HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Kovalev just lost it...

Old
12-30-2006, 02:28 AM
KOVALEV10*

vCash: 500
Has Kovalev just lost it...

Has he just lost it?

That extra step he needs to be effective in this league?

Remember last season?

Point per game player...

He was scoring beautiful goals. Top corner wrist shots.. laser beam slap shots.. great dekes TURNING into beautiful goals. And he used to do it at important times. He was SOOO clutch.

Remember the Florida game? Tied at 0-0 5 minute left in the third period Higgins to Kovalev GREAT MOVE TOP CORNER SHOT and a goal. Habs win 1-0.

There's so many more.

I dont really think he cares less then last year. He still looks like the same ol Kovalev to me.

Has Kovalev lost it?

KOVALEV10* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 02:35 AM
The Supersonik Fan

This is ridiculous... he is setting up Plekanec who's missing so many opportunities. He hasn't lost it.

The Supersonik Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 02:38 AM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Supersonik Fan View Post
This is ridiculous... he is setting up Plekanec who's missing so many opportunities. He hasn't lost it.
Kovalev for a while was my favorite player.

I'm not trying to bash him.

He just looks so much slower then years past.

His shot is weaker then before. When on the pp last year, I was always looking for that wrister from the top oif the circle and he used to score a lot with it.

This year...nope not once.

He's only scored 2 goals on wrist shots this year and both were against the worse team in the league.

He doesnt look good...he really doesnt. I'm sad to see to be honest.

Maybe he's just injured right now and is gonna have surgery like last season. I dont know..

Old
12-30-2006, 03:05 AM
GoHabsGO252006

Have you EVER said anything positive about anyone or anything before?

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 03:26 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
Have you EVER said anything positive about anyone or anything before?
Rory?

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 04:16 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat39 View Post
Has he just lost it?

Remember last season?

Point per game player...

He was scoring beautiful goals. Top corner wrist shots.. laser beam slap shots.. great dekes TURNING into beautiful goals. And he used to do it at important times. He was SOOO clutch.

Remember the Florida game? Tied at 0-0 5 minute left in the third period Higgins to Kovalev GREAT MOVE TOP CORNER SHOT and a goal. Habs win 1-0.

There's so many more.

I dont really think he cares less then last year. He still looks like the same ol Kovalev to me.

Has Kovalev lost it?

Well, he played some time with koivu last season which definitly helps the point totals.

Also, kovy was THE GO TO GUY when koivu was hurt last season. So there was a stretch where he was recieving additional ice time.

I dont think kovalev has lost it. Kovalev is just being Kovalev. A guy who teases you with world class talent.

You say he's slower. And I agree, there was a stretch where kovalev wasn't gaining power in his stride but he seems to be skating better lately. Perhaps, his bothersome knee has finally come around.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 04:19 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Kovalev should be the finisher on that line though. His goal totals are dissapointing especially 5 on 5.

Old
12-30-2006, 04:29 AM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Well, he played some time with koivu last season which definitly helps the point totals.

Also, kovy was THE GO TO GUY when koivu was hurt last season. So there was a stretch where he was recieving additional ice time.

I dont think kovalev has lost it. Kovalev is just being Kovalev. A guy who teases you with world class talent.

You say he's slower. And I agree, there was a stretch where kovalev wasn't gaining power in his stride but he seems to be skating better lately. Perhaps, his bothersome knee has finally come around.
He had 19 points in 18 games with Koivu and was a little under that pace with Ribeiro and Bulis.

I dont think the linemates are the problem.

I've followed him on his career and he looks the worse right now.

Before.. even when he wasnt having a good season you always had the impression that he's gonna score or make a big play. Now... I just want him to get off the ice.

Old
12-30-2006, 04:50 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
He had 19 points in 18 games with Koivu and was a little under that pace with Ribeiro and Bulis.

I dont think the linemates are the problem.

I've followed him on his career and he looks the worse right now.

Before.. even when he wasnt having a good season you always had the impression that he's gonna score or make a big play. Now... I just want him to get off the ice.

Just due to his immense talent, I'm always excited when he has the puck. Everytime he has the puck, you just know something special could happen.

I feel the same way about samsonov as you do with kovalev..... get off the ice sammy!!!

The worst I've seen of kovalev was in 03-04 when kovalev was with the rangers. He even struggled in montreal after the trade. He finally got going in game 2 of the playoffs (the same time when kovalev was put on the big line with koivu). I do think linemates have something to do with it. I dont know what samsonov is doing half the time. And plekanec is really struggling on that line since he wants to play more of a north-south game than his linemates do. BTW, Kovy only had 45 points in the 03-04 season

Old
12-30-2006, 08:26 AM
SpreeEndaz

Kovalev the playmaker >>> Kovalev the scorer

This means, give some linemates that can finish the job on Kovalev's line and everything will be OK.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Kovalev the playmaker >>> Kovalev the scorer

This means, give some linemates that can finish the job on Kovalev's line and everything will be OK.

Kovalev + Effort >>> Kovalev - Effort

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 09:17 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

Totally agree...especially the part, Kovalev is just being Kovalev...world class talent, just not always world class effort...but next to Koivu, he is a guy to make things happen...imagine if Kovy had Saku's or Higgins hustle...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 09:35 AM
JackieChan

He just needs a bit of luck.... I stopped counting how many crossbars and posts he hit long ago.

Also, maybe his flashy sticks are part of the problem. Maybe they're way different than those he used last season, and he is stubborn to give them a chance since it's his own company.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Mikhail Grabovsky*

Quote:
Has he just lost it?

Remember last season?

Point per game player...

There's so many more.

Has Kovalev lost it?

NO

but you have bye bye

Mikhail Grabovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
Kovalev + Effort >>> Kovalev - Effort
The sky is blue.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 10:40 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Has he just lost it?

Remember last season?

Point per game player...

There's so many more.

At one time Kovalev and Samsonov were considered top 10 players in the league. Now they both play together and dont even produce second line numbers. Its getting old to gain Plekanec

Has Kovalev lost it?
At one time Kovalev and Samsonov were considered top 10 players in the league. Now they both play together and dont even produce second line numbers. Its getting old to blame Plekanec

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 10:43 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
At one time Kovalev and Samsonov were considered top 10 players in the league. Now they both play together and dont even produce second line numbers. Its getting old to blame Plekanec
Maybe Carbo should try a Samsonov-Koivu-Kovalev line someday +

Latendresse-Higgins-Ryder
Perezhogin-Plekanec-Streit

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Also, maybe his flashy sticks are part of the problem. Maybe they're way different than those he used last season, and he is stubborn to give them a chance since it's his own company.
As far as I am aware, Kovalev owns no part of Warrior, formerly Innovative. They are owned by a company called New Balance which I don't think Kovalev has any business involvement with other than he has his own signature shaft with them, although he did with Innovative and all Warrior did when they bought Inno out was take the old sticks and re-paint them and give them a new name. As far as I am aware, they did exactly that with Kovalevs old 'Commander' sig sticks so I don't think there is a manufacturing difference in what he is using. Unless he has a new model that isn't available to the public yet, but I've not really checked recently.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Mikhail Grabovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
Maybe Carbo should try a Samsonov-Koivu-Kovalev line someday +

Latendresse-Higgins-Ryder
Perezhogin-Plekanec-Streit

i don't agree with you often but this time......

but that 4th line is very small ...no ?
and where the heck is Max L. ?

Mikhail Grabovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 10:59 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
yeah , blaming a second year player for the scoring woes of a superstar making over four million a year explains it all for me too .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 12:18 PM
LesHabsRock

His knee is what's slowing him down this year. He's sucked it up and kept playing like the pro he is. He's been hit in the knee a couple of times this season and it's been re-aggrevated. It wouldn't surprise me if he get's off-season surgery in the summer.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
I think it's because he's not depended upon fully anymore. With Sundstrom, Perreault, Bulis, etc all options to throw out on the ice Kovalev knew he was needed to fill in for the offense. Now with Johnson, Higgins, Souray all stepping up like they have been, maybe he just doesn't feel the pressure to perform as much?

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 12:20 PM
One Trick Pony

Just wait till playoffs

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 12:20 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I think it's because he's not depended upon fully anymore. With Sundstrom, Perreault, Bulis, etc all options to throw out on the ice Kovalev knew he was needed to fill in for the offense. Now with Johnson, Higgins, Souray all stepping up like they have been, maybe he just doesn't feel the pressure to perform as much?
That's not true. He played with other superstars like Jagr, Lemieux, Messier, etc and still produced.

Old
12-30-2006, 12:21 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Just wait till playoffs
Exactly. His playoff performance is well known. You'll see a different Kovalev when the time comes.