HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks speculation

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Butchered
Tampa=Boston South

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Butchered
Sharks speculation

Erik Erlendsson talks about the recent move by the Sharks, sending down Bernier and Carle to the minors, and also how Toskala would be an upgrade in net. Keep in mind he doesn't mention any specific activity, or even that the teams would be good trading partners, just making note of the transaction.

I'd love to do a deal to get all three of those guys (wishful thinking), or even Toskala and one of the youngsters, but it would take something huge, as Carle could easily be considered one of the top rookies this season, Bernier has huge talent, and Toskala is a talented goalie as well. Prospal and Fedotenko aren't going to bring in names like that. We'd need to be talking big 4 on the big club, or names like Ramo, Smaby, etc from our prospect pool.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sp...thing-brewing/

I actually do get the feeling a move is close. How minor or major it is, I don't know, but if we walk away without a win at the Wild, I think we'll be seeing some new names in Tampa sooner than later.

Old
01-03-2007, 05:05 PM
NickHanson

Send a message via AIM to NickHanson
I won't get excited till I see Nabokov arrive in Tampa. We've been tricked too many times.

Old
01-03-2007, 05:13 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
Much much rather have Toskala than Nabokov but I rather trade Prospal/Fedotenko/Sarich for youth, not trade for a goalie this season and wait for Ramo because this team isn't going anywhere.

Old
01-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Tokala

Erlendsson might be fishing? Toskala makes $1.375M this year. Bernier makes $850K and Carle's making $942K. San Jose cleared $1.79M by sending those 2 down. I don't see Toskala coming to Tampa unless Feaster can unload one of the three: Denis, Holmqvist, or Burke. He doesn't need another goalie riding pine in the minors. If Feaster's searching for a better goalie, he's going to have to dump a goalie. He can't afford to keep paying guys to not play.

I've looked for San Jose's total salary cap commitment, but haven't found it. Something just doesn't look right that a deal would be happening.

Old
01-03-2007, 05:51 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The XO Sniper View Post
Much much rather have Toskala than Nabokov but I rather trade Prospal/Fedotenko/Sarich for youth, not trade for a goalie this season and wait for Ramo because this team isn't going anywhere.
I would rather have Toskala also. I think he's better than Nabby right now so I think in a few years he'd be alot better. I also would love to see Bernier and Carle here. And I also think that this deal could get done. But I don't think San Jose needs any help right now in the form of Feds or Prospal so it would most certainly have a big 4 name attached to it. But I don't think they need Vinny right now as they are fairly loaded at center.

For these three guys right now I would say do it if there was a chance. Obviously this team needs some retooling and I don't think they are going anywhere right now anyway so if there is a chance to add some youth, then do it. Only downside I see is Torts ruining another above average goaltender.

In my view however, nothing with the Sharks happens. They are fine the way they are right now and will probably go fairly deep into the playoffs. And if the injury bug keeps biting the Ducks, they may just take a very deep run.

Old
01-03-2007, 05:51 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
Erlendsson might be fishing? Toskala makes $1.375M this year. Bernier makes $850K and Carle's making $942K. San Jose cleared $1.79M by sending those 2 down. I don't see Toskala coming to Tampa unless Feaster can unload one of the three: Denis, Holmqvist, or Burke. He doesn't need another goalie riding pine in the minors. If Feaster's searching for a better goalie, he's going to have to dump a goalie. He can't afford to keep paying guys to not play.

I've looked for San Jose's total salary cap commitment, but haven't found it. Something just doesn't look right that a deal would be happening.

I agree.

Old
01-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Butchered
Tampa=Boston South

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
I don't think the two teams are good trading partners, but Toskala is an upgrade over either guy we have in net right now, and both Carle and Bernier would fill needs on the squad (Carle on the blueline, and secondary scoring from Bernier). Getting any one of those 3 would help, especially if it were for the right price, but like I said before, it would take much more from Tampa to get any of them than I would like to see given up.

Old
01-03-2007, 06:25 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

If Feaster can get Carle we will be giving up either one of the big 3 or a combination of Ramo, 1st rounder, Smaby or Rogers.

It wont happen.

Old
01-03-2007, 06:32 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
If Feaster can get Carle we will be giving up either one of the big 3 or a combination of Ramo, 1st rounder, Smaby or Rogers.

It wont happen.
Ramo,a 1st AND Smaby or Rogers? That's a little overpayment, wouldn't you say? I could see Ramo and Smaby or Rogers but not all. If that were the case I'd say no either way.

Old
01-03-2007, 06:50 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich Fan View Post
Ramo,a 1st AND Smaby or Rogers? That's a little overpayment, wouldn't you say? I could see Ramo and Smaby or Rogers but not all. If that were the case I'd say no either way.
We would have to overpay to get Carle, he is that good.

If Feaster can get him for Ramo and Rogers/Smaby he should be signed to a contract extension and you know how I feel about Feaster.

Old
01-03-2007, 09:57 PM
The Camera Eye

I dont think people here realise the depth we have at goalie. Sure, we dont have a star #1 guy but we've been drafting goalies every year and we've stumbled on a few good ones. Remember, we drafted Riku Helenius 15th overall last draft and he is supposed to be developping into a legit #1 guy in the NHL.

He got injured last year and I know it takes at least 4 years for a rookie goalie to develop, but we cant be worried about giving up Ramo for good players simply because we would have another teams quality #1 goalie for 4-5 years until Helenius is ready. And not that I think SJ is a good option (it just doesnt seem like they are looking at a trade) but that goes for any team that we are likely to get a goalie from (weather its MTL, BUF or anyone).

Boutin just got AHL goalie of the month....he has shown he can be even better than Ramo and we have Coleman/Cey who are projected NHL backups. And dont forget Vasily Koshechkin who is a top Russian goaltender right now and another who is projected NHL starter (or at least good backup). IF we do make a trade and unload Denis, we shouldnt be affraid of giving up a goalie prospect because the depth.

And my whole take on this "trade situation", we NEED to unload one of the "big three". I dont care if Vinny is "your favorite player". Doing whats right for the team is getting depth and prospects...we have to look at the future. I love Vinny as much as the next guy, but we ALL know we arent going anywhere this season (maybe not even the playoffs) and with the way this team is going with the cap and the lack of depth on offense, the horrific D and without a true #1 goalie, it seems to me we should start trading guys that make 7 million a year for 2-3 guys who make 2.5 million each because we may not see playoffs for years.

The new NHL is all about depth...Carolina had it last year, Buffalo/Anaheim have it this year. Those teams have 4 lines capable of scoring, 6 D that arent the caliber of Richardson/Janik/Sarich/Pratt and a star goalie capable of making key saves. We arent going anywhere guys...not until Feaster makes something happen.

Old
01-04-2007, 10:33 AM
azsharkfan

To SJ: Boyle

To Tampa: Bernier and Clowe and 1st Rd. pick

Old
01-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

First of all, there is no way Carle is being traded. Bernier is in the same boat, but doesn't have as solid footing as Carle, if you know what I'm saying.

Second of all, there is no way San Jose is interested in any of the big 3, contract reasons for St. Louis, and there is no need for another center. The only deal I can see between SJ and Tampa involves a San Jose goalie and Lightning defenseman.

Toskala for Boyle?

Old
01-04-2007, 10:47 AM
missK

Toskala for Boyle doesn't address the need for a defensemen to replace Boyle.

Old
01-04-2007, 10:50 AM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

But it does address the need for a NHL goaltender with talent.

Old
01-04-2007, 12:32 PM
ImaPuckhead

Quote:
But it does address the need for a NHL goaltender with talent.
I am not so sure we need to replace a guy who consistantly passes the puck in our own end to the wrong team!

OK that is pure frustration but you get my point.

What about this - Holmer and Feds or Prospal for Toskala.

They would get a decent BU Goalie for about 1/2 of Toskala's salary and a decent winger. I would rather give up Prospal than Feds but we need goaltending ASAP or this season is over.

Old
01-04-2007, 02:36 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post
First of all, there is no way Carle is being traded. Bernier is in the same boat, but doesn't have as solid footing as Carle, if you know what I'm saying.

Second of all, there is no way San Jose is interested in any of the big 3, contract reasons for St. Louis, and there is no need for another center. The only deal I can see between SJ and Tampa involves a San Jose goalie and Lightning defenseman.

Toskala for Boyle?

I think we all know that no deal involving Carle or Bernier is going to happen and I think we all know San Jose isn't interested in any of the big 3. It's kinda obvious that you guys are in an excellent position to make a very deep playoff run and personally, I hope you do. I love watching the Sharks.

Now, Toskala for Boyle????? Where the **** do I sign my friend?

Old
01-04-2007, 02:39 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPuckhead View Post
I am not so sure we need to replace a guy who consistantly passes the puck in our own end to the wrong team!

OK that is pure frustration but you get my point.

What about this - Holmer and Feds or Prospal for Toskala.

They would get a decent BU Goalie for about 1/2 of Toskala's salary and a decent winger. I would rather give up Prospal than Feds but we need goaltending ASAP or this season is over.
The season more than likely is over already anyway so why not send Dan Boyle away with it? I for one would not lose a wink of sleep.

Old
01-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
I think we all know that no deal involving Carle or Bernier is going to happen and I think we all know San Jose isn't interested in any of the big 3. It's kinda obvious that you guys are in an excellent position to make a very deep playoff run and personally, I hope you do. I love watching the Sharks.

Now, Toskala for Boyle????? Where the **** do I sign my friend?
Has Boyle really been that bad? Well I guess that shows you how much Lightning hockey I watch.

Old
01-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Has Boyle really been that bad? Well I guess that shows you how much Lightning hockey I watch.
No, just a few people on this board don't like him.

Old
01-05-2007, 04:46 AM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
No, just a few people on this board don't like him.
That's a matter of opinion. I think he's been horrible for the most part.

Old
01-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Tokala

Quote:
He makes a great winger.

Old
01-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
That's a matter of opinion. I think he's been horrible for the most part.
I can deal with some of Boyle's mistakes if he produces offensively. That's his game, not to be a Scott Stevens in his own zone. The problem with Boyle is that he should be playing 22-24 minutes a night instead of 30. He played 23 minutes last night and surprise he played well.

Old
01-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Tbboltfan4

Send a message via AIM to Tbboltfan4 Send a message via Yahoo to Tbboltfan4
Horrible? He's been our best defenseman this year, and I would lose sleep if we lost him. I wouldn't want anyone else in the league quarterbacking our PP and starting the rush from the D-line, and i'll stand by that for as long as we have him, which will be longer than some of you hope...

Old
01-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Gopper

Can you imagine how much bad our defense will be if we lose Boyle?

Closed Thread