HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Identity?

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 10:55 AM
Malefic74

vCash: 500
Habs Identity?

Many teams in the league have an identity, something they are known for above all other things that makes them who they are. A few examples would be:

New Jersey: known for stifling defense
Detroit/Colorado: known for dynamic and dangerous offense
Philadelphia: known for size and physical play
Ottawa/Dallas: known for their depth
Toronto: known for gritty and at time dirty play
Edmonton: known for youth and speed

Fair or unfair as these indentities are, they exist nonetheless. When you see those logos or those teams play, it's what first comes to mind. So the question is, what identity do the Habs have? And is it important in building your team?

I think it is, and as I see it, the Habs are soft. They are not a particularly difficult team to play against. Not just in size, but they don't finish checks, they don't punish opposing forwards in front of their own net and they don't forecheck particularly hard. They play a trap and still manage to allow 35 shots a game. Their special teams aren't really feared or respected. For whatever reason there does not seem to be any commitment from the coaching staff to the players to form an identity. For how many more seasons can we say: "Yeah but we have some really good prospects." They're playing like their waiting for something.

It doesn't need to be a trade, but if nothing else I would like to see a LOT more effort from every player on the ice. The Habs don't have the talent to coast. And hard work alone can win you some games and make other teams really hate seeing your name on the schedule.

Old
12-02-2003, 10:59 AM
Capitano

[QUOTE=Malefic74]Many teams in the league have an identity, something they are known for above all other things that makes them who they are. A few examples would be:

"I think it is, and as I see it, the Habs are soft."

You answered it

Cap

Old
12-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Bob Bastards

The Habs identity?

A soft team with no back spine, no grit and no goal scorer. Other team use to say that playing agains Montreal is like having a night off, you are sure you will not get punish if you get the puck or push the goalie or any player for that matter...

I want a team like, oh my god I am almost scare to say it....

Must resist....

Enought....

THE MAPLE LEAFS

OMG I JUST SAY THE BAD WORD...

No kidding, you have to face it, the Leaf have a better team spirit and a better identity then the Habs. If we could play with the same hear and grit that the Leaf I will be the most happy fan in the world. Unfurtunatly we are stuck with a softy team filled with a bunch of no talent veterant and our kid are rotting in the AHL...

Old
12-02-2003, 11:13 AM
prabak11

Send a message via MSN to prabak11 Send a message via Yahoo to prabak11
habs idenity is 24 stanley cups!

Old
12-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
habs identity = overpaid underacheiver veterans

Old
12-02-2003, 11:19 AM
Darz

The habs are getting known for their constantly whinning and complaining fans and their whinning complaining media.

Old
12-02-2003, 12:03 PM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
The habs are getting known for their constantly whinning and complaining fans and their whinning complaining media.
You hit it right on the nail there. We have the most fans who know how to run the team better than the people in charge.

Old
12-02-2003, 12:57 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
You hit it right on the nail there. We have the most fans who know how to run the team better than the people in charge.
I prefer to look at it as fans who will not accept anything less than the maximum effort of all parties involved with the team. The coach has to be accountable too sometimes guys. You make CJ sound like he's won 20 Stanley Cups.

Cap

Old
12-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
I prefer to look at it as fans who will not accept anything less than the maximum effort of all parties involved with the team. The coach has to be accountable too sometimes guys. You make CJ sound like he's won 20 Stanley Cups.
Julien sets the tone, it's what coaches do. Or at least supposed to. CJ seems more and more like a very good assitant, but not so much head coach material. With the improvement of some of the younger players I think it's safe to say he's a good teacher, but with the regression or indifference in the veterans I would say motivation is not a strong point.

If you demote or fire him though who is there to replace him at that price?

Old
12-02-2003, 01:15 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
Julien sets the tone, it's what coaches do. Or at least supposed to. CJ seems more and more like a very good assitant, but not so much head coach material. With the improvement of some of the younger players I think it's safe to say he's a good teacher, but with the regression or indifference in the veterans I would say motivation is not a strong point.

If you demote or fire him though who is there to replace him at that price?
YES! Assistant coach, perfect. Just not the number 1 guy.

Whoever we'd hire, I think he could do better. I trust BG and I know he'll make the right decision in the end. CJ was not his man but BG is fair enough to give him a chance.

In the end though CJ will eventually be fired, it's inevitable, and BG will pick his guy. It's only a matter of time. My guess is by Christmas.

Cap

Old
12-02-2003, 01:20 PM
Top Corner2

good thread.

i think you hit the nail on the head. but i also think that gainey will build us an identity. i'm really excited to find out what it is.....but i think he tipped his hand a bit when he said he wanted to see "SCRUMS lots of SCRUMS all over the ice!"

Old
12-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2
good thread.

i think you hit the nail on the head. but i also think that gainey will build us an identity. i'm really excited to find out what it is.....but i think he tipped his hand a bit when he said he wanted to see "SCRUMS lots of SCRUMS all over the ice!"
I would love to see some emotion out there...I tasted it in the playoffs two years ago...we as hab fans deserve more than what we're getting right now.

Cap

Old
12-02-2003, 01:49 PM
goalchenyuk

the smurf team would say JOHNNY V

VIVA LA CHOU !

Old
12-02-2003, 01:53 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Habs identity = Jose Theodore

Old
12-02-2003, 02:25 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Habs identity = Jose Theodore
Or Mathieu Garon. Take your pick. Needless to say, we need to rely heavily on goaltending and everyone in the league knows that.

Lack of grit, unwilling to play as a team, no respect for teammates, etc. I love this team, but it sure is frustrating to see a multi-million dollar athlete join the world's greatest sports franchise, only to see him sulk and not play to the best of his abilities.

I can count on quite quickly the number of players who show up every night, 6. Koivu -> Ryder -> Bulis -> Ward -> Begin -> Souray.

Closed Thread