
Seriously, I've never seen anything quite like that, can anyone give me other examples?

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:43 PM
  #41
toomanymen
Registered User
 
toomanymen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
He was named the 3rd star because he took over the all-time points leader of the Platers/Attack franchise with that assist. Not at all surprising on home ice.

Thanks for the explanation. Congrats to him. However, a second assist in an 8-2 loss for the record must be like winning 649 and sharing w/ millions of others.


Last edited by toomanymen: 01-28-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: political correctness
toomanymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:23 AM
  #42
biginthewest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
It's good to see that some of you are seeing some of the same things I am. I am not a person who looks at stats and judges. I have seen every single game that the Owen Sound have played this year and with that here it is.

My Take:
This team has some of, if not the best talent in the OHL but when they can not come together as team this is what we get.

This is where it starts and it has been this way since the beginning of the season:
A coach who is not utilizing or using the talent that he has in the correct way. For example Lewis is so strong in front of the net but yet we never see him there. Ryan has great vision but is to busy going coast to coast (this is the coaches fault for allowing it to happen). You know sometimes even though you may have a certain style of coaching or playing you need to adjust accordingly. And this is something that has not been done and for as long as he is there you will continue to see the same coaching style. And the end result will always be the same.

This is the next ongoing problem:
WHO CARES IF YOU ARE THE ALL TIME POINTS LEADER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you try to be a one man team your team loses all respect for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bobby Ryan. MAN OH MAN!!!!! This kid drives me nuts all the time. I do not understand all the hype around this kid. Sure he is good and has a bright future ahead of him at Aneheim but quit the @#$%& puck hogging. From my understanding he did not go to WJC because no likes him. everyones tired of making excuses for his non-team efforts. He would be more of a hero if he would realize that there is 14 other guys around him that can help the team win games. To have so much talent in his hands and he just lets it all go to waste. The main problem with this kid is he is not a team player. Sure his stats show that he has assists but my goodness pass the puck kid. I think that Owen Sound would be unstoppable (like they were in the beginning of the season) if Ryan would pass the puck more. So many times when i watch their games all I see is Ryan trying to go coast to coast while trying to break free of 3 or 4 defenders (which he only breaks free maybe 1 out of 10 tries). And in the meantime all you see is his center and wingers wide open. I also think he has quite the ATTITUDE as well and with a team leader like this your end result is going to be if not always be a mediocore team like you see with Owen Sound. If I were to be coaching this team the first thing i would do is strip him of his Captainacy. Give it to someone who deserves it like tregunna or simmonds. He needs to understand that points are not everything if your team is not winning.

What the team needs to do in order to even make the playoffs is (ORDER OF IMPORTANCE)
1- More of a team effort from the entire team
2- More passing by Bobby Ryan
3- More goals by Trevor Lewis
4- Better forechecking and backchecking by all the offense
5- Less coaching


I know that some of you who read this will be haters but this is the truth and nothing but the truth.
This Owen Sound team in my opinion is the best team in the "O". But when nothing gels together and you have to many CHIEFS and not enough INDIANS this is the result that we get. It is the Captains/Leaders responsiblity to bring this team together but with guys like Ryan at the Forefront it is never going to happen.
I love Owen Sound and a die hard fan but it is time for some changes.
MY 2 cents.

biginthewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:47 AM
  #43
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
That's garbage.

The last person to take any blame in the OS situation should be Ryan. He ngives more effort consistently than anyone else on the team, and is the only player that ever creates anything offensively.

I don't know how we'd win any games without him.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:45 AM
  #44
knights2005
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
I just don't think Stothers is on the same level as Barr, Deboer and Hunter in the midwest. OS has had the talent to at least get past the second round the last 3 years and for whatever reason, it doesn't happen. Nonetheless, with the top end talent OS has, I still wouldn't want to face them in the playoffs this year...they might just cease the opportunity and find a way to win in spite of their shoddy coaching.

knights2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:54 AM
  #45
biginthewest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
As a leader you are expected to take the brunt of the teams short comings as well as the successes that are produced.
And I am not talking individual effort i am talking about team effort which is what owen sound lacks.
If you look at the beginning of the season you would see what i am talking about. Ryan came back from training camp with his team in mind. And all of the sudden when the team gets into this slump his thought process has changed completely. Not to mention trying to chase the points record. It was inevitable that it would have happened but this was his main priority and i am afraid it still is. He does not want anyone breaking the record right.

biginthewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:45 PM
  #46
leafmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
The Knights goalie outscored Ryan and made 40 saves on 42 shots, but was not named a star.

But I guess an 8-2 loss couldn't put a damper on Bobby Ryan night.
Seriously, I've never seen anything quite like that, can anyone give me other examples?
The OHL has the most homer 3 star picking I have ever seen especially if it involves a player who is supposed to make it.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:49 PM
  #47
leafmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biginthewest View Post
It's good to see that some of you are seeing some of the same things I am. I am not a person who looks at stats and judges. I have seen every single game that the Owen Sound have played this year and with that here it is.

My Take:
This team has some of, if not the best talent in the OHL but when they can not come together as team this is what we get.

This is where it starts and it has been this way since the beginning of the season:
A coach who is not utilizing or using the talent that he has in the correct way. For example Lewis is so strong in front of the net but yet we never see him there. Ryan has great vision but is to busy going coast to coast (this is the coaches fault for allowing it to happen). You know sometimes even though you may have a certain style of coaching or playing you need to adjust accordingly. And this is something that has not been done and for as long as he is there you will continue to see the same coaching style. And the end result will always be the same.

This is the next ongoing problem:
WHO CARES IF YOU ARE THE ALL TIME POINTS LEADER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you try to be a one man team your team loses all respect for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bobby Ryan. MAN OH MAN!!!!! This kid drives me nuts all the time. I do not understand all the hype around this kid. Sure he is good and has a bright future ahead of him at Aneheim but quit the @#$%& puck hogging. From my understanding he did not go to WJC because no likes him. everyones tired of making excuses for his non-team efforts. He would be more of a hero if he would realize that there is 14 other guys around him that can help the team win games. To have so much talent in his hands and he just lets it all go to waste. The main problem with this kid is he is not a team player. Sure his stats show that he has assists but my goodness pass the puck kid. I think that Owen Sound would be unstoppable (like they were in the beginning of the season) if Ryan would pass the puck more. So many times when i watch their games all I see is Ryan trying to go coast to coast while trying to break free of 3 or 4 defenders (which he only breaks free maybe 1 out of 10 tries). And in the meantime all you see is his center and wingers wide open. I also think he has quite the ATTITUDE as well and with a team leader like this your end result is going to be if not always be a mediocore team like you see with Owen Sound. If I were to be coaching this team the first thing i would do is strip him of his Captainacy. Give it to someone who deserves it like tregunna or simmonds. He needs to understand that points are not everything if your team is not winning.

What the team needs to do in order to even make the playoffs is (ORDER OF IMPORTANCE)
1- More of a team effort from the entire team
2- More passing by Bobby Ryan
3- More goals by Trevor Lewis
4- Better forechecking and backchecking by all the offense
5- Less coaching


I know that some of you who read this will be haters but this is the truth and nothing but the truth.
This Owen Sound team in my opinion is the best team in the "O". But when nothing gels together and you have to many CHIEFS and not enough INDIANS this is the result that we get. It is the Captains/Leaders responsiblity to bring this team together but with guys like Ryan at the Forefront it is never going to happen.
I love Owen Sound and a die hard fan but it is time for some changes.
MY 2 cents.
Too late for changes...they are stuck with what they have and quite a bit of it will be gone next year.
Thanks for the opinion and I still say they seem to be one of the most talented but unproductive teams ( in terms of playoff wins) in some time.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 07:20 AM
  #48
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biginthewest View Post
As a leader you are expected to take the brunt of the teams short comings as well as the successes that are produced.
And I am not talking individual effort i am talking about team effort which is what owen sound lacks.
If you look at the beginning of the season you would see what i am talking about. Ryan came back from training camp with his team in mind. And all of the sudden when the team gets into this slump his thought process has changed completely. Not to mention trying to chase the points record. It was inevitable that it would have happened but this was his main priority and i am afraid it still is. He does not want anyone breaking the record right.
All that is just asinine speculation.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 05:56 PM
  #49
Boomhower
Registered User
 
Boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
The OHL has the most homer 3 star picking I have ever seen especially if it involves a player who is supposed to make it.

Sorry I wasn't refering to the star selection. (Have seen bad star picks before)

I was looking for other examples where teams had already arranged for a post game celebration ceremony for an individual points milestone. (be it a career mark or single season record)??

Usually teams will have the ceremony during pre-game at the players next home game... for many reasons.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:11 PM
  #50
leafmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
From what I've seen it is usually the next game.

Otherwise you can look follish if it happens during a poor game like in this case.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.