HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price for centres too high?

Old
01-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Moester

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
I think what the origanal poster was implying was actually a very good point. The Habs need a 2nd line center. Someone who can score, play well with Kovy and Sammy and play decent defense while doing it. Obviously this is going to be very hard to get at the deadline, and right now I am not confident enough in this team to morgage the future for a playoff run. If the right deal comes along, by all means, pull the trigger, but don't do a deal that'll haunt you in the upcoming years.

What the Habs have alot of are 3rd and 4th line centers. Begin, Bonk, Lappy, Murray, Johnson (in a pinch), Chipper and Pleks are all centers that are 3rd or 4th line material. If a team is willing to pay alot for one of these guys, then let them go because we have the depth to replace them . None of these guys can play on the 2nd line so its not losing one of them will make the team that much worse. While Bonk and Johnson are obviously not going to get traded (because loosing them would be disasterous to the team), Pleks, Begin and Murray are all expendable in my opinion. Someone like Pleks or Begin could get a decent return. I havent mentioned Grabs because he has the potential to be a 2nd line center, but IMO isn't ready for the NHL yet.

Before people flame the orginal poster, stop, think about the Canadiens situation and realize that trading on of their 7 potential 3rd or 4th line centers won't hurt the team (and might actually be able to improve it). So in conclusion, I think the Habs should be in BOTH the buyer and seller market for centers because the mixture of centers they have right now is deep on the lower end, but missing a critical position (2nd line center).
That was my point exactly! Sure, we're in the market for a 2nd line centre, but we're also in the position where we could always upgrade on the wing, or D. Centre is both our deepest and weakest position. We've got lots of 3rd and 4th line centres, some with above average potential. We could always make a move to get a better piece; even if that piece isn't a 2nd line centre.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
With 30 teams around the league, there just arent enough bonafide top 6 centermen for everyone. Regardless the price.

Personally I would be surpriced to see Habs (currently 4th in the East) selling Plekanec or Bonk just because they *might* get something else for already useful pieces of the team. Not worth the risk. For the same reason I doubt Detroit is shopping Schneider either.

they're not shippin' but we could be askin'

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote