HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mats Naslund Question

Old
01-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Mats Naslund Question

Hey guys, I just have a question about mats that I have been meaning to ask for quite a while.

Being born in 1983, my memories of naslund in a habs uniform are extremely vague.

I see from 82-89, naslund averaged more than a point per game throughout his career.

But in 1990, his points totals declined roughly in half with 41 points in 72 games. It turned out to be naslund's last season as a hab but he was only 30-31 years old at that time.

My question is, why did he go back to europe? Did the habs think he was finished or was it purely naslund's desire to go back to europe.

I dont believe it was naslund's desire to go to europe because he went to lugano (Huet's old team) the next season which is in switzerland. I figure he would have played in sweden if it was a question of moving closer to home.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 08:52 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Hey guys, I just have a question about mats that I have been meaning to ask for quite a while.

Being born in 1983, my memories of naslund in a habs uniform are extremely vague.

I see from 82-89, naslund averaged more than a point per game throughout his career.

But in 1990, his points totals declined roughly in half with 41 points in 72 games. It turned out to be naslund's last season as a hab but he was only 30-31 years old at that time.

My question is, why did he go back to europe? Did the habs think he was finished or was it purely naslund's desire to go back to europe.

I dont believe it was naslund's desire to go to europe because he went to lugano (Huet's old team) the next season which is in switzerland. I figure he would have played in sweden if it was a question of moving closer to home.

I don't have any "concrete" answer, like with a link or anything. But I remember Naslund being very dedicated to the team and happy to be here, but at the same time, it was clear, right at the begginning, that he would go back to europe sooner than later. I remember him saying that he wanted to play close to home and for his national team while having still good hockey left in him. So it means that early 30 is a good time to go back.

Again, from what I remember, he was dedicated to the habs because he's a true professionnal, but in the end, he was more dedicated to his friends, family, and national team, which is fine for me.

He came back, tho, with the Boston Bruins at the end of a season, but he wasn't the same player.

The guy was pure fun, and it shows when he was playing. Always happy to play, always smiling on the ice, and I can't remember a player more happy than him everytime he scored a goal (except maybe Mike Foligno!!!) So my guess is that up to a point, he considered that he would have more fun playing in europe while being still relatively young...

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 09:05 AM

I'm 25yrs old, and my first memory of watching the Habs includes Mats Naslund, I loved the way he played, Naslund, Bobby Smith and Larry Robinson were my favorite Habs

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 09:29 AM
MXD

He was a consumate professionnal, highly feisty player. But at the same time... he preferred Sweden to NA. He's a Carpenter or something like this out there. (i've read somewhere that he was an EBENISTE, no clue how that's translated in english)

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Players back then generally when into decline in their early 30s. Remember; this was before all that expansion that went on in the '90s, the league wasn't watered down back then as much

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote