HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

20 year anniversary of the Ridley/Miller trade

Old
01-01-2007, 11:49 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
20 year anniversary of the Ridley/Miller trade

Today is the 20 year anniversary of the Rangers brutal trade of Mike Ridley,Kelly Miller and Bob Crawford for Bobby Carpenter and a 2nd round pick.January 1,1987

One of the worst trades ever made by the Rangers.Right up there with Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge.Ridley played Canadian college hockey at the University of Manitoba.One of the Rangers assistant coaches Reg Higgs coached in the same league against Manitoba.Higgs recommended the Rangers invite Ridley to camp before the 1985-86 season.Not only did Ridley make the team and become one of the Rangers best players,Ridley nearly won the 1985-86 Calder Trophy which went to Gary Suter

Miller joined the Rangers at the end of the 1984-85 season when he finished his career at MSU.He even saw time in the playoffs that season.The Rangers swept by the Flyers 3-0 in a best of five

Ridley and Miller were two reasons why the Rangers had success in the spring of 1986 knocking off the Flyers in 5 and Craps in 6.Ridley was the Rangers leading scorer during the regular season.Miller was a spark plug.They played on the same line with Pepe Larouche who had been banished by Ted Sator to Hershey before the start of that season.The Rangers needed scoring and brought Larouche back who immediately clicked with Ridley and Miller

The next season,Bobby Carpenter wanted out of Washington and the Rangers were interested.It was rumored David Poile wanted Ridley and Miller but no one thought Espo was going to trade Ridley and Miller for Carpenter but he did

Carpenter was here for less than 2 months.The biggest bum to ever be a Ranger.He was terrible.Espo shipped him off and Tommy Laidlaw for 90 year old Marcel Dionne

What a disaster

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Fletch

I actually thouhgt...

Dionne was a bit younger, early 80s I think; it was Lafleur who was 90.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 12:10 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

I can remember thinking at the time of the deal, "I hope this doesn't turn out to be like the Ellis Valentine-for Jeff Reardon deal the Mets pulled off a few years earlier."

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 12:21 PM
shoothepuck

I remember thinking that Espo was drunk, brain dead drunk when he made the deal...

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 12:43 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Today is the 20 year anniversary of the Rangers brutal trade of Mike Ridley,Kelly Miller and Bob Crawford for Bobby Carpenter and a 2nd round pick.January 1,1987

One of the worst trades ever made by the Rangers.Right up there with Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge.Ridley played Canadian college hockey at the University of Manitoba.One of the Rangers assistant coaches Reg Higgs coached in the same league against Manitoba.Higgs recommended the Rangers invite Ridley to camp before the 1985-86 season.Not only did Ridley make the team and become one of the Rangers best players,Ridley nearly won the 1985-86 Calder Trophy which went to Gary Suter

Miller joined the Rangers at the end of the 1984-85 season when he finished his career at MSU.He even saw time in the playoffs that season.The Rangers swept by the Flyers 3-0 in a best of five

Ridley and Miller were two reasons why the Rangers had success in the spring of 1986 knocking off the Flyers in 5 and Craps in 6.Ridley was the Rangers leading scorer during the regular season.Miller was a spark plug.They played on the same line with Pepe Larouche who had been banished by Ted Sator to Hershey before the start of that season.The Rangers needed scoring and brought Larouche back who immediately clicked with Ridley and Miller

The next season,Bobby Carpenter wanted out of Washington and the Rangers were interested.It was rumored David Poile wanted Ridley and Miller but no one thought Espo was going to trade Ridley and Miller for Carpenter but he did

Carpenter was here for less than 2 months.The biggest bum to ever be a Ranger.He was terrible.Espo shipped him off and Tommy Laidlaw for 90 year old Marcel Dionne

What a disaster
jeeze I didn't know about this deal

just looked up the players and wow this was indeed brutal

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000481987.html

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 12:48 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Dionne was a bit younger, early 80s I think; it was Lafleur who was 90.
i didn't even know dionne and lafleur played for the rangers

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=2902

don't tell me lafleur was actually retired for three seasons and the rangers still signed him.. why did he not play for 3 years prior?

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Fletch

Yup...

the Flower came out of retirement to play for the Rangers. See, it's not just Smith who was enamored with former NHL stars.

Old
01-01-2007, 03:05 PM
bubba5

i remember this trade, I remember thinking this could be great or this could blo up, and then to make matter worse we trade for Dionne later. Ridley and Miller are the type of guys we need today!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 06:51 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post

don't tell me lafleur was actually retired for three seasons and the rangers still signed him.. why did he not play for 3 years prior?
Lafleur actually played pretty well for the Rangers. I think he was in NY for a couple of seasons then finished his career with the Nordique if I remember correctly. He was a rare example of a guy retiring in his prime who came back and still played some pretty darn good hockey. There was another guy who had to retire due to injuries and came back to play some pretty darn impressive hockey. I think he retired last season for good -- this time due to old age. Can't remember his name anymore.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Geogaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
Lafleur actually played pretty well for the Rangers. I think he was in NY for a couple of seasons then finished his career with the Nordique if I remember correctly. He was a rare example of a guy retiring in his prime who came back and still played some pretty darn good hockey. There was another guy who had to retire due to injuries and came back to play some pretty darn impressive hockey. I think he retired last season for good -- this time due to old age. Can't remember his name anymore.
Super Mario?

Not sure whom else you'd be talking about.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
I remember this trade like it was today. I woke up and read this and went nuts, This was a total disaster. One other trade took place on New Years day

To the Whalers Don Maloney

to the Rangers Carey Wilson

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 07:44 PM
eco's bones

Espo was star struck. Carpenter was still young and had already hit for 50 goals in a season. It was still a brutal trade. Ridley and Miller were both hard working and very responsible players--turning Carpenter and Laidlaw into Dionne who was practically at the end of a brilliant career just made it worse. The Middleton for Hodge trade though is the worst of all. Terrible. One other trade that has always killed me was Norstrom, Laperriere etc. to the Kings for Jari Kurri (like with Dionne at the tail end of his career), McSorley and Churla.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Fletch

Norstrom was the worst...

because it was the tip of the iceberg that sent this team into a 7 year tailspin just a couple years later, when Mess couldn't carry them on his shoulders. It's funny how Norstom and Laperriere demonstrated the qualities of exactly what those 7 teams were missing.

Old
01-02-2007, 06:17 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
I remember this trade like it was today. I woke up and read this and went nuts, This was a total disaster. One other trade took place on New Years day

To the Whalers Don Maloney

to the Rangers Carey Wilson
That trade took place the day after Christmas-December 26,1988.The Rangers played an afternoon game that day at the Garden against the Devils.Wilson was in the line-up that day.Maloney was in the line-up for Hartford later that night

Wilson played well for the Rangers when they first got him

Old
01-02-2007, 06:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post

Surprisingly Lafleur wasn't that bad.He had a few moments at the Garden.All of the fans would chant "GUY"!!!! whenever he touched the puck

Dionne was terrible.Nice guy

Old
01-02-2007, 06:41 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
the Flower came out of retirement to play for the Rangers. See, it's not just Smith who was enamored with former NHL stars.
The Rangers have always loved the big name players.They even gave Bobby Hull a try out

Old
01-02-2007, 07:20 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
because it was the tip of the iceberg that sent this team into a 7 year tailspin just a couple years later, when Mess couldn't carry them on his shoulders. It's funny how Norstom and Laperriere demonstrated the qualities of exactly what those 7 teams were missing.

The Norstrom deal was terrible but Middleton was something like 22 and went on to become Boston's best player after Bourque and to me Rick is a legit HOF candidate--one of the best players of his era. Hodge had one subpar year for us and then finished his career in the minors. That was absolutely horrible watching Middleton for about the next 15 years in our own conference killing us year after year. Norstrom would have been a solid anchor on our D however the way we used Laperriere--the best thing for him was to go somewhere else.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Edge

Yeah this Rangers 101 for some of the younger fans.

This organization being run like a circus extends far beyond just Smith and Sather.

That's a key reason we've got 1 cup in 66 some odd years.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:30 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Yeah this Rangers 101 for some of the younger fans.

This organization being run like a circus extends far beyond just Smith and Sather.

That's a key reason we've got 1 cup in 66 some odd years.
Between Ferguson and his horrible uniforms and trader Phil, the 70's-80's were quite the indoctrination to Rangers hockey. It seemed like Esposito made a trade just about every week.

Old
01-02-2007, 11:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Craig Patrick was very conservative in comparison to the Rangers other GM's.The New York Post writers nicknamed him "Craig Vague".He didn't make many blockbuster trades.His best draft pick was Brian Leetch in 1986 even though the selection was panned by many Rangers fans because they wanted a scoring center or a forward with size over another smallish offensive defenseman/player.Patrick came close to trading that selection-9th overall plus other assets to LA for the #2 pick-Jimmy Carson who scored 92 goals in his first two seasons in the NHL and then fell off the map when he was traded to Edmonton in the Wayne Gretzky deal

Old
01-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Edge

Ah yes Trader Phil and if you listen to him he'll have you believe they he could have BOTH Messier and Gretzky had the upper management given him the green light.

I was born in 78 so my introduction to Rangers hockey was the wonder that was the 1980's. From The Smurfs to the 1988 first round pick disaster (makes 2002 or 2003 look like a celebration) I remember them all.

Old
01-02-2007, 11:50 AM
FACEMAN

Yeh unfortunately i'm old enough that this trade still drives me nuts. Miller and Ridley KILLED the NYR everytime they played each other for years, until John Druce took over that role.

As for trader phil, he occasionally claims on his xm show that "he's never made a bad trade in his career". I've attempted to call in and set him straight but never get through.

FACEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:56 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Ah yes Trader Phil and if you listen to him he'll have you believe they he could have BOTH Messier and Gretzky had the upper management given him the green light.

I was born in 78 so my introduction to Rangers hockey was the wonder that was the 1980's. From The Smurfs to the 1988 first round pick disaster (makes 2002 or 2003 look like a celebration) I remember them all.
You mean trading a top five pick for the rights to Michel Bergeron, (a coach Espo himself replaced during the playoffs), and missing the opportunity to draft Jeremy Roenick? Gee why would that bother you? Neil Smith was a breath of fresh air after that debacle.

Old
01-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Edge

Quote:
Craig Patrick was very conservative in comparison to the Rangers other GM's.The New York Post writers nicknamed him "Craig Vague".He didn't make many blockbuster trades.His best draft pick was Brian Leetch in 1986 even though the selection was panned by many Rangers fans because they wanted a scoring center or a forward with size over another smallish offensive defenseman/player.Patrick came close to trading that selection-9th overall plus other assets to LA for the #2 pick-Jimmy Carson who scored 92 goals in his first two seasons in the NHL and then fell off the map when he was traded to Edmonton in the Wayne Gretzky deal
Another interesting tidbit, the general feeling was that if Leetch was too small to play defense he could be converted into a center because of his vision and playmaking ability.

The Rangers were in love with Joe Murphy that year but Detroit wasn't budging from taking him. So they set their sights on Carter who was essentially done after two great seasons. A bad back helped it along, but it was weird seeing a guy fall so far so fast. By 93-94 (when he should've been entering his peak years) he was on his way out.

The 80's were weird like though because scoring was so high. You could have a guy score 40 or 50 goals and then be a distant memory in 3 years.

Old
01-02-2007, 12:01 PM
GuloGulo

Quote:
Unfortunately, he (Carson) stuck on the map long enough to make this happen:

Traded to Detroit by Edmonton with Kevin McClelland and Edmonton's 5th round choice (later traded to Montreal - Montreal selected Brad Layzell) in 1991 Entry Draft for Petr Klima, Joe Murphy, Adam Graves and Jeff Sharples, November 2, 1989.

The only good thing out Carson was that he was a piece in the later trade for Coffey.

Carson, the kryptonite of trades.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote