HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wilkes Barre-Scranton Penguins 2006-2007 GDT's Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2007, 02:18 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Un-like Jani Rita or MAP, etc, he is playing on a stacked team up front. His confidence is in the crapper, he started out fairly well offensively 14 points in 15 games I believe, ever since then it's been a downhill spiral offensively. He will likely get scratched next game, and I fail to see how he is going to turn it around when his confidence and game is in the crapper and he has limited minutes to do so. I'm not saying that he is free of guilt, but the bottom line is that he needs playing time.
You have just described the dilemma that virtually every hockey player has gone thorugh at one time or another. Not playing well enough to get enough ice time and not getting enough ice time to play well. This all boils down to Schremp and how bad he wants it...thats the only way to play yourself out of the dog house. I was never convinced that Schremp was going to be an NHL regular much less a star because he was a one trick pony in the CHL and usually that doesn't translate very well in the NHL. I would love to be wrong and it is far to early to give up on the kid but he has some growing up to do. When you're told (by people who know) that your skating isn't good enough, you bust your balls to make sure it is better than it needs to be....not quit and say you think it is okay as it is. A 20 year old kid who thinks he knows more about what it takes to skate in the NHL than Oiler/WBS management...and he wonders why people talk about his attitude. Now he is (by all reports) struggling with his skating at the AHL level which has impacted his ability to create offence and your solution is to find another team for him.
I am suggesting that the issue is with Robbie himself and not his enviroment and unless he realizes that he will be a waste of a 1st round pick IMO.

Old
01-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I don't think Wilkes-Barre is any more stacked at this point than the split-squad Hamilton teams were in the past. Certainly Wilkes-Barre started off with guys like Christensen, Stone and Talbot but there are far fewer marquee guys down there now and Schremp needs to be able to beat out a few of them for icetime. Using Wilkes-Barre's "depth" as an argument is weak in my view - Schremp isn't battling against a lot of bluechip guys down there and he's still losing out.

Rita had to battle with Sarno, Brown, Swanson, Chimera and Pisani his first year for icetime
For the record how old was Rita when he came over??? He also played in a mens league prior to coming over, that makes a world of difference. Sarno and Swanson were both centers so basically he had to battle Brown, Chimera, and Pisani for ice-time and I also believe that at the tiem it was an all Oilers AHL team. He had it much easier in his first season. The 2nd season IMO is meaningless because Schremp isn't in his 2nd season. I'm not saying that Robbie isn't at all at fault here, I'm just saying that it sounds like it'd be best if he moved on from the current stuation.

01-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
You have just described the dilemma that virtually every hockey player has gone thorugh at one time or another. Not playing well enough to get enough ice time and not getting enough ice time to play well. This all boils down to Schremp and how bad he wants it...thats the only way to play yourself out of the dog house. I was never convinced that Schremp was going to be an NHL regular much less a star because he was a one trick pony in the CHL and usually that doesn't translate very well in the NHL. I would love to be wrong and it is far to early to give up on the kid but he has some growing up to do. When you're told (by people who know) that your skating isn't good enough, you bust your balls to make sure it is better than it needs to be....not quit and say you think it is okay as it is. A 20 year old kid who thinks he knows more about what it takes to skate in the NHL than Oiler/WBS management...and he wonders why people talk about his attitude. Now he is (by all reports) struggling with his skating at the AHL level which has impacted his ability to create offence and your solution is to find another team for him.
I am suggesting that the issue is with Robbie himself and not his enviroment and unless he realizes that he will be a waste of a 1st round pick IMO.
Fair enough, but IMO the only way to improve as a skater is to skate, he isn't getting much time to do that on game-days. That said, it is up to Robbie to get his game going. Again though, IMO this situation isn't the best one for him at this time. I could very well be wrong, but I'm just tired of the same old thing game after game. By most accounts he has gotten better defensively, but his skating needs work and his offense has dried up. WBS' PP hasn't been that great lately, yet Schremp still doesn't get much time there. IMO it's a situation where the pens are getting jipped by not getting what was advertised, and Schremp is getting jipped in terms of playing time. IMO the Oilers, Schremp, and WBS, as well as the fans shouldn't grow accustomed to him not contributing. It is un-acceptable all the way around.

