HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

A Goalie Controversy in the Making?

Old
01-04-2007, 11:56 AM
handtrick

vCash: 500
A new interview of Vokoun/Trotz after his first day of full practice yesterday.

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/c...av=menu374_5_5

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Jordan Chenier

Send a message via MSN to Jordan Chenier
The problem here is that Nashville has two very capable goaltenders. However Vokoun is the type of guy that you turn to when your in trouble. I think that Trotz sees a potential starter in Mason. However it should be a 70/30 in split in games favouring Vokey.

Jordan Chenier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 08:08 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Well Mason has shown that he can be a starter, he may not win the big games that he needs to, but he can start.

So we either have two capable goalies, or we ship him out at the trade deadline and gear up for the playoffs. Either way, we are in a good position.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

It will be interesting to see if we consider dealing Mason around the deadline. Chris may even request a trade, and looking at the Eastern conference........there are plenty of teams that need a goalie in a bad way (Boston paramount among them.)

01-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Slapshot17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
It will be interesting to see if we consider dealing Mason around the deadline. Chris may even request a trade, and looking at the Eastern conference........there are plenty of teams that need a goalie in a bad way (Boston paramount among them.)
You could probably get a backup for Vokoun and a as high as a first round pick for him, or a pretty decent player.

On the other hand, last year in the playoffs we all remember what happened to Dwayne Roloson in the final, and how Gerber just didn't cut it for Carolina. It's nice to have that other goto guy if you need him.

Slapshot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 05:31 PM
AdmiralPred

So, deal Mason and keep Leighton? Hoping Vokoun can put together a Brodeur-like run for the rest of the season?

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 05:49 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralPred View Post
So, deal Mason and keep Leighton? Hoping Vokoun can put together a Brodeur-like run for the rest of the season?
No thanks.
Leighton has not started a game in the past 20 in which Mason did 5 back to back nights.....obviously there is no confidence in him whatsoever......you don't take that chance when you are trying to make a legitimate Stanley Cup run, IMO.

Old
01-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Rudolf Yaber

Have you heard whether Vokoun is ready to start tonight?

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 11:49 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perogieboy View Post
Have you heard whether Vokoun is ready to start tonight?
doesn't look like it. they're likely going to save vokoun for anaheim on tuesday.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
doesn't look like it. they're likely going to save vokoun for anaheim on tuesday.
Thanks. Love your avatar btw.

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Slapshot17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
That's a tough team for a comeback game. But Mason has to be exhausted. He's done a great job, but it's definately time for a rest. Hope he does well in his last game tonight against St. Louis before Vokoun returns.

Slapshot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 12:45 PM
DanDx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot17 View Post
That's a tough team for a comeback game. But Mason has to be exhausted. He's done a great job, but it's definately time for a rest. Hope he does well in his last game tonight against St. Louis before Vokoun returns.
Wish him a shut out

DanDx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 04:24 PM
handtrick

Vokoun in net for the first time against Anaheim Tuesday....what a way to shake off the rust....against the conferences best team......we play CBJ on a back to back, home and home, Friday and Saturday. I would play Mason Tuesday against ANA, and play Tomas this first game against CBJ if it was up to me....but it's not.....but it doesn't sound like it is up to Trotz either.....

If you listen to Trotz's press conference from last night.....

http://predzone.com/audio.php?catid=2

You can hear the frustration over the whole thing in his voice......
"When your number one goalie says he is ready, you say 'OK' "
"He is ready and he is going in [against Anaheim] and we just work from there, I guess."

I don't know what he meant by "if you don't bring him against Anaheim, you bring him in against Detroit, and both are pretty good teams.....".......the funny thing is that we play CBJ on 12/12 and 12/13 and CGY on 12/15 before we play DET on 12/17.....so I don't know what he was thinking.

I understand Tomas itching to get back in.....but he needs to think outside his personal desires right now...and think more about the team.
One quote he recently had was to the effect of "I play most for myself and to do the best I can for myself.....and for the team that I am playing for next."

You don't do the best for yourself or your team, for demanding to go back in at a certain time.....against arguably the league's strongest team....with 6 weeks of rust....playing at 80% at best.....and taking the decision out of the coaches hands....when Mason is playing as well as he is. That is just not being a team guy, in my book.

This whole "controversy" is the first time, in a while, I have seen Vokoun's insecurity coming back. I see what Trotz is saying....."OK big boy....you want it....here you go.....sink or swim."
-If he comes out a plays a stellar game.....great.
-But what if he doesn't....what if he lays an egg? ......[I estimate 50% or greater chance he does].
-What if he gets shelled so bad....he needs to be pulled.....does Trotz do it, or let Tomas swing from his own vine for a little bit.
-What do the players think, if Vokoun comes in and stinks it up?......they have been nothing short of glowing about Mase....see Arnott's comments from last night...."We are giving up too many shots and we are leaving Mase back there," Predators Center Jason Arnott said. "He's playing unbelievable right now and we know that, but you can't rely on him all the time, and I think we are too much right now."

Tomas is a competitor...no one can deny that....and he has never shirked away from a challenge.....but......

Well, I for one, will be interested to see how this one plays out in the short term.

Last edited by handtrick: 01-07-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old
01-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Definitely...like you mentioned, what a way to come back. So much for a warm welcome, unless you take that to mean being thrown directly into the fire. However, I think a Pronger-less Ducks is a beatable Ducks.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Jarnberg

There's no way I'd play Vokoun on Tuesday against Anaheim, no matter how good he felt. Even with Anaheim's injuries, they are still a very dangerous team. We always seem to struggle against them, no matter how good they are.

Who knows, maybe he can play unbelievable and shut them down, but its highly unlikely at this point in my opinion.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 06:19 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger View Post
There's no way I'd play Vokoun on Tuesday against Anaheim, no matter how good he felt. Even with Anaheim's injuries, they are still a very dangerous team. We always seem to struggle against them, no matter how good they are.

Who knows, maybe he can play unbelievable and shut them down, but its highly unlikely at this point in my opinion.
I agree with both posters in that TV 's first game back should NOT be vs. Anahiem. I know they are battling thru some injuries, but a very dangerous, driving to the blue ice time that generates many quality scoring chances and throws lots of pucks on net-- I would feel better if Vokoun had started back vs. a team a little less stellar than the Ducks have been.

I guess we will see how ready he is...

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 11:15 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Just thinking out loud here, but does anyone think that we'll see Mason traded before the trade deadline in 2008?

I don't see him wanting to stay beyond his current contract because while he likes it here, I think this past stretch has told him (and the rest of the NHL) that he is capable of being a starter.

Because of this, I think he might get dangled towards the deadline next season to a team looking to bolster their goaltending corps (See Edmonton/Roloson last year). I see Poile doing it to benefit the team, but also to give Mason a big audition before he becomes a UFA.

Anyone else see this as a possibility?

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 11:23 AM
JussiM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Absolutely.

JussiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Just thinking out loud here, but does anyone think that we'll see Mason traded before the trade deadline in 2008?

Considering that Pekka Rinne will be ready for prime time by then .... I'd say definitely Mr. Poile will trade for the good of the team.

Mason deserves to be a #1 goalie but he needs to be one in the EASTERN Conference.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We better come out playing hard tomorrow, or we will be setting Vokoun and the team up for a big let down. We need this win badly.....

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Jarnberg

The Mason and Vokoun talk is also on NHL.com:
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...ticleid=287004

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 06:12 AM
irisheyes555

guess this goes into a little more detail why trotz says he will rotate both mason and vokoun. seems as if TV will take a while to get back to 100% with the hand and as such not playing him as much would ease the transition. knowing is half the battle - yo joe!!!!

More details of Vokoun's thumb

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:06 AM
AdsSabresRule

Mason trade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
Considering that Pekka Rinne will be ready for prime time by then .... I'd say definitely Mr. Poile will trade for the good of the team.

Mason deserves to be a #1 goalie but he needs to be one in the EASTERN Conference.
Although I don't put Mason in the 'Biron' category of proven, legit, full - time, starters that people salivate over - I do think that you could get some good beans for him. He has done really well in Vokoun's absence...

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:39 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdsSabresRule View Post
Although I don't put Mason in the 'Biron' category of proven, legit, full - time, starters that people salivate over - I do think that you could get some good beans for him. He has done really well in Vokoun's absence...
I agree to an extent. While Mason has proven to be the far superior backup to Biron, he's yet to prove he can be a solid starter for an entire season.

But I don't think anyone is salivating over Biron. If they were truly salivating, he'd be wearing the jersey of the team with the most drool. He's got good value, but it's not like he has several years of good numbers under his belt. His numbers have been quite underwhelming since his debut as a full-time starter. Certain teams in this league desire a solid starter, which Biron is. But teams don't salivate over mediocrity. And Biron's numbers for the past four seasons have hovered around that point.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 11:29 AM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Vokoun in net for the first time against Anaheim Tuesday....what a way to shake off the rust....against the conferences best team......we play CBJ on a back to back, home and home, Friday and Saturday. I would play Mason Tuesday against ANA, and play Tomas this first game against CBJ if it was up to me....but it's not.....but it doesn't sound like it is up to Trotz either.....

If you listen to Trotz's press conference from last night.....

http://predzone.com/audio.php?catid=2

You can hear the frustration over the whole thing in his voice......
"When your number one goalie says he is ready, you say 'OK' "
"He is ready and he is going in [against Anaheim] and we just work from there, I guess."

I don't know what he meant by "if you don't bring him against Anaheim, you bring him in against Detroit, and both are pretty good teams.....".......the funny thing is that we play CBJ on 12/12 and 12/13 and CGY on 12/15 before we play DET on 12/17.....so I don't know what he was thinking.

I understand Tomas itching to get back in.....but he needs to think outside his personal desires right now...and think more about the team.
One quote he recently had was to the effect of "I play most for myself and to do the best I can for myself.....and for the team that I am playing for next."

You don't do the best for yourself or your team, for demanding to go back in at a certain time.....against arguably the league's strongest team....with 6 weeks of rust....playing at 80% at best.....and taking the decision out of the coaches hands....when Mason is playing as well as he is. That is just not being a team guy, in my book.

This whole "controversy" is the first time, in a while, I have seen Vokoun's insecurity coming back. I see what Trotz is saying....."OK big boy....you want it....here you go.....sink or swim."
-If he comes out a plays a stellar game.....great.
-But what if he doesn't....what if he lays an egg? ......[I estimate 50% or greater chance he does].
-What if he gets shelled so bad....he needs to be pulled.....does Trotz do it, or let Tomas swing from his own vine for a little bit.
-What do the players think, if Vokoun comes in and stinks it up?......they have been nothing short of glowing about Mase....see Arnott's comments from last night...."We are giving up too many shots and we are leaving Mase back there," Predators Center Jason Arnott said. "He's playing unbelievable right now and we know that, but you can't rely on him all the time, and I think we are too much right now."

Tomas is a competitor...no one can deny that....and he has never shirked away from a challenge.....but......

Well, I for one, will be interested to see how this one plays out in the short term.
I have to agree with you here. Vokoun has admitted to not being 100%, so with the team and Mason doing so well, why not let yourself heal? The Preds will be in the playoffs for sure and that's were Vokoun will really be called on.

Forcing the coaches hand when, you might not be the best guy, at this point in time anyway, seems a bit selfish to me.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote