HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Proposal- Edm-Nsh

Old
01-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Hemsky4PM

vCash: 500
Trade Proposal- Edm-Nsh

Nashville has a stockpile of young talented d-men. Timonen is a UFA after the season, but I'm sure the Preds want to keep him. That means Kaberle type money for him, between 4.5-5M per season. They have Hamhuis, Weber and Suter already in their line-up with Parent and Franson on the horizon. So I propose taking a long look at Marek Zidlicky.

Zids is signed for 3 more seasons, 3.2, 3.5 and 3.5. He's making 3.2 this season. He's not having as strong an offensive season this season as he's had in the past, but could be an ideal PP guy for the Oilers.

So, what about Lupul straight up for Zidlicky? The Oilers could then look at another defenseman (say Sopel or Brewer) and a rental forward to take Lupul's spot (like Fedotenko, Modin, Roberts, ect.), maybe they could even move Tjarnqvist for Fedotenko to bolster the Lightning's defense. Zidlicky isn't a guy who's name has come up too ofter, but he's produced good numbers in his career and the Preds are in a bind to keep Timonen.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Cerebral

The Predators are already stacked in terms of forward depth, why would they move a defenceman for yet another forward? I get the sense that Nashville might be interested in another veteran defenceman but I doubt they'd move Zidlicky for Lupul given their depth.

01-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
The Predators are already stacked in terms of forward depth, why would they move a defenceman for yet another forward? I get the sense that Nashville might be interested in another veteran defenceman but I doubt they'd move Zidlicky for Lupul given their depth.
Well, the reasoning would be that Hartnell, Kariya and Vasicek are UFA's next season.

I do see your point though. Maybe the Preds would be interested in Tjarnqvist a prospect and a pick for Zidlicky? For the Preds it's primarily a money move for the future.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I agree with Cerebral. They're probably looking at acquiring a "shutdown" d-man, someone in the mold of McKee.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Maybe the Preds would be interested in Tjarnqvist a prospect and a pick for Zidlicky? For the Preds it's primarily a money move for the future.
I doubt it, they could likely dump Zidlicky for a far better return if they're concerned about cap room for next season. We could certainly offer them Lupul in the off-season if Hartnell, Kariya and Vasicek leave town but I don't seem them moving Zidlicky right now unless they're getting back a quality veteran defenceman.

Cerebral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 06:30 PM
BleedingOil

We won't be able to pry out any Nashville defenceman IMO. They don't need a forward.

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 06:41 PM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1159
I know it doesn't help right now but I hope the Oil make a push for Hartnell as a free agent. He would look great in Copper and Blue.

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 07:16 PM
schreibkrampf
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Nashville has a stockpile of young talented d-men. Timonen is a UFA after the season, but I'm sure the Preds want to keep him. That means Kaberle type money for him, between 4.5-5M per season. They have Hamhuis, Weber and Suter already in their line-up with Parent and Franson on the horizon. So I propose taking a long look at Marek Zidlicky.

Zids is signed for 3 more seasons, 3.2, 3.5 and 3.5. He's making 3.2 this season. He's not having as strong an offensive season this season as he's had in the past, but could be an ideal PP guy for the Oilers.

So, what about Lupul straight up for Zidlicky? The Oilers could then look at another defenseman (say Sopel or Brewer) and a rental forward to take Lupul's spot (like Fedotenko, Modin, Roberts, ect.), maybe they could even move Tjarnqvist for Fedotenko to bolster the Lightning's defense. Zidlicky isn't a guy who's name has come up too ofter, but he's produced good numbers in his career and the Preds are in a bind to keep Timonen.
I think Zidlicky would be a good fit for our team as well.

I liked your ideas/proposal until you mentioned Sopel and Brewer in the same sentence (brackets).

Yes, Brewer is an upgrade over what we have but he wont solve our d problems.

But even more of a stretch is when you mentioned Sopel. Sopel is not the answer to our defensive problems ... he may be one of the most error-proned defenseman in the NHL I would rather have a pair of Shaggy's (Daniel T's.) on my team than one Sopel.

schreibkrampf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSportsBeat View Post
I think Zidlicky would be a good fit for our team as well.

I liked your ideas/proposal until you mentioned Sopel and Brewer in the same sentence (brackets).

Yes, Brewer is an upgrade over what we have but he wont solve our d problems.

But even more of a stretch is when you mentioned Sopel. Sopel is not the answer to our defensive problems ... he may be one of the most error-proned defenseman in the NHL I would rather have a pair of Shaggy's (Daniel T's.) on my team than one Sopel.
I'm not sure about your assesment of Sopel. I lived in Van when he was a Canuck and watched him an awful lot. I thought he was a pretty solid 2 way defenceman, though I know he's struggled of late. I think KLowe and Huddy could get him turned around and he could be the 3-4 guy we need. Then we just have to find a 1-2 guy for gator and we're gold!

01-03-2007, 08:05 PM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Nashville is a contender guys. Not just for the playoffs but for the cup. Forget it.

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 08:37 PM
schreibkrampf
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I'm not sure about your assesment of Sopel. I lived in Van when he was a Canuck and watched him an awful lot. I thought he was a pretty solid 2 way defenceman, though I know he's struggled of late. I think KLowe and Huddy could get him turned around and he could be the 3-4 guy we need. Then we just have to find a 1-2 guy for gator and we're gold!
I too lived in Vancouver when he was a Canuck and you could always count on him to make a gaffe that would cost the Canucks a game. I just don't have a good feeling about him at all.

Old
01-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSportsBeat View Post
I too lived in Vancouver when he was a Canuck and you could always count on him to make a gaffe that would cost the Canucks a game. I just don't have a good feeling about him at all.
All defenceman make mistakes... I think when you have it in for someone, you just notice them more. Not to say you do. IMO Jovanovski made way more mistakes than Brent.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 08:51 PM
schreibkrampf
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
All defenceman make mistakes... I think when you have it in for someone, you just notice them more. Not to say you do. IMO Jovanovski made way more mistakes than Brent.
We can both agree that JOVO made way more mistakes !!! lol