HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to eat Crow.....

Old
01-04-2007, 01:44 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

vCash: 500
Time to eat Crow.....

And no, I don't mean what Mark Crawford's Wife does to him after a home win.

I'm talking about Alexander Frolov and his play this season. I had been frustrated by his streaky play ever since his 2nd season, and have even suggested in the past that he be dealt, but he has been playing absolutely great for us this season at both ends of the ice and this definitely looks to be his breakout season (in other words, I think his days of streaky play are over).

Way to go, Alex!

Beauty, eh? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 01:52 AM
bland

In the spirit of the title of this thread, I'll readily admit that Rob Blake played his finest game of the season tonight, and maybe, just maybe, Derek Armstrong really is a decent NHL player.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 01:55 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

In the spirit of this thread, I will admit that the rest of us knew you were wrong all along...

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
In the spirit of the title of this thread, I'll readily admit that Rob Blake played his finest game of the season tonight, and maybe, just maybe, Derek Armstrong really is a decent NHL player.
Can't argue with that. Somehow, Armstrong seems to be getting it done this season.

Beauty, eh? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 01:58 AM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
In the spirit of the title of this thread, I'll readily admit that Rob Blake played his finest game of the season tonight
There was one play, where he showed a great quickness to hold the puck in the offensive zone with his skate, that actually made me go "wow, that was pretty nice!"

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 02:03 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFan24 View Post
There was one play, where he showed a great quickness to hold the puck in the offensive zone with his skate, that actually made me go "wow, that was pretty nice!"

yeah, that play was probably the quickest i have seen him react all season.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
yeah, that play was probably the quickest i have seen him react all season.
You should have seen him sign that 6,000,000 retirement contract. It was quicker.

Old
01-04-2007, 02:07 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
You should have seen him sign that 6,000,000 retirement contract. It was quicker.
Where did I hear that he came close to signing with the Ducks before settling on the Kings?

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 02:15 AM
riseandfall9

I love it when the Kings win and everyone starts getting all emo. I don't care what type of numbers Derek Armstrong is putting up he is playing with our top wingers and playing loads of ice time and he still cant do better then a few big games every month.

Frolov is some type of enigma I swear. When Forsberg goes on a tear and scores a grip of points his team usually wins. Frolov is putting up big numbers and the Kings still loose. But his game is getting better and its cool. I dont need to eat Crow because the only time I suggested that Frolov be traded was for a top notch sniper to go with Kopitar. Was a pretty boreing game tonight even though they won and played a solid 60 mins. CBJ didn't have enough to make the game interesting. But O well cant loose them all . I cant wait until I start saying "Cant win them all can ya?"

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 02:15 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Where did I hear that he came close to signing with the Ducks before settling on the Kings?
Neil?

Old
01-04-2007, 02:21 AM
Scottkmlps

This is just another example of a word that not many Kings fans know........patience.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 02:29 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
This is just another example of a word that not many Kings fans know........patience.
puhlease. That is like...number 10 on the list of words most Kings' fans do not know. There are MANY ahead of it! Here is the official list.

1. 2nd round
2. 3rd round
3. Semi-Final
4. Stanley
5. Cup
6. Winning streak
7. Top draft pick
8. Consistency
9. Reasonable ticket prices
10. Patience

Old
01-04-2007, 02:38 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
puhlease. That is like...number 10 on the list of words most Kings' fans do not know. There are MANY ahead of it! Here is the official list.

1. 2nd round
2. 3rd round
3. Semi-Final
4. Stanley
5. Cup
6. Winning streak
7. Top draft pick
8. Consistency
9. Reasonable ticket prices

10. Patience
Yes, and all those will be achieved with patience.

Old
01-04-2007, 02:45 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Neil?
No...it was some commentator...maybe another FSN crew.

It would make sense with Blake wanting to go back to SoCal and Anaheim looking to add another big ticket D-man prior to the Pronger trade.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 02:46 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Yes, and all those will be achieved with patience.
40 years hasn't been long enough?

I've always known about Frolov, and I'm willing to give Armstrong his due. I've always thought he was decent in a 3rd line role, but he's turning out to be pretty good on the 2nd line as well, and I hope the guy nets us something decent at the deadline.

There is, however, no way I am ready to say anything positive about Blake. I expect a hell of a lot more for the contract he has. For one, some consistent effort (after all, the kids are supposed to be learning from him). For another, how about a shot from the point that doesn't get blocked out to center ice by the guy on the other team standing 3 feet in front of you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Probably from the same little birdie that told Blake the Ducks didn't have 6 million to throw at him.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 03:34 AM
wicker

As much as I've always liked Fro, I doubted him a lot during the last half of the season, and during the summer.

It's nice to see him hustling and being so determined in many of the facets of his game for quite a few weeks already. I think that's because it's finally sunk into him that he is capable of taking on the burden of being the go-to-guy, and that he can be numero uno if he just sets his mind to it.

He also looks like he's got a consistant fire burning in him, now, and as a fan, that's all you can ask for.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 04:25 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Slow-pel and Brown have both proven me wrong.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 04:31 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
40 years hasn't been long enough?
Well, we've never actually had a GM that is patient enough to go through the whole rebuilding process. Taylor never really committed fully like DL has. Evidence of that was the trading of Tambellini & Grebeshkov last season. He was looking for a quick fix to save his job, and mortgage some of the future to do that. I know, I know, Grebs is playing in Russia, and Tambellini is in the AHL. But still, that is still trading future pieces for a quick fix.
DL, if the rumors are correct, didn't mortgage the future when Florida was asking for Frolov & Brown, and I think a 1st round pick, could be wrong, for Loungo. Instead he dealt a veteran in Demitra for a top prospect in O'Sullivan, and a 1st rd pick. Also by trading Belanger and Gleason for Johnson. Yes Gleason is still young, but he ain't no Jack Johnson, and with Kopitar being ready to step in, that moved Belanger down the depth chart.
This franchise has always been about the quick fix. Finally, there's a GM that will guide this franchise in the right direction.....with patience.

Old
01-04-2007, 10:26 AM
guzmania

I'll take a drumstick...thanks.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 10:44 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Frolov went on a tear last season around this time as well then dissapeared to finish the season. He's a streaky player and is a 2nd line LW on a good team. Nothing has changed in my book, therefore no crow for me.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:19 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Frolov went on a tear last season around this time as well then dissapeared to finish the season. He's a streaky player and is a 2nd line LW on a good team. Nothing has changed in my book, therefore no crow for me.
Nothing has changed? Have you watched Frolov this season? He has added elements to his game. He is a better player now then he was last season.

Will he continue to be a steaky player? Maybe. But to say nothing has changed is ridiculous.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:37 AM
absolutic

Quote:
Define 'patience' I've been waiting since 1991-92 season, that is 15 years, is it enough?

absolutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
This is a pretty ridiculous statement. Wake up and smell the crow. Last year at this time Frolov was playing on a super-hot line with Demitra and Conroy, and was, for the most part (offensively) the beneficiary of being on that line. Recall the stat sheet - Demitra, Conroy and Frolov were leading the WEstern Conference in scoring, with Marcus Naslund in the mix. Then, he (1) SEPARATED HIS ****ING SHOULDER at the Olympics, and came back not 100% for the playoff push, and (2) lost his primary offensive catalyst (Demitra) for the most of the late portion of the season (first, the Olympics injury, then the Keith Ballard elbow).

This year, he's being shuffled by Crow from one line to another, and now HE is the one that's serving as the offensive catalyst, wherever he's put. Look at the stat sheet now. Fro is top-5 in Western Conference scoring, but where are the two linemates next to him, as was the case last year? Right now he's 10th in the NHL in goals, 13th in the NHL in points. According to the stat sheet, by your logic, the only 1st line NHL LW suitable to play on the 1st line of a good NHL team is Ovechkin, because right now he's the only LW ahead of Frolov in scoring.

He shoots, he makes great passes, he protects the puck like no other, almost never turning it over, not to mention his defensive play, that's been there last year, and is present now.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 12:34 PM
PUCKBOY25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Can't argue with that. Somehow, Armstrong seems to be getting it done this season.

The KINGS are using him at what he does best........he's not a top 6....he's a 6 thru 12

PUCKBOY25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Well, we've never actually had a GM that is patient enough to go through the whole rebuilding process. Taylor never really committed fully like DL has. Evidence of that was the trading of Tambellini & Grebeshkov last season. He was looking for a quick fix to save his job, and mortgage some of the future to do that. I know, I know, Grebs is playing in Russia, and Tambellini is in the AHL. But still, that is still trading future pieces for a quick fix.
Since everyone seems upset that the Kings traded away Grebeshkov, should the Kings go and sign him back? With the young team DL is putting together I could see Grebs being a decent asset to have.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote