HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

This team absolutely NEEDS Eric at center ice....

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 03:46 AM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
This team absolutely NEEDS Eric at center ice....

enough with this BS about putting him on the RW and especially on a line of finesse players such as Petr and Jan.At least with Holik's line they were a physically dominate line.

Bottom line is we aren't getting the most out of Eric when he's on the wing as oppossed to center and when he is on the wing it means we're a 3 line team as oppossed to a 4 line one so it really makes no sense over the coarse of the season.

And being that Slats is juggling the lines for tonight why not start trying to put together some lines that make sense at this point.

The Holik line obviously has clicked and will stay intact.

The Nedved line should remain with Petr and Jan and they should get another speedster/skill guy on the right and personally I'd put Lundmark there.

Since Simon apparently is getting moved off Mess' line why not put his big body with Lindros and give Eric somebody to work with on the boards and on the cycle?

And on RW on that line I'd try Carter again.

That leaves Mess with Barnaby and Ortmeyer which is still a very good line for even strenght with 2 high energy guys who take the body and dig pucks for Mess.Mark will still get his PK time(w/Ortmeyer) and will still see PP time on the Holik unit when AK slides up to the point.

These lines present the best balance and give us our best shot at success over the coarse of a long, grueling schedule and getting Eric back to center ice is a no bariner in my book.

Stop making things difficult Slats and do something that makes sense for a change.

Old
12-02-2003, 03:50 AM
True Blue

Not happening. According to today's papers the lunacy shall continue. Lindros stays as a wing on the Nedved & Hlavac line. Carter gets put on the Messier line. And the new 4th line is Simon-Lundmark-Ortmeyer.
All so that Messier does not become a 4th line player.

Old
12-02-2003, 03:58 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Not happening. According to today's papers the lunacy shall continue. Lindros stays as a wing on the Nedved & Hlavac line. Carter gets put on the Messier line. And the new 4th line is Simon-Lundmark-Ortmeyer.
Iknow, I read the papers and that's what prompted me to post about how stupid the lines are for 2night.

Old
12-02-2003, 04:05 AM
33teddy33

Send a message via ICQ to 33teddy33 Send a message via AIM to 33teddy33 Send a message via Yahoo to 33teddy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
this messier thing has to stop. ****. c'mon already.
his line is the 4th. period slats.

Old
12-02-2003, 04:31 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Eric in the middle, Eric on the right, I don't really see a huge difference. What this team really needs is to roll 4 lines and if putting Eric at center forces Sather to do so, then I'm all for it.

Old
12-02-2003, 04:46 AM
Fletch

Honestly TB...

I think Messier's doing a better job as a center than Lundmark and if it were between those two as to who's the third line center and fourth line center, I'd pick Mess as a third. Unfortunately Nedved's line has picked its' game up with Lindros as its right wing (moreso than with Carter out there), and Sather must not see that this team doesn't have the wing depth to roll four lines.

Old
12-02-2003, 04:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Eric in the middle, Eric on the right, I don't really see a huge difference. What this team really needs is to roll 4 lines and if putting Eric at center forces Sather to do so, then I'm all for it.
EVERYBODY SING!:

"Janny to the left of me,
Eric to the right,
here I am! Stuck in the middle with (you) two!"

12-02-2003, 04:57 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Eric has played well this year when healthy and he has played a very involved game that is much more effective when he's a center.

And we need to get him some linemates to work with that make some sense.You can't bury Lindros on the 4th line with Scott and Ortmeyer and play him 14-15 minutes a night if you want him to excel and be one of the teams best forwards.

When you go Lindros-Holik-Nedved-Mess down the middle there is no way you shouldn't utilize this advantage.And I think we have the depth on the wing to make each line work, it's just a matter of Slats having to always make something more difficult then it needs to be so his "genious" can shine through.

And if a center has to get bumped to the wing why not Nedved?What has he done that eric is the one to play out of position?Eric's been significantly better then Petr and one of the advantages of a center is you can go to the net better as you have more freedom of where you can and can't go and one thing Eric has done is gone to the net consistently.

Even make a line of Simon-Lindros-Lundy and give Carter back to Nedved-Jan.

Either way Eric needs competent linemates, needs to get back to center and needs to start getting close to 20 minutes a game IMO.

Old
12-02-2003, 05:22 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Even make a line of Simon-Lindros-Lundy and give Carter back to Nedved-Jan.

Either way Eric needs competent linemates, needs to get back to center and needs to start getting close to 20 minutes a game IMO.
I have no problem with that line. How's it any better than "burying" Lindros with Scott and Jed though? Either one is a fine 4th line in my book.

When Eric earns more ice time, he can have it. He's got a HELL of a lot of work to do before he should be getting more than Holik or Messier though. I don't see the point in allowing ineffective players dominate ice time. If you're playing well, you should be on the ice the most.

Old
12-02-2003, 05:39 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
I have no problem with that line. How's it any better than "burying" Lindros with Scott and Jed though? Either one is a fine 4th line in my book.

When Eric earns more ice time, he can have it. He's got a HELL of a lot of work to do before he should be getting more than Holik or Messier though. I don't see the point in allowing ineffective players dominate ice time. If you're playing well, you should be on the ice the most.
Scott and Jed have no offensive games at all.Simon and Lundy do.BIG difference in guys you're working with on your line.Big difference b/w those 2 "4th" lines IMO.

And Eric needs to do a hell of alot more if he's to get more icetime then Mess???

Eric has been much better then Mess when he's played this year.Yes, the captainhas his 10 goals off of opportunistic scoring but Mess' game is pretty onedimensional at this point.He wins faceoffs and he can setup some plays on the PP as well as bury some of the chances he's gotten.You now this streak with the goalscoring will come to a crashinh halt and he'll go 20 games w/o a goal.

Eric has played a hard, physical game this year and has made things happen.He's going to the net, setting up plays and the only thing he really needs to get going is his shooting.

To me the only forwards who deserve more ice then Eric is Holik and AK.

Old
12-02-2003, 06:20 AM
Davisian

It is still very much my belief that Lindros is best suited as a wing..

I realize Nedved as his center may not be the "best" fit, but I'd give them a few more games together to find a rhythm..

I just don't see a center anymore watching "E", I see a guy who needs less responsibility out there, to think less and let his instincts take over..

Old
12-02-2003, 06:23 AM
NYR469

the ONLY way that the rangers can not have either lindros or nedved on the wing is if messier's line gets 4th line minutes, and you know that isn't going to happen (especially since messier's line has been the 2nd best line most of the year)...

unless you want either lindros or nedved buried on the 4th line getting 9:00/game than putting 1 of them on the wing is the ONLY option...sather isn't going to roll 4 lines and we have too many guys that need more than 15:00/game to be effective so it won't work even if he did

and lindros has played well with nedved & hlavac...in the 2 games they have been together the trio have combined for 4 points (goal & assist each for lindros & hlavac) and the only goal against any of them have been on for is lindros was on for the tucker shg...not sure why exactly you'd be complaining about that

Old
12-02-2003, 07:40 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
And if a center has to get bumped to the wing why not Nedved?
The point is that NONE of the centers should have to be bumped to wing (not counting Lundmark). There is no doubt the this team is at it's strongest when it goes Lindros/Nedved/Holik/Messier down the center, with Messier playing the 4th line. Being strong down the middle is one of the team's biggest strengths and Jackass is not using it. What is wrong with an alignment that looks like this:
Rosie-Holik-Kovalev
Hlavac-Nedved-Carter
Simon-Lindros-Lundmark
Matty-Messier-Ortmeyer/Lacouture/Scott

There is just no need to have either Eric or Petr play out of position.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:07 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

When does Eric become the problem and not his line-mates?

Here we have a very very talented player that has not been able to click with anyone on this team for long stretches aside from the York Fleury combo 3 years ago.

He's had Bure, Alexi, Petr, Bobby, Jan, Anson on his wing or as his center and aside from initial and very brief flashes of what should be we get dick.

Maybe it's time we stop blaming Sather for "mis-using" Eric and start pointing to Eric as the source of the problem.

Yes he has played a very very involved game, but the points have not been there. As the focal point of this offence (or what should be the focal point of the offence) He needs to start producing on the scoresheet AND be the physical presence he was earlier in the season.

just my opinion.

Old
12-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
anyone wish we kept Dvorak now? Id love to see the czech line in action again..

Old
12-02-2003, 12:35 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21
anyone wish we kept Dvorak now? Id love to see the czech line in action again..
Not me.

Closed Thread