HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Wheres Immonen???

Old
01-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Oh but SoS...isn't he 24? If he has such special abilities and can contribute so much...why hasn't he played a full season yet? SoS...a good hockey player isn't in the minors at the age of 24...and come up for half the season
I've had my reservations about Immonen all along but he deserves a longer look..This is still just his second year in North America (btw if you are going to ask these questions at least try to figure them out for yourself first) and that should explain to you why he hasn't had a full season yet..

I don't think he is a player but I'd like to see him prove me wrong. I'll say this about him..Right now he is BY FAR the best faceoff guy on the roster...BY FAR...With puck possesion being a problem on this team....With scoring from "other areas" being a problem on this team Immonen could be a nice support guy..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 10:31 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I've had my reservations about Immonen all along but he deserves a longer look..This is still just his second year in North America (btw if you are going to ask these questions at least try to figure them out for yourself first) and that should explain to you why he hasn't had a full season yet..

I don't think he is a player but I'd like to see him prove me wrong. I'll say this about him..Right now he is BY FAR the best faceoff guy on the roster...BY FAR...With puck possesion being a problem on this team....With scoring from "other areas" being a problem on this team Immonen could be a nice support guy..
That's about it...a nice support guy. I knew the answer...the answer is because he is not quite there yet...which for a 24 year old...is not very promising

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
That's about it...a nice support guy. I knew the answer...the answer is because he is not quite there yet...which for a 24 year old...is not very promising
being a nice support guy is important...winning faceoffs is important...Immonen can fill a need on this team...

you say "that's about it" as if the qualites Immonen has shown he possess isn't important..

only on hfboards can 24 be considered the age a guy has maxed out his potential..

if only immonen could take a beating and cheap shot other players...than he would be important...

Old
01-01-2007, 10:56 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
being a nice support guy is important...winning faceoffs is important...Immonen can fill a need on this team...

you say "that's about it" as if the qualites Immonen has shown he possess isn't important..

only on hfboards can 24 be considered the age a guy has maxed out his potential..

if only immonen could take a beating and cheap shot other players...than he would be important...
Listen...you seriously need to stop using those examples. Take a beating? Rare. Cheap shot others? One time. You're making him sound like a cheap, dirty player..and he is nothing close to that. One gesture which ticked you off does not make him cheap or dirty.

Only on HFboards can an enforcer...and a guy who goes out there taking punches and dishing them out and doing his best for sticking up for teammates...only here can that not be appreciated. Heck...only on this Rangers board

Old
01-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Listen...you seriously need to stop using those examples. Take a beating? Rare. Cheap shot others? One time. You're making him sound like a cheap, dirty player..and he is nothing close to that. One gesture which ticked you off does not make him cheap or dirty.

Only on HFboards can an enforcer...and a guy who goes out there taking punches and dishing them out and doing his best for sticking up for teammates...only here can that not be appreciated. Heck...only on this Rangers board

I'll stop bashing Orr when he wins a fight and scores a goal in the same game..or when he is waived and sent to the UHL..until then..deal with it...

He isn't good enough to be considered cheap and dirty..he is to insignificant to pay this much attention to anyway...

If Orr was any good.....AT anything I'd love him...THE FACT is he isn't good at anything...he blocks other players....more deserving players...players that fill needs in the lineup and on the roster...

Colton Orrs best isn't good enough...and the excuses for his play are worse..

Yup we must not really love our team...I must not really appreciate hockey because I think Orr sucks...Guess i'll go back to sitting around looking at hockey fight tapes hoping I can find a replacement...I hear there is some lerch in the Tampa system that's worth looking at...

back to immonen talk...care to add anything to Immonen?

I guess not...

Old
01-01-2007, 11:07 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
I'll stop bashing Orr when he wins a fight and scores a goal in the same game..or when he is waived and sent to the UHL..until then..deal with it...

He isn't good enough to be considered cheap and dirty..he is to insignificant to pay this much attention to anyway...

If Orr was any good.....AT anything I'd love him...THE FACT is he isn't good at anything...he blocks other players....more deserving players...players that fill needs in the lineup and on the roster...

Colton Orrs best isn't good enough...and the excuses for his play are worse..

Yup we must not really love our team...I must not really appreciate hockey because I think Orr sucks...Guess i'll go back to sitting around looking at hockey fight tapes hoping I can find a replacement...I hear there is some lerch in the Tampa system that's worth looking at...

back to immonen talk...care to add anything to Immonen?

I guess not...

Wait...hockey tapes? I think that's "dagoon"...because I have nothing to do with that whole little thing you 2 got into. Again...he may not be good at it...but he sticks up for guys and does the dirty work. Eric Godard may be even worst...but he played for our rivals...and he broke his nose once and almost twice. Again...these are the type of guys who you need to appreciate...anyone can appreciate a Jagr, a Shanahan, a Lundqvist, etc. Not everyone can appreciate what Orr does...and you certainly cannot...so will keep it at that. However..you've yet to convince me that if Orr was replaced with a Laraque, Simon, Boogard, McGrattan, etc...that you would support them. To me it seems as if you dislike anyone that fights. Then again that may be the result of you disliking the only guy willing to do that on NYR.

Add anything? Sure. You are way too excited about him. You overrate him as well. If he was any good he would have been here a while ago. I think we can find a better support player.

Old
01-01-2007, 11:14 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Wait...hockey tapes? I think that's "dagoon"...because I have nothing to do with that whole little thing you 2 got into. Again...he may not be good at it...but he sticks up for guys and does the dirty work. Eric Godard may be even worst...but he played for our rivals...and he broke his nose once and almost twice. Again...these are the type of guys who you need to appreciate...anyone can appreciate a Jagr, a Shanahan, a Lundqvist, etc. Not everyone can appreciate what Orr does...and you certainly cannot...so will keep it at that. However..you've yet to convince me that if Orr was replaced with a Laraque, Simon, Boogard, McGrattan, etc...that you would support them. To me it seems as if you dislike anyone that fights. Then again that may be the result of you disliking the only guy willing to do that on NYR.

Add anything? Sure. You are way too excited about him. You overrate him as well. If he was any good he would have been here a while ago. I think we can find a better support player.
I'll say it again: I appreciate what Orr tries to do. I love that he's willing to throw punches to protect his teammates. For that, I'm appreciative, certainly. Unfortunately, he's just not a good enforcer. I appreciate his effort but I dread his lack of any discernible skill. I don't hold it against him- it's managements fault for relying on a guy to do a job he simply cannot do.

As far as Jarkko, I think the kid can play. Maybe not as a second line center, but it's possible and I think he deserves the chance. And when I say chance, I mean more than the 20 games he's played. Not accusing anyone in particular, but it irritates me to no end when people say "we've given Immonen a chance he hasn't shown me anything." Well ****, I'm sorry that he's not Gretzky, putting up 150 points as a rook, but give the kid some time. He hasn't produced a whole lot, but unless there is someone in the system that can be better than him right now, he's not hurting us.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 11:20 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'll say it again: I appreciate what Orr tries to do. I love that he's willing to throw punches to protect his teammates. For that, I'm appreciative, certainly. Unfortunately, he's just not a good enforcer. I appreciate his effort but I dread his lack of any discernible skill. I don't hold it against him- it's managements fault for relying on a guy to do a job he simply cannot do.

As far as Jarkko, I think the kid can play. Maybe not as a second line center, but it's possible and I think he deserves the chance. And when I say chance, I mean more than the 20 games he's played. Not accusing anyone in particular, but it irritates me to no end when people say "we've given Immonen a chance he hasn't shown me anything." Well ****, I'm sorry that he's not Gretzky, putting up 150 points as a rook, but give the kid some time. He hasn't produced a whole lot, but unless there is someone in the system that can be better than him right now, he's not hurting us.

You see your last sentence? Now put that into the equation with Orr's job

Old
01-01-2007, 11:38 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
You see your last sentence? Now put that into the equation with Orr's job
The key for me is that I don't think we have anyone better than Immonen, and he's not hurting us. With Orr, I've always been a fan of Franny Lessard and think he'd do a much better job. I also feel like Orr invited some nastiness towards our stars next game with his hit on AO (please don't argue that last part with me, I think we've both said enough on that).

Basically, we have better than Orr, not sure if we have better than Imo.

Old
01-02-2007, 12:09 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
The key for me is that I don't think we have anyone better than Immonen, and he's not hurting us. With Orr, I've always been a fan of Franny Lessard and think he'd do a much better job. I also feel like Orr invited some nastiness towards our stars next game with his hit on AO (please don't argue that last part with me, I think we've both said enough on that).

Basically, we have better than Orr, not sure if we have better than Imo.
I won't argue it although I could...heh. Anyway...I'm just gonna say that if he hadn't done it...he would have been inviting even more towards our stars. But anyway...then lets give Franny a look!

Old
01-02-2007, 12:19 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I won't argue it although I could...heh. Anyway...I'm just gonna say that if he hadn't done it...he would have been inviting even more towards our stars. But anyway...then lets give Franny a look!
I think, for the first time in this season, we may have consensus on this board: looking forward to seeing what my boy Franny has to offer =).

I wish I could have seen him during his 99-00 Philly Phantoms campaign, when he racked up 416PIM in 68 games. That's just absurd, heh. I'm sure though, that he'll sucker punch someone soon and make me look terrible. Ah well, wouldn't be the first time.

Old
01-02-2007, 12:22 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
I think, for the first time in this season, we may have consensus on this board: looking forward to seeing what my boy Franny has to offer =).
Well...he wasn't recalled was he?

Old
01-02-2007, 12:28 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Well...he wasn't recalled was he?
No he wasn't. Ortmeyer was recalled. Oh well.

Old
01-02-2007, 01:25 AM
Captain11

Im all for giving Immonen more time, along with bringing up other deserving candidates...but I feel we already have a player like Immo on the team.

SoS, you say that Immo would improve our scoring and faceoffs and to a point, you are correct. But Immonen hasn't shown any real significant scoring touch. He has made some nice passes, but nothing overwhelming (and i don't mean that in a gretzky way). I agree he is probably our best faceoff man, not that i have seen the FO records, but Betts isn't terrible.
To me, Immonen sounds exactly like Cullen, but without the fantastic speed. Someone who will work hard for you, win faceoffs, but won't put alot of points on the board.

Like I said, I'm all for having rooks up and being given a long look, and I hope he stays up for the rest of the season. I just think, in the end, he'll have a career in the A, or be a 4th liner.

Captain11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 01:34 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain11 View Post
Im all for giving Immonen more time, along with bringing up other deserving candidates...but I feel we already have a player like Immo on the team.

SoS, you say that Immo would improve our scoring and faceoffs and to a point, you are correct. But Immonen hasn't shown any real significant scoring touch. He has made some nice passes, but nothing overwhelming (and i don't mean that in a gretzky way). I agree he is probably our best faceoff man, not that i have seen the FO records, but Betts isn't terrible.
To me, Immonen sounds exactly like Cullen, but without the fantastic speed. Someone who will work hard for you, win faceoffs, but won't put alot of points on the board.

Like I said, I'm all for having rooks up and being given a long look, and I hope he stays up for the rest of the season. I just think, in the end, he'll have a career in the A, or be a 4th liner.
i hope ur wrong cause if that is the case the rangers should have gotten more for leetch.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 01:53 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:

I don't overrate him..I was pissed he was called up but he played rather well when he was given a chance..The Rangers had no business scratching him...

I overrated Immonen....look back at what i've written about him since training camp...I fail to see anything in this thread that i've said about him that "overrates" him..

fiction is nice...

Old
01-02-2007, 01:57 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:

This team NEEDS somebody that is better than average on faceoffs and Immonen could be that guy..He goes to the front of the net and his speed is lacking but his effort is there...

I think your right about his longterm production but right now on THIS TEAM he is worth a longer look. On a team that has seen Adam Hall suck...Hossa play up and down...JWard glass slipper fall off....and Colton Orr skate like he learned yestarday...Immonen deserves a longer look...

Old
01-02-2007, 05:39 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
i hope ur wrong cause if that is the case the rangers should have gotten more for leetch.
They got Korpikoski and Sauer, two potential core players, plus Kondratiev and Immonen, which, if nothing else, were tradable assets. That's a nice haul, if you ask me.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 06:28 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
They got Korpikoski and Sauer, two potential core players, plus Kondratiev and Immonen, which, if nothing else, were tradable assets. That's a nice haul, if you ask me.
Toronto got Leetch for 28 games.15 regular season games and 13 playoff games

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 07:38 AM
oopss

Quote:

i know that immonen would make more points than now if they let him play pp too...he would improve rangers pp ALOT and if they are
only going to let him play about 8-9 minutes per game then trade him imo.

oopss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:26 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
So what did we get out of the Leetch trade? A couple goals from Petr Sykora.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:46 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Immonen

Scratched tonight again

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Yeah, same here.

I don't know what people exactly thought they were going to get.

This team wasn't getting a TOP prospect in return for a 36 year old defenseman before a lockout.

I understand people were sad to see Leetch go, but in terms of a return that's about you're going to get.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 12:01 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Yeah, same here.

I don't know what people exactly thought they were going to get.

This team wasn't getting a TOP prospect in return for a 36 year old defenseman before a lockout.

I understand people were sad to see Leetch go, but in terms of a return that's about you're going to get.
If you get a top four D-man, a possible 2nd line winger, and two tradable assets, one of which allowed you to trade for a 2nd line scoring wing that helped you make the playoffs, all for a D-man who played, (as Ranger Boy pointed out), a mere 28 games - 15 regular season games and 13 playoff games - for the team you traded him to, I think you made out okay. Even if Immonen just ends up going in a deal to help fill one of the needs of this year's team, it gave you depth you didn't have to surrender in terms of better prospects or draft choices.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 12:13 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
I don't overrate him..I was pissed he was called up but he played rather well when he was given a chance..The Rangers had no business scratching him...

I overrated Immonen....look back at what i've written about him since training camp...I fail to see anything in this thread that i've said about him that "overrates" him..

fiction is nice...
You simply wanting him in the lineup and thinking that he can be a useful part of the team is probably overrating him. You can argue that the organization hasn't handled him right....but the bottom line is...you wanna talk about skating...Jarko is not a top 2-3 line center with his skating.