HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Info for fans visiting Buffalo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2011, 04:57 PM
  #276
11Owen
Thanks, Feaster
 
11Owen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevener View Post
Thanks, we're actually picking him up on the 30th, so that sounds great!
Go for a walk down Elmwood to do some shopping and then have lunch/dinner on Allen. Anchor Bar is no good. Go to Gabriel's Gate for wings.

11Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:04 PM
  #277
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted
 
HarryNealesGarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BOS
Country: United States
Posts: 4,244
vCash: 500
I'm going back this weekend and might finally get the wings from Gabriel's Gate. I've been hearing for years that they're as good as Duffs, figure it's high time I finally check them out.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:17 PM
  #278
mechaphil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BFLO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
I'm going back this weekend and might finally get the wings from Gabriel's Gate. I've been hearing for years that they're as good as Duffs, figure it's high time I finally check them out.
Order one of their sandwiches and a pint of the house beer to go with the wings. Perfection.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:18 PM
  #279
michaelsaas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
In addition to Albright Knox which is one of my favorite Art Galleries in the country, Buffalo has free outdoor Shakespeare in the summers at delaware park - http://www.shakespeareindelawarepark.org/ - its a nice way to spend an evening if the weather is nice and it's free!

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:48 AM
  #280
dan716
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsaas View Post
In addition to Albright Knox which is one of my favorite Art Galleries in the country, Buffalo has free outdoor Shakespeare in the summers at delaware park - http://www.shakespeareindelawarepark.org/ - its a nice way to spend an evening if the weather is nice and it's free!
If you're interested in smaller galleries, the First Friday Gallery walk happens the first Friday of every month in Allentown....some cool stuff worth checking out.

dan716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:31 AM
  #281
Eleven
Solid As The Sun
 
Eleven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 950
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Eleven Send a message via AIM to Eleven
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaphil View Post
Order one of their sandwiches and a pint of the house beer to go with the wings. Perfection.
I got a double order of hot wings and a couple pints of the house beer. Thanks to everyone for the recommendation, it's just too bad we didn't have more time in town.

Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:49 PM
  #282
BlacknGold355
Tim Vezina Thomas
 
BlacknGold355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Western Mass
Country: United States
Posts: 1,154
vCash: 500
Hey guys and gals,

I'm swing through Buffalo Thursday night on my way to my great grandma 100's birthday party in Indiana. Always wanted to see Buffalo and taste the original wings. My wife and I are staying at the Hampton Inn on Delaware st, going to the Anchor Bar for dinner and I read that Marty and Gordie Howe will be at Dave and Adams Card World signing autographs around 6pm, and then we are checking out the falls on Friday morning, making the most of a quick trip,lol.

I was wondering if there were any good sports bars in safe walking distance to the hotel. Thanks in advance.

BlacknGold355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:57 PM
  #283
CaptPantalones
Registered User
 
CaptPantalones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknGold355 View Post
Hey guys and gals,

I'm swing through Buffalo Thursday night on my way to my great grandma 100's birthday party in Indiana. Always wanted to see Buffalo and taste the original wings. My wife and I are staying at the Hampton Inn on Delaware st, going to the Anchor Bar for dinner and I read that Marty and Gordie Howe will be at Dave and Adams Card World signing autographs around 6pm, and then we are checking out the falls on Friday morning, making the most of a quick trip,lol.

I was wondering if there were any good sports bars in safe walking distance to the hotel. Thanks in advance.
Badabings is across the street from the Hampton. Not the best "sports" bar, but a good eats.

Im not sure where you saw Marty Howe as it is only Gordie signing as well (assuming they havent sold out yet)

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:11 PM
  #284
BlacknGold355
Tim Vezina Thomas
 
BlacknGold355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Western Mass
Country: United States
Posts: 1,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Badabings is across the street from the Hampton. Not the best "sports" bar, but a good eats.

Im not sure where you saw Marty Howe as it is only Gordie signing as well (assuming they havent sold out yet)
Thanks for the suggestion, the only reason I said Marty is because I know Marty recently took over as Gordie's agent so i figured he would be there, even if he isn't signing anything.


Last edited by BlacknGold355: 08-10-2011 at 09:17 PM.
BlacknGold355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:31 PM
  #285
Insomniac99
Registered User
 
Insomniac99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknGold355 View Post
Hey guys and gals,

I'm swing through Buffalo Thursday night on my way to my great grandma 100's birthday party in Indiana. Always wanted to see Buffalo and taste the original wings. My wife and I are staying at the Hampton Inn on Delaware st, going to the Anchor Bar for dinner and I read that Marty and Gordie Howe will be at Dave and Adams Card World signing autographs around 6pm, and then we are checking out the falls on Friday morning, making the most of a quick trip,lol.

I was wondering if there were any good sports bars in safe walking distance to the hotel. Thanks in advance.
You've got :
Benchwarmers Sports Bar & Grill
30 Mississippi Street, Buffalo, NY 1.1 mi S
(716) 856-3740 ‎ benchwarmerssbg.com
Never been there myself but I've heard of it.

and also
Pearl Street Grill & Brewery
76 Pearl Street, Buffalo, NY 0.7 mi S
(716) 856-2337 ‎ pearlstreetgrill.com
not really a SportsBar per say.. but great atmosphere and awesome food. I'd suggest going here.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:44 PM
  #286
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,201
vCash: 500
Also the rail is free in both directions in the above-ground section, so anything along the rail between Theater and the Arena is basically in walking distance too.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:20 AM
  #287
kyle evs48
No words needed
 
kyle evs48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 29,123
vCash: 500
Where do visiting players usually stay?

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:42 AM
  #288
Insomniac99
Registered User
 
Insomniac99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Where do visiting players usually stay?
Used to be the Millennium Hotel. Dunno if thats changed though.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 12:15 PM
  #289
itscameron
Registered User
 
itscameron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Catharines, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 500
Has anyone here been to a show at Rapids Theatre in Niagara Falls, NY?

itscameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:37 AM
  #290
Leafs24Seven*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 1000 Islands Usa/Can
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Greetings Buffalo fans... Me and my buddy are coming in for the game this saturday and plan to go to a diner that i saw on the food networks "diners, drive in's and dives" called the "Lake Effect Diner"..... any thought on this place? Thanks!

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:41 AM
  #291
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 19,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscameron View Post
Has anyone here been to a show at Rapids Theatre in Niagara Falls, NY?
I THINK I have. Saw Opeth, Ministry and the Jagermeister tour there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs24Seven View Post
Greetings Buffalo fans... Me and my buddy are coming in for the game this saturday and plan to go to a diner that i saw on the food networks "diners, drive in's and dives" called the "Lake Effect Diner"..... any thought on this place? Thanks!
It's good stuff, but PERSONALLY, I'd rather do Pearl St for a pre-game event. Might be tough to get in there, though.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:30 AM
  #292
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,947
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I THINK I have. Saw Opeth, Ministry and the Jagermeister tour there.
Is the "Jagermeister" portion of that the name of the tour (promoted by the brand of alcohol)? Ministry would be pretty awesome to see and I imagine Opeth would be pretty good, though I haven't heard any albums they might have put out in recent years.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:49 AM
  #293
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 19,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Is the "Jagermeister" portion of that the name of the tour (promoted by the brand of alcohol)? Ministry would be pretty awesome to see and I imagine Opeth would be pretty good, though I haven't heard any albums they might have put out in recent years.
Nah, it was like Slayer, Mastodon, and another band that I should probably remember.

And the Ministry show was awesome. Pre Bush-trilogy BS. It was from the Animositosmina tour with Barker playing bass. Awesome awesome show.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:54 AM
  #294
dan716
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I THINK I have. Saw Opeth, Ministry and the Jagermeister tour there.



It's good stuff, but PERSONALLY, I'd rather do Pearl St for a pre-game event. Might be tough to get in there, though.
I saw Social Distortion there a few a years ago when it was called the "Dome Theatre". Haven't been back since the name change....

I was never a big fan of Lake Effect, but I heard that they've drastically improved the quality of their food in the past few years. It's also a bit of a drive from the University Heights neighborhood to downtown, so give yourself a half hour or so.

dan716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:57 AM
  #295
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 19,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan716 View Post
I saw Social Distortion there a few a years ago when it was called the "Dome Theatre".
Ah ha, THAT'S what it was called. I was trying to remember. Good call.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:15 AM
  #296
swordfan23
Registered User
 
swordfan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: Aruba
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Where do visiting players usually stay?
The Hyatt or the Embassy Suites in the Avant building downtown.

swordfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:44 AM
  #297
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,483
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs24Seven View Post
Greetings Buffalo fans... Me and my buddy are coming in for the game this saturday and plan to go to a diner that i saw on the food networks "diners, drive in's and dives" called the "Lake Effect Diner"..... any thought on this place? Thanks!
Food quality fluctuates. The ambience is cool with the classic diner-car styling. On a personal note, the guy who did the renovation is someone I went to grade school with for a few years.

As was mentioned, give yourself at least 30, or more like 40 minutes to get from their downtown for the game. Or.... take the subway downtown since it's $3.50 round-trip per ticket and the parking is free. The diner is inbetween the last and second last stop.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:24 AM
  #298
piratessabres08
Registered User
 
piratessabres08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Buffalo/Detroit
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
Actually right next door (to LED) is the Steer, bar and saloon. I never went there as a UB undergrad because I thought it was just a bar. When I found out they served food I had to try it and it was really really good. The pulled pork was one of the best I've had and the salmon was also good.

Lake Effect is good for the experience and the milkshakes. I can't really speak for the food since I haven't been back since graduating (2007). But apparently the same people own both.

piratessabres08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:57 PM
  #299
dan716
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratessabres08 View Post
Actually right next door (to LED) is the Steer, bar and saloon. I never went there as a UB undergrad because I thought it was just a bar. When I found out they served food I had to try it and it was really really good. The pulled pork was one of the best I've had and the salmon was also good.

Lake Effect is good for the experience and the milkshakes. I can't really speak for the food since I haven't been back since graduating (2007). But apparently the same people own both.
Yeah, the same guy owns both restaurants. I've heard the food at the Steer is supposed to be great, but I avoided it like the plague because of it's rep as a bro bar. The only times I would go to Lake Effect would be the 2-for-1 milkshake nights, but I believe that's a thing of the past.....

dan716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:34 PM
  #300
Leafs24Seven*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 1000 Islands Usa/Can
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Thanks to everyone for the info about LED. Went yesterday and had some great and i do mean GREAT food. Started with the crab cakes and provolone wedges. The crab cakes were good, but nobody has come close to beating ruby tuesday's crab cakes yet, IMHO. The deep fried provolone wedges were the best cheese "sticks" i have ever had. The one thing i had to try for the main course was the smoked cured maple ham with the red eye gravy that was shown on diners drive ins and dives (takes 12-14 days in the smoker) and it was simple out of this world! as was the griddle mac and cheese... my buddy have a bananna split shake and was also awesome. Yes for the person wondering if they still have 2-4-1 shakes, they do on tuesdays. Two appetizers, 2 meals and a shake was about $53 plus tip. Thanks again to all who posted. Next trip to Buffalo i will have to try the other place they featured on triple D, The Blackthorn Rest and Pub.

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.