HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Affy and Andreas go bye bye

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2006, 07:46 PM
boltsgirl41922

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to boltsgirl41922 Send a message via MSN to boltsgirl41922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich Fan View Post
Okay. How about Duncan Keith or Jassen Cullimore?
Yuck and yucky-yuck.

Old
12-29-2006, 07:48 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsgirl41922 View Post
Not necessarily - he didnt chase the money to the Windy City. He and his agent used numbers to substantiate that he deserved that salary, and Feaster was dumb enough to give in.
I think that is the smartest statement you have ever made. Spot on!

Old
12-29-2006, 07:49 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Yuck and yucky-yuck.
Duncan Keith is awesome IMO. AND he's a +11 in his last 15 games. He's young and will only get much better with time.

Old
12-29-2006, 07:51 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Okay. How about Duncan Keith or Jassen Cullimore?
Oh god no.

Old
12-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

vCash: 169
Send a message via MSN to Bish please
Keith would be a current improvement over anyone on our defense with the exception of Kuba.

Old
12-29-2006, 07:55 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
Oh god no.

Kinda figured that would get a rise.

Old
12-29-2006, 07:56 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The XO Sniper View Post
Keith would be a current improvement over anyone on our defense with the exception of Kuba.

I agree. And he is a 1million cap hit. Pretty cheap for a guy who could very well be a top line dman.

Old
12-29-2006, 07:59 PM
gobolt7

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sp...-in-the-paper/

More info on the moves. There was a deal done and another GM changed it on him overnight.

Old
12-29-2006, 08:06 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sp...-in-the-paper/

More info on the moves. There was a deal done and another GM changed it on him overnight.
Prospal for Sydor!!!!!

Old
12-29-2006, 08:08 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Prospal for Sydor!!!!!
Come on man, those nightmares had finally stopped.

Old
12-29-2006, 08:08 PM
NickHanson

Send a message via AIM to NickHanson
Quote:
Prospal for Sydor!!!!!
Woohoo!

Old
12-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 11474
Awards:
Quote:
Prospal for Sydor!!!!!
Oh boy... <------

12-29-2006, 08:16 PM
gobolt7

I just noticed this part, and it has me lost:

Quote:
Feaster, however, did acknowledge that losing one or both to another team without compensation is a legitimate possibility, though if both players clear waivers they will not necessarily be sent to the minor league.

“If they clear and we are healthy they will still be with us,’’ Feaster said.
So you put them on waivers, and if they clear, they stay with the big team? How does that happen?

Old
12-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

Quote:
I just noticed this part, and it has me lost:

So you put them on waivers, and if they clear, they stay with the big team? How does that happen?
Unless I am mistaken you can request waivers on a player without sending them down. It happens in baseball all the time atleast.

Old
12-29-2006, 08:21 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Unless I am mistaken you can request waivers on a player without sending them down. It happens in baseball all the time atleast.
So all that is accomplished by this is financial relief of some sort?

Old
12-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

Quote:
So all that is accomplished by this is financial relief of some sort?
If they are still on the Lightning roster they are still being paid their NHL salary which would mean no cap relief.

Old
12-29-2006, 08:43 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
If they are still on the Lightning roster they are still being paid their NHL salary which would mean no cap relief.

What the **** sense does that make then?

Old
12-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

Quote:
It lets us know Feaster is still alive.

Old
12-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Eshutz Escors

Quote:
If both clear waivers, they can remain on the roster for the next 10 games (or 30 days) and be sent down during that time, without having to pass through waivers again, and if sent down, then the salaries will not count against the cap.

Old
12-29-2006, 11:50 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
If no one claims him off waivers, do you think he'll be playing in Springfield's 12/31 game? Cause if so, I'm going to Springfield
You might want to reconsider your trip to Springfield. The Falcons will be playing in Manchester, NH on 12/31...

Old
12-30-2006, 12:31 AM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
The best thing on earth Tampa could do with this is trade one of Prospal or Fedotenko+pick for a D man, and then send out Richards for a package of 1 or 2 offensive players (at least one, to replace Richards) and more depth on the D end. Then they send out any dead weight replaced by the new arrivals for picks. You just cannot have a overloaded team at any ONE area. Tampa has the offense, they don't get the D or goaltending. By sacrificing some of the talent in the offensive pool, you fill in VERY large gaps in the D. By doing that, your goaltending should improve, unless they're Dan Cloutier. You also gain picks by sending out dead weight, even if they are late late picks.

I just honestly feel like unloading top end talent for depth is the only way to win in this NHL. Not trades for the sake of trades. Not just because. You won't win unless you can compete with the elite. This team would be DESTROYED in a series against the Sabres, or the Ducks. Making the playoffs doesn't mean jack if you don't win it all. Ask any player who plays any game if making the playoffs means a thing to any of them if they don't win it all. You don't play to almost win the cup, you play to win the cup.

Last edited by Butchered: 12-30-2006 at 12:49 AM.
Old
12-30-2006, 12:54 AM
Tokala

Good riddance Affy and Karlsson. The popcorn servers have left the building.

I'm still amazed at how quickly people have thrown Richards under the bus. Good lord, Lecavalier plays inconsistent from 1998-2004 and gets a free pass. Richards plays well consistently from 2000-2004, has a bad 40 first games this year and everyone wants to jettison him like a bad can of tuna? Where's the patience for Richards that everyone was so gracious with Lecavalier for 6 frikken years? There will be regrets if any of the trinity gets traded for any half-baked (good movie by the way) idea.

Old
12-30-2006, 01:41 AM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
It has much less to do with Richards as a player, and much more with his contract. I am sorry, but you can't pay a guy that much money unless he is the absolute elite. A guy like Ovechkin is worth 7.8. A guy like Crosby, or Malkin, or Broduer, Pronger, Lidstrom. Those guys are worth the money. Say what you will about the younger guys, but they will far surpass Richards in every end of the game when they hit their peak, if they haven't already, and the other guys go without saying. They're the absolute best at their position.

Richards is good, maybe even great. We've seen what he did in the playoffs, he's wickedly consistent, and there's no question the guy is worth some money, but I'm not sure he's worth 7.8, and I'm damn positive he isn't worth it on a team that already has a franchise center in Lecavalier making over 7 million.

I will say it again, you can not win in this new league by with any one area of your team overloaded. You need to roll 4 lines and 6 D that can contribute in their own way. If you have a 4th line that can't score, you need to be able to play them decent minutes to grind down the other team. Unlike Tampa who gets Andre Roy, plays him less than a minute and a half, and he gets 2 minutes in penalties. You need guys who can hold onto the puck in the corner, dig it out, and create chances. Get it on net, make the other team tired. Tampa has 2 lines that can compete, and 2 lines that see very little ice time, and when they do, it could turn into a disaster at any moment.

You need 6 guys on the D end who can control play. You need guys who can make the smart play, not take stupid penalties at crucial moments. You need tough guys out there who will do more than try to pokecheck a guy speeding into the offensive zone with his head down. They need to take the body, get their man off the puck, and make a SMART pass to move it up the ice. Not these sickening 800 foot blind passes our guys seem to love to try.

You need a starting goalie who can make the right save at the right time. No one is asking them to get a shutout every night, but playing on a team like Tampa that gives up VERY few shots, our goaltending should not be an issue. When you're down a goal or two, make that save at the big moment. Give the guys in front of you some confidence. They won't make that save all the time, but our goalies don't make that save most of the time, which has been a big problem.

Bottom line is, if you have guys on every line that can contribute in their own way, you're going to be ok. You don't need three future allstars on every line, just guys who are able work together and as individuals to make their team successful. If you only have a few select guys who can bring something to the table, and a bunch of guys who don' bring too much to the ice, then you find yourself in trouble.

I know there's people out there that read my posts and probably roll their eyes, and that's ok. This team can do better with the right parts, and it's frustrating as a fan to watch them be so much less than they could be. I've said it before, if these guys come out every night, play hard and play smart for A FULL 60 MINUTES, I won't be upset with any losses. It's when they don't play hard, it's when the guys don't play like they care until they're already 2 or 3 goals down. When they come out and play like that, they will get the heat they rightfully deserve, at least from this fan.

Old
12-30-2006, 03:34 AM
Bolt32

I don't know what is going to happen trade wise. All i do know that if i was in his position I'm looking to go after a goalie. Someone who can give my team the confidence that they can leave him out to dry for a few minutes and not get burnt. Our Stanley cup team should of been killed if u look at it in paper. We won because of habby stood on his head in the moments we needed him.

If we need to get rid of Richard's to get that type of quality of goal tending then fine, do it. Because quite frankly if u think Denis is doing a great job then release him and sign me for minimum league salary because theres games that we played that i could of done better.

Weather or not u want to realize this guys but we flat out SUCK!!!! I'm sick and tired of looking at the score down 4 to 1 in the third. That is plane pathetic, on any level. Were not a Stanley cup team anymore and not a playoff team and that needs to change. Will goal tending do it all? Heck no. But as mentioned earlier we have two really strong lines and two minor league lines. Maybe we need to pull up a few guys in the minors and get them exp. Pull off a few trades, get our goalies back...and stop relying on a guy we signed for minimum league salary that played all of 2 or 3 games in the pro's to be our starter. No offense to homer hes done a hell of a job from what i personally expected from him...but hes not starting material.

We need help, and we need it fast. If not call up the falcons, get there exp and determine who we choose in the draft.....

Old
12-30-2006, 08:27 AM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderworks View Post
It has much less to do with Richards as a player, and much more with his contract. I am sorry, but you can't pay a guy that much money unless he is the absolute elite. A guy like Ovechkin is worth 7.8. A guy like Crosby, or Malkin, or Broduer, Pronger, Lidstrom. Those guys are worth the money. Say what you will about the younger guys, but they will far surpass Richards in every end of the game when they hit their peak, if they haven't already, and the other guys go without saying. They're the absolute best at their position.

Richards is good, maybe even great. We've seen what he did in the playoffs, he's wickedly consistent, and there's no question the guy is worth some money, but I'm not sure he's worth 7.8, and I'm damn positive he isn't worth it on a team that already has a franchise center in Lecavalier making over 7 million.

I will say it again, you can not win in this new league by with any one area of your team overloaded. You need to roll 4 lines and 6 D that can contribute in their own way. If you have a 4th line that can't score, you need to be able to play them decent minutes to grind down the other team. Unlike Tampa who gets Andre Roy, plays him less than a minute and a half, and he gets 2 minutes in penalties. You need guys who can hold onto the puck in the corner, dig it out, and create chances. Get it on net, make the other team tired. Tampa has 2 lines that can compete, and 2 lines that see very little ice time, and when they do, it could turn into a disaster at any moment.

You need 6 guys on the D end who can control play. You need guys who can make the smart play, not take stupid penalties at crucial moments. You need tough guys out there who will do more than try to pokecheck a guy speeding into the offensive zone with his head down. They need to take the body, get their man off the puck, and make a SMART pass to move it up the ice. Not these sickening 800 foot blind passes our guys seem to love to try.

You need a starting goalie who can make the right save at the right time. No one is asking them to get a shutout every night, but playing on a team like Tampa that gives up VERY few shots, our goaltending should not be an issue. When you're down a goal or two, make that save at the big moment. Give the guys in front of you some confidence. They won't make that save all the time, but our goalies don't make that save most of the time, which has been a big problem.

Bottom line is, if you have guys on every line that can contribute in their own way, you're going to be ok. You don't need three future allstars on every line, just guys who are able work together and as individuals to make their team successful. If you only have a few select guys who can bring something to the table, and a bunch of guys who don' bring too much to the ice, then you find yourself in trouble.

I know there's people out there that read my posts and probably roll their eyes, and that's ok. This team can do better with the right parts, and it's frustrating as a fan to watch them be so much less than they could be. I've said it before, if these guys come out every night, play hard and play smart for A FULL 60 MINUTES, I won't be upset with any losses. It's when they don't play hard, it's when the guys don't play like they care until they're already 2 or 3 goals down. When they come out and play like that, they will get the heat they rightfully deserve, at least from this fan.

I completely agree with everything you said except for Malkin being worth 7.8. He's not. At least not yet.

Closed Thread