HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Ryan Parent

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2007, 02:34 PM
  #51
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
Look I know this stuff goes on and every team has been guilty of it at one time or another but just because it has reached a level of acceptance does not mean it is not cheating.
Read what you have written.....especially the part of making promises while having no intention to keep them. That defines cheating. If you accept it as part of the business as you say you do thats fine and your right and choice.........but it is cheating.

I don't condem the Hunters for becoming better then most lately in this practice. I blame the OHL and they do so at their own peril.
Eventually fans in OHL centers that play by the rules may realize the home team doesn't have a chance to win it all. Once you realize that why bother buying season tickets.
I don't think it defines cheating. Cheating is blatantly disregarding the rules to gain an advantage. Show me the rules where it says a player can't say he wants to play NCAA until a high-profile team woos him.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 04:20 PM
  #52
leafmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I don't think it defines cheating. Cheating is blatantly disregarding the rules to gain an advantage. Show me the rules where it says a player can't say he wants to play NCAA until a high-profile team woos him.
Then such player has mommy or daddy write to all OHL teams telling them not to waste the draft pick because they are going the play NCAA.
Then the wooing OHL TEAM drafts the wooed player 125 overall instead of in the top five where they would have gone.

If that is not cheating then I don't what is!!!

The whole deception circumvents the DRAFT system which is supposed to create a level playing field for all teams......even though each team is a business this process is put in place for the overall business health of all.

Hey maybe we can go back to the fifties when NHL teams were signing kids into their system in their teens.
Then OHL could be farm systems for the NHL teams

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 04:39 PM
  #53
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
If that is not cheating then I don't what is!!!
Again, cheating is blatantly disregarding the rules in order to gain an advantage. How are these teams fulfilling that definition? Until the OHL clearly makes it against the rules, it is NOT cheating.

The only thing in question, in my opinion, is the ethics.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 07:37 PM
  #54
stormfan#20#33
 
stormfan#20#33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
for ryan to be traded they will give him his jersey and all that tommorow, which means he will be leaving, if they save it for friday then hes staying.

stormfan#20#33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 08:03 PM
  #55
toomanymen
Registered User
 
toomanymen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
If there's no rule against it, it's not cheating.

Yes, it is taking chances. It's wasting a draft pick on a "maybe".

Hey, I'm a Storm fan, and I accept what London and Kitchener do (others do it, but these two are at the forefront).

The Storm did it this year, to a lesser degree. Their back-up goalie was going NCAA but they convinced him to come for a small sum of money and a number of guaranteed starts. I can't say it's worked out because he allows 5 goals a game, but any team is capable of doing it.

If you don't look at it objectively, of course it'll piss you off. Your team loses out on good or great players because another team has more money to throw at them or because they make a promise to one or two teams and tell every other one they're not going to play in the OHL. The kids might be young, but it's still a business. Teams do what they have to do.

(I hope JrHockeyFan reads what I'm about to say)

I applaud the Hunters for how they've re-stocked their team this year. It's pretty remarkable the job they've done - going outside the league and finding a group of players willing to play for a first-class organization. Those players know that they are one step closer to the NHL with the London Knights than whatever NCAA program they ended up in. Everybody wins (except for the team that plays London of course).

Ok, I follow the OHl, but can you explain (and I mean this in all honesty) the "large sums of money" comments etc. ? What happens to get these kids to report to different teams. Thanks in advance.

toomanymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 08:06 PM
  #56
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormfan#20#33 View Post
for ryan to be traded they will give him his jersey and all that tommorow, which means he will be leaving, if they save it for friday then hes staying.
That makes no sense. They have to wait for a Friday game to honour a player's accomplishment?

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 09:33 AM
  #57
charms
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
i don't know where they got the information, but wikipedia says that he was traded to the barrie colts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Parent

charms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 09:33 AM
  #58
leafmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Again, cheating is blatantly disregarding the rules in order to gain an advantage. How are these teams fulfilling that definition? Until the OHL clearly makes it against the rules, it is NOT cheating.

The only thing in question, in my opinion, is the ethics.
Storm we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

As far as Ryan goes I would trade him right now to make the team stronger next year. Preferably out of the division too. Remember it is a business.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 11:48 AM
  #59
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charms View Post
i don't know where they got the information, but wikipedia says that he was traded to the barrie colts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Parent
1) Wikipedia is not a source for trades because anyone can edit it and **** around with you.

2) It does not say he was traded to Barrie.

3) Did you read the last paragraph? Clearly some nut thinks they're funny.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 12:10 PM
  #60
charms
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
well, the barrie colts thing was up for a while before the last paragraph of bs was up.. and why would someone **** around with that.. were they thinking: "like omg, wouldn't it be SO cool if i put added a bogus trade to Ryan Parent's page on Wikipedia? OMG, LOLOLOL"

not that i'm saying that wikipedia is a legit source, i'm just questioning why someone would go through the trouble to put it there

charms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 01:01 PM
  #61
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charms View Post
well, the barrie colts thing was up for a while before the last paragraph of bs was up.. and why would someone **** around with that.. were they thinking: "like omg, wouldn't it be SO cool if i put added a bogus trade to Ryan Parent's page on Wikipedia? OMG, LOLOLOL"

not that i'm saying that wikipedia is a legit source, i'm just questioning why someone would go through the trouble to put it there
Why would someone go through the trouble of adding that last paragraph? It's there, so obviously someone thought it was worthwhile. You're grasping at straws, he hasn't been traded to Barrie.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 02:08 PM
  #62
charms
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
grasping at straws? i'm not trying to prove that he has been traded

the topic of this thread is the rumour that ryan parent has been traded.. obviously somebody thought that he had been traded to the colts, just as the o.p. obviously thought he had been traded to belleville

charms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 02:47 PM
  #63
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charms View Post
grasping at straws? i'm not trying to prove that he has been traded

the topic of this thread is the rumour that ryan parent has been traded.. obviously somebody thought that he had been traded to the colts, just as the o.p. obviously thought he had been traded to belleville
Sorry, you sounded like a Colts fan desperate for it to be true, trying to convince me the only reason someone would enter it in Wikipedia is if it was true.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 04:44 PM
  #64
Barriecoltsfan1
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Let me tell you what is really going on.ryan parent was traded to the barrie colts but the deal fell threw therefore the colts got mike weber.ryan is now officially of the trade market according to players and coaches.

Barriecoltsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 05:30 PM
  #65
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barriecoltsfan1 View Post
Let me tell you what is really going on.ryan parent was traded to the barrie colts but the deal fell threw therefore the colts got mike weber.ryan is now officially of the trade market according to players and coaches.
So he wasn't traded at all. You can't be traded and then have it fall through. Allegedly, he was almost traded. That's no reason for someone to go update a public site with false information. Nothing is for sure until it appears on one or more official sites or a press release is sent out.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 03:06 PM
  #66
ringetterox15
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
how long is there left until the deadline??...i really really hope he stays

ringetterox15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 04:07 PM
  #67
Default101
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
Overagers have untill this Wednesday at Noon, All other players till 6pm on Wednesday

here's the quote from wikipedia

"(Ryan Parent) Is in rumours with many teams at the trade deadline like Belleville, Barrie, and Kitchener."

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 05:00 PM
  #68
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
I doubt he's moving. The potential trade partner will have to offer the moon to pry him from Dave Barr's hands (who re-iterated he's not looking to trade him recently).

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 05:39 PM
  #69
SimonTemplar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London ON.
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I doubt he's moving. The potential trade partner will have to offer the moon to pry him from Dave Barr's hands (who re-iterated he's not looking to trade him recently).

So if Belleville or a team like them offered a former 1st rnd prosepct plus,plus he is not for trade.

That's just crazy man, no one is beyond the most important thing and that's the health of a franchise. You need to do whats important for a re-building team so he is not above a Steve Downie.

If I was a Storm Fan it would be ideal to see him traded to a good team for Ryan, then for the club to gain talent quickly.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 05:41 PM
  #70
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
So if Belleville or a team like them offered a former 1st rnd prosepct plus,plus he is not for trade.

That's just crazy man, no one is beyond the most important thing and that's the health of a franchise. You need to do whats important for a re-building team so he is not above a Steve Downie.

If I was a Storm Fan it would be ideal to see him traded to a good team for Ryan, then for the club to gain talent quickly.
The Storm already have a ton of young players.

And I'm not the crazy one, I'm just telling you what Barr has said multiple times now. He said he'd have to be really blown away by an offer, but Parent is not an active name in the trade market as far as he's concerned (meaning he's not on the block).

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 06:16 PM
  #71
stormfan#20#33
 
stormfan#20#33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Barr said " It's like having a house that's not for sale. Then someone knocks on your door and makes you an offer for it," Barr said Sunday. "He's not on the market, but if someone wants to make me a huge offer, I'll listen" so that means unless theres a good offer for him hes staying in guelph!!!

stormfan#20#33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 06:27 PM
  #72
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormfan#20#33 View Post
Barr said " It's like having a house that's not for sale. Then someone knocks on your door and makes you an offer for it," Barr said Sunday. "He's not on the market, but if someone wants to make me a huge offer, I'll listen" so that means unless theres a good offer for him hes staying in guelph!!!
Thanks, I didn't feel like looking it up.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 07:32 PM
  #73
Paul Fendley
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Hello all,

Some of you will know me as "stormfan" on a couple of boards.
For some reason I was not allowed to use this name while trying to register with this board. On this board I have created the username "Paul Fendley" as a tribute to the young man killed during a game I was at back in 1972.

To prove to some that I am who I say I am ... Charlie Girl will immediately recognise the name Jim Kurlicki when I mention it. Yes? And a certain "greenshirt" photo of the very same Kurkicki.

To carry on with the Ryan Parent for sale stuff ... Kitchener and Guelph have never made a deal with each other. The Rangers have picked up a couple of Storm cast-offs via the waiver wire but the two teams have never compleated a trade.

If they have I would need to know the names of those involved.

I seriously doubt that Parent is going anywhere but I wouldn't say the same about Tyler Doig as his name is mentioned in possible trade scenarios.

However, it has been said that some team may feel a real need to keep up with the pack and make a panic deal that is too good to turn down. I doubt it though. Time will tell.

Peace.

Paul Fendley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 08:35 PM
  #74
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Fendley View Post
Hello all,

Some of you will know me as "stormfan" on a couple of boards.
Welcome to HF my friend. This board can only benefit from your historical knowledge and calm demeanor. Hope you visit often! You'll know quite a few people here (Storm is Trippy, Alison is Pocketjacks) plus a bunch of us that aren't creative enough to come up with different names for different boards!

And the Jim Krulicki pic was great.. but it had nothing on Walt!

Are you by chance heading to Kitchener tomorrow night?


Last edited by CharlieGirl: 01-08-2007 at 08:44 PM.
CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 08:56 PM
  #75
Paul Fendley
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Are you by chance heading to Kitchener tomorrow night?
I'd love to but I have that medical thing that would keep me up way past my bed time.

Paul Fendley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.