HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mega deal?

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 03:43 AM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
Mega deal?

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...2-02-0067.html

I'm all for it as long as they don't do anything harsh. It's funny how Brownlee mentions that there's not market for Comrie and one of the names that is mentioned as a possible "enticement" to get a deal done is Isbister.

I mean, come on! On the other names, maybe it is time to trade Laraque. I mean, I think alot of teams want him.

I just hope they won't trade Smyth of Brewer. That would b stupid.

Old
12-02-2003, 03:58 AM
metallicat

Oh that story also appears in the Edmonton Sun? Close window, and walk away.

Old
12-02-2003, 03:59 AM
H-Bear

Very interesting read. I just really really hope we Lowe doesn't do a deal just because the team has lost 3 straight; nothing good ever comes out of a sudden trade.

I like the idea of adding Isbister to the deal though. Trade Comrie + Isbister for a centre and D-man. I would be a huge fan of that.

What could we get though?
Vishnevski + ??? from ANA, maybe.

Old
12-02-2003, 04:02 AM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Atleast they haven't changed their minds on giving him away for nothing.

Quote:
"We're not going to give the guy away for the sake of making a trade," Prendergast said. "We know the kid wants to be traded, but we don't have anybody saying, 'We're interested.'

"Kevin's got to make the right deal ... we could turn around and say, 'Sure, we'll just take this or that.' What are the fans going to say? What are you (media) guys going to say?"
Sounds like something of good value will have to come back our way even if we have to make a multi-player deal. Should be interesting to see what comes of this. It's also funny that he mentions Handzus as "fact" and Philly has already denied interest in Comrie. So I'm not sure how much we can trust Brownlee.

PS: I just hope people don't start jumping on Brownlee's proposed names, since Prendergast didn't actually single anyone out. He just said other teams have interest in some of our other players. And it's funny he mentions all our big players, but not someone like Horcoff, who was supposidly wanted by Nashville at the draft with Comrie.

Last edited by JJTopper: 12-02-2003 at 04:33 AM.
Old
12-02-2003, 04:16 AM
Obsessed

Im sticking to my theory that the NYI are going to get Comrie. Lowe and Milbury like to dance together. Rumors has it that Peca is unhappy there. Save the comments Im just saying!! Wouldn't he be just what the PK needed though. Like getting Toddy back only better. Much better!! Smytty would love to play with him.

Old
12-02-2003, 06:02 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
Im sticking to my theory that the NYI are going to get Comrie. Lowe and Milbury like to dance together. Rumors has it that Peca is unhappy there. Save the comments Im just saying!! Wouldn't he be just what the PK needed though. Like getting Toddy back only better. Much better!! Smytty would love to play with him.
Ya, I'd love to have Peca too - but I don't think that we could get him without seriously overpaying. Milbury knows what a mess that room is right now, and if he were to take out Peca it would only get worse.

Old
12-02-2003, 06:09 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
Oh that story also appears in the Edmonton Sun? Close window, and walk away.
The actual quotes of Kevin Pendergast don't mean much to you?

Old
12-02-2003, 06:28 AM
metallicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
The actual quotes of Kevin Pendergast don't mean much to you?
The fact that Prendergast has said that they would consider throwing another player into the ring is useless...who cares? We already know that is Lowe needs to do that to get a deal done, he will. So what if Brownlee throws some names out there, I could do the same and it would all be guessing.

Old
12-02-2003, 06:37 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Actually, Isbister is somone I wouldn't mind throwing in a deal. I've just always been afraid to mention his name. He's really not that bad, but I don't think he's ever going to be any better.

Trading either one of Smyth or Brewer would be a massive mistake, IMO. Especially Brewer. I just don't see him not becoming all he's supposed to on the blue line.

Old
12-02-2003, 06:41 AM
Slats432

Quote:
The fact that Prendergast has said that they would consider throwing another player into the ring is useless...who cares? We already know that is Lowe needs to do that to get a deal done, he will. So what if Brownlee throws some names out there, I could do the same and it would all be guessing.
If the article or the thread doesn't mean anything then why comment? If the fact that Brownlee quotes Pendergast and he writes for the Sun means you discredit the entire article then so be it.

The rest of us would like to discuss what Pendergast said.

Old
12-02-2003, 06:48 AM
officeglen

Quote:
I guess that was a long way of saying yes (the quotes don't mean much to him). However the quotes mean a lot to me as they define the nearterm trading strategy of the Oilers and also explain why no trade has happened up to now.

Old
12-02-2003, 06:54 AM
Digger12

I just found it interesting that it was Prendergast popping off on the veterans. You don't hear him like this very often, so it grabs your attention. He's not the type that likes to hear the sound of his own voice.

It could just be a warning shot to let the vets know that their comfort zone isn't as big as they might think it is...or management truly is concerned with the lack of production from certain players and are reevaluating what their goals should be for this year. Signing Oates was an obvious indication that they wanted to at least try to do some damage this year, so now how do they follow up?

The obvious one that stands out is Smyth, but c'mon...he's playing out of position AND on the 3rd line with pluggers 'r us. While I don't think he's untouchable, I would hope that guys like BG, Horcoff and Isbister (though he really hasn't been that bad) pack their bags before Smyth does.

Problem is, packaging Smyth would be the one thing that really entices another team...imagine a Comrie/Smyth deal? Yikes.

Old
12-02-2003, 06:54 AM
metallicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
I guess that was a long way of saying yes (the quotes don't mean much to him). However the quotes mean a lot to me as they define the nearterm trading strategy of the Oilers and also explain why no trade has happened up to now.
There is no near-term here if other teams aren't willing to accept our baggage that we throw at them. Its fine to say we could throw in some veterans, but who would want them with the way they are playing?

Old
12-02-2003, 06:56 AM
officeglen

Quote:
There is no near-term here if other teams aren't willing to accept our baggage that we throw at them. Its fine to say we could throw in some veterans, but who would want them with the way they are playing?
There is a near-term strategy, it just might not be effective.

Old
12-02-2003, 07:00 AM
Cowboy

Send a message via MSN to Cowboy Send a message via Yahoo to Cowboy
Hopefully something gets done, lowe says he doesn't want this thing dragging on. I can really see him throwing a center into the deal, probably horcoff, as we have 4 now, plus sarno, plus 2 good ones coming. I could also see maybe a dman getting thrown in as well.

It interested me when they were saying they are considering a 2 for 2 or a 3 for 3 deal. i would guess either comire and horcoff, or comrie horcoff and laraque. I can't see them trading izzy. They all think too highly of him, it took them soooo long to get him, they finally did, they're not trading him already.

I don't know, too mch speculation. I just want it to be over with.

Old
12-02-2003, 07:01 AM
metallicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
There is a near-term strategy, it just might not be effective.
That is true. I am sure if possible a deal would be done sooner rather than later. I don't think the Oilers are struggling enough yet for a deal to be rushed into. And when I say rushed, I mean slamming a veteran such as Smyth into the mix just to get something moving.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:35 AM
copperandblue

I don't think Lowe can trade Smyth. Even if his numbers suggest he is struggling for the entire year.

But I think the reason Lowe has to keep him is less about his play and more political in nature.

The same way that guys point out that Lowe can't give Comrie a big contract because it will most likely have a trickle down effect to other young guns negotiating in the future. Trading Smyth could also have a negative trickle down effect in the future of the club. Last summer we saw Lowe plead with Smyth in the summer that Edmonton is the best place to play and if he wants to stay he needs to make a commitment to the team and city by taking a little less to stay. Something that ultimately resulted in the two year deal and avoided arbitration.

How can he now consider trading him?

He asked for loyalty from Smyth and got it. He has to show some in return or else he isn't going to be able to convince anyone that the Oilers are an organization that will treat players honestly. New CBA or not, the Oilers are still going to have a tough time keeping their stars and they have to be seen as an organization that is good for the players even if the money isn't there.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:40 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Actually, Isbister is somone I wouldn't mind throwing in a deal. I've just always been afraid to mention his name. He's really not that bad, but I don't think he's ever going to be any better.

Trading either one of Smyth or Brewer would be a massive mistake, IMO. Especially Brewer. I just don't see him not becoming all he's supposed to on the blue line.
If this deal was ponied up would you take it?

Comrie and Smith and Laraque for Chistov, Vishnevski, Lupal and Bryzgalov.

I certainly would take it.

I think that the comrie deal will include one of our LW's and with the play of smyth lately I could easily see it being him.

Our roster would look like this. although young very talented

Torres York Hemsky
Chistov oates Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Chimera Stoll Lupal

Brewer vishnevski
Smith Staois
Bergeron Cross

Salo/conks With bryz ready to go if we have another injury

While not a veteran lineup it is sure a talented one. # years from now we would be a force in the west. If you look where these players were drafted it woul be like we got lottery picks for 3-4 years(vishnovski, lupal, chistov, torres) It like going through a rebuilding period without the massive losing.

Old
12-02-2003, 09:39 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
If this deal was ponied up would you take it?

Comrie and Smith and Laraque for Chistov, Vishnevski, Lupal and Bryzgalov.

I certainly would take it.

I think that the comrie deal will include one of our LW's and with the play of smyth lately I could easily see it being him.
Did you mean Smith or Smyth in your trade proposal? As it's laid out above (Smith), I'm fine with that one. Putting in Smyth for Smith is probably closer to fair value, but I don't know if I would pull the trigger on that one.
Quote:

Our roster would look like this. although young very talented

Torres York Hemsky
Chistov oates Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Chimera Stoll Lupal

Brewer vishnevski
Smith Staois
Bergeron Cross

Salo/conks With bryz ready to go if we have another injury

While not a veteran lineup it is sure a talented one. # years from now we would be a force in the west. If you look where these players were drafted it woul be like we got lottery picks for 3-4 years(vishnovski, lupal, chistov, torres) It like going through a rebuilding period without the massive losing.
OK, so based on the lineup, you did mean Smyth in the deal. Hmmm...tough call. I would expect it would be seen as giving up on this season (and maybe next?) for 2-4 years down the road.

I guess it depends on how quickly they figure our other guys like Niinimaaki and Pouliot, Mihknov, Rita et al will be ready to make the jump...

Bart

Old
12-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Thalia

Sounds as though things are heating up in Edmonton.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...65&hubName=nhl

Old
12-02-2003, 10:10 AM
insider
@MarkF_FC

I hesitated, but with that lineup, i would take it. Even if we did lose for the next few seasons, that would only give us better draft picks.Plus we've been on the borderline of the playoffs the last few years, and I'd love to, in a few years, see us at the top of the west.

Old
12-02-2003, 10:10 AM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
Sounds as though things are heating up in Edmonton.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...65&hubName=nhl
That is from the same article in the topic of this thread. They just took it from the Edmonton Sun(local newspaper). Sportsnet.ca did the same thing. I sure hope things are heating up though, I am getting tired of reading Comrie rumours everyday and the ridciulous proposals on these boards. This Comrie fiasco needs to come to and end fast! If adding someone to the trade from the Oilers side makes it happen then let's do it. This team needs a shake-up anyways.

Old
12-02-2003, 10:13 AM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider
I hesitated, but with that lineup, i would take it. Even if we did lose for the next few seasons, that would only give us better draft picks.Plus we've been on the borderline of the playoffs the last few years, and I'd love to, in a few years, see us at the top of the west.
I don't like that lineup. Those forwards are decent but where does the hitting come from. We are getting pushed around and outworked as it is, it would only be worse with that lineup.

Old
12-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Boondock Saint

I wouldn't mind throwing a vet into the mix, but I would be very hesitant to move one of the leaders of this team. Young teams have very fragile confidence, as evidenced by this season. Guys like Moreau, Staios, Smith, Smyth, etc are crucial to our young team just by the leadership they provide.

I hope by moving a vet, Prender ment Horcoff, Isbister, Laraque, etc.

I feel that a big part the reason we are below five hundred is that not one of these guys has elevated their game from last year. I was obviously hoping that all 3 of them would continue improving their game, but realistically, I thought that at least one of them would step it up. Having all three struggling has really hurt our team, IMO.

Old
12-02-2003, 10:18 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Michal Handzus came up in talks with Philadelphia GM Bobby Clarke, and that's not speculation, it's fact. Joffrey Lupul was discussed with Anaheim GM Bryan Murray. Believe it. The problem is name-dropping is one thing and making the leap to a handshake is another, as Lowe is finding out.
Well, St. Louis and Phoenix were dumb enough to trade Handzus, I'm sure Clarke is too. I know little of Joffrey Lupul, but given his play this season I'd think the Ducks would have to pay far more than that for Comrie.

Closed Thread