HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Why does it take so much time for Carbo to change his lines?

Old
12-31-2006, 12:33 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Why does it take so much time for Carbo to change his lines?

Only against Tampa last night did he try making some changes. I know we've been winning but he's been anal about it. The second line hasn't been working for ages, why didn't he try changing it. Is it because he's superstitious? Because it doesn't make sens to not change a line if it doesn't work. When you have a problem, even if it's a small one-because the Habs were winning anyway-you fix it right away because it's going to come bite you in the *** soon enough. And that's what happening now.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 12:37 AM
One Trick Pony

Yeah, and when things go well (like the time it was samsonov-kovalev-perzhogin) it took him like 1-2 games to change it... but when things go bad for 30 games no he keeps the lines like they are..

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 12:41 AM
GSK*

He should first try to broke the line of Samsonov and Kovalev.

Samsonov on a line with Bonk and Johnson can't be so painful for him, he's doing nothing on the second line and he'll have the same ice time.

We need a centre our Higgins should take the spot (honestly I rather love him at LW)

Ryder vs Comrie straigh up !

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 12:44 AM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

It's crazy we have so many wingers but not many quality centers.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 12:45 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Iggins View Post
He should first try to broke the line of Samsonov and Kovalev.

Samsonov on a line with Bonk and Johnson can't be so painful for him, he's doing nothing on the second line and he'll have the same ice time.

We need a centre our Higgins should take the spot (honestly I rather love him at LW)

Ryder vs Comrie straigh up !
lol I don't know about Comrie, he seems pretty soft.

Just put Kovy on the first line with Saku. And Higgins on the second. So there's gonna be less lazy guys on the same line.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 03:07 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Yeah, and when things go well (like the time it was samsonov-kovalev-perzhogin) it took him like 1-2 games to change it... but when things go bad for 30 games no he keeps the lines like they are..
Things weren't going well with that line, it was downright painful to watch.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 09:01 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

I've been wondering the same thing...I can't understand for the life of me why he keeps Samsonov with Kovalev. Who cares if two lines seem to be working fine? Maybe it's possible to tweak things to end up with three lines that work even better? What's the harm in trying? It's not even as if our two "good" lines have been that good of late. They should revamp all our lines and give the guys a few practices with new linemates (as opposed to isolated shifts during a game when we're not in it).

I hate to say it, but it bothers me to hear some people saying that Carbo is a leading Jack Adams candidate this year. There are many more deserving coaches out there (e.g. Nolan). Carbo's not bad; he's probably the main reason there is a good vibe in the locker room. But tactically, he's not the greatest coach out there. The main reason the Habs have been successful is our special teams play, and everybody within the organization credits Kirk Muller for this success, not Guy Carbonneau.

Last edited by Slew Foots: 12-31-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 09:54 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Because we were winning?

When you have 2 of your top 3 lines going...do you risk breaking them up?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Because we were winning?

Yep, but I guess after these last two games, there are bound to be some changes.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 10:42 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Yep, but I guess after these last two games, there are bound to be some changes.
Actually Carbo changes lines throughout games frequently, even when we're winning.

Last game he swapped Bonk with Pleks to start the 3rd, so it's not like he's not bothering. He also knows that a lot of the time you have to give players time to gel together and be patient with them, and with last night's debaucle his patience has come to an end.

Old
12-31-2006, 10:55 AM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Things weren't going well with that line, it was downright painful to watch.
He didn't give him time! That's another thing, when the season started he made lines and didn't want to change them because he wanted to build chemistry. Now he keeps trying lines in a game but he tries them for like a period...

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 11:07 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Because we were winning?

I'm aware we were winning, but our second line's been inert all season pretty much.

It's naive to assume that we can rely on one line for offence all season long...eventually, teams were going to key in on the Koivu line. That's why good teams need at least two lines who are scoring threats. Fine, let's say the third line is great defensively, but they don't produce much in terms of offense. That leaves us with only one real scoring line...not good enough, IMO. Although we were winning, we were playing below our full potential. With the assets we have at the forward position, there's no reason why we couldn't conceivably have 2, maybe even 3, effective scoring lines. Carbo's done a poor job at optimizing asset utilization IMO.

