Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's Sum Up Some Positives

Old
12-30-2006, 02:15 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
Let's Sum Up Some Positives

Iggy has had three 4 pt games in his last 10.
Langkow is maintaining a better than 1 ppg average.
Any left wing that has played on that line, has put up lots of points.
The Flames have shown character by recovering from 2 goal deficits in recent games.
The Flames are tied for first place.
The Flames are outscoring the Oilers.
Iggy is top producer in the West.
Iggy has top goals in the West.
Iggy has #3 assists in the West.
Iggy #3 point percentage in the league.

Iggy -- Iggy -- Iggy

He has been by far, the biggest positive this year.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 09:51 PM
chriss_co

i'll agree with that...

not to be pessimistic but if we were to look at some negatives or disappointments i would quote the following names:

-kipper, phaneuf, tanguay (all 3 of late have struggled)
-regehr (thought he would have taken this season as his coming out party as one of the top 5 defencemen in the league.. seems like he has elected to stay in the top 30-40 rather than elevating his game to the next level)
-friesen, mccarty (friesen more than mccarty since mccarty realistically is more an enforcer/grinder whereas friesen was brought in to bring in some secondary or even tertiary scoring - which he hasn't done)

don't get me wrong about the first 4 names i named, they are extremely good players, its just that i had much higher expectations for them this season (whether or not they were realistic)

to make sure i dont sound like icbites i'll add the following positives/surprises this season:

-lombardi (his revival has been crucial to this teams success)
-giordano (stepped right into a crucial D spot w/o much growing pain.. reminds me of Montador)
-hamrlik (definitely elevated his game this season)
-langkow (stepping up as a bonafide #1 center for iggy)

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 10:27 PM
abracanada

Yep, I would have to concur with those negatives.

Kind of in the middle on Kobasew. He is a much better all around player but not as successful scoring as last year. I believe he will break out though.

I also think, that the Flames, are becoming a good, offensive team. I think they are going to come together as the year progresses and we will see a superior team to the one that entered the playoffs last year. Lots of season left and we are either tied for first, or within a point with games in hand after tonight. We are in pretty good shape.

Old
12-31-2006, 01:03 AM
kruezer

I can agree with most of what has been said, though I do think Regehr has been getting better as the season has gone on. Kiprusoff has been up and down this year much more than last, but the team is not falling apart like everyone seems convinced will happen if he struggles.

I agree that the team is growing well, if Moss and maybe Boyd as well can bring some of the necessary 3rd/4th line scoring I do think this can be a better team at the beginning of the POs this year than the one last year, it seems to be a matter of putting it all together right now.

On a side note, the play of Moss & Boyd, and Giordano & Richie Regehr looks promising and could save the Flames a lot of money next season, hopefully they all continue improving.

Last edited by kruezer: 12-31-2006 at 02:16 AM.
kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 01:24 AM
Body Checker

Warrener and Regehr have looked good together, in fact both look alot faster than they did earlier in the year.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 02:46 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
On a side note, the play of Moss & Boyd, and Giordano & Richie Regehr looks promising and could save the Flames a lot of money next season, hopefully they all continue improving.
unfortunately the only UFA defenseman is Hamrlik... and ther eisnt another d-man ready to step up and play with Dion IMO... he and ference dont play very well together, Zyuzin can't handle those kinds of minutes and Giordano and Richie Regehr arent ready for top 4 minutes... unfortunately i think this means 1 of them will be traded as it will be hard to get either to agree to a 2 way contract as both appear ready for 5th/6th defense duties... i can see 1 sticking around as the #7 guy next year (i think it will be Richie) and i see Gio being either shipped for a pick or packaged for a backup goaltender (or third line scoring)

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 03:39 AM
kruezer

I think the Flames will certainly re-sign Hamrlik for next season, but I guess I was referring more to the forwards with that comment about saving money. I hope the Flames keep both Richie and Giordano as Zyuzin can then leave in 2008 and be replaced easily.

The situation with Hamrlik is going to be interesting, maybe he'll take a one year deal in the offseason? That would be fantastic.

As an aside, does anyone remeber what Ference extension was for?

Old
12-31-2006, 05:17 AM
natural420*

i agree with everything said so far. iginlas been stellar, silencing the genious' that said he wasnt an elite nhl'er and a one hit wonder....in your face prostars .

kiprusoff has struggled latley, and has even cost us a few points, something he didnt do at all last season, but everyone goes through a struggle or two so i don think theres reason to worry. hopefully he'll pull through and be back in the vezina race again by the end of the season.

regehr 30-40?? no way, sure as you said, he's not the top 5 he's capible of, but 30-40, no way. 10 -20 for sure, somewhere in there. he has still been solid on the blueline, but like kiprusoff, he's gonna struggle too. he'll be ok too, iam more confidant in regehr then kiprusoff, and thats saying alot.

overall, i think alot of positives have happened so far this year, and they far outweigh the negatives for the flames. come playoff time this team will be ready, and with the learning process they are goping through right now, are gonna be as dangerous in the playoffs as ever.

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 10:27 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
I think the Flames will certainly re-sign Hamrlik for next season, but I guess I was referring more to the forwards with that comment about saving money. I hope the Flames keep both Richie and Giordano as Zyuzin can then leave in 2008 and be replaced easily.

The situation with Hamrlik is going to be interesting, maybe he'll take a one year deal in the offseason? That would be fantastic.

As an aside, does anyone remeber what Ference extension was for?
ference extension was 3 years with a cap hit of 1.4 million...
and i really hope hammer wants to stay (i'd like to see a 2 year deal though because we already have enough UFAs after 2008)... he and dion are a phenominal defense pairing...

but i wouldnt be opposed to the flames moving regehr and having a #2 pairing of Warrener and Ference... his saalry would at least make hammer re-signable financially

Old
12-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Body Checker

If the Flames have to pick between Regehr and Hamrlik due to cap issues they should re-up Regehr. I just like what he brings to the table and being a long time Flame, SK boy and a stand up guy I hold alot of loyalty for him.

A guy the Flames should chase next offseason is Brent Sopel. Right hand shot to play with Phaneuf on the PP and a Calgary boy. Imagine him and Dion on their wrong sides on the blueline during power plays. Teams would have to defend both their one-time slapshots, not just Phaneuf's.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 02:10 PM
abracanada

I worry a bit about Hamrlik. He has been injury prone since he has come to Calgary. I think I would hold off on trading Regehr until I saw a little more of how he adjusts this year. His asking price shouldn't be as high as worried about, given the performance he turned in this year.

Old
12-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
I worry a bit about Hamrlik. He has been injury prone since he has come to Calgary. I think I would hold off on trading Regehr until I saw a little more of how he adjusts this year. His asking price shouldn't be as high as worried about, given the performance he turned in this year.
true but even a raise to 3.5 to 4 million (same as hammer's range)... that could be playing with fire... there are teams that would overpay for a defenseman like that especially if he has a year remaining on his contract

Old
12-31-2006, 02:23 PM
abracanada

Thing is, he is still pretty young, is relatively injury free, and has played some outstanding defense. I believe this year, is an abberation. Robin very likely has some very good hockey left in him. At his best, he is better than Hamrlik has ever been. I would hate to see a guy like him in an Oiler uniform, and playing the kind of hockey I know he can play.

Old
12-31-2006, 02:29 PM
abracanada

The Flames signed J.D. Watt by the way. That is a positive too.

http://www.calgaryflames.com/cgi-bin...num=0000001094

I would post it separately but I already post too much on here. Could someone else start a thread?

Old
01-01-2007, 05:35 AM
kruezer

On the topic of prospects, Taratukhin's play in the AHL lately has to be a huge positive, he should be the next young guy to get a shot at the NHL level. He is definitely starting to live up to his potential, and maybe seeing his success could encourage Trubachev to try out NA next year.

Old
01-01-2007, 03:14 PM
abracanada

I heard the reason Taratukhin hasn't been brought up yet, is because of some problems with his family immigrating. Seems that if he is skipping between two countries, it makes it harder so Sutter has left him in Omaha for now.

I heard he had a four point night the other day. That is promising. I hoped he had the skill to make it offensively.

Whoops, he had a hat trick last night too. Suddenly he has 27 pts in 34 games. Looks like he has made some adjustments to his game.

Old
01-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Phaneuf_for_calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Iggy has had three 4 pt games in his last 10.
Langkow is maintaining a better than 1 ppg average.
Any left wing that has played on that line, has put up lots of points.
The Flames have shown character by recovering from 2 goal deficits in recent games.
The Flames are tied for first place.
The Flames are outscoring the Oilers.
Iggy is top producer in the West.
Iggy has top goals in the West.
Iggy has #3 assists in the West.
Iggy #3 point percentage in the league.

Iggy -- Iggy -- Iggy

He has been by far, the biggest positive this year.
All I can say is gp.

Phaneuf_for_calder is offline   Reply With Quote