HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Ryan Parent

Old
01-03-2007, 10:55 PM
ringetterox15

vCash: 500
all i have to say is that is ryan is traded, which sounds very likely, it is going to suck, i know he isn't putting up a termendous amount of points, but thats not what all defence do, he is just such an asset to the team he is also such a nice guy...he's gonna be the guy that kids will look up to in 5 or 10 years, saying, i wanna be him...its gonna be a big loss to the stormand to city of guelph...all i have to say is that i hope dave barr keeps him for the remainder of the season

ringetterox15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringetterox15 View Post
all i have to say is that is ryan is traded, which sounds very likely, it is going to suck, i know he isn't putting up a termendous amount of points, but thats not what all defence do, he is just such an asset to the team he is also such a nice guy...he's gonna be the guy that kids will look up to in 5 or 10 years, saying, i wanna be him...its gonna be a big loss to the stormand to city of guelph...all i have to say is that i hope dave barr keeps him for the remainder of the season
Unless Parent can grab a guaranteed offensive dynamo, there's no point in trading him. The Storm have a ton of youth, they just need some more offensively gifted players, I mean at least point-per-game players.

If that deal isn't out there (Beleskey could be that guy), then I hope Ryan finishes his career in Guelph. Anything less than a really good offensive 17 or 18 year old would be a waste and a disappointment to a lot of loyal Storm/Parent fans.

Barr said he would finish his career with the Storm, and I still believe him. Of course rumours will swirl, but we've got 6 more days to find out for sure. I think he stays.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 09:13 AM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Unless Parent can grab a guaranteed offensive dynamo, there's no point in trading him. The Storm have a ton of youth, they just need some more offensively gifted players, I mean at least point-per-game players.

If that deal isn't out there (Beleskey could be that guy), then I hope Ryan finishes his career in Guelph. Anything less than a really good offensive 17 or 18 year old would be a waste and a disappointment to a lot of loyal Storm/Parent fans.

Barr said he would finish his career with the Storm, and I still believe him. Of course rumours will swirl, but we've got 6 more days to find out for sure. I think he stays.

OK I will give you a theory here to base trading Parent on.

As we speak right now London and Kitchener just as examples are looking for players to compliment their current rosters. To get those players most GM's want any deal to include picks the higher the better.

How many picks and players landed in Guelph when Adam Denis, Dan Girardi were dealt, plenty and those picks today are developing into better players.

If anyone deserved to retire in Guelph it was Adam Denis he carried that team for a long time so Ryan Parent is no different.

Keeping a Ryan Parent when your going nowhere is not wise thing to do.

If I was a Storm Fan I would be screaming at Barr to unload him for talent and picks. Watching him shake hands at the end of the season leaving the ice in Guelph will hit home very hard, but when you realize you just left maybe three good players slip away from your team so you could watch Parent retire.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 09:52 AM
stormfan#20#33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
OK I will give you a theory here to base trading Parent on.

As we speak right now London and Kitchener just as examples are looking for players to compliment their current rosters. To get those players most GM's want any deal to include picks the higher the better.

How many picks and players landed in Guelph when Adam Denis, Dan Girardi were dealt, plenty and those picks today are developing into better players.

If anyone deserved to retire in Guelph it was Adam Denis he carried that team for a long time so Ryan Parent is no different.

Keeping a Ryan Parent when your going nowhere is not wise thing to do.

If I was a Storm Fan I would be screaming at Barr to unload him for talent and picks. Watching him shake hands at the end of the season leaving the ice in Guelph will hit home very hard, but when you realize you just left maybe three good players slip away from your team so you could watch Parent retire.
i think your point is well brought up!! Even if guelph got Patrick Kane, Andrew Wilkins from london and two second round 07 08 picks for Ryan that would bring skill to guelph and Points.

stormfan#20#33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormfan#20#33 View Post
i think your point is well brought up!! Even if guelph got Patrick Kane, Andrew Wilkins from london and two second round 07 08 picks for Ryan that would bring skill to guelph and Points.
Hahaha, no ****ing way you get even just Kane from London.

Simon, obviously I'm torn on the subject. My feelings change by the day. What I do know is that Barr said some players deserve to finish their career with one team, Ryan Parent being one of them, Ryan Callahan was another one. It sounded to me like he had discussions with Parent regarding his feelings towards being traded. If the coach/GM and the player are willing to throw away a potential good return in exchange for loyalty in this day and age, then I'll accept it. If he's traded for someone like Belesekey and a pick, then I'll accept that as part of the business.

And those infamous trades with London haven't exactly worked out either. Some of the picks were sent back to London, Biggers and Guy have been traded. All that's left is Pottruff and sometimes I wish he wasn't still there.