Old
01-14-2007, 02:41 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 135
Quote:
Fair enough, but IMO the only way to improve as a skater is to skate, he isn't getting much time to do that on game-days. That said, it is up to Robbie to get his game going. Again though, IMO this situation isn't the best one for him at this time. I could very well be wrong, but I'm just tired of the same old thing game after game. By most accounts he has gotten better defensively, but his skating needs work and his offense has dried up. WBS' PP hasn't been that great lately, yet Schremp still doesn't get much time there. IMO it's a situation where the pens are getting jipped by not getting what was advertised, and Schremp is getting jipped in terms of playing time. IMO the Oilers, Schremp, and WBS, as well as the fans shouldn't grow accustomed to him not contributing. It is un-acceptable all the way around.
I am not so sure that ice time during a game is when he should be working on his skating. This is something he needs to do in addition to practice and game time...something to be done on his personal time. Something that would also act as a statement to management that he is willing to do anything to improve his game. How refreshing would that be?

Old
01-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Cerebral

Do you guys honestly think Schremp can improve his skating at this point? I know there are stories out there about guys improving their skating ability later in their career but I wouldn't be shocked if what you see is what you get in regards to Schremp's skating ability. I'm of the opinion that the improvement in his stride while with London was a bit overblown, a few people thought he had improved but a number of London fans also stated at that time that they didn't really notice a difference.

Schremp's known for his entire career that his skating ability is the one big deficiency in his game and he still hasn't improved it. I'm as optimistic as anyone on this board but I'm not all that confident that Schremp is going to develop into a better skater any time soon.

01-14-2007, 02:51 PM
dubya

Quote:
I don't think the Oil can create a precedent by moving Schremp if he's not doing well. They wouldn't for any other prospect, so why does Schremp deserve that special treatment? Honestly, he's looking more like Peter Sarno than Ales Hemsky right now, so until HE shows the Oilers brass something I think they should leave it alone. He's been given an opportunity, it's his responsibility to do something with whatever ice time he's getting.

Old
01-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Do you guys honestly think Schremp can improve his skating at this point? I know there are stories out there about guys improving their skating ability later in their career but I wouldn't be shocked if what you see is what you get in regards to Schremp's skating ability. I'm of the opinion that the improvement in his stride while with London was a bit overblown, a few people thought he had improved but a number of London fans also stated at that time that they didn't really notice a difference.

Schremp's known for his entire career that his skating ability is the one big deficiency in his game and he still hasn't improved it. I'm as optimistic as anyone on this board but I'm not all that confident that Schremp is going to develop into a better skater any time soon.
I might be way off base, but wasn't the knock on Sanderson his skating? Well he turned out to be a great skater. Now I am not sure Schremp has the natural ability to become a great skater but hopefully he can at least improve to become a decent/good skater.

I think one thing we should keep in mind with Schremp is this is the 1st adversity he has ever faced. So far everything has come easy for him. He was putting up 4 point games with ease in junior and now for the 1st time in his life, things are tough. I think we have to give him a year or 2 and see if he can learn how to overcome it.

It doesn't hurt us at all to let him play in the AHL for another year or 2 and right now his trade value probally isn't that high anyways.

Old
01-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
Now I am not sure Schremp has the natural ability to become a great skater but hopefully he can at least improve to become a decent/good skater.
I'm not sure about Sanderson but your example seems to ring some bells in my head.

The problem for me is that I look at Schremp and I simply don't "see" a very good skater. He's a relatively short, stocky kid and he doesn't have the typical body of a strong skater. I'm just not sold that Schremp has the physical foundation to ever really improve his skating stride all that much.

Old
01-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubya View Post
I don't think the Oil can create a precedent by moving Schremp if he's not doing well. They wouldn't for any other prospect, so why does Schremp deserve that special treatment? Honestly, he's looking more like Peter Sarno than Ales Hemsky right now, so until HE shows the Oilers brass something I think they should leave it alone. He's been given an opportunity, it's his responsibility to do something with whatever ice time he's getting.
Stortini was moved late last season. IMO it's less about precident and more about what's best for the Oilers #1 and what's best for Rob #2.

Old
01-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Do you guys honestly think Schremp can improve his skating at this point?
Honestly yes, but it won't be improving it-self. Stoll wasn't exactly a good skater and now he's doing pretty well in that department. Schremp will never be a Cogliano-esque skater, but to say that his skating will not improve ever again, IMO is wrong un-less the kid flat out doesn't give a crap. IMO the difference between the 2 WJC's was very noticeable in that regards. He couldn't skate to save his life in his first WJC's, and in his 2nd he looked much better (albeit not great). It'll take a lot of hard work, and that will be up to the player and no-one else to determine if it will happen or not. IMO Schremp's skating up-side would be Doug Weights skating.

Old
01-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
It doesn't hurt us at all to let him play in the AHL for another year or 2 and right now his trade value probally isn't that high anyways.
Agreed, and that might be the only thing that keeps him with the Oil after this trade deadline.