There's no reason to panic right now, but we have lost 3 out of our last 4 games. Why did we have to wait until we string losses together before contemplating revamping the lines? Many people saw this problem a while ago...I'm sure Carbo saw it too. The fact of the matter is it's very shortsighted to wait until we string losses together to make a change when you knew about the problem much earlier.

If I see Carbo put Sammy and Kovy back together next game, I'm gonna blow a fuse. He's given them more than enough opportunities to gel; when will he accept that those two simply need to be on separate lines? My guess (or hope rather) is that Carbo's finally had enough of trying to make those two work together.

Old
01-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Bing bing.

Carbo must have wore his slappin' gloves the other day during practice.

Old
01-02-2007, 09:47 PM
CalHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post

There's no reason to panic right now, but we have lost 3 out of our last 4 games. Why did we have to wait until we string losses together before contemplating revamping the lines? Many people saw this problem a while ago...I'm sure Carbo saw it too. The fact of the matter is it's very shortsighted to wait until we string losses together to make a change when you knew about the problem much earlier.

If I see Carbo put Sammy and Kovy back together next game, I'm gonna blow a fuse. He's given them more than enough opportunities to gel; when will he accept that those two simply need to be on separate lines? My guess (or hope rather) is that Carbo's finally had enough of trying to make those two work together.
Lines were not revamped and our 2nd line produced big time tonight...
Sometimes, patience works.

CalHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 10:51 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalHabFan View Post
You're right but the problem is that our 2nd line has a big game one time every 15 games, that's not enough! We need more from them if we wanna go deep in the playoffs.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan View Post
You're right but the problem is that our 2nd line has a big game one time every 15 games, that's not enough! We need more from them if we wanna go deep in the playoffs.
And whats the reason for that. Just switching a Samsonov or Kovalev to the top line isn't going to do much if those guys aren't bringing more than once every 15 games.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:34 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
And whats the reason for that. Just switching a Samsonov or Kovalev to the top line isn't going to do much if those guys aren't bringing more than once every 15 games.
I agree, all I pointed out is that we need more out of thoses guys if we want to win a Cup. Kovalev shows up when it really matters, so I won't worry for now.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
like Kovalev said tonight in his post game "we need to keep it simple"

CJAD then asked pleks, why the sudden surge tonight? ... "Kovy told us for the first time this season to keep it simple"

carbo is doing his job, leave him alone. were 4th in the conferance, 5 points up[ on 5th with 3 games in hand, i dont see why ppl need to complain.

This team cud be 39-0-0 right now and some fan would still have something to argue.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Le Maroons

Didn't Bob say wait until January before judging Samsonov? It's January now, I'm looking forward to the good Samsonov...

Hmm...It could happen...

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalHabFan View Post
I'm very pleased by how the 2nd line played yesterday. I can only hope it wasn't just a one-game out of 10 type deal.

I still have my doubts about the long-term viability of this line, however...too inconsistent...one good game isn't enough to change my opinion. Hopefully, they can string 3-4 good games together...that would go a very long way towards convincing other skeptics like myself.

Old
01-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
I'm very pleased by how the 2nd line played yesterday. I can only hope it wasn't just a one-game out of 10 type deal.

I still have my doubts about the long-term viability of this line, however...too inconsistent...one good game isn't enough to change my opinion. Hopefully, they can string 3-4 good games together...that would go a very long way towards convincing other skeptics like myself.
I have a feeling it will take a lot more than that to convince most people on this board...

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristoHuet View Post
I have a feeling it will take a lot more than that to convince most people on this board...
Well said

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Fozz

Right now, I'm much more worried about Ryder than the second line...

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristoHuet View Post
and really after half a season of sub par play, do you blame them.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 10:16 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Because Carbo is playing them the hard way. He's forcing them to play hard..

What kind of messages does he send if he splits them now? Okay... you havent tried to make it work so we're breaking your line.

Nah. Try hard and if it doesnt work that way then of course we will change line.... but not before you give it a good try.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote