HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quick, all of us realists stop complaining

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2007, 09:37 PM
  #1
GSC
Registered User
 
GSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Basement
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,308
vCash: 500
Quick, all of us realists stop complaining

and act like nothing is wrong with the Oilers...maybe all that positive energy will lead to some wins! I'm clear down in the States but I bet my opinion matters so much to a bunch of NHL millionaires, so I'm gonna do my part to be a good fan. I'm gonna be a REAL Oiler fan and all of you should follow suit!

Forget wins and losses, goals and assists, plus/minus and GAA's. Let's focus on fun and getting pizza and pop afterwards. I bet that's why Pronger left, MacTavish didn't take him and the boys out enough times after the games for some Boston Pizza fun and games...Time to make up for all that lost time.

GSC is offline  
Old
01-01-2007, 09:43 PM
  #2
imkinger
Registered User
 
imkinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWC11 View Post
and act like nothing is wrong with the Oilers...maybe all that positive energy will lead to some wins! I'm clear down in the States but I bet my opinion matters so much to a bunch of NHL millionaires, so I'm gonna do my part to be a good fan. I'm gonna be a REAL Oiler fan and all of you should follow suit!

Forget wins and losses, goals and assists, plus/minus and GAA's. Let's focus on fun and getting pizza and pop afterwards. I bet that's why Pronger left, MacTavish didn't take him and the boys out enough times after the games for some Boston Pizza fun and games...Time to make up for all that lost time.
Good stuff.

imkinger is offline  
Old
01-01-2007, 09:47 PM
  #3
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 52,208
vCash: 500
Many people don't respect others opinions on here un-less they mirror their own. It's o.k. to dis-agree with someone but you don't need to try and talk down to them as if they are in the special-ed class. Many on here are loyal to the coaches, GM, and players almost to a fault I would say. Others would blow up the team every other day, some are in-between. Different strokes for different folks.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
01-01-2007, 09:51 PM
  #4
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,222
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
So..

Ever looked up the definition of a realist?

Because basing everything on a 4 game stretch during an 82 game isn't being a realist.

It's being a sensationalist.

PDO is offline  
Old
01-01-2007, 09:54 PM
  #5
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 15,121
vCash: 500
Just my opinion, but a TRUE realist would stop watching sports as a fan altogether.

I mean, couldn't one's time and financial resources be more efficiently spent elsewhere?

Hell, look at being a realistic Ducks fan, one of the current powerhouses...what would you say is their percentile chance of winning the Stanley Cup this year? 10%?

20%?

Digger12 is offline  
Old
01-01-2007, 09:59 PM
  #6
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik
 
JannikAtTheDisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: a van in vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,770
vCash: 500
GO CANUCKS GO










































Well....It's about time I'd better be hitting the ol' dusty trail...

JannikAtTheDisco is offline  
Old
01-01-2007, 10:12 PM
  #7
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,222
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Just my opinion, but a TRUE realist would stop watching sports as a fan altogether.

I mean, couldn't one's time and financial resources be more efficiently spent elsewhere?

Hell, look at being a realistic Ducks fan, one of the current powerhouses...what would you say is their percentile chance of winning the Stanley Cup this year? 10%?

20%?
Well, let's say they lock up 1st place.

75% for the first round, 70% for the second round, 65% for the third round, 60% for the Stanley Cup.

That'd be 20%, and you'd have to think that those numbers are the absolute highest Anaheim could expect.

PDO is offline  
Old
01-01-2007, 11:20 PM
  #8
shawnmullin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Swift Current
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,172
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
I wonder if the same people who predict doomsday now also predicted we'd be first in the conference when the boys win a few in a row too.

The Oilers have had the same flaw from the start of the season until right now. Sometimes they've done enough to win despite those flaws and right now they're not doing it.

This team is going no where without help on the back end, but that was the same reality when we were winning a few as when we were losing a few. Can't win a cup with this group and we knew that from day 1, a few bad games won't change that nor will a few good.

That's why we expect change, and we'll get some.

shawnmullin is offline  
Old
01-01-2007, 11:31 PM
  #9
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWC11 View Post
and act like nothing is wrong with the Oilers...maybe all that positive energy will lead to some wins! I'm clear down in the States but I bet my opinion matters so much to a bunch of NHL millionaires, so I'm gonna do my part to be a good fan. I'm gonna be a REAL Oiler fan and all of you should follow suit!

Forget wins and losses, goals and assists, plus/minus and GAA's. Let's focus on fun and getting pizza and pop afterwards. I bet that's why Pronger left, MacTavish didn't take him and the boys out enough times after the games for some Boston Pizza fun and games...Time to make up for all that lost time.
You are right, so *****ing about the Oilers' problems leads to heartburn and not much more.

Insta is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 01:19 AM
  #10
OilRick
Registered User
 
OilRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Many people don't respect others opinions on here un-less they mirror their own. It's o.k. to dis-agree with someone but you don't need to try and talk down to them as if they are in the special-ed class. Many on here are loyal to the coaches, GM, and players almost to a fault I would say. Others would blow up the team every other day, some are in-between. Different strokes for different folks.
Agree 100%.

We are all passionate about "our" team. Some guys are way too high after a few wins, and some are way too low after a few losses. I'd sure like to see us get a franchise player like Vinnie, or a good D-man like Stuart, but realistically all I can see KLowe doing right now is giving Gilbert, or Roy a try, and I wouldn't blame him.

The market right now is way too full of buyers. Unless KLowe absolutely sells the farm, there is no way I can see us getting a #1 or#2 Dman in the near future. And really I don't blame him. Wait it out and get one in the off season. I'd rather see that happen then giving up Cogliano, Schremp, and Chorney for 3 months of Stuart. And I'm pretty sure that's what it'll take.

Chances are we aren't going to get the cup this year, but I still wouldn't say we're in the rebuild mode. Just wait it out til the off season, and reload for next year. the younger guys will be a year more expirianced, and we'll have a few months this year to give the young guys a good tryout. In the off season address the weakest points on the team, and hit it hard again next year.

Now in saying that, if Tampa does take Horcoff and a few firsts for Vinnie, see ya later Shawn! But to give up on the guys we have developed for a few months of services from another player, I don't think it'd be worth it.

We were winning earlier this season, and we can do it again. The guys just lost their focus. The problem has to rectified by the coaching staff, not by KLowe. And yes, a good outlet passing D-man would help matters greatly, having the forwards make themselves available for the passes would probably help alot more. I mean if we did get Vishnovsky or Stuart, that takes care of one set of lines, we still have 2 more sets of D-man that will play the other half of the game. And to find 2 puck moving D-man this year will be like finding hens teeth, and way too expensive.

I'm just hopin we started our January slide a little early, but we'll recover a little quicker. But in the mean time I'll still be screaming at my TV like the rest of you, losing sleep because of a bad loss,and walking around the day after a loss all pissed off wanting answers. I just don't see how ridiculing other peoples ideas, or suggestions are helping at all. We're all in it together, so we might as well make the best of it!

End of lecture.

OilRick is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 02:15 AM
  #11
Afterglow
Registered User
 
Afterglow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Afterglow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksMorrison View Post
GO CANUCKS GO


Well....It's about time I'd better be hitting the ol' dusty trail...

*RIIIIIIIIIIIIIING*
"found the fire door"


Afterglow is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 02:15 AM
  #12
Sachiko
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,228
vCash: 500
Too many glass-wearers on this board.

Sachiko is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 12:31 PM
  #13
GSC
Registered User
 
GSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Basement
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,308
vCash: 500
hey folks,

I always try to stay level-headed about this team...I'm basing my opinion on the problems this team has faced all season, not within the stretch of the last few games. Yes, we're close to being in 1st, but right now we've just got to win ONE game and get out of this losing skid.

I'll always be a diehard fan and that entails living and dying with the Oil's ups and downs, eh?

GSC is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 01:22 PM
  #14
Jet
Moderator
Stand by your man
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,051
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachiko View Post
Too many glass-wearers on this board.
Then what the hell are you man? I have NEVER seen someone more bi polar about this team.... are you even a fan of the damn Oilers? You've been here for a whole 3 months and already have 1800+ posts!!! You know what that tells me? You don't bloody well think before you start typing. I don't know about others here but I'm getting pretty damn sick of your negativity. Its not even constructive... you're like a baby... you just spurt out any damn emotion that you feel... most of it bad.

I guarantee when the Oilers turn it around you'll be praising them to no end. Why don't you do us all a favor and put down the keyboard.

I may get points for this post but dammit someone had to say something! If you want respect on this board CONTRIBUTE something to it!!

I think we need a probation system on this board. Since last year the number of bad posters has gone through the damn roof!

__________________
Originally Posted by Koonta
If we boil Pavs will he get better?
Jet is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 02:58 PM
  #15
Sachiko
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Then what the hell are you man?
Obviously not a blind supporter, like yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I have NEVER seen someone more bi polar about this team....
That's nice. I'll take that as a compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
are you even a fan of the damn Oilers?
I believe I already answered your stupid question.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
You've been here for a whole 3 months and already have 1800+ posts!!!
You can count, congratulations. And I must thank you informing me of that statistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
You know what that tells me?
Do you really think I care what it tells you?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
You don't bloody well think before you start typing.
Thank you for your opinion, once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I don't know about others here but I'm getting pretty damn sick of your negativity.
Then ignore me, because right now your constant whining is irritating me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Its not even constructive... you're like a baby... you just spurt out any damn emotion that you feel... most of it bad.
Again, I thank you for your valued opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I guarantee when the Oilers turn it around you'll be praising them to no end.
Oh really? I think I'll keep this quote so you can see how horribly wrong you are. I don't swing on a dime regarding this team like most of the posters on this board do... Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you're starting to proclaim another huge cup run if this team ever wins more than 3 games in a row again this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Why don't you do us all a favor and put down the keyboard.
I was never holding it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I may get points for this post but dammit someone had to say something! If you want respect on this board CONTRIBUTE something to it!!
Again, thank you for you opinion. Respect? On an internet message board? Please.... don't need, nor want it for that matter as I don't loose sleep at night over some people I have never met, nor really care to meet not liking a harsh stab of reality... straight to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I think we need a probation system on this board. Since last year the number of bad posters has gone through the damn roof!
And in my opinion, you're one of them.

Sachiko is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 03:02 PM
  #16
Oilerfan_55
Registered User
 
Oilerfan_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Then what the hell are you man? I have NEVER seen someone more bi polar about this team.... are you even a fan of the damn Oilers? You've been here for a whole 3 months and already have 1800+ posts!!! You know what that tells me? You don't bloody well think before you start typing. I don't know about others here but I'm getting pretty damn sick of your negativity. Its not even constructive... you're like a baby... you just spurt out any damn emotion that you feel... most of it bad.

I guarantee when the Oilers turn it around you'll be praising them to no end. Why don't you do us all a favor and put down the keyboard.

I may get points for this post but dammit someone had to say something! If you want respect on this board CONTRIBUTE something to it!!

I think we need a probation system on this board. Since last year the number of bad posters has gone through the damn roof!

Thank you for saying what 99% of the other posters here think.

Oilerfan_55 is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 03:03 PM
  #17
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,758
vCash: 500
There's a difference between being a pessimist and a realist (as some on this board need to realize). You're bound to be right a few times if you piss and moan all season about the Oilers.

__________________
Burn Girl Prom Queen
Cerebral is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 03:10 PM
  #18
Oilerfan_55
Registered User
 
Oilerfan_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
There's a difference between being a pessimist and a realist (as some on this board need to realize). You're bound to be right a few times if you piss and moan all season about the Oilers.
Its a fine line to walk.... I dont think that posting 50 "1 line" comments in every oilers GDT over how terrible every thing the team does qualifies as a realist. Nor does stating they are the worst team in the NHL.

Oilerfan_55 is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 03:20 PM
  #19
Sachiko
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,228
vCash: 500
re·al·ist

–noun

1. a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are.
2. Philosophy. an adherent of realism.
3. Sachiko

pes·si·mist

–noun

1. a person who habitually sees or anticipates the worst or is disposed to be gloomy.
2. an adherent of the doctrine of pessimism.

It's a fact that at the Oilers current pace, they could very likely be the worst team in the NHL at seasons end. That is not be pessimistic... it's called being realistic.

It is also a fact that our defence is one of the worst in the league, if not the worst. That is also not being a pessimist... it's being a realist.

Think about it. What I would term people such as yourself is overly optimistic.. which is much worse than being pessimistic or a realist.

Sachiko is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 03:25 PM
  #20
Oilerfan_55
Registered User
 
Oilerfan_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachiko View Post
re·al·ist

–noun

1. a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are.
2. Philosophy. an adherent of realism.
3. Sachiko

pes·si·mist

–noun

1. a person who habitually sees or anticipates the worst or is disposed to be gloomy.
2. an adherent of the doctrine of pessimism.

It's a fact that at the Oilers current pace, they could very likely be the worst team in the NHL at seasons end. That is not be pessimistic... it's called being realistic.

It is also a fact that our defence is one of the worst in the league, if not the worst. That is also not being a pessimist... it's being a realist.

Think about it. What I would term people such as yourself is overly optimistic.. which is much worse than being pessimistic or a realist.
The oilers current pace after 38 games is .500.... Is it realistic to think that a .500 record would be the worst record in the NHL come seasons end?? Unless of course you make the unrealistic conclusion that the oilers current 4-game losing streak will continue forever, in which case, they would have the worst record in hockey... However, "bizzaro-sachiko" would claim that after a 4 game winning streak, the oilers would end the season with the best record in the NHL....

Oilerfan_55 is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 03:32 PM
  #21
Sachiko
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,228
vCash: 500
Go off the Oilers last 10 games. 2-8, they're playing like they would have at the beginning of the season if Roli hadn't continuously bailed them out.. and it doesn't take a genious to figure that one out. You can try insulting me all you want, as you can see your words don't bother nor phase me. You can be overly-optimistic about this team all you want, and you can get as excited and deluded as you want thinking this team is going to do ANYTHING at all in the post-season even if they; by some fluke of the imagination somehow squeek in. And I've already stated that I don't swing on a dime regarding this team like the majority of the posters on this board do... so you can stop with the little comments. You won't see me getting giddy like a little school girl unless the Oilers address their current needs in 2 top four D-man... and possibly a steady and reliable PP QB.

Sachiko is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 03:42 PM
  #22
Oilerfan_55
Registered User
 
Oilerfan_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachiko View Post
Go off the Oilers last 10 games. 2-8, they're playing like they would have at the beginning of the season if Roli hadn't continuously bailed them out.. and it doesn't take a genious to figure that one out. You can try insulting me all you want, as you can see your words don't bother nor phase me. You can be overly-optimistic about this team all you want, and you can get as excited and deluded as you want thinking this team is going to do ANYTHING at all in the post-season even if they; by some fluke of the imagination somehow squeek in. And I've already stated that I don't swing on a dime regarding this team like the majority of the posters on this board do... so you can stop with the little comments. You won't see me getting giddy like a little school girl unless the Oilers address their current needs in 2 top four D-man... and possibly a steady and reliable PP QB.
I guess I just seem to think that a 38-game sample size is a better measuring stick than a 10-game sample size. Oilers have overachieved at some times this year, and currently they are underachieving. They arent an elite team, and they sure as heck arent a bottom-tier team either.

Did you think the team would do "ANYTHING" at all in the post season last year? In all reality, they probably didnt deserve to be there. The Canucks just happened to deserve to be there even less...

An even better measuring stick of a team is an 82-game sample size, so we will see where they find themselves come april, and the highs and lows have balanced out, and the team has some roster changes via trades.

Oilerfan_55 is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 06:36 PM
  #23
bucks_oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
So..

Ever looked up the definition of a realist?

Because basing everything on a 4 game stretch during an 82 game isn't being a realist.

It's being a sensationalist.
Quiet you! The only thing sensational around here is your avatar... that and the fact that the Oilers picked up Nedved and it is rumored that 71-93-83 will lead the league in scoring in the second half.

bucks_oil is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 06:40 PM
  #24
GSC
Registered User
 
GSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Basement
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,308
vCash: 500
As author of this thread, it's time to put it all to rest:


GSC is offline  
Old
01-02-2007, 06:54 PM
  #25
chrisj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachiko View Post
Go off the Oilers last 10 games.
As a baseball fan, let me tell you a thing about small sample sizes... teams would win 150 games a season, players would hit 160 homeruns a season on a regular basis, etc

The team is playing bad. But we all know they can play better than they have the past few games.

chrisj is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.