Old
01-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Traktor*

This message is for BryanBryoil...

I pretty much just joined HF so I could set you staight on some things. The first is Coach Richards-who we are soo lucky to have coaching our prospects. I have seen you state in multiple threads that he favours this guy and benches the other guy because he doesn't like him, or because he is not a Pens prospect. First.. about JDD..
I keep reading you post about "how JDD is getting the shaft in playing time." "He stops 39 pucks and gets the first star and then he doesn't get the start the next night" .. " What has Penner done to deserve his playing time" ect.. Listen.. in the AHL teams don't usually play on weekdays.. they usually play fri, sat, and sun. Sorry but it doesn't make sense to ride goalies back to back to back.. and unlike the NHL teams ride a bus after the game, sometimes for 10 hours. As you might expect players get tired. Im going to list you the amount of games goalies have played that are in the top 10 in AHL. 22, 26, 34, 21, 16,18,22,22,20,16. Do you notice that JDD is playing pretty much the same as all the top 10 AHL goalies? Do you expect him to play every game. The team is 26-7-2. Why the hell would Richards ride one goalie and risk injury/fatigue? Why would Richards risk losing his starter(jdd). When your team is playing that well it only makes sense to keep everyone fresh right? Like I said before when your playing alot of back to back situations your backup is going to get some action, hence the average number of games of top 10 starter is probably right where JDD is at.

2nd... I have never seen anyone protect/stick up for/pull the wool over thier eyes/ a prospect like you before. Some people make of of Pierre for his man crush on Dion.. but your love for Schremp is like no other. Why keep making excuses? Richards plays who deserves to be played. End of story. The guy doesn't care who you are drafted by or what round drafted in. Instead of being mad a Richards for not having Robbie play 100 percent of PP time you should be mad at Rob letting it happen. The guy in a elite shooter but he isn't shooting the puck. If I was the coach and Rob was getting 1 shot a game he wouldn't even be on my team. I know your other man crush is on JFJ. How much ice time would JFJ get if he averaged under a hit a game. Look at the icetime Brodziak gets. He listens to what Richards asks and he gets rewarded for it. Schremp is a shooter than doesn't shoot, doesn't skate in high traffic area's, isn't physical, right now he isn't doing anything to warrant any kind of increase in icetime. All the talk about Brodziak being slow...he as fast as Schremp AND has the hardwork ethic/hockey I.Q of Pisani. Right now Brodziak is playing like a first round pick and he is getting the minutes to show for it. Don't be expecting much for Schremp in the next few years. I'm not calling him a bust but like anything in life nothing comes for free. Schremp needs to work harder than anyone on the ice, not work as hard as needed to get by. The guy is 20 and just stops eating Mcdees? Sorry but if you want to get to the NHL more than anything you don't eat Mcdees, nor is it even tempting. Again, Schremp is getting outplayed so he doesn't get quality minutes and I have no problems with that. The W/B/Richards situation is more than anything we could have hoped for besides owning our own farm team. Right now I would take Brodziak any day of the week over Schremp. 5 years is a different story. Just one more time... Schremp is getting like 1 shot a game, that is nowhere enough and should be benched accordingly.

One thing I will give Bryan credit for is he does stick to his guns. He say's what he thinks, believes in Schremp and doesn't care who thinks different. I like that in someone. That said, don't blame Schremps lack of success on coaching, playing time or opportunity.

Just to clarify Schremp overall game isn't that bad, he just needs to shoot more and be more active when he doesn't have the puck. He is doing what most probably thought he would. Thinking he was going to score 2 points a game in his rookie season just isn't realistic.

To end.. Keep up the good work Bryan but lose the man crush.

Last edited by Traktor*: 01-14-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old
01-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
This message is for BryanBryoil...

I pretty much just joined HF so I could set you staight on some things. The first is Coach Richards-who we are soo lucky to have coaching our prospects

Right now I would take Brodziak any day of the week over Schremp. 5 years is a different story. Just one more time... Schremp is getting like 1 shot a game, that is nowhere enough and should be benched accordingly.

One thing I will give Bryan credit for is he does stick to his guns. He say's what he thinks, believes in Schremp and doesn't care who thinks different. I like that in someone. That said, don't blame Schremps lack of success on coaching, playing time or opportunity.

Just to clarify Schremp overall game isn't that bad, he just needs to shoot more and be more active when he doesn't have the puck. He is doing what most probably thought he would. Thinking he was going to score 2 points a game in his rookie season just isn't realistic.

To end.. Keep up the good work Bryan but lose the man crush.
Welcome to the board and for making many good points (not all of which I agree with of course) that said, the bottom line is that Schremp is an Oilers prospect and that we need him to be at the top of his game. It is not happening in WBS. Whether it's a combination of Richards, the depth, or flat-out just Schremp. Or even if it's just 1 or 2 of the above. I have followed Schremp's career very closely and when his confidence is down, he passes the puck a ton and looks for his shot much less than usual. His confidence has been in the crapper ever since his first benching. It seems like his coach's confidence in him went down the crapper at roughly the same time. As for Brodziak, if you would've been paying attention, I've been pissed that he hasn't gotten a call-up because he has been one of WBS' most consistent players and a force on the PK to boot. If I had to chose 1 player between Schremp and Brodziak for this season, it'd be Brodziak hands down. I'm not sure where you'd think otherwise??? Schremp needs to be averaging 2.5-3+ shots per game IMO, he was averaging 2.2 shots per over a 10 game stretch not that long ago, but it seems that once Thoresen, MAP, and JFJ showed up, Schremp went right back into his shot-less shell. If you read here enough, you would see that I've called out Schremp numerous times. That said, I'm beyond that and calling out Richards (JDD should still have 5 more starts than Penner, and I liked that he got the B to B in the last 2 games). It's about what needs to be done to get Schremp playing well and preparing him to be an NHL player. What is your solution to get him on track??? Mine is to move him to another AHL team where he can play more and gain valuable experience at this level.

Old
01-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
. What is your solution to get him on track??? Mine is to move him to another AHL team where he can play more and gain valuable experience at this level.
Get him on track? He is top 10 in rookies in the AHL. Just because he isn't scoring 2 point per like you boldly predicted doesn't mean he is off track. He just needs to keep working and improving, that is why he is in the AHL- To work on his game.
The sooner Rob faces this thing called "adversity" the better. Taking Schremp out of W/B would be like some mom taking her kid out of school and home schooling it because some kids were calling him/her names at school. You need to buck up. No situation is perfect and if Schremp already had to be moved to another club would send red flags imo.

I don't think the problem is so much Schremp but more your expectations. Let the kid play and develop and everything should work out. Just because some Kopitar kid does something at his age doesn't mean Schremp has to have the same timeline. So Schremp isn't leading his team in points... BIG DEAL... it isn't the end of the Schremp world. It doesn't mean he celing is lower, just takes time to get there. Jordan didn't even make is highschool basketball team but he worked at it. He ended up a not bad NBAer. Changing linemates or teams isn't going to change anything, Rob is the only one who can deterime how he plays. He was all the skill aka the ceiling, what we will find out is if he has the will.

Old
01-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Get him on track? He is top 10 in rookies in the AHL. Just because he isn't scoring 2 point per like you boldly predicted doesn't mean he is off track. He just needs to keep working and improving, that is why he is in the AHL- To work on his game.
The sooner Rob faces this thing called "adversity" the better. Taking Schremp out of W/B would be like some mom taking her kid out of school and home schooling it because some kids were calling him/her names at school. You need to buck up. No situation is perfect and if Schremp already had to be moved to another club would send red flags imo.
Actually he's 18th in AHL rookie scoring.http://stats.theahl.com/stats/statdi...&singleSeason= And I guess that your approach is leave him where he's at and just roll with it. That seems to be the popular approach, let's hope that he can start to play better so that this is a moot point anyway. I take it that you get to see a fair ammount of WBS games??? Your opinion of his play this season is much better than a few on here that have seen him quite a few times this year.

Old
01-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Actually he's 18th in AHL rookie scoring.http://stats.theahl.com/stats/statdi...&singleSeason= And I guess that your approach is leave him where he's at and just roll with it. That seems to be the popular approach, let's hope that he can start to play better so that this is a moot point anyway. I take it that you get to see a fair ammount of WBS games??? Your opinion of his play this season is much better than a few on here that have seen him quite a few times this year.
If you want to get picky he is actually tied for 15th

Yah I pretty much watched all the games that didn't conflict with oiler games. Thats why im not as harsh of Richards about Penner as you. The stats may not show it but he has actually played pretty well in most of the games. JDD has without question shown to be the better goalie but I agree with Richards that at this point in time when your team is leading the AHL (.750 winning %) that it makes no sense in overloading 1 goalie. Let's keep everyone fresh and focused. The guy really is a great coach.

Old
01-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
If you want to get picky he is actually tied for 15th

Yah I pretty much watched all the games that didn't conflict with oiler games. Thats why im not as harsh of Richards about Penner as you. The stats may not show it but he has actually played pretty well in most of the games. JDD has without question shown to be the better goalie but I agree with Richards that at this point in time when your team is leading the AHL (.750 winning %) that it makes no sense in overloading 1 goalie. Let's keep everyone fresh and focused. The guy really is a great coach.
Hey if he can get Robbie on the right track I may even start a Richards for Mac-T's job thread

Old
01-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Hey if he can get Robbie on the right track I may even start a Richards for Mac-T's job thread

Yah forsure. That's the thing about Richards. If your not playing, you should know why. But he doesn't hold a grudge. Getting your minutes back is as easy as putting in the effort. Deep in the back of Schremps fast food fried brain he knows that if he does the things asked of him he will be rewarded.

Old
01-14-2007, 05:31 PM
HuMz

Hey Traktor how how Miknov looked since he was sent back down? I thought he played pretty good in his 2nd game up here but was never given another chance.

Can you see him having a impact on our club in the near future? Or do you see him heading back to Russia this year, thanks.

Old
01-14-2007, 06:39 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:

The thing is, we have seen him skate better. Last camp when he got sent back to junior, he looked really quick out there. That was after working on his stride all summer. His stride degraded after he scored 40p in 10 games back and he slacked off back to how he skates now.

01-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
The thing is, we have seen him skate better. Last camp when he got sent back to junior, he looked really quick out there. That was after working on his stride all summer. His stride degraded after he scored 40p in 10 games back and he slacked off back to how he skates now.
Did you see him first-hand or is this all based off of a few reports that surfaced around the time? I remember talking to a few London fans during that span and they said that Schremp's skating wasn't all that noticeably different.

Old
01-14-2007, 07:57 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Did you see him first-hand or is this all based off of a few reports that surfaced around the time? I remember talking to a few London fans during that span and they said that Schremp's skating wasn't all that noticeably different.
well I noticed it at the 2 pre-season games I saw (plus all the camp I could get to) and he was looking like one of the quicker players on the ice. I was shocked, cause I had heard the skating problems too, and this was the first I'd seen of him.

Now, he doesn't look anything like that. He is working just as hard, but he isn't moving his legs the same way, so even though he is pushing his legs hard, he doesn't get much forward momentum out of them. That wide leg stance really helps his shot, but it kills his stride...

At least that is what it looks like to me

Old
01-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
Hey Traktor how how Miknov looked since he was sent back down? I thought he played pretty good in his 2nd game up here but was never given another chance.

Can you see him having a impact on our club in the near future? Or do you see him heading back to Russia this year, thanks.
If he stays in north america, no doubt about it, he could make a impact.

A few games ago he skated end to end, then tried a fancy move and lost the puck, Mikhnov was pissed and he skated all the way back into his own zone and picked the pocket of the player who stole the puck away from him. It was a great defensive play and a nice show of heart. If Mikhnov can play 60 minutes with that effort he can be a 40-60 point player no problem. He has really learned how to use his body to protect the puck from opposing teams. He is dangerous on the cycle because with his big stick reach and long strides it only takes a few seconds from being behind the net to a shooting position. I just worry that Mikhnov gets sick of the AHL pay stub and goes back to Russia. I have no doubt that Mikhnov could step in right now and help on the 2nd unit PP. Big body like that with his reach standing infront of the goalie.. getting rebounds. Gives us a really good 1-2 garbage goal punch on the PP.
Like I said before it looks like Mikhnov is putting in the effort on the defensive part of the game so if he keeps it up he should get a sniff pretty soon.

Old
01-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
well I noticed it at the 2 pre-season games I saw (plus all the camp I could get to) and he was looking like one of the quicker players on the ice. I was shocked, cause I had heard the skating problems too, and this was the first I'd seen of him.

Now, he doesn't look anything like that. He is working just as hard, but he isn't moving his legs the same way, so even though he is pushing his legs hard, he doesn't get much forward momentum out of them. That wide leg stance really helps his shot, but it kills his stride...

At least that is what it looks like to me
We need to get those leg braces that Forrest Gump wore that made him a great runner and get them to Robbie for him to play while using them for 10-15 games and then he'll be blowing by Cogliano at the end of those games when the braces comes off!!! Seriously do I have to do all of the thinking for the Oilers???

Old
01-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Bryanbryoil

BTW-New GDT and Up-dated stats are now up on the 1st page. I have also split the stats of our players that have been called up and then returned. So Mikhnov, MAP, and Jacques all have their stats split between their call-ups with the Oilers and subsequent demotions back to WBS.

Closed Thread