HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do You see Hossa as a BAD 4th liner?

View Poll Results: Do you see Hossa as a BAD 4th liner?
Nope, Keep him on the 4th line. 64 84.21%
Yes, Very bad 4th liner. Is a liability to the line 3 3.95%
YES, Trade him or Send him down!! 9 11.84%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-02-2007, 11:49 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Do You see Hossa as a BAD 4th liner?

FORGET the fact that he is an all-stars brother and is a 1st round pick.

IMO I think he is a very good 4th liner. He plays above average defense for a forward, and in the offense zone he keeps the puck deep and is way above average in the boards and wins almost every battle in the offensive or defensive zone.

So what is so bad about him? Again FORGET the fact he doesn't have the offensive skills as his all-star brother (which means NOTHING because nobody should be comparing him with his brother).

The guy is great on the PK, great as a 4th liner who can keep the puck in the offensive zone, he does take the body, and has a tad of offensive skill which might come in handy if someone on the top 2 lines gets injured.

So what is the hate against this guy. I'm not even talking about his SO skills.

The guy has been solid all season and hasn't hurt the team at all. So why do people hate him? If he had the last name of Franky I doubt half the people who don't like him would support the guy.

Seriously...im very happy with Hossa. He doesn't hurt the team on the 4th line (like Orr does sometimes when he is playing), he never takes a bad penalty...he just plays his game, solid as he can and he does his job..no complaints.

My question again...do people hate him as a 4th line forward?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:00 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think Hossa is fine on the fourth line. If we had an upgrade available, I wouldn't lose any sleep over getting rid of Hossa. With what we have now, I don't mind him there.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

He seems to do ok, that and he is a killer in the shootouts.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I've always liked Hossa in this role, he does his job and does it well.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:10 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
i say trade him or send me down. to be honest id rather have callahan, greg moore or korpikoski or byers a chance, they are younger and would give us more north american grit. Hossa has been solid lately but id rather have a bit more grit. Id keep Hossa over Ward though.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:12 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
i say trade him or send me down. to be honest id rather have callahan, greg moore or korpikoski or byers a chance, they are younger and would give us more north american grit. Hossa has been solid lately but id rather have a bit more grit. Id keep Hossa over Ward though.
C'on Hall.....you think Cally, Korps or Byers would do better then Hossa(at this point in their very early Pro careers)? Hossa makes almost zero mistakes on the 4th line and is strong with the puck in the offensive zone vs 1 or 2 players against the boards. Even Byers and Cally or Korpi wouldn't win most of those battles this early on in their careers at the NHL level.

I'd agree with you Cally, Korps or even Byers would be better then Hall maybe...but Hossa in a defensive role does a pretty damn good job even u have to admit...he's not been a liability at all IMO.

Old
01-03-2007, 12:15 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
C'on Hall.....you think Cally, Korps or Byers would do better then Hossa(at this point in their very early Pro careers)? Hossa makes almost zero mistakes on the 4th line and is strong with the puck in the offensive zone first 1 or 2 players on him against the boards.

I'd agree with you Cally, Korps or even Byers would be better then Hall maybe...but Hossa in a defensive role does a pretty damn good job even u have to admit...he's not been a liability at all IMO.
im not saying that. Hossa has been good of late. But id rather if J Ward got dealt. J Ward sux. Rather have Cally, Korps, Byers, Moore getting ice time.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:15 AM
frozenrubber

Shootouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDragFan View Post
He seems to do ok, that and he is a killer in the shootouts.
Fact: Marcel Hossa IS NOT killer in shootouts.

First, reference his other shootout work. His first game winning shootout goal was less than stellar. His five-hole shot was generic, and non spectactular. If you were to run the same play, one would put that at a 20% conversion rate.

Tonight's deke was good but in watching the shootout, Marty was flopping and made the first move on every shooter.

His shootout skills are mediocre at best, and if you disagree, try viewing the Washington marathon.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:16 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
im not saying that. Hossa has been better than Ward as well. Id love if J Ward got dealt. Rather have Cally, Korps, Byers, Moore getting ice time.
Fair enough..btw i updated my last post a bit after u posted yours so people beware and make sure you read the quotes.

Old
01-03-2007, 12:18 AM
DontStaal

Quote:
C'on Hall.....you think Cally, Korps or Byers would do better then Hossa(at this point in their very early Pro careers)? Hossa makes almost zero mistakes on the 4th line and is strong with the puck in the offensive zone vs 1 or 2 players against the boards. Even Byers and Cally or Korpi wouldn't win most of those battles this early on in their careers at the NHL level.

i agree. I've been impressed with his playing in this defensive role.

As much as i see flashes of offensive skill in him, I don't think he will ever be anything close to Marian.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Geogaddi

Hes accepted his role on the Rangers. And has changed in order to fulfill his role better to the team. Hes still young, and IMO still has some untapped potential that could suprise the rangers down the road. I like him a whole lot more then Orr in that spot. I'd really like to see him on the 2nd PP sometimes instead of Hall. Thus letting Cullen to man the point. But im not Tom Renney.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:34 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

I don't think he's bad at all...but to me he is a failed 2nd liner...he is a scorer who never will reach the point he should. I like to have a 4th line of bangers so personally I'd dislike the move

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
I don't think he's bad at all...but to me he is a failed 2nd liner...he is a scorer who never will reach the point he should. I like to have a 4th line of bangers so personally I'd dislike the move
Why is he a failed 2nd liner to you? If he didn't have the Hossa name, I'm willing to bet your thoughts will be different.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:40 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Why is he a failed 2nd liner to you? If he didn't have the Hossa name, I'm willing to bet your thoughts will be different.
Well I've always thought of him as a scorer...even when we acquired him for Garth. I didn't look at it as swapping 2 bottom line wingers. I know some Hab fans dislike him...but I'd rather have Garth here now that I brought it up. Really reminds me of Hollweg.

Old
01-03-2007, 12:47 AM
Geogaddi

Quote:
Well I've always thought of him as a scorer...even when we acquired him for Garth. I didn't look at it as swapping 2 bottom line wingers. I know some Hab fans dislike him...but I'd rather have Garth here now that I brought it up. Really reminds me of Hollweg.
I have to disagree with you. Hossa has def matured more as a player then Murray has in Montreal. I mean at first i was iffy about the deal. But seeing the way Marcel has taken on his role, i say the deal was a win for the Rangers.

Old
01-03-2007, 12:51 AM
rickyrod

Once I stopped expecting him to show glimpses of his brother, I started to like him. He hustles, plays hard, controls in the corner well, and does a decent job on the PK. I wouldn't lose sleep if we traded him, but he finally feels like he has a spot on the club, which he didn't feel like last season.

Still, you see what he can do to someone like Brodeur in the shoot out and you wonder why it just doesn't happen to him in game play.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:52 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I have to disagree with you. Hossa has def matured more as a player then Murray has in Montreal. I mean at first i was iffy about the deal. But seeing the way Marcel has taken on his role, i say the deal was a win for the Rangers.
Neither Murray nor Hossa is making the habs' fourth line these days, so I'd say it's a wash. I'd give you Garth back for free just to bring up Lapierre from the AHL.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Geogaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
Once I stopped expecting him to show glimpses of his brother, I started to like him. He hustles, plays hard, controls in the corner well, and does a decent job on the PK. I wouldn't lose sleep if we traded him, but he finally feels like he has a spot on the club, which he didn't feel like last season.

Still, you see what he can do to someone like Brodeur in the shoot out and you wonder why it just doesn't happen to him in game play.
He seems to hesitate or rush himself when he does have the puck in the offensive zone at times. Noticed it a couple times tonight. I think he needs to be a little more patient when he is carrying the puck, bc he def shows when its in a controlled atmosphere what he can do.

Old
01-03-2007, 12:55 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Neither Murray nor Hossa is making the habs' fourth line these days, so I'd say it's a wash. I'd give you Garth back for free just to bring up Lapierre from the AHL.
I'd take it.

Old
01-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
I'd take it.
He's a good guy, but his skill level is really low. He showed some promise at the end of last season, but it's been mostly downhill from there.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Geogaddi

Quote:
He's a good guy, but his skill level is really low. He showed some promise at the end of last season, but it's been mostly downhill from there.
See thats why im saying its a win for the Rangers really in the Deal. Hossa has become that PK'er that they needed after dealing away Moore, and he has stepped up and filled it. We have the guys like Orts and Holly already to go into the corners and do the physical part of being on the 4th line, which Murray would've done had he stayed with the Rangers.

Old
01-03-2007, 01:12 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:

See you might think its a wash..but if Murray was still here IMO he would not touch the 4th line and would be an AHLer if we didnt already trade him again.

Murray is not an NHLer...FACT...Hossa is an NHLer even if it is the 4th line....IMO we definitely won that trade..if Hab/Ranger fans want to admit it or not.

Murray has no hands and is below average in the defensive zone...he unlike Hossa WOULD be an defensive liability. He is another goon with zero offensive and below average defensive skills...PASS.

Old
01-03-2007, 01:36 AM
eco's bones

I don't ever see him scoring a lot. Having said that he has skills. He has size and is pretty good cycling the puck on the forecheck. He doesn't avoid getting hit. He could hit a lot more. He's decent defensively and not a bad penalty killer--and he's come up big for us twice in shootouts. I don't mind him on the 4th and he can occasionally be plugged in higher. I wouldn't mind him being replaced by someone better but I don't think we have that player now. I'd play him ahead of both Hall and Orr for sure.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 01:39 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

I really couldn't care less about Hossa, he can fill a spot until someone better comes along, but he's just that: a place filler. He's not particularly good at anything and his complete lack of offensive ability makes whatever talents he has that much more limited. Sooner or later someone better will come along and play his 9 minutes a night and he will just be another interchangable part that was changed.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 01:58 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
See you might think its a wash..but if Murray was still here IMO he would not touch the 4th line and would be an AHLer if we didnt already trade him again.

Murray is not an NHLer...FACT...Hossa is an NHLer even if it is the 4th line....IMO we definitely won that trade..if Hab/Ranger fans want to admit it or not.

Murray has no hands and is below average in the defensive zone...he unlike Hossa WOULD be an defensive liability. He is another goon with zero offensive and below average defensive skills...PASS.
Garth Murray is a goon? Not at all