HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avalanche Recalls Guite/Richardson reassigned to Albany

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2007, 09:14 AM
  #51
Laperriere22*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CO
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic's-A-Legend View Post
Hmm, I disagree with alot of your points. Svatos started the season on the second line, then on the first line, then struggled a bit and now he's on the first line again. So he is getting some quality minutes. He just doesn't play PK. Stastny has played the second line the whole year and if getting first PP time and is averaging 17 minutes a game. Wolski is actually asserting himself much more and is a good passer as well as shooter so im not sure where you got the idea that he doesn't pass. Richie is a good player but there is no room in the top six for him and there is barely enough room on the third line for him (Arnason must be there and he is a center) so unless we move Richie to wing he almost has to play on the fourth line. You also mentioned he is a great coach for defencemen. Have you followed the Avs this season?
I should choose to ignore the Svatos spiel because it sounds like Q trying to BS his decisions to the media. Frankly, when a coach is constantly changing up his lines, there really isn't a first line, second line, etc. There are players that get the important minutes and then there's the guys that play with them because the coach thinks playing with a good player might get more out of that player. Last year, you could say that Turgeon and Svatos were basically the second line in terms of their offense, but Q played Lappy and Laaksonen more minutes in a checking role than the supposed second line. Know what? I'm not your coach; figure it out yourself.

Your assertions regarding Stastny and Wolski are laughable. Stastny's been on the 2nd line the whole year huh? What have his minutes looked like even strength the past month or so? Is Rycroft some new scoring phenomenon which explains why he's often on Stastny's wing? Or maybe Rycroft has good speed and hustle to cover up for Stastny's lack of speed on the backcheck and the rush? No, Rycroft doesn't have speed or hustle, he's all hands. I guess it's just a mystery or perhaps a mirage because Colorado has been like a desert the past three weeks in terms of precipitation. Ya think? Well do ya?

And Wolski. You overwhelmed me with precise observations about Wolski's game. I never said he couldn't pass; I said he won't. He's a shooter first and if you think otherwise, you're fooling yourself at a level that is rarely reached. If Wolski carries the puck into the zone, he doesn't look for his teammates much. He instead will shoot the puck or try to make a move and then shoot the puck. I'm waiting for the day when the defenders start bodying Wolski up. If that happens (that should be "when it happens" but the NHL isn't what it used to be), Wolski will shrink. He has crappy balance for a guy his size, which is evidenced by how easily he's knocked down. When the puck's on his stick and he's leaning into a guy, he's fine. In open ice, his balance sucks. Combine that with how much his head is down while making yet another move and you have a glaring weakness that smarter defenders will eventually exploit.

Has Richardson been worse than Hejduk this year? I tend to think not. And Arnason, outside of the occasional flash, isn't much different than the Blackhawks Arnason. If you had a coach that based play on merit, Richardson could be in the top six of this team absolutely. You have an average team and outside of Sakic, there's no other forward that's really played at a consistently high level to warrant never moving from the top six forwards. However, Q doesn't play guys on merit, never has.

So no, I haven't followed the Avs this season. I check the stats and read a couple of three line scouting reports and then I present my opinions. That's how it's done right?

Laperriere22* is offline  
Old
01-05-2007, 09:22 AM
  #52
Laperriere22*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CO
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
No it isn't, because I feel ripped off when i pay good money to see Q's coaching.
Hey, I warned everyone about Q. PL should have went after Jacques Martin while he was out there. Martin gets more out of a team in my-not-humble-at-all opinion. Anybody that thinks Granato coming back would be better needs to wipe the drool off their chin and put their "special" helmet back on before they stand up. Wanting Granato to be your head coach is like wanting Keenan to be your GM or Ted Bundy as your massage therapist.

I'll make you happy and give the lesbian in my analogy an insanely feminist attitude and a pair of large, but dull, scissors. I know you feel appreciated so you don't have to thank me for that (although I should be thanked for introducing circle jerk into a hockey discussion; something you don't see everyday).

Laperriere22* is offline  
Old
01-05-2007, 09:34 AM
  #53
Laperriere22*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CO
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan View Post
Lots of people on here don't watch the games.

Richardson has fallen off since his injury, and outside of a few SH goals, his game has fallen. He is on a PK unit that couldn't kill a penalty if he tried. He is not going to beat out the production of Stats, Wolski, Sakic, Hejduk, Arnason, Svatos...and others.

On the 4th line, Richardson isnt going to produce either. Q doesn't need to be fired, Laaks wasn't getting sent down because he is on a one-way contract. Get over it. Richardson will be back, hopefully better, but right now, he isn't producing the way he could, and he HAS been given chances

As for the Q killing young forwards...that must be the reason the Avs have 2, both YOUNG FORWARDS in the top 5 of rookie scoring. And as said above, Svatos last year got every chance to succeed until he got hurt.
As I said briefly in my post to the special one, Svatos didn't get a lot of chances to succeed last year. He was scoring at the level of Crosby and Ovechkin, but got many how many fewer minutes a game? When you're going to run around and make assertions based on stats, you must realize how easily manipulated they are. It's a garbage argument. It's the same as your assertion that Richardson couldn't beat out the production of some of the bums in your list. I say Richardson could outproduce a guy like Arnason given equal minutes and linemates that have a little more finish than Jeff Shantz. In the same situation, Richardson has better instincts than Arnason and is a hell of a lot more consistent with his game. But you know, I don't watch games. It's easier to talk about hockey when you can't analyze what you're seeing and because I've grown so bored with knowing what I'm talking about, even if it's just a little, I decided I would go back to being 12 years old and just guessing the complete opposite of the hype to start a debate.

Stastny and Wolski are high in scoring; that sure makes me wrong. Great point.

Laperriere22* is offline  
Old
01-05-2007, 10:24 AM
  #54
12# Peter Bondra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22's Ghost View Post
Hey, I warned everyone about Q. PL should have went after Jacques Martin while he was out there. Martin gets more out of a team in my-not-humble-at-all opinion. Anybody that thinks Granato coming back would be better needs to wipe the drool off their chin and put their "special" helmet back on before they stand up. Wanting Granato to be your head coach is like wanting Keenan to be your GM or Ted Bundy as your massage therapist.

I'll make you happy and give the lesbian in my analogy an insanely feminist attitude and a pair of large, but dull, scissors. I know you feel appreciated so you don't have to thank me for that (although I should be thanked for introducing circle jerk into a hockey discussion; something you don't see everyday).
I wouldnt sure want Martin. He had stacked Ottawa teams and didnt do much with them.

12# Peter Bondra is offline  
Old
01-05-2007, 11:34 AM
  #55
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Why Brad?

FearTheFlyers is offline  
Old
01-05-2007, 01:44 PM
  #56
Bam Beet*
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22's Ghost View Post
I should choose to ignore the Svatos spiel because it sounds like Q trying to BS his decisions to the media. Frankly, when a coach is constantly changing up his lines, there really isn't a first line, second line, etc. There are players that get the important minutes and then there's the guys that play with them because the coach thinks playing with a good player might get more out of that player. Last year, you could say that Turgeon and Svatos were basically the second line in terms of their offense, but Q played Lappy and Laaksonen more minutes in a checking role than the supposed second line. Know what? I'm not your coach; figure it out yourself.

Your assertions regarding Stastny and Wolski are laughable. Stastny's been on the 2nd line the whole year huh? What have his minutes looked like even strength the past month or so? Is Rycroft some new scoring phenomenon which explains why he's often on Stastny's wing? Or maybe Rycroft has good speed and hustle to cover up for Stastny's lack of speed on the backcheck and the rush? No, Rycroft doesn't have speed or hustle, he's all hands. I guess it's just a mystery or perhaps a mirage because Colorado has been like a desert the past three weeks in terms of precipitation. Ya think? Well do ya?

And Wolski. You overwhelmed me with precise observations about Wolski's game. I never said he couldn't pass; I said he won't. He's a shooter first and if you think otherwise, you're fooling yourself at a level that is rarely reached. If Wolski carries the puck into the zone, he doesn't look for his teammates much. He instead will shoot the puck or try to make a move and then shoot the puck. I'm waiting for the day when the defenders start bodying Wolski up. If that happens (that should be "when it happens" but the NHL isn't what it used to be), Wolski will shrink. He has crappy balance for a guy his size, which is evidenced by how easily he's knocked down. When the puck's on his stick and he's leaning into a guy, he's fine. In open ice, his balance sucks. Combine that with how much his head is down while making yet another move and you have a glaring weakness that smarter defenders will eventually exploit.

Has Richardson been worse than Hejduk this year? I tend to think not. And Arnason, outside of the occasional flash, isn't much different than the Blackhawks Arnason. If you had a coach that based play on merit, Richardson could be in the top six of this team absolutely. You have an average team and outside of Sakic, there's no other forward that's really played at a consistently high level to warrant never moving from the top six forwards. However, Q doesn't play guys on merit, never has.

So no, I haven't followed the Avs this season. I check the stats and read a couple of three line scouting reports and then I present my opinions. That's how it's done right?
First of all Stastny has played with Wolski and Hejduk the most, and started playing with Rycroft when they scratched Wolski for that game against Vancouver. They clicked so the played them together little more. Stastny has the second most icetime of ANY forwards besides Sakic. Don't tell me it's all PK time. Now he's playing with Brunette and Hejduk. Hardly a fourth line if you ask me. As for Stastny's defensive play and backcheck I think you are severely misinformed. He's not the fastest skater but he is one of the more reliable forwards. Also what's with the "Ya think? Well do ya?", you need to settle down.

As for Wolski, is it really a bad thing that he's a shooter first? We could probably use a few more of them on are team if you ask me. Also how do you explain the something like 80 assists he put up in junior? Let me guess they were all from a rebound when he shot right? Give me a break. As for his balance he is still 20 years old and growing into his body. Let him fill out a bit more.

Has Richardson been worse than Hejduk this year? Well I'll take my chances with Hejduk. It's not going to help Hejduk if you put him on the fourth line. Richardson has regressed this year and especially since his injury. As for Arnason playing like the Blackhawks Arnason, you are dead wrong there. He hasn't put up th e points lately like the beginning of the year but he is showing good work eithic unlike when he was with Chicago.

And your comment on there being no other forward who's been consistent enough to play in the top six besides Sakic. How about Brunette? Second on the team in points? He went through one small dry spell and has been great ever since. Let me guess you'd take Richardson over him too right?

As for your last comment there I hope your not suggesting that is what I do. I think if you were to ask most of the fellow posters here they would tell you the opposite. Maybe your absence from this board was better for all of us.

Bam Beet* is offline  
Old
01-05-2007, 03:19 PM
  #57
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,463
vCash: 50
Tanguay Rules !

Bender is offline  
Old
01-05-2007, 03:35 PM
  #58
Avsboy
Cliche is GOAT
 
Avsboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,848
vCash: 500
Let me just say that I think Richardson has loads of potential to be the next Chris Drury, with a wicked shot, good defensive and offensive instincts, and speed. However, I think time in the AHL is a good thing considering what it did to Eric Staal's career, for example. Richardson will get his chance to shine soon, and being wasted on the 4th line instead of 1st line in the AHL would be a shame.

So the question is, did Richardson deserve to be put on the 4th line? I think so, and should not have been moved higher. At this point, Q seems to be shaping lines with players that compliment each other. Richardson, IMO, has not shown any clear defiency in his game. So, ultimately, he WILL be a great player soon (likely better than Wolski or Stantsy) but he just needs more time to develop his all-around game. You don't develop playing alongside Sakic or Brunette, there you're expected to produce any way possible. The little things don't matter, just PUT UP POINTS. That's not what Richardson needs to do now, and if he was given that role it would both ruin his confidence (he doesnt have the ability to produce so much YET) and halt his defensive game, among other things. Next year, I believe it will be a breakout year for him.

Guite, to me, is the betetr choice at the moment, because he is producing and is a power forward that can COMPLIMENT rather than dominate, like Richardson will soon be doing. Guite, if he's good, should be paired with hejduk. Guite might have the same effect that Wolski had on Hejduk.

Wolski - Sakic - Svatos
Brunette - Stasny - Turgeon
Mclean - Arnason - Lapperiere
Rycroft - Hejduk - Guite

Avsboy is online now  
Old
01-05-2007, 03:55 PM
  #59
Gumballhead
Registered User
 
Gumballhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy12345 View Post
Guite, to me, is the betetr choice at the moment, because he is producing and is a power forward that can COMPLIMENT rather than dominate, like Richardson will soon be doing.
Guite: Hey Milan, nice sweater.
Milan: Hey thanks, man.

The Avs went on to win 8-0.

Gumballhead is offline  
Old
01-05-2007, 04:00 PM
  #60
Avsboy
Cliche is GOAT
 
Avsboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Record Robot View Post
Guite: Hey Milan, nice sweater.
Milan: Hey thanks, man.

The Avs went on to win 8-0.
...


Avsboy is online now  
Old
01-05-2007, 04:16 PM
  #61
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
S'all Good, Man
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 13,597
vCash: 1640
I think the point was that it's "complement", not "compliment". And don't all their sweaters look pretty much alike?

Bubba Thudd is offline  
Old
01-05-2007, 04:21 PM
  #62
Drury_Sakic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I think the point was that it's "complement", not "compliment". And don't all their sweaters look pretty much alike?
"laughs out loud in middle of Library, endures glares as result"

Drury_Sakic is offline  
Old
01-05-2007, 04:32 PM
  #63
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,632
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Record Robot View Post
Guite: Hey Milan, nice sweater.
Milan: Hey thanks, man.

The Avs went on to win 8-0.
Unfortunately Hejduk probably still wouldn't score

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline  
Old
01-05-2007, 05:22 PM
  #64
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
S'all Good, Man
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 13,597
vCash: 1640
Now I have that Filter song -- "Hey Man Nice Shot" -- going through my head.

Bubba Thudd is offline  
Old
01-05-2007, 05:22 PM
  #65
Gumballhead
Registered User
 
Gumballhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I think the point was that it's "complement", not "compliment". And don't all their sweaters look pretty much alike?
I know, I am just a smart ***; I think I only noticed because it was in all caps. I just thought this thread could use something to loosen it up some.

And for some reason I imagine Milan wearing really ugly, Cosbyesque sweaters. Sorry, Duke.

Gumballhead is offline  
Old
01-05-2007, 11:06 PM
  #66
Golden Foppa
Registered User
 
Golden Foppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22's Ghost View Post
Q kills young forwards. Richardson is the prime guy he's killing at the moment (although Stastny is getting close to it as well; that would be more of a PR issue for the organization which I suspect is why Richardson went down). Let me tell you a brief little tale...

After watching Stastny tonight (Tampa Bay), I saw a young forward who was solid in all 3 zones and picked up a goal and two assists. He didn't look like a guy who is getting killed by coach Q.

Golden Foppa is offline  
Old
01-05-2007, 11:13 PM
  #67
ColoradoHockeyFan
Registered User
 
ColoradoHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver area
Country: United States
Posts: 9,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Foppa View Post
After watching Stastny tonight (Tampa Bay), I saw a young forward who was solid in all 3 zones and picked up a goal and two assists. He didn't look like a guy who is getting killed by coach Q.
No kidding. If Wolski being rookie of the month and Stastny blossoming the way he has are examples of Q "killing" our young forwards... then I hope he keeps "killing" them. I have my criticisms of the coaching staff (e.g., special teams), but this isn't one of them.

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline  
Old
01-06-2007, 12:33 AM
  #68
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 22,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22's Ghost View Post
I found myself in the neighborhood with just a little time and as I've recently had this conversation with someone, I thought I'd throw my wonderfully respected observation on this particular transaction out there for all you lowly Avs fans.

Q kills young forwards. Richardson is the prime guy he's killing at the moment (although Stastny is getting close to it as well; that would be more of a PR issue for the organization which I suspect is why Richardson went down). Let me tell you a brief little tale...

Everyone knows Craig Conroy now. But what was he when he was a Blue? A skill forward forced to play a 3rd/4th line checking center role. Something which Conroy's game isn't really tailored to. Yet Q kept him in that role from start to finish while Conroy was a Blue. Magically it seems, Conroy develops into a decent offensive player as soon as he moves on (to Calgary of all places).

Richardson is easily the best of the young Avs. He has solid instincts, good speed, great shot, works his *** off, and makes plays. He should be in a 2nd line role and is definitely perfect on the PK. His awareness and offensive ability make him the only real SH threat the Avs have (had I should say). Richardson is Conroy version II.

Wolski doesn't work hard and regardless of his recent scoring prowess, he still is a defensive liability. He's benefiting from playing with Sakic and Brunette for sure. Full credit to him that he's able to produce because it's not an easy thing and he has a good shot. But Wolski is essentially a one trick pony. As I said at rookie camp, he's essentially a hot dog. As long as he's putting the puck in the net, he has value. If and when his goals dry up, he'll just be a large kid afraid of being hit that won't pass the puck.

Stastny's minutes are likely greatly decreased at this point. Of late, most games he plays with the lower lines and is on the PP. That's a direct result of his poor footwork. He's been exposed defensively on many an occasion because of it. I like Stastny's smarts and passing, but he needs to move to wing. He will not survive at center. And he's moving down the Q ****list, a list that mainly includes the very occasional vet, but mostly kids.

Svatos is the funniest of the group to me. Last year, Q sat on his minutes in spite of Svatos being the most consistent scorer the Avs had. This year, Svatos struggles and Q is definitely not going to give him any minutes to break out of it. I've seen a number of games last year and this year; Svatos doesn't look any different outside of lost confidence. If it's something else, why doesn't Q fix it and give him the minutes a top scorer would naturally get? Why force a more ineffective Hejduk down everyone's throats? Because Hejduk takes more penalties?

So again, Q kills young forwards. I warned everyone when he came here that he does it and now he's doing it. He's a great coach for vets and defensemen. He ruins young forwards and goalies. Good luck with that.

Time to go so I leave with an analogy (which I'll dedicate to Ensane): Q's coaching of young forwards is like a lesbian at a circle jerk. Clueless.

While I agree Q isn't the best with young forwards, and I disagree with his move to demote Richardson, I can't really agree with you other points. He has actaully played the hell out of Stastny, and has even done so lately. Paul averages 17 minutes of ice time, and only Joe Sakic averages more ice time among forwards. In fact Stastny had the most ice time among forwards tonight against Tampa, more than Sakic, and in a one goal game. He regularly gets a good deal of both pk and pp time, and gets a lot of 5 on 5 time as well. Q also puts him out there for key draws. I don't disagree that Q is sometimes too critical of young players like he was with Svatos until reacently, but that simply isn't the case with Stastny.

I also disagree that Stastny's footwork is a problem. He's not fast, but I haven't noticed it causing any problems, even down low like you mentioned. In fact I think he along with Richardson and Sakic have probably been our best forwards in the defensive zone this year, even better than Lappy and Laaksonen who have both slipped somewhat in their play in the defensive zone. He uses his stick extremely well and has very good instincts. He's also a lot stronger than he looks and effectively pins his man against the boards extremely well. His positioning makes up for his average skating speed to the point where I don't see it as an issue at all. Since we both agree that Q has such a low tolerance for poor play in the defensive zone, even if you haven't seen how he's played, I think you could reasonably assume Stastny has played well in that area since he's regularly been among the ice time leaders all year.

As for Richardson, I would like to see him get more ice time too, but it's a numbers game. Q has been looking for line combos and the way they are right now, Richie is stuck on the fourth line. Sakic and Stastny are basically the top two centers, and the usually the same 4 wingers although they move around, and the third line has good chemisty with Arnasson Mclean and Lappy. If he's going to see time on the top lines he has to move to wing, and it's tough to put him there over guys like Brunette, Wolski, Svatos and Hejduk when they have such good chemistry with their linemates. That's not such a bad thing that he's on the fourth line right now anyway IMO. Plenty of players have played a lesser role early in their career, and he'll have his chance to get more ice time as some of the older players are cleared out next year.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
01-06-2007, 05:17 AM
  #69
12# Peter Bondra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Record Robot View Post
Guite: Hey Milan, nice sweater.
Milan: Hey thanks, man.

The Avs went on to win 8-0.

12# Peter Bondra is offline  
Old
01-06-2007, 10:38 AM
  #70
Super Berg
Registered User
 
Super Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 605
vCash: 500
Haven't been paying much attention to the Aves this year...ever since they lost Forsberg actually and I am out in TO which means Aves hardly ever comes to town.

They seem to have some good young guys, but all you hear about from the commentators and The Hockey News is Wolski and Statsny...never is Richardson mentioned. Just reading up on your post you guys seem to feel pretty strongly about Richardson...what is this guy all about? Does he have any skills?

Please enlighten this guy from TO.

Super Berg is offline  
Old
01-06-2007, 12:03 PM
  #71
Laperriere22*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CO
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic's-A-Legend View Post
First of all Stastny has played with Wolski and Hejduk the most, and started playing with Rycroft when they scratched Wolski for that game against Vancouver. They clicked so the played them together little more. Stastny has the second most icetime of ANY forwards besides Sakic. Don't tell me it's all PK time. Now he's playing with Brunette and Hejduk. Hardly a fourth line if you ask me. As for Stastny's defensive play and backcheck I think you are severely misinformed. He's not the fastest skater but he is one of the more reliable forwards. Also what's with the "Ya think? Well do ya?", you need to settle down.

As for Wolski, is it really a bad thing that he's a shooter first? We could probably use a few more of them on are team if you ask me. Also how do you explain the something like 80 assists he put up in junior? Let me guess they were all from a rebound when he shot right? Give me a break. As for his balance he is still 20 years old and growing into his body. Let him fill out a bit more.

Has Richardson been worse than Hejduk this year? Well I'll take my chances with Hejduk. It's not going to help Hejduk if you put him on the fourth line. Richardson has regressed this year and especially since his injury. As for Arnason playing like the Blackhawks Arnason, you are dead wrong there. He hasn't put up th e points lately like the beginning of the year but he is showing good work eithic unlike when he was with Chicago.

And your comment on there being no other forward who's been consistent enough to play in the top six besides Sakic. How about Brunette? Second on the team in points? He went through one small dry spell and has been great ever since. Let me guess you'd take Richardson over him too right?

As for your last comment there I hope your not suggesting that is what I do. I think if you were to ask most of the fellow posters here they would tell you the opposite. Maybe your absence from this board was better for all of us.
I don't really have the time or interest these days to argue such arguments. Truthfully, you don't have the capabilities of upsetting me so I have no need to "settle down" as you put it. I'm not saying you're an idiot or anything of the kind. But you're not arguing from a position of knowledge; that's why you're so quick to throw in stats and assertions based on some stat that fits your argument.

You defend Rycroft and Stastny by saying they "clicked". How so? You have Rycroft who has absolutely no finish playing with a kid that lacks speed and is generally a pure offensive player. You talk about his ice time. Where does he rank on the team in terms of even strength minutes? He's near the bottom and that's me being kind because he's been getting much less even strength minutes than most players the past month or so. So, if you value stats, then go ahead and check the average even strength minutes. I checked it out today and it confirms what I've seen. And I would imagine he's been getting much less than that per game the last month or so. Plus I know what I see on the backcheck. As I'll be telling another poster after I'm done with this response, I can't help that most fans don't see what I see. Stastny isn't an issue as far as his mind; it's a matter of getting to the puck and the man defensively that holds him back. He has hockey sense, but his skating prevents him from breaking up plays too often for my liking from a pro player.

Wolski? Again, you don't understand what kind of player he is. To make that point, you want me to join you in the "I don't watch games" side of the argument by speculating on his Brampton assist totals. If you know what a hot dog player is, you wouldn't even have to bring up his Battalion numbers. Like I said before, I'm not your coach (nor am I your mentor) and you would have to figure some things out for yourself. But that won't happen. Few people can move from their narrow-minded views about anything and one's favorite hockey team is something very few can separate the reality from the BS and hype.

What qualifies you to say Arnason's work ethic is better? You're a big Hawks fan right? I doubt it. What you meant to say is that his numbers are a bit better with the Avs but his work ethic hasn't changed much. The real difference is that his linemates are generally better than what he had in Chicago. His work ethic is not at all different. In order to compare Blackhawks Arnason to Avs Arnason, I would expect that you would have seen many a game of both. I don't believe you have; I believe that Arnason has scored a couple of specials goals, put up good numbers, and is on your favorite team.

That's all I have time for; I can't justify spending so much time on what I consider elementary arguments. I'm sure you'll be fine with that though.

Laperriere22* is offline  
Old
01-06-2007, 12:06 PM
  #72
Laperriere22*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CO
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Foppa View Post
After watching Stastny tonight (Tampa Bay), I saw a young forward who was solid in all 3 zones and picked up a goal and two assists. He didn't look like a guy who is getting killed by coach Q.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHockeyFan View Post
No kidding. If Wolski being rookie of the month and Stastny blossoming the way he has are examples of Q "killing" our young forwards... then I hope he keeps "killing" them. I have my criticisms of the coaching staff (e.g., special teams), but this isn't one of them.
Those are fabulous points. I defintely retract my statement about coach Q because one game and a rookie award disprove years of watching Q's coaching style. Thanks for the valuable input.

Laperriere22* is offline  
Old
01-06-2007, 12:10 PM
  #73
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
S'all Good, Man
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 13,597
vCash: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22's Ghost View Post
I don't really have the time or interest these days to argue such arguments.

That's all I have time for
Everything between those sentences is purely your opinion. That doesn't make it any more correct than anyone else's opinion. And for the sake of the cliche, you know what they say about opinions...

Bubba Thudd is offline  
Old
01-06-2007, 12:21 PM
  #74
ColoradoHockeyFan
Registered User
 
ColoradoHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver area
Country: United States
Posts: 9,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22's Ghost View Post
Those are fabulous points. I defintely retract my statement about coach Q because one game and a rookie award disprove years of watching Q's coaching style. Thanks for the valuable input.
Hey, you're free to ignore all of us morons that populate the board. You can just do what you usually do... you know, spout off a bunch of stuff and then disappear, not having to answer to any responses. It's a lot easier that way anyway, kind of like here:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=6...&postcount=154

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline  
Old
01-06-2007, 12:33 PM
  #75
Laperriere22*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CO
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
While I agree Q isn't the best with young forwards, and I disagree with his move to demote Richardson, I can't really agree with you other points. He has actaully played the hell out of Stastny, and has even done so lately. Paul averages 17 minutes of ice time, and only Joe Sakic averages more ice time among forwards. In fact Stastny had the most ice time among forwards tonight against Tampa, more than Sakic, and in a one goal game. He regularly gets a good deal of both pk and pp time, and gets a lot of 5 on 5 time as well. Q also puts him out there for key draws. I don't disagree that Q is sometimes too critical of young players like he was with Svatos until reacently, but that simply isn't the case with Stastny.

I also disagree that Stastny's footwork is a problem. He's not fast, but I haven't noticed it causing any problems, even down low like you mentioned. In fact I think he along with Richardson and Sakic have probably been our best forwards in the defensive zone this year, even better than Lappy and Laaksonen who have both slipped somewhat in their play in the defensive zone. He uses his stick extremely well and has very good instincts. He's also a lot stronger than he looks and effectively pins his man against the boards extremely well. His positioning makes up for his average skating speed to the point where I don't see it as an issue at all. Since we both agree that Q has such a low tolerance for poor play in the defensive zone, even if you haven't seen how he's played, I think you could reasonably assume Stastny has played well in that area since he's regularly been among the ice time leaders all year.

As for Richardson, I would like to see him get more ice time too, but it's a numbers game. Q has been looking for line combos and the way they are right now, Richie is stuck on the fourth line. Sakic and Stastny are basically the top two centers, and the usually the same 4 wingers although they move around, and the third line has good chemisty with Arnasson Mclean and Lappy. If he's going to see time on the top lines he has to move to wing, and it's tough to put him there over guys like Brunette, Wolski, Svatos and Hejduk when they have such good chemistry with their linemates. That's not such a bad thing that he's on the fourth line right now anyway IMO. Plenty of players have played a lesser role early in their career, and he'll have his chance to get more ice time as some of the older players are cleared out next year.
As stated above, look at Stastny's even strength time. Even if you want to use the average minutes for the year instead of just the past month's, it'll let you know how Q uses him. That should hopefully eliminate the "ice time equates to play" argument you were beginning. Q doesn't work like that. Stastny sees substantial minutes on specialty teams (I could try to make the argument that Stastny is a big part of one of the worst PK's in the league, but that would require me continuing the argument when you respond which I won't have the time or inclination to do).

And I'm not shocked that you don't see Stastny's shortcomings. Frankly, few posters see what I see in a hockey game. I never used to understand that because if I could see it, I couldn't understand how others couldn't. It is what it is and I've accepted it now. The names have changed over the years, but the arguments are generally the same. Skoula didn't used to suck in his own end, even when I pointed out his defensive shortcomings for years. A couple of years later, everyone's saying how bad the kid is defensively. But when I said it, I have KL babbling on about puck poise, turnover totals and his offensive output. It was all just me trying to slag the Avs. Same with Jeff Shantz and a number of other shoddy players the Avs have tried to put on the ice and tell everyone that that fecal aroma they smell isn't said player. Few seem to understand that I have issues with a number of players and have no problem saying so. Brewer is having the worst season I've seen from a supposed top 4 D in a decade. And the Blues board is going to tell me the same thing; I didn't see it so it's not true. Just like you said one season about Tanguay. And where's the person that called Vaananen a poor man's Foote? Or the asinine Oilers fan that tried to BS his way through MA Bergeron's major defensive shortcomings by providing offensive totals? Or the people that tried to explain how a rookie forward has it just as hard, if not harder, than a rookie defenseman playing top four on a so-so Predators team? There's no accountability for the BS that comes out of a poster's mouth and I just don't respect that kind of behavior.

Frankly, it's too mundane a way to spend my time. I left HF because of a major disagreement with some fools in "power", but it was easy to leave behind because there's nothing of value to argue any more. I speak from a position of good knowledge, analyzing the subtle things I see, and I argue based on that. The problem with that is most everybody counters that by saying they didn't see that so it must not be true. From there, my recourse inevitably becomes pointing out game by game what the subtle things are. I'm not a babysitter and far too often, it ended up being like that. I don't miss that at all.

Laperriere22* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.