Old
01-04-2007, 03:21 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
go to the OHL website... www.ontariohockeyleague.com then go to media notes and it tells you all the transactions, as will www.guelphstorm.com then the rumors will stop when you find out everyone here is lying!!!
the rumors will never stop and the OHL site only posts finalized transactions. The Hughes trade wasnt posted till a week after the rumors started here

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 03:23 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Hahaha, no ****ing way you get even just Kane from London.

Simon, obviously I'm torn on the subject. My feelings change by the day. What I do know is that Barr said some players deserve to finish their career with one team, Ryan Parent being one of them, Ryan Callahan was another one. It sounded to me like he had discussions with Parent regarding his feelings towards being traded. If the coach/GM and the player are willing to throw away a potential good return in exchange for loyalty in this day and age, then I'll accept it. If he's traded for someone like Belesekey and a pick, then I'll accept that as part of the business.

And those infamous trades with London haven't exactly worked out either. Some of the picks were sent back to London, Biggers and Guy have been traded. All that's left is Pottruff and sometimes I wish he wasn't still there.
ya, I dont think anyone in the league could tear Kane apart from London. Atleast anything realistic

Old
01-04-2007, 08:35 PM
ringetterox15

how is it that london picks last and always seems to have the best players?? i don't think they would ever trade a player like kane, gagner, well...anyone, they are so good...chemistry!!

Old
01-04-2007, 09:53 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
how is it that london picks last and always seems to have the best players?? i don't think they would ever trade a player like kane, gagner, well...anyone, they are so good...chemistry!!
It's all about Dale's charming personality and winning fashion sense.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
It has nothing to do with where they pick. They took chances on players that were going to commit to the NCAA and then persuaded them to come to the OHL instead. Large financial sums are often exchanged. A few teams around the league do this - most notably Kitchener.

It sucks if you're a fan of a team that doesn't do it, but there's a reason Kitchener and London are constantly the class of the OHL. Big risk can equal big reward.

Old
01-05-2007, 09:36 PM
rangerfan

Tonight when i was at the ranger game, talk was going around about Parent to Kitchener. Someone heard that it is goign to be a draft pick in the near future and currently injured player Jusitn Azevedo. He has been out of the line up for a while, but when he is at 100% he creates oppurtunities...he still has a couple years to play in the OHL. i would like this traed. Parent is a magician at the blue line

rangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 09:39 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan View Post
Tonight when i was at the ranger game, talk was going around about Parent to Kitchener. Someone heard that it is goign to be a draft pick in the near future and currently injured player Jusitn Azevedo. He has been out of the line up for a while, but when he is at 100% he creates oppurtunities...he still has a couple years to play in the OHL. i would like this traed. Parent is a magician at the blue line
Honestly I cant see Guelph doing this.

Old
01-05-2007, 09:50 PM
stormfan#20#33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan View Post

You rangers must be on drugs Guelph and kitchener have never traded!!!

stormfan#20#33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormfan#20#33 View Post
You rangers must be on drugs Guelph and kitchener have never traded!!!
I'm pretty sure there's been at least one deal in their history.

While I would hate to acquire yet another midget forward, Azevedo is pretty good. With a second round pick, it wouldn't be a bad deal - as long as Parent doesn't return next year.

Old
01-05-2007, 11:04 PM
leafmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
ya, I dont think anyone in the league could tear Kane apart from London. Atleast anything realistic
Geez why not and for that matter Gagner too as they were only fourth and fifth round picks in the OHL DRAFT

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 11:07 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there's been at least one deal in their history.

While I would hate to acquire yet another midget forward, Azevedo is pretty good. With a second round pick, it wouldn't be a bad deal - as long as Parent doesn't return next year.
It's been a long time since the two teams traded, but it has happened. I like Azavedo a lot, and I have a feeling he'd be one of those guys that bites Kitchener back next year, but the deal would be worth it this year.

Old
01-05-2007, 11:08 PM
leafmon

Quote:
It has nothing to do with where they pick. They took chances on players that were going to commit to the NCAA and then persuaded them to come to the OHL instead. Large financial sums are often exchanged. A few teams around the league do this - most notably Kitchener.

It sucks if you're a fan of a team that doesn't do it, but there's a reason Kitchener and London are constantly the class of the OHL. Big risk can equal big reward.
Took chances................do you really believe that

I would more call it border line cheating

Old
01-05-2007, 11:13 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post

Yes, it is a chance. Some they win, some they lose. I'm sure there are some players that they are confident they can convince to choose OHL over the NCAA, but there are no guarantees.

For example, Auffrey was drafted by Kitchener, and it took three years and some good fortune to get him to report.

Old
01-05-2007, 11:20 PM
leafmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Yes, it is a chance. Some they win, some they lose. I'm sure there are some players that they are confident they can convince to choose OHL over the NCAA, but there are no guarantees.

For example, Auffrey was drafted by Kitchener, and it took three years and some good fortune to get him to report.
They used fourth and fifth round picks and one guy has his daddy there doesn't he.

How many fourth and fifth rounders stick witha OHL each year.....come on

Old
01-05-2007, 11:58 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
They used fourth and fifth round picks and one guy has his daddy there doesn't he.

How many fourth and fifth rounders stick witha OHL each year.....come on
Oh Lord... you're going to make me defend London. Don't make me do it again.

There was nothing stopping any other team from drafting either Gagner or Kane. Would they have reported? Possibly or probably not, but any other team in the league could have taken a chance on them or at least drafted them so that London couldn't. No other team did and London drafted them (likely with the knowledge that they had a good chance of getting them to report).

There are a number of 4th and 5th rounders around the league -- that part isn't a surprise at all.

Old
01-06-2007, 12:04 AM
FearTheFlyers

Every team tries it.

Some are just more successful.

Even small market Owen Sound has had success like Bobby Sanguinetti(4th round)

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 02:04 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:

If there's no rule against it, it's not cheating.

Yes, it is taking chances. It's wasting a draft pick on a "maybe".

Hey, I'm a Storm fan, and I accept what London and Kitchener do (others do it, but these two are at the forefront).

The Storm did it this year, to a lesser degree. Their back-up goalie was going NCAA but they convinced him to come for a small sum of money and a number of guaranteed starts. I can't say it's worked out because he allows 5 goals a game, but any team is capable of doing it.

If you don't look at it objectively, of course it'll piss you off. Your team loses out on good or great players because another team has more money to throw at them or because they make a promise to one or two teams and tell every other one they're not going to play in the OHL. The kids might be young, but it's still a business. Teams do what they have to do.

(I hope JrHockeyFan reads what I'm about to say)

I applaud the Hunters for how they've re-stocked their team this year. It's pretty remarkable the job they've done - going outside the league and finding a group of players willing to play for a first-class organization. Those players know that they are one step closer to the NHL with the London Knights than whatever NCAA program they ended up in. Everybody wins (except for the team that plays London of course).

Old
01-06-2007, 01:09 PM
ringetterox15

parent to kitchener...i really doubt it...you never know but i heard big talk on the news for possible trade of downie to kitchener...guess we'll wait and see what this week brings

Old
01-06-2007, 02:05 PM
leafmon

Quote:
If there's no rule against it, it's not cheating.

Yes, it is taking chances. It's wasting a draft pick on a "maybe".

Hey, I'm a Storm fan, and I accept what London and Kitchener do (others do it, but these two are at the forefront).

The Storm did it this year, to a lesser degree. Their back-up goalie was going NCAA but they convinced him to come for a small sum of money and a number of guaranteed starts. I can't say it's worked out because he allows 5 goals a game, but any team is capable of doing it.

If you don't look at it objectively, of course it'll piss you off. Your team loses out on good or great players because another team has more money to throw at them or because they make a promise to one or two teams and tell every other one they're not going to play in the OHL. The kids might be young, but it's still a business. Teams do what they have to do.

(I hope JrHockeyFan reads what I'm about to say)

I applaud the Hunters for how they've re-stocked their team this year. It's pretty remarkable the job they've done - going outside the league and finding a group of players willing to play for a first-class organization. Those players know that they are one step closer to the NHL with the London Knights than whatever NCAA program they ended up in. Everybody wins (except for the team that plays London of course).
Look I know this stuff goes on and every team has been guilty of it at one time or another but just because it has reached a level of acceptance does not mean it is not cheating.
Read what you have written.....especially the part of making promises while having no intention to keep them. That defines cheating. If you accept it as part of the business as you say you do thats fine and your right and choice.........but it is cheating.

I don't condem the Hunters for becoming better then most lately in this practice. I blame the OHL and they do so at their own peril.
Eventually fans in OHL centers that play by the rules may realize the home team doesn't have a chance to win it all. Once you realize that why bother buying season tickets.

Old
01-06-2007, 02:07 PM
leafmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Oh Lord... you're going to make me defend London. Don't make me do it again.

There was nothing stopping any other team from drafting either Gagner or Kane. Would they have reported? Possibly or probably not, but any other team in the league could have taken a chance on them or at least drafted them so that London couldn't. No other team did and London drafted them (likely with the knowledge that they had a good chance of getting them to report).

There are a number of 4th and 5th rounders around the league -- that part isn't a surprise at all.