HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Info for fans visiting Buffalo

Old
06-21-2011, 04:57 PM
11Owen
Thanks, Feaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevener View Post
Thanks, we're actually picking him up on the 30th, so that sounds great!
Go for a walk down Elmwood to do some shopping and then have lunch/dinner on Allen. Anchor Bar is no good. Go to Gabriel's Gate for wings.

11Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:04 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

I'm going back this weekend and might finally get the wings from Gabriel's Gate. I've been hearing for years that they're as good as Duffs, figure it's high time I finally check them out.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:17 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
I'm going back this weekend and might finally get the wings from Gabriel's Gate. I've been hearing for years that they're as good as Duffs, figure it's high time I finally check them out.
Order one of their sandwiches and a pint of the house beer to go with the wings. Perfection.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:18 PM
michaelsaas

In addition to Albright Knox which is one of my favorite Art Galleries in the country, Buffalo has free outdoor Shakespeare in the summers at delaware park - http://www.shakespeareindelawarepark.org/ - its a nice way to spend an evening if the weather is nice and it's free!

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:48 AM
dan716

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsaas View Post
In addition to Albright Knox which is one of my favorite Art Galleries in the country, Buffalo has free outdoor Shakespeare in the summers at delaware park - http://www.shakespeareindelawarepark.org/ - its a nice way to spend an evening if the weather is nice and it's free!
If you're interested in smaller galleries, the First Friday Gallery walk happens the first Friday of every month in Allentown....some cool stuff worth checking out.

dan716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Send a message via ICQ to Eleven Send a message via AIM to Eleven
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaphil View Post
Order one of their sandwiches and a pint of the house beer to go with the wings. Perfection.
I got a double order of hot wings and a couple pints of the house beer. Thanks to everyone for the recommendation, it's just too bad we didn't have more time in town.

Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:49 PM
BlacknGold355
Tim Vezina Thomas

Hey guys and gals,

I'm swing through Buffalo Thursday night on my way to my great grandma 100's birthday party in Indiana. Always wanted to see Buffalo and taste the original wings. My wife and I are staying at the Hampton Inn on Delaware st, going to the Anchor Bar for dinner and I read that Marty and Gordie Howe will be at Dave and Adams Card World signing autographs around 6pm, and then we are checking out the falls on Friday morning, making the most of a quick trip,lol.

I was wondering if there were any good sports bars in safe walking distance to the hotel. Thanks in advance.

BlacknGold355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:57 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknGold355 View Post
Hey guys and gals,

I'm swing through Buffalo Thursday night on my way to my great grandma 100's birthday party in Indiana. Always wanted to see Buffalo and taste the original wings. My wife and I are staying at the Hampton Inn on Delaware st, going to the Anchor Bar for dinner and I read that Marty and Gordie Howe will be at Dave and Adams Card World signing autographs around 6pm, and then we are checking out the falls on Friday morning, making the most of a quick trip,lol.

I was wondering if there were any good sports bars in safe walking distance to the hotel. Thanks in advance.
Badabings is across the street from the Hampton. Not the best "sports" bar, but a good eats.

Im not sure where you saw Marty Howe as it is only Gordie signing as well (assuming they havent sold out yet)

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:11 PM
BlacknGold355
Tim Vezina Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Badabings is across the street from the Hampton. Not the best "sports" bar, but a good eats.

Im not sure where you saw Marty Howe as it is only Gordie signing as well (assuming they havent sold out yet)
Thanks for the suggestion, the only reason I said Marty is because I know Marty recently took over as Gordie's agent so i figured he would be there, even if he isn't signing anything.

Last edited by BlacknGold355: 08-10-2011 at 09:17 PM.
BlacknGold355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknGold355 View Post
Hey guys and gals,

You've got :
Benchwarmers Sports Bar & Grill
30 Mississippi Street, Buffalo, NY 1.1 mi S
(716) 856-3740 ‎ benchwarmerssbg.com
Never been there myself but I've heard of it.

and also
Pearl Street Grill & Brewery
76 Pearl Street, Buffalo, NY 0.7 mi S
(716) 856-2337 ‎ pearlstreetgrill.com
not really a SportsBar per say.. but great atmosphere and awesome food. I'd suggest going here.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:44 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Also the rail is free in both directions in the above-ground section, so anything along the rail between Theater and the Arena is basically in walking distance too.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:20 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Where do visiting players usually stay?

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Used to be the Millennium Hotel. Dunno if thats changed though.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 12:15 PM
itscameron

Has anyone here been to a show at Rapids Theatre in Niagara Falls, NY?

itscameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:37 AM
Leafs24Seven*

Greetings Buffalo fans... Me and my buddy are coming in for the game this saturday and plan to go to a diner that i saw on the food networks "diners, drive in's and dives" called the "Lake Effect Diner"..... any thought on this place? Thanks!

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:41 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscameron View Post
Has anyone here been to a show at Rapids Theatre in Niagara Falls, NY?
I THINK I have. Saw Opeth, Ministry and the Jagermeister tour there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs24Seven View Post
Greetings Buffalo fans... Me and my buddy are coming in for the game this saturday and plan to go to a diner that i saw on the food networks "diners, drive in's and dives" called the "Lake Effect Diner"..... any thought on this place? Thanks!
It's good stuff, but PERSONALLY, I'd rather do Pearl St for a pre-game event. Might be tough to get in there, though.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Is the "Jagermeister" portion of that the name of the tour (promoted by the brand of alcohol)? Ministry would be pretty awesome to see and I imagine Opeth would be pretty good, though I haven't heard any albums they might have put out in recent years.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Is the "Jagermeister" portion of that the name of the tour (promoted by the brand of alcohol)? Ministry would be pretty awesome to see and I imagine Opeth would be pretty good, though I haven't heard any albums they might have put out in recent years.
Nah, it was like Slayer, Mastodon, and another band that I should probably remember.

And the Ministry show was awesome. Pre Bush-trilogy BS. It was from the Animositosmina tour with Barker playing bass. Awesome awesome show.

Old
09-21-2011, 07:54 AM
dan716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

It's good stuff, but PERSONALLY, I'd rather do Pearl St for a pre-game event. Might be tough to get in there, though.
I saw Social Distortion there a few a years ago when it was called the "Dome Theatre". Haven't been back since the name change....

I was never a big fan of Lake Effect, but I heard that they've drastically improved the quality of their food in the past few years. It's also a bit of a drive from the University Heights neighborhood to downtown, so give yourself a half hour or so.

Old
09-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan716 View Post
I saw Social Distortion there a few a years ago when it was called the "Dome Theatre".
Ah ha, THAT'S what it was called. I was trying to remember. Good call.

Old
09-21-2011, 09:15 AM
swordfan23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
The Hyatt or the Embassy Suites in the Avant building downtown.

swordfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs24Seven View Post
Food quality fluctuates. The ambience is cool with the classic diner-car styling. On a personal note, the guy who did the renovation is someone I went to grade school with for a few years.

As was mentioned, give yourself at least 30, or more like 40 minutes to get from their downtown for the game. Or.... take the subway downtown since it's $3.50 round-trip per ticket and the parking is free. The diner is inbetween the last and second last stop.

09-21-2011, 11:24 AM
piratessabres08

Actually right next door (to LED) is the Steer, bar and saloon. I never went there as a UB undergrad because I thought it was just a bar. When I found out they served food I had to try it and it was really really good. The pulled pork was one of the best I've had and the salmon was also good.

Lake Effect is good for the experience and the milkshakes. I can't really speak for the food since I haven't been back since graduating (2007). But apparently the same people own both.

piratessabres08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:57 PM
dan716

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratessabres08 View Post
Actually right next door (to LED) is the Steer, bar and saloon. I never went there as a UB undergrad because I thought it was just a bar. When I found out they served food I had to try it and it was really really good. The pulled pork was one of the best I've had and the salmon was also good.

Lake Effect is good for the experience and the milkshakes. I can't really speak for the food since I haven't been back since graduating (2007). But apparently the same people own both.
Yeah, the same guy owns both restaurants. I've heard the food at the Steer is supposed to be great, but I avoided it like the plague because of it's rep as a bro bar. The only times I would go to Lake Effect would be the 2-for-1 milkshake nights, but I believe that's a thing of the past.....

Old
09-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Leafs24Seven*

Thanks to everyone for the info about LED. Went yesterday and had some great and i do mean GREAT food. Started with the crab cakes and provolone wedges. The crab cakes were good, but nobody has come close to beating ruby tuesday's crab cakes yet, IMHO. The deep fried provolone wedges were the best cheese "sticks" i have ever had. The one thing i had to try for the main course was the smoked cured maple ham with the red eye gravy that was shown on diners drive ins and dives (takes 12-14 days in the smoker) and it was simple out of this world! as was the griddle mac and cheese... my buddy have a bananna split shake and was also awesome. Yes for the person wondering if they still have 2-4-1 shakes, they do on tuesdays. Two appetizers, 2 meals and a shake was about $53 plus tip. Thanks again to all who posted. Next trip to Buffalo i will have to try the other place they featured on triple D, The Blackthorn Rest and Pub.

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote