HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Morris

Old
01-03-2007, 09:33 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

vCash: 500
Derek Morris

Well not much point in speculating much of anything, but just a idea to throw out there. I imagine not many people would like this, but you realize we could have Morris for basically nothing. I have always had a soft spot for him, over his career he is a 40 point guy per 82 games, in the new NHL that would be higher. He is from edmonton. Now his contract looks bad but if he does what he has done his whole career, then he will be worth it, plus maybe we throw in a pick or somthing an the yotes pay a mill or two of it.

He is still young, only 27, I still think he has a bright future, in edmonton he would really want to shine.

ok now you can bash the crap out of me

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Cerebral

I want absolutely nothing to do with Derek Morris. He has always been very overrated and he's simply not worth the $4 million he's currently making. Moris hasn't cracked 30 points since 2002 and he's currently on pace for less than 20 points despite playing decent minutes on the powerplay. Boynton is the guy from Phoenix I'd target if they decide to move one of their defencemen (assuming Michalek is unavailable).

01-03-2007, 09:48 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I want absolutely nothing to do with Derek Morris. He has always been very overrated and he's simply not worth the $4 million he's currently making. Moris hasn't cracked 30 points since 2002 and he's currently on pace for less than 20 points despite playing decent minutes on the powerplay. Boynton is the guy from Phoenix I'd target if they decide to move one of their defencemen (assuming Michalek is unavailable).
Lets not go overboard in dissing him, he has put up solid numbers, this is his only real off year. THat is mostly due to the yotes sucking hard. 4 mill just isn't that much any more, Jovo was worth 6.5, morris isn't that far off, and again maybe the yotes could pay part of the salery. I am guessing they would still do it.

who is really available??? Visnovsky would be unreal, but with his great contract he would cost the moon to get. Who else?? the thing is he still has upside and he would cost nothing.

also I think it gets lost all the time he isnt' that old, most D don't reach prime untill early 30's.

Old
01-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Boozers

I know Morris personally and he is a really good guy, but I dont know If I even want him here. He makes too much money and I dont know if he is as good as he was when he was with Calgary to be honest

Boozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Lets not go overboard in dissing him, he has put up solid numbers, this is his only real off year. THat is mostly due to the yotes sucking hard. 4 mill just isn't that much any more, Jovo was worth 6.5, morris isn't that far off, and again maybe the yotes could pay part of the salery. I am guessing they would still do it.
I'm not going overboard, I simply really don't like Morris as a defenceman. I've watched him play a lot over the years and I've always felt that he's been incredibly overrated. Add in his massive contract and I sincerely would rather try and make the playoffs with what we have than take on his contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
who is really available??? Visnovsky would be unreal, but with his great contract he would cost the moon to get. Who else?? the thing is he still has upside and he would cost nothing.
We'll have to wait and see who is available. Picking up Morris would be a horrible move for this franchise though and it would force us to move some assets to get under our budget next year.

Cerebral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't mind Derek Morris, I have heard in the past from people that know him that he has alchol problems. I'm not saying that is true, it's basically a rumour I've heard in the past, was the main reason he was dealt out of Denver. There are guys that I would like Lowe to aquire that are realistic to get but I think there teams have to fall out of playoff contention within the next month and right now they're still there. 1) Brad Stuart. Boston got hot, they've been so-so the last few weeks, if they hit a streak of losing 8 of 10 or 10 of 13 then I think we could get him. But I personally only want Stuart if he agrees to an extension with us. It's possible because he did grow up in the area(Rocky Mountain House), but I also hear a lot about how his wife is from LA and the speculation is that he would love to go back to the West coast, maybe be the final piece to the puzzle back in SJ. 2) Sergei Gonchar. Not a bad contract when you look at it now, doesn't hurt you too bad in your own end, very good offensivly. Knows how to dish the puck, knows how and when to shoot. He had a cold start last year, but he looks a lot better now. Again, the Pens are in still in the race, but haven't played well in 3 weeks and should it continue I think it's a trade that could get done, we know Kevin Lowe likes Gonchar when in 04 he was in the running to aquire him at the deadline. With either of the guys, we would STILL in my mind need a stay at home guy, and my pick would be Brewer. I believe Bergeron is a nice start to a package for either Stuart or Gonchar.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Mr Sakich

funny thing was, i was going to post this idea tomorrow. Craig Bottuns the clown is on the fan 960 tonight. He claims that the comrie trade was not for cap reasons or to get the prospect, it was because phx is going to lose many millions this year and want to stop the bleeding.

If the trade was morris + a 5th rounder for an oiler 5th rounder, would we do the trade? If he cost absolutely nothing but salary, no assets, should lowe do the trade?

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow! If that's the case, I know he won't improve our PP a ton, but would defintley improve our blueline. He IS a puckmover, and he's ok and an upgrade on the PP. Defintley something to think about, but I think you still have to balk because of his salary. With all the sell outs once again this season, the cap going up, revenues going up, and if we get at least 3 playoff gates I think they have to save some cap space for the offseason and then really upgrade the blueline hardcore. I know for a fact that if Ottawa faulters in the playoffs again this year(out by the 2nd round type deal) Redden will likely be availble, Stuart could make it to UFA, as could Souray and that's just to name a few.

Old
01-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

For the money one could spend on Morris, it could be better spent on a better pickup.

I'm looking at Tampa Bay and Dan Boyle. I don't see them standingly idle and they need to move contracts around. If they aren't dumping their big 3, maybe we can pry Boyle and his contract from them. They need cheap players and we have a great contract in Bergeron and can add prospects and picks. A scoring winger ala Fedetenko could also be had for the stretch run. The more salary we eat up the better from their POV.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 12:27 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I'm looking at Tampa Bay and Dan Boyle. I don't see them standingly idle and they need to move contracts around. If they aren't dumping their big 3, maybe we can pry Boyle and his contract from them. They need cheap players and we have a great contract in Bergeron and can add prospects and picks. A scoring winger ala Fedetenko could also be had for the stretch run. The more salary we eat up the better from their POV.
I agree with the fact that Boyle would be an amazing fit, he's a poor man's Scott Niedermayer. There are a ton of problems with it though. First is that he has a no trade clause. Second, Jay Feaster is an awful GM. He refuses to let go of any of the big 3 to give his team some greatly needed cap room/depth. He for some reason thinks that with them 3 there, along with Boyle, they'll be able to just dish out 450K contracts everywhere else and win the cup. I keep hearing his trade bait is Prospal and Fedotenko....well that's fine, if what you're looking for in return is 4th and 5th rounders, he's not though, no no, he for some reason thinks they'll fetch him cheap young talent that's already playing in the league. Dan Boyle tops my wish list, but a wish I hate to say is all it will be which is too bad because if Feaster did deal 2 of these 4 guys he could really solidify that team for the next 10 years, instead they'll be a team that is what they've been for the last 2 seasons.

Old
01-04-2007, 08:33 AM
McOkMcgoMcoil

I would love boyle, but if they move him why would they do it now, they are still going to make a run at the playoffs, they would do it in the offseason. I agree though I would absolutly love him.

the thing with morris is, he isn't the best D man, but realize what we would have to give up for him. Boyle visnovsky ect are going to cost a lot. Morris would be a risk, but he could pay of big time as we would give up nothing for him. Also still love the idea of the yotes paying a mill or so per year of his contract. Really when you look at it, a guy who can put up 40 points is worth 4 mill in the new NHL.

Old
01-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

I'd give up Nedved for him

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 12:20 PM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Yes, Michalek is 100% unavailable and so is Ballard. BUt, we are a team that is stacked at D, maybe we could work something out around Lupul.Him and Nagy on a line could be something to see. I'm not very good at proposals but what do you guys think it would take to get a deal done.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Jet
Spoiled Rotten

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
funny thing was, i was going to post this idea tomorrow. Craig Bottuns the clown is on the fan 960 tonight. He claims that the comrie trade was not for cap reasons or to get the prospect, it was because phx is going to lose many millions this year and want to stop the bleeding.

If the trade was morris + a 5th rounder for an oiler 5th rounder, would we do the trade? If he cost absolutely nothing but salary, no assets, should lowe do the trade?
If the Coyotes are losing so much money in that brand new s****y Glendale Arena, I know of a lil' Prairie city that would love to have the franchise

The thing that kills me about Morris is the 4 Million dollar salary. Overpaid players are crippling in a cap system.

edit: The software censored the word s-w-a-n-k-y!

01-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Master Lok

Question - how many years left does Morris have on his contract. If his contract does not end this season, then I say no.

Even if he was free, I wouldn't touch that contract. okgooil, you say that $4 million isn't that much for a top 4 dman - would you be happy paying that for Staios or Smith?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Jim_Harnock

There was a time when I would have been all over a Morris deal, but that time was about three years ago. I still think Morris is a good defenseman, but I don't think he's really what we need -- even ignoring his contract, for the moment. We need a PP guy and Morris is essentially Eric Brewer: a big guy who isn't quite as physical as he should be and who isn't quite the offensive player he was supposed to be.

Financially, acquiring Morris would be rough. It would, for all intents and purposes, eliminate any possibility of a deadline deal to improve the club going into the playoffs. Unless the deal saw equal salary traded away, which I expect would mean we weren't so much upgrading as balancing.

I expect the guys we'd want most from the Coyotes -- Michalek and Ballard -- are not going to be moved. Boyton is also overpaid. Seidenberg could be a good pickup, but isn't the PP guy we're looking for.

Jim_Harnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 01:41 PM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Morris has never ever lived up to his billing in any way. I know we need defense, but I personally wouldn't rank him as a top 4 guy.

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 02:20 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

I wouldn't want Morris for the same reason I wouldn't want Yashin. Decent player, but too much money, and for too long. His contract is terrible.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddehJuS View Post
Yes, Michalek is 100% unavailable and so is Ballard. BUt, we are a team that is stacked at D, maybe we could work something out around Lupul.Him and Nagy on a line could be something to see. I'm not very good at proposals but what do you guys think it would take to get a deal done.
I'm not gonna lie to you man, even though people had there expectations set waaaaaayyyyyyy too high for Lupul this season, I don't think he's having too bad of year. Lupul would command a lot, Lupul would command a Keith Ballard and maybe a little bit more like a 2nd or 3rd rounder in my mind. I know Ballard isn't bad defensivly, but he's not that great in his own end either.

Old
01-04-2007, 03:19 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Morris came in with a lot of hype--but never lived up to it.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
Morris came in with a lot of hype--but never lived up to it.
He did... briefly. Morris was great as a rookie with the Flames, and we all couldn't wait to see how good he'd be when his development was done. As it turned out, it already was. He's actually regressed a little bit since then.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddehJuS View Post
How about Lupul straight up for Boynton? maybe some filler to even it out either way. I doubt Lupul will be moved though.

A) His grandparents are part of the Oilers ownership.
B) He was just traded here, and freshly signed.
C) He is viewed by most, as the centerpiece of the Pronger deal.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 04:40 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
He did... briefly. Morris was great as a rookie with the Flames, and we all couldn't wait to see how good he'd be when his development was done. As it turned out, it already was. He's actually regressed a little bit since then.
It'd be a real shame if history repeated itself...

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
How about Lupul straight up for Boynton? maybe some filler to even it out either way. I doubt Lupul will be moved though.
Sure, let's do it.

Problem is that he wouldn't have a real playmaking centre in Phoenix either. I see Lupul as a shooter that needs someone to get him the puck. Am I wrong?

Or how about Boyton and Nagy for Lupul and Horcoff?

Last edited by Alberta Yote: 01-04-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AY View Post
Sure, let's do it.

Problem is that he wouldn't have a real playmaking centre in Phoenix either. I see Lupul as a shooter that needs someone to get him the puck. Am I wrong?

Or how about Boyton and Nagy for Lupul and Horcoff?
Now that's a tempting deal. The only problem is the loss of Horcoff presense at center, his all-around game.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote