Notices

Travis Green

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 07:42 AM
prdbsfan

vCash: 500
Travis Green

This was touched on a little last week. I know some people around here like the guy. All I see is stupid penalties being taken and not much production. What is it about the right wing spot on the third line? Is it Rollie and Axe? Lapoint floundered there last year. He did have a nice goal the other night. I'm just not sold on the guy. Thoughts???

Old
12-02-2003, 07:47 AM
neelynugs

i like green- i could do without the enormous amount of stupid penalties, but he brings some good qualities to the ice. he's gritty, very good on the draw, and still has some skill. the thing i really like about him is that he shows up in the playoffs, when it counts. i think we'll see his true value come april, but for now, he'll be underappreciated by most.

Old
12-02-2003, 07:48 AM
Bruwinz37

Proven playoff vet, plays a chippy brand of hockey, wins over 50% of his draws.

I say he is a good guy to have around come playoffs.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:07 AM
TheBigBadB

I like him..if only he was regulated to the fourth line..He is a PERFECT fourth line center..decent defensively..can take the important faceoff if needed..but he was no really offensive talent, he cant control the puck well, ane he doesnt have good offensive instincts..He is basically Grosek that can skate faster...on the top three lines..I dont like him..put him on the fourth line and he is exactly who you want there...

Old
12-02-2003, 08:08 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceyalone
I hate him (moreso than Lapointe) and I hate the stupid look on his face he always has. Plus I hate the fact that he's using his relationship with the coach to get his ice time.
Kinda curious, buthow do u know the last part of that statment?

And i dont like his helmet, it seems huge for his head, and he seems to take alot of penalties.

But like his face off wins and most of his play.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:12 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
in Phoenix, Green was a teamate and sometimes linemate of Bruins coach Mike Sullivan.

I'm assuming that perhaps that's what Acey is talking about.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
12-02-2003, 08:18 AM
prdbsfan

I don't know he kinda reminds me of Benoit Houge. Would you guys rather have Zam on the third?

Old
12-02-2003, 09:32 AM
SToMper!

Quote:
It's a known fact that the former team/line mates are good friends. It's obvious that Sullivan is looking out for his friend by giving him a place on the 3rd line instead of the 4th line where Green belongs.
I don't know....that's sort of generalizing. I think he belongs on the third line with Axxy & Rollie. I tend to believe we'll see the value of Green as the playoff run comes down. But Acey.....you're 100% right about that look on his face.....kinda the Eddie Haskell type!

Old
12-02-2003, 09:43 AM
BruinFan42

Green's specialties are the kinds of things that are magnified in the playoffs: Winning key faceoffs, playing solid, gritty in your face hockey, and scoring the clutch, ugly goals...

He was the guy that scored the game winner in double OT against the Flyers in game 6 last season, and he also scored in game 4 of the playoffs, his first game back in over 3 weeks because of broken ribs (courtesy of Berard in late March)

Old
12-02-2003, 11:16 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
It's a known fact that the former team/line mates are good friends. It's obvious that Sullivan is looking out for his friend by giving him a place on the 3rd line instead of the 4th line where Green belongs.
Cant say that i agree.

I really dont see it as obvious at all, wether he belongs on the third or fourth line is open, but to just state that its because he's freinds with Sully, sorry, just cant buy into that one with out some proof.

Old
12-02-2003, 11:17 AM
usmhuskies

Send a message via AIM to usmhuskies Send a message via Yahoo to usmhuskies
Thorw Green on the 4th line...That is where he belongs and has the most production...

Old
12-02-2003, 11:21 AM
BlacknGold Barbarino

Green has had 3 seasons where he scored over 20 goals and 4 seasons of 40 or more points. I'd hardly say he is only 4th line material. Certainly, it's a role he's perfectly suited for, but give Green a bit of credit. He's no slouch in the talent department.

Old
12-02-2003, 11:09 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFan42
Green's specialties are the kinds of things that are magnified in the playoffs: Winning key faceoffs, playing solid, gritty in your face hockey, and scoring the clutch, ugly goals...

He was the guy that scored the game winner in double OT against the Flyers in game 6 last season, and he also scored in game 4 of the playoffs, his first game back in over 3 weeks because of broken ribs (courtesy of Berard in late March)
I don't advocate trading Green, just playing him on the fourth line. Plus he'll be available to handle faceoffs or other special situations and when the playoffs come around and he puts on his Claude Lemieux game face, Green can get whatever ice time he earns...

Old
12-03-2003, 06:22 AM
Jeff from Maine

Relevance of His 40 Point Seasons

I recognize that he has had a few 40 point seasons..

But considering the fact that he has only had ONE of them in the past 5 years makes me question their relevance...

Especially since he will not play with a Palffy type AND he is getting aong in years.

I think mid 20`s is about all we can expect these days.

And with the state of our scoring woes, can we afford that on a 3rd line?

And knowing his tendency to whine, ***** and complain when he doesnt get good ice time....is it worth carrying him as a potential distractive force on the 4th line?

Good points to support keeping him, and just as many that could support dropping him.

Later

Old
12-03-2003, 07:44 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Do you not look out for your buddies?
Ya, i do, but bot when it comes to my lively hood as well.

And what does that question prove? I understand were your coming from and all, and i dont agree. Thats your opinion, and thats it.

Would you promote a friend at work that couldnt do the job, and risk your own in the process?

Old
12-03-2003, 07:48 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
Ya, i do, but bot when it comes to my lively hood as well.

And what does that question prove? I understand were your coming from and all, and i dont agree. Thats your opinion, and thats it.

Would you promote a friend at work that couldnt do the job, and risk your own in the process?
Great point. Aceyalone is just picking a player to hate just to spew his anger. Same act as last year, its just Green instead of Lapointe. His failure to recognize the importance of anything besides goals and assists is what causes this problem.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:11 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
Travis Green was like a gift from God to the Bruins. He has transformed this team's 4th line and I am very happy that we have him instead of PJ Stock. O'Connell deserves full marks for this move.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
Travis Green was like a gift from God to the Bruins. He has transformed this team's 4th line and I am very happy that we have him instead of PJ Stock. O'Connell deserves full marks for this move.
?????????
This would be a good point if Green was being used on the 4th line alone ...and PK. However, he has seen time this season centering the 2nd line, and alot of time on the 3rd.

He is an elite 4th line player.

He is a below-average 3rd-liner

It is a sin he ever saw the 2nd.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:22 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return of the Vin
Green has had 3 seasons where he scored over 20 goals and 4 seasons of 40 or more points... He's no slouch in the talent department.
Wrong.

Past seasons mean nothing to me. What have you done for me lately?

Marty McInnis cracked 20goals, he has talent. Why is he not on this team?
Exactly.

Green from 4 years ago could be on my 3rd line...I'd like to have him.
Green this year can play on my 4th...or not at all..

Old
12-03-2003, 08:24 AM
SToMper!

I still think that at seasons end, we'll be glad he was here.
Cup's half-full today...

Old
12-03-2003, 08:34 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SToMper!
I still think that at seasons end, we'll be glad he was here.
Cup's half-full today...
I agree, I will be more than happy to see him @ seasons end.

On the 4th line.

Killing penalties, taking key face-offs...you know...his role.

Nothing more. Please guys, let's not try to justify his current place in the line-up now based on what may happen in the future.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:38 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
I totally disagree with ALL of the above!
Disagree all you want, everyone knows your deal. You pick a player, bash him at every turn, dont do much of anything else. Same deal, different year, different player.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:46 AM
BlacknGold Barbarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr
Wrong.

Past seasons mean nothing to me. What have you done for me lately?

Marty McInnis cracked 20goals, he has talent. Why is he not on this team?
Exactly.

Green from 4 years ago could be on my 3rd line...I'd like to have him.
Green this year can play on my 4th...or not at all..
The past means something in that Green isn't exactly a no-talent hack like some are making him out to be. Like I said, IDEALLY he plays on the 4th line, but he has other abilities. He wins faceoffs, chips in timely offense, etc.

We're saying the same thing two different ways, Colt. My point was that it's silly to dismiss Green entirely, not that he's some uber-star or something.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
You'll have to learn more about when I'm being serious and when I'm being sarcastic.

Old
12-03-2003, 09:04 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return of the Vin
The past means something in that Green isn't exactly a no-talent hack like some are making him out to be. Like I said, IDEALLY he plays on the 4th line, but he has other abilities. He wins faceoffs, chips in timely offense, etc.

We're saying the same thing two different ways, Colt. My point was that it's silly to dismiss Green entirely, not that he's some uber-star or something.
Fair enough.

Closed Thread