HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Info for fans visiting Buffalo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-09-2011, 06:39 PM
  #301
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,449
vCash: 500
A few questions for you guys... road-tripping through the area in the next few weeks and having a helluva time finding a reasonably priced hotel with decent ratings, or which has not been labeled a "youth hockey hostile with drunken parents".


Looking the Best Western Plus...
601 Dingens Street, Cheektowaga, NY

1) Has been newly renovated and price is decent relative to others around the airport and compared to those around Amherst, but looks like south side of town, satellite makes it hard to tell what kind of area it is. Safe?

1a) Is this location (once you get back on 90 going N) about 20-30 minutes from the Falls or is it more than that even mid-morning / post-rush-hour?


2) Checking out the Anchor Bar (probably a tourist type place but one of the originals for Wings according to my sources)... that looks to be in an OK area. Any reason I should be concerned parking there with out of state plates or whatnot? Figured it's probably fine but can't hurt to ask ahead of time. Also does Drew Stafford eat here? I would like to get his autograph for his excellent YouTube performances. Can never have too many guys like that on your team.

Thanks in advance.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 07:47 AM
  #302
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,449
vCash: 500
BTW I was just kidding about hounding Stafford for an autograph.

Anyone? Anyone?

Mostly looking to get a bead on the best places to stay for around $100/night as far as safe area, quieter demographic (not "hockey hotels" - love the game or I wouldn't be here but I'll need sleep bigtime for the long drive the next day). Is that Batavia area OK? Looks like just four hotels in a corn field, which is fine, but hard to know which of the reviews on hotels.com are bogus, aside from the ones with 4-5 stars and no words. Any insights appreciated. Looking forward to visiting Buffalo, just want to make sure I don't do anything stupid AFA where I choose to stay. Living around Chicago all my life I know some places are better than others for outsiders.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:38 AM
  #303
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,483
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
A few questions for you guys... road-tripping through the area in the next few weeks and having a helluva time finding a reasonably priced hotel with decent ratings, or which has not been labeled a "youth hockey hostile with drunken parents".


Looking the Best Western Plus...
601 Dingens Street, Cheektowaga, NY

1) Has been newly renovated and price is decent relative to others around the airport and compared to those around Amherst, but looks like south side of town, satellite makes it hard to tell what kind of area it is. Safe?
Safe yes. Good? I don't know. Those hotels along there remind me of what you see near many an inter-state exit: beds and a bathroom, perhaps of unknown quality. In many cases, you will get what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
1a) Is this location (once you get back on 90 going N) about 20-30 minutes from the Falls or is it more than that even mid-morning / post-rush-hour?
Everywhere is about 30 minutes to get to the Falls. "Rush" hour is more like 20-30 minutes of 40 m.p.h. traffic. From there, you could also take the 190 into and through downtown, taking it up to the Grand Island bridges and over. Both directions are about the same distance, but the 90-to-290 is typically more travelled in the morning.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
2) Checking out the Anchor Bar (probably a tourist type place but one of the originals for Wings according to my sources)... that looks to be in an OK area. Any reason I should be concerned parking there with out of state plates or whatnot? Figured it's probably fine but can't hurt to ask ahead of time. Also does Drew Stafford eat here? I would like to get his autograph for his excellent YouTube performances. Can never have too many guys like that on your team.

Thanks in advance.

Anchor Bar is in a borderline seedy area. That said, they do their best to make sure tourists aren't at the brunt of anything untoward. Dinner would be a better time.

As for Stafford, many of the team get a pre-game lunch at Chef's , even if you're kidding.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:18 PM
  #304
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Safe yes. Good? I don't know. Those hotels along there remind me of what you see near many an inter-state exit: beds and a bathroom, perhaps of unknown quality. In many cases, you will get what you pay for.
Yah that's what I figured about the good part. Most motel chains are hard to read so I'll just go with "renovated in 2011" on that one and the better price. But definitely not a high crime / theft area then?



Quote:
Everywhere is about 30 minutes to get to the Falls. "Rush" hour is more like 20-30 minutes of 40 m.p.h. traffic. ...
Thanks. That sounds pretty good. Wanted to make sure I avoid any "5mph traffic" zones in the morning.


Quote:
Anchor Bar is in a borderline seedy area. That said, they do their best to make sure tourists aren't at the brunt of anything untoward. Dinner would be a better time.

As for Stafford, many of the team get a pre-game lunch at Chef's , even if you're kidding.
Are the wings at Chef's comparable and is it in a better area? If so I'll convince my wife to go there instead. Main objective is most awesome food possible while not sticking out like a sore thumb with out of town plates, etc.

Thanks for these answers and in advance for any additional info. I appreciate it.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 07:45 PM
  #305
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon
 
chadthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
Are the wings at Chef's comparable and is it in a better area? If so I'll convince my wife to go there instead. Main objective is most awesome food possible while not sticking out like a sore thumb with out of town plates, etc.

Thanks for these answers and in advance for any additional info. I appreciate it.

Chef's is an Italian restaurant, and unless I'm gravely mistaken does not serve wings. You really can't go wrong with the Anchor Bar, seedy area or not. It's really not that bad, I used to go there all the time with my family and I've never had any issues other than the area looking like ****.

Anchor Bar is always packed with in and out of towners, so you'll be fine.

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 07:56 PM
  #306
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadthestampede View Post
Chef's is an Italian restaurant, and unless I'm gravely mistaken does not serve wings. You really can't go wrong with the Anchor Bar, seedy area or not. It's really not that bad, I used to go there all the time with my family and I've never had any issues other than the area looking like ****.

Anchor Bar is always packed with in and out of towners, so you'll be fine.
Thanks for the added info.

Yah as we looked at the Chef's menu it didn't look much different than other Italian places but we still might hit it for lunch one day.


We've narrowed down to Duffs or Anchor bar for Wings, probably late afternoon on our way back from the Falls. Duffs looks completely benign / typical suburban area... so the question... which do you prefer for wings? We're not super heat-seaker types looking to burn the teeth out of our mouths, more we enjoy a good German beer and a good spicy but flavor-first wing (not heat-first). We just want to order a dozen, a couple pints and kick back and enjoy a real Buffalo food experience.

And any time you guys are coming into Chicago, PM me and I'll do what I can to direct to some of our awesome restaurants.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:16 PM
  #307
Zman5778
Registered User
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cressona/Reading, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,733
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
We've narrowed down to Duffs or Anchor bar for Wings, probably late afternoon on our way back from the Falls. Duffs looks completely benign / typical suburban area... so the question... which do you prefer for wings?

Oh man, look out....that could start a war......lol.

Travel Channel's "Food Wars" series actually did Duff's vs. Anchor Bar as one of their episodes.


Rightfully, Duff's won. I think their wings are a bit better.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:21 PM
  #308
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon
 
chadthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
I moved here 17 years ago and tried Duff's wings for the first time about 3 weeks ago. I was thoroughly unimpressed.

Anchor Bar is a lot more polished (and there is a lot more on the menu as well) for tourists.

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:35 PM
  #309
Rebuild
Registered User
 
Rebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Oh man, look out....that could start a war......lol.

Travel Channel's "Food Wars" series actually did Duff's vs. Anchor Bar as one of their episodes.


Rightfully, Duff's won. I think their wings are a bit better.


I like duffs better myself. But, honestly you won't be disappointed by either place. If I was coming in from out of town though, I'd go Anchor Bar. It's the original and that would put it over the top in my book.

Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:39 AM
  #310
werpudel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
well, I've been to buffalo twice for sabres-games (coming over from austria) and I like to stay at the hyatt. room rates are around 100 dollars a night which I think is quitet reasonable as you get a first class hotel which is just three or four tram-stations from the arena (and the tram is free).

you also get a parking-garage right across the hotel which is just a dollar per day when you stay at the hotel. you also have the "nightclub-district" right around the corner (sorry, can't remember the name of the street where all the most-frequented bars seem to be situated)

I've been to Anchor's and it was quite fun, though not overwhelming. personally, I prefer the buffalo wings at the Millennium Grill which is also just across the street from the hotel.

I've also met Danny Briere at the hotel as the Hyatt seems to be one of two hotels where the away teams visiting buffalo seem to stay. so - good chance to get autographs from out-of-town players if you like those.

all in all, this is what I can recommend. during the winter there's really not much to do in buffalo other than going to the games and checking out the shopping malls (Walden Galleria surely being the most prominent). Oh yes, and going the Niagara Falls. Those are especially breathtaking in winter when everything around the falls is completely frozen over.

werpudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:12 PM
  #311
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,449
vCash: 500
All great information... thanks Buffalo dudes!


Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:28 AM
  #312
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,449
vCash: 500
Post-visit report:

I found that Best Western on Dingens to be pretty decent. Right off the highway and in pretty good condition but lousy noise insulation if you ever need a good night's sleep there. Area did seem safe generally. I think best thing about it is easy access to the highways so you can literally get around the city in a hurry to whichever points you're going to. Decent breakfast buffet. Stay away from the sausage gravy and biscuits... looks like a pan of white snot.

We ended up going to Duffs after enjoying $2.60 packets of hot chocolate mix at Niagara Falls (worth about $.40 - same crap you get in corporate coffee closets... guess I shouldn't be surprised given the venue and captive audience). We can't compare it to anchor bar but there was a small line inside the door, they got us seated quick and got us our food quick. As an outsider I'd put it this way: atmosphere there is weak but the wings were very good and the portions generous. We also had their home-made italian sausage I think it was... pretty good. Waitresses are all right but pretty much is take the order, bring the food, show up with a check to move you out as quick as possible.

Thanks to all who provided the tips. The only thing we were bummed about is there was no Tim Horton's near our hotel that we could find. Mmm. Doughnuts.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:41 AM
  #313
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,483
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
Post-visit report:

I found that Best Western on Dingens to be pretty decent. Right off the highway and in pretty good condition but lousy noise insulation if you ever need a good night's sleep there. Area did seem safe generally. I think best thing about it is easy access to the highways so you can literally get around the city in a hurry to whichever points you're going to. Decent breakfast buffet. Stay away from the sausage gravy and biscuits... looks like a pan of white snot.

We ended up going to Duffs after enjoying $2.60 packets of hot chocolate mix at Niagara Falls (worth about $.40 - same crap you get in corporate coffee closets... guess I shouldn't be surprised given the venue and captive audience). We can't compare it to anchor bar but there was a small line inside the door, they got us seated quick and got us our food quick. As an outsider I'd put it this way: atmosphere there is weak but the wings were very good and the portions generous. We also had their home-made italian sausage I think it was... pretty good. Waitresses are all right but pretty much is take the order, bring the food, show up with a check to move you out as quick as possible.

Thanks to all who provided the tips. The only thing we were bummed about is there was no Tim Horton's near our hotel that we could find. Mmm. Doughnuts.
Closest Timmy's from there is coming out of the hotel, turn right and proceed about a quarter mile to Harlem Rd, then right on Harlem and it will be on your left two lights down. Not that it helps you now....

Glad you had an ok visit.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:18 AM
  #314
its just me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jefferson County NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what time the doors at first niagara center open on game nights? I'll be attending fridays game against the wings but I live 4 hours away so I'm just trying to figure out when to head down. Also, this is a silly question but is it fairly easy locating your seats? This will be my first NHL game and i'd rather not spend half the first period lost lol thanks for any help

its just me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:14 PM
  #315
Yummy Tree Sap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
I can't answer the question about when the doors open. I mean, I think the doors are always open on game nights because of people picking up tickets or who want to go to the Sabres Store, but I don't know when they let people through the gates.

As far as finding your seats, it's very easy. If you know how to read and walk in a circle, you can find your seats.

Yummy Tree Sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:06 PM
  #316
Rebuild
Registered User
 
Rebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by its just me View Post
hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what time the doors at first niagara center open on game nights? I'll be attending fridays game against the wings but I live 4 hours away so I'm just trying to figure out when to head down. Also, this is a silly question but is it fairly easy locating your seats? This will be my first NHL game and i'd rather not spend half the first period lost lol thanks for any help


I know you can get to your seat an hour before game time. Never got there much earlier than that. As mentioned already, Lobby and the Sabres store a lot earlier.

Since it's your first game I'd say get there early for the pregame skate. They let you right up by the glass even if you only have cheap seats. If you are a Sabres fan head to either section 102-103 or 120-121 to be right about the goal line to see the Sabres skate. If you're a wings fan 107-108 or 114-115. You can get some great pictures even if you only use a cell. But, Cameras are allowed too.


If you are a wings fan they'll be plenty in the building to keep you company.


As mentioned above super easy to find any seat in the building. Lots of ushers to help and most of the fans are friendly too.


Have a great time.

Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:33 PM
  #317
its just me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jefferson County NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
thank you for the help, its definitely appreciated

its just me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 04:52 AM
  #318
werpudel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
hey guys. I'll be coming over in a few days and was wondering if you could recommend any shopping mall except for the walden galleria? thanks in advance!

werpudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:03 AM
  #319
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,437
vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by werpudel View Post
hey guys. I'll be coming over in a few days and was wondering if you could recommend any shopping mall except for the walden galleria? thanks in advance!
I suggest looking at the provided link to see where has the shops you'd like to visit. The suburban malls all neighbor smaller strip plazas and restaurants, with the Walden Galleria as the top draw. In the city, however, Elmwood Village has the smaller boutiques, galleries, food, and nightlife.
Quote:
In the town of Cheektowaga stands the Walden Galleria, a two-floor shopping destination filled with stores like Macy’s, Coach and Oakley. Already the largest mall in the region, the Galleria has expanded in recent years to include a number of high-end retailers and new restaurants. Other popular malls include the Boulevard Mall in Amherst, the Eastern Hills Mall in Clarence and the McKinley Mall in Hamburg. And at the Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls, you’ll find big name brands at a fraction of the cost.
http://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/t...o-do/shopping/
Quote:
Named one of the "10 Great Neighborhoods in America" by the American Planning Association, the Elmwood Village is one of Buffalo's top shopping and entertainment districts. Bordered by the city's museum district on one end and Allentown on the other, Elmwood Avenue features a host of boutiques, coffee shops, bars, art galleries and restaurants.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:26 AM
  #320
werpudel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I suggest looking at the provided link to see where has the shops you'd like to visit. The suburban malls all neighbor smaller strip plazas and restaurants, with the Walden Galleria as the top draw. In the city, however, Elmwood Village has the smaller boutiques, galleries, food, and nightlife. http://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/t...o-do/shopping/
thanks a lot!

werpudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:47 PM
  #321
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party
 
DonCherrysSuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Last night, about 10 minutes before the puck dropped, there were lots of guys outside the arena shouting that they were selling tickets for $15-20...is this normal or was last night's game a fluke? And are these tickets legit?

I want to see you guys beat Boston next week and I'm wondering if I should drop the $40 on stubhub or just show up and buy from a scalper.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:45 PM
  #322
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
Hey guys. I just got a digital SLR camera, are those allowed to be brought in by fans for pictures? I figure not, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:56 PM
  #323
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Hey guys. I just got a digital SLR camera, are those allowed to be brought in by fans for pictures? I figure not, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Absolutely! I have brought mine from time to time thru the years.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:46 PM
  #324
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,437
vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Hey guys. I just got a digital SLR camera, are those allowed to be brought in by fans for pictures? I figure not, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Yes; when I'm in town for games, one of the regulars in the row ahead of us usually sports what looks like a Nikon D5100.
Quote:
The camera policies are as follows:
  • Buffalo Sabres/Buffalo Bandits games: Flash photography is permitted. Guests may use cameras (including digital) with long lenses provided they do not obstruct the view of other patrons. In addition, guests and their cameras cannot block aisles or access-ways. Tri-Pods are NOT permitted.
  • Guests may only take photos from their seats, and are not permitted to use the "mouseholes" in the glass. Video cameras are permitted during youth hockey only. Only credentialed media are permitted to use approved areas, such as the 200 level platforms and glass cut outs. For questions regarding camera policies for other First Niagara Center events, please call Account Services at 1-888-GO-SABRES (1-888-467-2273).
http://www.firstniagaracenter.com/guide.asp

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:40 AM
  #325
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
Thanks guys, mucho appreciated. I'll be in town for Devils/Sabres on the 14th. What a perfect Valentine's Day. Me and my one true love, the game of hockey together.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.