HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

with all the islander talk...scatchard to the Habs?

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 07:17 AM
shayne

vCash: 500
with all the islander talk...scatchard to the Habs?

the team in montreal is looking to get bigger, perreault and juneau will not be back next year and likely hossa and kilger will try out for the third line checking centre but scatchard can do the job effectivly.

i want " Scatch " in a hab uniform and i wonder what would be fair return.

I know Mad Mike is sometimes foolish when he makes moves but perhaps the habs could send jason ward to the isles or maybe quintel and a 3rd rd pick

Old
12-02-2003, 07:23 AM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne
the team in montreal is looking to get bigger, perreault and juneau will not be back next year and likely hossa and kilger will try out for the third line checking centre but scatchard can do the job effectivly.

I know Mad Mike is sometimes foolish when he makes moves but perhaps the habs could send jason ward to the isles or maybe quintel and a 3rd rd pick
Scatch, at 1.5 mill, is not over paid for what he brings to the team. Players like Parrish or one of the top four defensemen will be moved first.

Seeing that Scatch is a less likely Salary dump player (at least IMO) than your packages will not even begin to be of any intrest to the Isles.

I would think Millbury would want one of your young Dmen (yes thats Hainsey or Komo) to center a deal around one centering Scatchard as your return. This would allow MM to move a top four defenseman to dump salary.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:14 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

He was the deal breaker 3 yrs ago in the Jason Allison to LI deal.

and McKenzie says the isles could have had Morris for Izzy+Scatchard July 2002.

That was before his 27 goal season.
I'd expect Scatchard would be packaged if he was dealt to bring back a better return the Ward or Quintel.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:56 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Just a suggestion. As true as your characterization of Milbury ("foolish") is, it's really a waste of time formulating a deal based on the premise/hope that one GM will be really, really stupid in the deal.

That deal is one-sided and does nothing for NYI except move one of the team's best assets for either an underachiever (Ward) or a 35 y/o pedestrian dman, with virtually no payroll savings.

It is analogous to an NYI fan suggesting that maybe NYI can get Gainey on day when his mind is adrift and convince him to exchange Komisarek for Shawn Bates!

Old
12-02-2003, 08:58 AM
shayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
He was the deal breaker 3 yrs ago in the Jason Allison to LI deal.

That was before his 27 goal season.
I'd expect Scatchard would be packaged if he was dealt to bring back a better return the Ward or Quintel.
Maybe so but the 27 goal year was a big year and well above his average, i think dave is a nice player and the habs should try to get him but he is not a 27 goal scorer every year, by the way, why has he only played 4 games this year with no points.

You want hainsey, then a 27 year old third line centre would have to include something else maybe a 2nd rd pick.

Old
12-02-2003, 09:04 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Maybe so but the 27 goal year was a big year and well above his average, i think dave is a nice player and the habs should try to get him but he is not a 27 goal scorer every year, by the way, why has he only played 4 games this year with no points.

You want hainsey, then a 27 year old third line centre would have to include something else maybe a 2nd rd pick.

yes the 27 goal season was well above his average,but the point is even before that season,Scatchard had strong trade value.
That season certanly doesn't hurt it.

and he's been out the last 6-7 weeks rehabbing a dislocated shoulder.Is supposed to be close to returning.

Old
12-02-2003, 10:01 AM
shayne

Quote:
yes the 27 goal season was well above his average,but the point is even before that season,Scatchard had strong trade value.
That season certanly doesn't hurt it.

and he's been out the last 6-7 weeks rehabbing a dislocated shoulder.Is supposed to be close to returning.
I guess everyone will likely wait to see how scatchard response to physical play after his surgery.

I did not suggest milbury was going to give scatchard away but he did give weimer away and he has moved players in the past that most wanabe GMs would not have done( luongo,bertuzzi,brewer,torres,palffy,chara,spezza etc)

i like scatchard and i wondered if a good prospect would get the deal done, if not milroy or ward then what would the isles want ( please don't say komisarek)

Old
12-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Tiki

Quote:
i like scatchard and i wondered if a good prospect would get the deal done, if not milroy or ward then what would the isles want ( please don't say komisarek)
The Isles are not really in need of Dumping a player thats not over paid and brings a physical element to the team for prospects right now.

If the Isles do dump, expect it to be a higher paid player, or expect to over pay for Scatch.

We are not in the need of second/third line type of forward prospects because we have about 5 or 6 of them playing on the Island right now as we speak.

Therefore you would (yep here it comes again) need to pony up a good young defenseman. You don't want to move one? Then please feel free to look elsewhere.

You are asking for the least likely to be moved forward who already shaves on our roster.

"Thank you for shopping the New york Islanders clearence sale, Please come again and have a happy holidays."

Old
12-02-2003, 11:08 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
I would tend to agree that Scatchard is far down the list of players that the Islanders are looking to deal. No reason at all to deal him, especially when you're offering basically nothing.

Last edited by btmarshall: 12-02-2003 at 11:13 AM.

Old
12-02-2003, 11:44 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I guess everyone will likely wait to see how scatchard response to physical play after his surgery.

I did not suggest milbury was going to give scatchard away but he did give weimer away and he has moved players in the past that most wanabe GMs would not have done( luongo,bertuzzi,brewer,torres,palffy,chara,spezza etc)

What would the Isles want? Nothing. There isn't a deal there to be made. Unless the Habs want to overpay seriously (which Bob Gainey is too smart to do), I don't see a deal there. And I agree that moving Komisarek would not make sense of the Habs (and also doubt it would happen) but that might be the sort of return it would take.

12-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
What would the Isles want? Nothing. There isn't a deal there to be made. Unless the Habs want to overpay seriously (which Bob Gainey is too smart to do), I don't see a deal there. And I agree that moving Komisarek would not make sense of the Habs (and also doubt it would happen) but that might be the sort of return it would take.
Mike Komisarek for Scatch? Are you serious? I didn't know that 3rd line centers carried that much value.. I'm trying to imagine Gainey justifying that trade to montreal's medias while Milbury waits anxiously at the airport his newly and cheaply acquiered bluechip prospect...

Old
12-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Jones23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Mike Komisarek for Scatch? Are you serious? I didn't know that 3rd line centers carried that much value.. I'm trying to imagine Gainey justifying that trade to montreal's medias while Milbury waits anxiously at the airport his newly and cheaply acquiered bluechip prospect...
He's not serious!...but to get Scatch you will have to over pay...Isles don't need any salary coming back,no third or fourth liners.They need young cheaper prospects preferably a d-man,hence Komi and Hainsey.

Old
12-02-2003, 01:54 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeca
He's not serious!...but to get Scatch you will have to over pay...Isles don't need any salary coming back,no third or fourth liners.They need young cheaper prospects preferably a d-man,hence Komi and Hainsey.
Koivu, Ribiero, Juneau, Perreault...wouldn't one of these guys have to be moved to make room for scatchard?

Old
12-02-2003, 02:00 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

Isles won't have any trouble moving Scatchard if that's what they want and opposing fans counting on MM waiving him or giving him away for scraps will be disappointed.He's still fairly young at 27 and for most teams his $1.4m salary is affordable.Milbury's gotten an idea of how other teams value Scatchard.He'd be packaged to bring back something of very good value.

Go on the Bruins board and some of their fans recall how the nyi and B's fans debated, when an article from the Boston Globe(or maybe it was the Herald),reported MM nixed the
Jason Allison deal because the B's wouldn't budge off Scatchard being included.

Then later when the B's were gonna lose Wanvig back into the draft,MM reportedly offered a 2nd+a 3rd rounder,but the B's again pushed for Scatchard.Wanvig went elsewhere.

Mckenzie reported the nyi rejecting the Izzy+Scatchard for Morris deal.Although I suspect that was because Peca was rehabbing his knee/shoulder and the isles didn't want to lose 3 forwards off the roster.

Last yr Waddell and owe made noises about aquiring Scatchard,but the Isles showed no interest in moving him.

Old
12-02-2003, 02:21 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron

And exactly where did I say that was fair value? Here is exactly what I wrote:

"I agree that moving Komisarek would not make sense of the Habs (and also doubt it would happen)"

My only point was that if the Habs wanted Scatch, they'd have to overpay at this point and table scraps are not going to get anything done.

Old
12-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki
Scatch, at 1.5 mill, is not over paid for what he brings to the team. Players like Parrish or one of the top four defensemen will be moved first.
What would the Isles want from the Habs in a deal for Parrish?

Old
12-02-2003, 02:43 PM
FunkyChicken

Scatchard is great bang for the buck. If the Habs want him, I think they'd have to part either with Zednik or some top prospects such as Hossa and Komisarek.

Old
12-02-2003, 02:57 PM
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
I would not really seem to be able to judge Parrish's value fairly right now. He can score but is streaky. He's not overly quick, and is shot is not great, but he is a trench warrior who tkes a beating in front and is great on rebound and defelections in front on the power play.

If its strictly a dump prospects and pick would be fine. As for what prospect and or picks I really can't say.

Old
12-02-2003, 03:02 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
i don't think it comes down to what the isles want because i believe that they don't want to deal parrish. if wang pushes for parrish's contract to be moved however, i would suggest it would have to be for a prospect(s). that would be the only reason why parrish would be dealt and, therefore, an asset that doesn't cost the isles any $ at the present time would be the likely scenario.

so, what is the cost of a 25-30 goal scoring second line right winger with a contract of a little over $2M? i know the isles would love to add to their defensive depth but gainey would be unlikely to part with either of his quality young d-men (we all know who they are). so then, another question: would the isles take a forward prospect in return with an abundance of young forwards already in their possession? i would like to say no.

my conclusion then: parrish to montreal doesn't work (using the parrish will be traded for an asset that costs the islanders $0 theory).

Old
12-02-2003, 08:07 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Would you, or any other Islander fan, have made that deal?

Would've been a steal for you guys, personally.

Old
12-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Niinimaa ($2.9M)
Parrish ($2.3M)

for

Hainsey ($1M)
Rivet ($1.5M)

Habs add scoring up front. You're getting Parrish at a lowpoint; his previous numbers and age suggest he will produce. Niinimaa is simply the case of a guy not working out in a certain place (NYI). Right guy, wrong team. Would upgrade Habs current backline and play a lot of minutes.

Isles add some youthful talent to their backline in Hainsey. Ideally Hainsey and Gervais could be a solid duo added to the Isles backline over the next couple of years. They also exchange overall skill (Niinimaa) for a bit more bite in Rivet, an unremarkable, but dependable backliner and team player. That part is a change-of-scenary move, really. The main focus in the deal is Hainsey.

NYI might be required to take on a third, "salary exchange" player (Dackell @ $1.5M?), for currently they are passing on $2.7M additional payroll to the Habs in that deal.

Just a thought.

Old
12-03-2003, 04:31 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend

Oh I was so po'd when I read MM rejected that deal :p

the team doctor had said Peca could be out until after xmas and they'd have been rushing their ahl forwards to fill those empty rosters spots,but I'd have loved that deal.

Old
12-03-2003, 04:37 AM
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend

I would have. I would hate to lose Scatch in any deal, but that would be a very good return.

Oh well.

Old
12-03-2003, 04:49 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Niinimaa ($2.9M)
Parrish ($2.3M)

for

Hainsey ($1M)
Rivet ($1.5M)

Habs add scoring up front. You're getting Parrish at a lowpoint; his previous numbers and age suggest he will produce. Niinimaa is simply the case of a guy not working out in a certain place (NYI). Right guy, wrong team. Would upgrade Habs current backline and play a lot of minutes.

Isles add some youthful talent to their backline in Hainsey. Ideally Hainsey and Gervais could be a solid duo added to the Isles backline over the next couple of years. They also exchange overall skill (Niinimaa) for a bit more bite in Rivet, an unremarkable, but dependable backliner and team player. That part is a change-of-scenary move, really. The main focus in the deal is Hainsey.

NYI might be required to take on a third, "salary exchange" player (Dackell @ $1.5M?), for currently they are passing on $2.7M additional payroll to the Habs in that deal.

Just a thought.
I'd like Hainsey the only interesting player leaving the Habs,but feel Parrish+Niinimaa's overpaying to get him.

Isles wouldn't pay Weimer $1.6m to play on the 3rd line,so I don't see them paying Dackell $1.4m to play on the 3rd line.They'd want one of those cheap kids.

I also don't see them interested in Rivet at $2.5m.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:42 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
The problem I see here is that the question is not simply asking what return the Islanders want for certain players, but from one specific team only. That Montreal team is still patiently in the process of stocking up assets, and at this point does not have the assets, or the inclination to move them, to acquire veterans.

I think that Canadiens fans looking for immediate help in the form of veterans in a trade are out of sync with their team's GM. Bob Gainey is a very patient hockey man with a stellar management track record in Minnesota/Dallas, and will turn that team into a strong contender, but in five years, not two. I think he wants to ride out the present with some maturing youth, keep building up his stable of prospects, and then later make some deals when he has some assets with significant value. Now is not the time I would expect to see him adding veterans.

In answer to the question, the only assets that would interest the Islanders are those assets that Canadiens fans, and their GM, would be unwilling to move. Gainey knows this.

Closed Thread