HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wilkes Barre-Scranton Penguins 2006-2007 GDT's Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Wolfpack

vCash: 500
I'm not certain how strong of a "coach" Buchberger is... but the organization obviously has enough confidence in him to make him part of their player development team. The one thing I like about that is that Buchberger was a late round draft choice drafted for his toughness who worked his butt off to become a better skater. You could actually SEE the improvement in his skating from year-to-year. It resulted in him becoming a pretty decent penalty killer and having a long NHL career.

I know they are completely different types of players, but if anyone can get across to Schremp the importance of improving your skating, it should be Buchberger. I just hope his motivational skills are up to snuff so he can get through to Schremp. Schremp's underwhelming play this year is definitely concerning.

Old
01-09-2007, 10:55 AM
ThememanXX
It's a hockey night!

Send a message via AIM to ThememanXX
For info on the Baby Pens without the puckbunny side of things (found on their official website)....come check out http://binghamtonhockey.net/bingotalk2/index.php and register for some great discussion for fans of the Bears, Phantoms, Senators, and Penguins. Sick of your boards? This will help your fix for I-81 corridor hockey. Moderated by myself (WB/S) and Bob Howard (Bingo)....we welcome fans of all teams....and more importantly, fans of the sport. This board will be a great resource for info on the Pens, Sens, and their rivals. Register and say hello...then stick around.

Old
01-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Bryanbryoil

Even in WBS Schremp's mind is on the Oil...

http://www.wbspenguins.com/galleries...c/DSCF3487.htm

Schremp and Penner at a youth hockey clinic

01-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Bryanbryoil

Brodziak starts off the way he ended the last game HOT!!! Scores the lone goal in the 1st 1-0 WBS. Schremp and Pouliot are shot-less thru 1 and Mikhnov has 2 shots while JFJ has 1. JDD in net.

Old
01-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Cerebral

Did JDD make the AHL All-Star game? He decent deserves it based on his play so far this year.

Edit: I just looked it up and it looks like he didn't make the team. Stat-wise, it looks like he probably deserves to be there.

01-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Bryanbryoil

2nd Period BBO PBP. Nice to listen to a full house of Oilers prospects in WBS. Mikhnov and Pouliot are out on the PP. Kennedy and Glenn also out for WBS. Pouliot out with Carcillo. I'll do the best that I can to get the line combos correct. Brathwaite in net for the Wolves, there's a blast from the past!!! Schremp wins the draw but somehow Chicago gets a break-away. JFJ hustled back to try and prevent the break-away almost worth of a penalty shot. Nice to see Jacques on a line with Schremp, too bad that it resulted in a penalty. Brodziak out on the PK. Brodziak pressuring nicely, one of the Pens with a cross-check resulting in a 5 on 3. Sculny with the penalty. JDD with a save that went right into his chest. Sounds like a great job of positioning. Chicago has scored a PP goal in 14 of their last 15 games. 10 secs left in the 5 on 3. Save by JDD on a slapper, then cleared Jacques out of the box. Jacques down in the corner killing time in the Pens offensive zone on the PK. Penalties over. Brodziak loses the puck. Jacques with a big hit. Schremp out with Lannon, 12:45 left in the 2nd. Mikhnov in, Schremp with a tip pass in front to Mikhnov, Schremp to the point, Schremp and Mikhnov 2 on 1 puck ends up on net. but no shot by the sounds of it as Schremp sounded like he was trying to get around the d-man. Jacques tips a puck to negate icing, Pouliot lays out a hit. Pouliot tried to lead out Filewich, Jacques with a shot. This line should be dominant. 10:19 left in the 2nd. Jacques out again, this time with Kennedy and Brodziak. Jacques has been getting a pile of PT so far tonight. Likely right up there with Brodziak in terms of TOI. Schremp and Mikhnov fore-checking, Schremp was wroking from behind the net but his centering pass was taken away by the D. Penalty to Chicago. Pouliot could've had a goal if he lifted the puck. Mikhnov also out on the PP. Mikhnov knocked down in front. 7:18 left in the 2nd. Schremp and Jacques out. Schremp gains the blue-line and lobs it on. Mikhnov still out. Brodziak to Schremp. One-timer by Brodziak, Schremp to Filewich in front, save by Brathwaite. Sounds like Schremp is playing pretty well and getting some chances for his teammates tonight. Hopefully Schremp will raise the level of his play now that he has more competition up front for playing time from Pouliot and JFJ. 5:41 left in the 2nd. Sounds like JDD is doing a great job going post to post. Delayed penalty to the Pens, rebound off of the post as JDD gets some help from the iron. Dupont with the penalty. Brodziak killing time, fore-checking, 3:38 left in the period 58 tics left in the PK. JDD fails to glove a puck, still in WBS' zone. 20 left in the PK, Pens coming out with 8 seconds left in the PK, penalty over. 2:30 left in the 2nd. Jacques dishes out a hit, JDD with a nice save on a wrister but didn't contoll the rebound very well on that tough shot. No resulting shot however on that rebound. Jacques still out, sounds like he's been getting double shifted. Pouliot out with Kennedy and Jacques. 1:00 left in the 2nd. Brodziak out with Filewich. 10 tics left in the 2nd. End of the 2nd. Still 1-0 WBS.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 01-12-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old
01-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Did JDD make the AHL All-Star game? He decent deserves it based on his play so far this year.

Edit: I just looked it up and it looks like he didn't make the team. Stat-wise, it looks like he probably deserves to be there.
Probably a lack of games played as well as the fact that some may feel that his stats are padded on such a strong team???

Old
01-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Bryanbryoil

3rd Period PBP...

20-18 shots in favor of the Wolves at the start of the 3rd. Brodziak with Kennedy and Jacques. Jacques with a tip pass to Brodziak. 18:28 left in the 3rd. Mikhnov out with Filewich, Pouliot out with Mikhnov, icing on Chicago. Schremp loses the draw. 2 on 1 for Chicago. Carcillo out, slashing penalty to the Pens. Carcillo with the penalty. Chicago's 6th PP coming up. 1:25 left in the PK. 50 seconds left in the PK, JDD with a good save and then the net comes off. JDD lost sight of the puck, and it went off of his skate. Pouliot with Brodziak on a 2 on 1 SH goes off of Brathwaite. Penalty over. Brahwaite owning the lower portion of the net tonight, but not recovering quickly after he goes down on the initial save. Schremp out, Schremp to Jacques intercepted. Schremp clears the zone, Chicago now with the puck. Jacques gets dumped. Mikhnov out with Pouliot, Chicago breaks it out. Mikhnov's shot deflected over the net. Mikhnov screening the goalie while a Pens player fires a shot that is saved. Pouliot loses the draw, JDD makes a great save on a 2 on 1 and then makes another save on the rebound. Mikhnov out with Filewich, Brodziak out, Jacques now out, 10:45 left in the 3rd. 10:29 to go. Schremp out, Stickhandles away from 2 Wolves and then passes it to James, Pouliot out with Filewich, another penalty to the Pens. 9:13 left in the 3rd. Lannon with an interference penalty. Brodziak gets the puck out, delayed call on the Pens. 1:11 of a 5 on 3 PP, the Pens are playing with fire tonight. 8:24 left in the 3rd. JDD with a nice save sliding across the crease on a tic-tac-toe play by Chicago. 26th shot by Chicago. JDD with a save that went into his neck. 17 seconds left on the 5 on 3, Brodziak loses the draw, now 5 on
4, 38 seconds left on the 2nd penalty. They're playing Crazy Train in the back-ground!!! I wonder if JFJ gets a kick when he hears that song??? 11 seconds left in the PP. PP over, Schremp picks up the puck, Schremp with a quick move, 5:00 left in the 3rd, Pouliot with Mikhnov, pass gets broken up, Pouliot with the puck, Mikhnov passes to the point. Brodziak with a wrister, Jacques with the puck, back with Kennedy and Brodziak, Jacques with a hit, 3:40 left in the 3rd, Jacques with the puck, Brathwaite covers up the puck. 2:28 left, 1:45 left, Brathwaite pulled, 1:34 to go, 1:10 to go, 1:00, Carchner shoots but misses the empty net resulting in icing. Chicago time-out. Pouliot on the draw, 30 seconds left, another icing call. Jacques pokes the puck down, and it doesn't go down to the goal line so no icing, Brodziak fires the puck wide of teh empty net, Chicago can't touch it up in time game over. 29saves for JDD and his 2nd Shut-out of the season. First SO against Chicago in 74games dating back to Feb. 4th of last year. Brodziak with the 3rd Star Brathwaite with the 2nd Star and JDD with the 1st Star. Final 1-0 WBS

Old
01-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Spawn

The one thing that really concerns me about Schremp is his shot totals, for a guy who supposedly had the best shot in the juniors last year, he is averaging under 2 per game, is he hurt or something? I donno, but its very concerning...

Old
01-13-2007, 10:32 AM
ThememanXX
It's a hockey night!

Send a message via AIM to ThememanXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The one thing that really concerns me about Schremp is his shot totals, for a guy who supposedly had the best shot in the juniors last year, he is averaging under 2 per game, is he hurt or something? I donno, but its very concerning...
That's my biggest concern with him. Seems like he's trying TOO hard not to be selfish. He makes dumb passes at times, but if they connect, they're brilliant. The kid needs to use his shot to his advantage.

Old
01-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Cerebral

Jacques and Brodziak both have assists on the Wilkes-Barre goal but JDD let in two in the first period.

Old
01-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

End of the 2nd period, and Jacques has 2 assists now as WBS tied it to make the score 2-2.

JDD stood tall in the 2nd, WBS was outshot 16-4 but he didn't let anything get by him.

Old
01-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
End of the 2nd period, and Jacques has 2 assists now as WBS tied it to make the score 2-2.

JDD stood tall in the 2nd, WBS was outshot 16-4 but he didn't let anything get by him.
Did JFJ get thrown out? he's got 16 PIM, 2 for ref abuse and 10 min misconduct.

Old
01-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Did JFJ get thrown out? he's got 16 PIM, 2 for ref abuse and 10 min misconduct.
That must've been an error, because it was just changed to show Wade Skolney taking those penalties.

Old
01-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Nearly 5 minutes into this 3rd period, and Schremp's line so far?

0 points, 0 shots, -1.

If he fails to even get a shot on this for the remainder of this game, that'll be 3 consecutive games without even a shot on goal. These last 10 games, he's really struggled.

Old
01-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Nearly 5 minutes into this 3rd period, and Schremp's line so far?

0 points, 0 shots, -1.

If he fails to even get a shot on this for the remainder of this game, that'll be 3 consecutive games without even a shot on goal. These last 10 games, he's really struggled.
What makes it even more disappointing is that a prospect many deem far "inferior" in terms of offensive potential manages to absolutely dominate at this level.

Old
01-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

WBS tied it in the 3rd, Mikhnov with an assist.

OT solved nothing, on to the shootout.

Old
01-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
WBS tied it in the 3rd, Mikhnov with an assist.

OT solved nothing, on to the shootout.
35 saves so far for JDD! This really could end up being a career-saving season for JDD, he has a solid shot at being the backup next year in Edmonton with Markkanen becoming an unrestricted free agent.

Ouch, first three Wilkes-Barre shooters don't score (Schremp and Pouliot amongst them) while the first three for Grand Rapids all score.

Old
01-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Bryanbryoil

This is why I'd like to see Schremp on another team, he needs to be a "go-to guy" not a guy that plays 3rd or 4th line minutes. How is this going to help him to become NHL ready relatively soon??? IMO move him to a team like Grand Rapids or Hamilton and send one of our defensive guys to WBS. I'm beyond excuses already, the kid just needs to play, make it happen K. Lowe, Richards has done what he can with the kid, and he simply will not get top 6 minutes with this team and this coach. Time to put an end on Schremp's WBS chapter.

Old
01-13-2007, 09:35 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
This is why I'd like to see Schremp on another team, he needs to be a "go-to guy" not a guy that plays 3rd or 4th line minutes. How is this going to help him to become NHL ready relatively soon??? IMO move him to a team like Grand Rapids or Hamilton and send one of our defensive guys to WBS. I'm beyond excuses already, the kid just needs to play, make it happen K. Lowe, Richards has done what he can with the kid, and he simply will not get top 6 minutes with this team and this coach. Time to put an end on Schremp's WBS chapter.
But the other argument is, if he was a blue chip prospect, put him on any line, and he'll succeed. For example Nashville put Radulov in the 3rd or 4th line and he still got a fair few goals (i know not a air comparison, but all i could come up with). Schremp needs to do/try better on any line, even if it means firing shots randomly, this kid is really dissapointing me, i had really high hopes for him..

EDIT: i'm not giving up on him, but i really want his first season in the AHL to be really dominant, i could/want him to slot in for Sykora next year, looks like my pipe dream wont happen....

Last edited by McOilbleeder: 01-13-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old
01-13-2007, 09:37 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
people are just way to hard on Schremp

he was a late first round pick

it is obvious he dropped for several reasons

give him time

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old
01-13-2007, 10:02 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup Schremp is just a project. I thought he was going to be ready, but I think skipping that skating camp really killed his season. When he had that stride after camp he potted 40p+ in his first 10 games back. His stride slowly slide back to what it is now, which is painfully insufficient for even AHL success.

I think this season is pretty much a write off for him. Until he gets his skating back to last preseason level, he won't be an offensive pro player.

Hire McLellan Draft McDavid. Solidify the D and G
Old
01-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
This is beginning to sound like Jani Rita Part Deux to me. Stop making excuses for the kid, he's not playing well down in Wilkes-Barre and he's flat out not performing at a high enough level to deserve more icetime.

Old
01-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
This is beginning to sound like Jani Rita Part Deux to me. Stop making excuses for the kid, he's not playing well down in Wilkes-Barre and he's flat out not performing at a high enough level to deserve more icetime.
Un-like Jani Rita or MAP, etc, he is playing on a stacked team up front. His confidence is in the crapper, he started out fairly well offensively 14 points in 15 games I believe, ever since then it's been a downhill spiral offensively. He will likely get scratched next game, and I fail to see how he is going to turn it around when his confidence and game is in the crapper and he has limited minutes to do so. I'm not saying that he is free of guilt, but the bottom line is that he needs playing time. On a weaker team he would be getting more of it, and against better opposition. It's time to do whatever is neccesary to get him going again, being nearly a PPG player in the NHL pre-season and for the first 15 games of the AHL season and then being no-where near one now is a major concern. He needs a new team with a bigger offensive responsibility and more ice-time, if not he is this years version of JDD IMO.

Old
01-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Un-like Jani Rita or MAP, etc, he is playing on a stacked team up front.
I don't think Wilkes-Barre is any more stacked at this point than the split-squad Hamilton teams were in the past. Certainly Wilkes-Barre started off with guys like Christensen, Stone and Talbot but there are far fewer marquee guys down there now and Schremp needs to be able to beat out a few of them for icetime. Using Wilkes-Barre's "depth" as an argument is weak in my view - Schremp isn't battling against a lot of bluechip guys down there and he's still losing out.

Rita had to battle with Sarno, Brown, Swanson, Chimera and Pisani his first year for icetime and then Ward, Pisani, Ryder, Gratton, Stoll, Plekanec, Torres, Balez, Salmelainen and Hossa the next year - if anything, Hamilton was far more stacked.

I've seen this scene played out a million times in the past - a decent prospect is struggling, his icetime is reduced and fans argue that he needs to be playing tons of minutes to develop. The bottom line for me is that Schremp does not deserve more minutes - Brodziak started out down the depth chart but he battled for his minutes. Granted Schremp is younger but it's an important lesson to learn IMO.

Closed Thread