HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

D1 Canisius College Hockey

Old
10-18-2016, 06:34 PM
blueshirts77
Rookie User

vCash: 500
D1 Canisius College Hockey

Will anyone be attending the Canisius hockey home opener Friday night or the pink out breast cancer game Saturday? Heard their league is off to a hot start. They seem young with 20 underclassmen, but it was good, fun entertainment when I went last year.

Moderator can you Change Thread to "WESTERN NY DIVISION 1 COLLEGE HOCKEY TALK"
(Canisius, Niagara, RIT)

Last edited by blueshirts77: 10-28-2016 at 11:38 PM.
blueshirts77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2016, 07:03 PM
jc17

vCash: 90
They are a young team. They struggled last year, and unfortunately I don't think they're poised for a great year. They lost a couple good players, but that said, they held their own vs north dakota last week.

jc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2016, 07:06 PM
Bruins1233

Atlantic Hockey has been strong OOC this year so far, they may get a couple in the NCAAs, we shall see.

Bruins1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2016, 01:31 AM
ThunderD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins1233 View Post
Atlantic Hockey has been strong OOC this year so far, they may get a couple in the NCAAs, we shall see.
Niagara has a ranked Ohio State team coming to town next weekend. It would be nice for the conf if they can split at home.

ThunderD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2016, 10:18 AM
LaxSabre

vCash: 1212
If a mod can change the title of this thread to College Hockey - 2016-2017 Season - we can use this thread for all college hockey talk.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 10-19-2016 at 10:38 AM.
LaxSabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2016, 02:47 PM
ThunderD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxSabre View Post
If a mod can change the title of this thread to College Hockey - 2016-2017 Season - we can use this thread for all college hockey talk.
I think you could find one for all college hockey somewhere on these boards. Given its WNY, you really only need to expand this to Niagara and hopefully everyone can play nice with each other.

Old
10-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Bruins1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderB View Post
I think you could find one for all college hockey somewhere on these boards. Given its WNY, you really only need to expand this to Niagara and hopefully everyone can play nice with each other.
I guess a two time reigning AHC champion doesn't matter.

Old
10-19-2016, 04:57 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Who regularly draw more than 1000 more people than Canisius and Niagara combined.

RIT's loss to Robert Morris two Saturday's ago almost made me sick to my stomach, and it's almost magnified by the league's hot start. (The 1-1 tie with UConn where they absolutely dominated from start to finish hurt a bit too) Obviously we'll know more once league play truly gets underway, but I thought coming into the year that RIT and Air Force were going to be the class of the league. If NCAA births are actually in play for the conference blowing a 5-1 lead in 3 minutes thanks to a steady stream of penalties and a lapse of concentration could cost them dearly down the road. Even with the strong conference play, it will likely take an in conference winning percentage near 80% in conference to be in the conversation.

misterchainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2016, 05:15 PM
Bruins1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterchainsaw View Post
Who regularly draw more than 1000 more people than Canisius and Niagara combined.

RIT's loss to Robert Morris two Saturday's ago almost made me sick to my stomach, and it's almost magnified by the league's hot start. (The 1-1 tie with UConn where they absolutely dominated from start to finish hurt a bit too) Obviously we'll know more once league play truly gets underway, but I thought coming into the year that RIT and Air Force were going to be the class of the league. If NCAA births are actually in play for the conference blowing a 5-1 lead in 3 minutes thanks to a steady stream of penalties and a lapse of concentration could cost them dearly down the road. Even with the strong conference play, it will likely take an in conference winning percentage near 80% in conference to be in the conversation.
Holy Cross is a solid team too. They beat Providence.
So Atlantic Hockey is going to be very interesting this year.
We will see how RIT fairs against Providence when they come to town in December.

Old
10-19-2016, 08:16 PM
ThunderD

Quote:
Fair enough,

Old
10-19-2016, 11:09 PM
Husko

vCash: 165
Quote:

Does Canisius draw any better now that theyre at Harbor center? The whole Buff State arrangement was just an abomination

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2016, 01:02 AM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Does Canisius draw any better now that theyre at Harbor center? The whole Buff State arrangement was just an abomination
They're improving for sure from when RIT joined the conference. They drew a little over a thousand a game at the Harborcenter last year. At Buff State RIT fans seemed to often outnumber Canisius fans (hence being known derisively as "Ritter West".

misterchainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2016, 09:53 AM
Bruins1233

Quote:
They're improving for sure from when RIT joined the conference. They drew a little over a thousand a game at the Harborcenter last year. At Buff State RIT fans seemed to often outnumber Canisius fans (hence being known derisively as "Ritter West".
Atlantic Hockey is stepping it up, AIC, Sacred Heart, RIT, Canisus and Bentley either have new homes or are in the process or getting a new rink.

Old
10-20-2016, 11:28 PM
Husko

vCash: 165
Big problem is school size. Canisius has between 2000 and 3000 students at any given time. To get 100 students to a game means drawing 5% of their student body. RIT, on the other hand, has a student body of close to 20 thousand. Small schools are just never ever going to draw the way big ones do.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2016, 06:29 PM
Bruins1233

RIT dropped a couple to ECAC opponents in Union and RPI this weekend.

Old
10-23-2016, 10:20 PM
blueshirts77
Rookie User

Quote:
RIT dropped a couple to ECAC opponents in Union and RPI this weekend.
Both close games if you take away empty netters, wish they could of pulled off at least one win.. Niagara had a nice tie vs RPI Friday night, tough loss Saturday vs Union.. Canisius should of swept this weekend, I was at both games, good crowd turnouts to both games was nice to see! They took 3 of 4 points from Robert Morris.

blueshirts77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2016, 01:49 AM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
This weekend's games against Robert Morris are the most physical I think I've ever seen Canisius play. Big hits all over the place.

EDIT: Full student section both Friday & Saturday nights. That + the pep band...really makes the games a lot of fun.

Doing my best to speak without bias as the Griffs' in-arena voice & music director.

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 09:14 PM
LaxSabre

Old
10-27-2016, 09:21 PM
LaxSabre

Last edited by LaxSabre: 10-27-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old
10-28-2016, 01:31 AM
ThunderD

Quote:
While the coverage is all about Canisius travelling to 19th ranked Penn St, I hope that Niagara does well when 15th ranked Ohio St comes to town on the same dates.

Old
10-28-2016, 07:49 AM
LaxSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderB View Post
While the coverage is all about Canisius travelling to 19th ranked Penn St, I hope that Niagara does well when 15th ranked Ohio St comes to town on the same dates.
Amy did post a preview of the Ohio State-Niagara series. For some reason she didn't post a preview tweet promoting it so thats why I didn't post it last night. Just checked online this morning and there it was - posted it below. Note - Amy is pretty good at giving equal coverage for Niagara-Canisius Hockey. On weekends where both teams play two home games - she splits attending the games. She should be attending at least one of the Niagara-Ohio State games this weekend.

[BN Rinkside] Five things to know as Niagara hockey hosts No. 15 Ohio State.

Ohio State at Niagara - 7:05 pm ET - Friday and Saturday - Dwyer Arena - Lewiston, New York.

#1-Looking For A Win - Niagara is still searching for its first win of the season.
The Purple Eagles have two ties on their record – a 4-4 final with Atlantic Hockey rival Holy Cross and a 3-3 tie with Rensselaer on Friday.
The Purple Eagles enter the non-conference matchup with a record of 0-3-2.

#2-Undefeated - Ohio State comes to town with a 3-0-2 mark after sweeping a home-and-home series with Bowling Green.
The Buckeyes have been winning with defense, ranking 10th in the country in goals against per game (2.20).

#3-Local Connection - Amherst native Christian Lampasso is in his junior year at Ohio State.
The forward has played in three games this season and has 17 career points for the Buckeyes.

#4-Penalty Kill - Niagara went 0-2-1 last week with losses to Mercyhurst and Union and a tie against Rensselaer.
But the Purple Eagles had a solid penalty kill, going 19 for 20 in the three road games. Niagara’s PK is now 34 for 40 (85 percent).

#5-Freshmen Standouts - Niagara earned Atlantic Hockey honors - Tyler Hayes was the league’s defensive player of the week - Derek Brown was the rookie of the week.
Kris Spriggs leading Atlantic Hockey rookies in scoring with five points (two goals, three assists), putting him in a tie for sixteenth among NCAA freshmen.
Hayes has thirteen blocked shots, ranking fourth among all NCAA freshmen and first among Atlantic Hockey rookies.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/10/27/bn...15-ohio-state/

Last edited by LaxSabre: 10-28-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old
10-28-2016, 08:02 AM
LaxSabre

TV/Radio Coverage - Both Ohio State-Niagara games this weekend can be LIVE streamed through AtlanticHockey.tv.
You can also listen to both games via WLVL 1340 AM either on the radio or through their website.
Paul Hamilton has the play-by-play call on Friday night while Jeremy White has the play-by-play call on Saturday night.
Old
10-28-2016, 08:21 AM
LaxSabre

Heres the RIT preview for their weekend series at Bentley. Good luck to all three teams - Canisius-Niagara-RIT - this weekend.

Note - Can a moderator changed the title of this thread to something like "Western New York College Hockey Talk - 2016-2017 Season."

Old
10-28-2016, 10:18 AM
ThunderD

Quote:
Amy did post a preview of the Ohio State-Niagara series. For some reason she didn't post a preview tweet promoting it so thats why I didn't post it last night. Just checked online this morning and there it was - posted it below. Note - Amy is pretty good at giving equal coverage for Niagara-Canisius Hockey. On weekends where both teams play two home games - she splits attending the games. She should be attending at least one of the Niagara-Ohio State games this weekend.

[BN Rinkside] Five things to know as Niagara hockey hosts No. 15 Ohio State.

Ohio State at Niagara - 7:05 pm ET - Friday and Saturday - Dwyer Arena - Lewiston, New York.

#1-Looking For A Win - Niagara is still searching for its first win of the season.
The Purple Eagles have two ties on their record – a 4-4 final with Atlantic Hockey rival Holy Cross and a 3-3 tie with Rensselaer on Friday.
The Purple Eagles enter the non-conference matchup with a record of 0-3-2.

#2-Undefeated - Ohio State comes to town with a 3-0-2 mark after sweeping a home-and-home series with Bowling Green.
The Buckeyes have been winning with defense, ranking 10th in the country in goals against per game (2.20).

#3-Local Connection - Amherst native Christian Lampasso is in his junior year at Ohio State.
The forward has played in three games this season and has 17 career points for the Buckeyes.

#4-Penalty Kill - Niagara went 0-2-1 last week with losses to Mercyhurst and Union and a tie against Rensselaer.
But the Purple Eagles had a solid penalty kill, going 19 for 20 in the three road games. Niagara’s PK is now 34 for 40 (85 percent).

#5-Freshmen Standouts - Niagara earned Atlantic Hockey honors - Tyler Hayes was the league’s defensive player of the week - Derek Brown was the rookie of the week.
Kris Spriggs leading Atlantic Hockey rookies in scoring with five points (two goals, three assists), putting him in a tie for sixteenth among NCAA freshmen.
Hayes has thirteen blocked shots, ranking fourth among all NCAA freshmen and first among Atlantic Hockey rookies.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/10/27/bn...15-ohio-state/
Thanks Lax, poor choice of words on my part. I was trying to highlight that it was quite symmetrical how 2 of the local teams are each playing a ranked team from the Big Ten on both Fri & Sat.

Old
10-28-2016, 11:33 AM
Bruins1233

Quote:
Heres the RIT preview for their weekend series at Bentley. Good luck to all three teams - Canisius-Niagara-RIT - this weekend.

Note - Can a moderator changed the title of this thread to something like "Western New York College Hockey Talk - 2016-2017 Season."

Bentley is a good team, they tied Northeastern and beat UNH, hopefully RIT can get some points.