HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nedved's 1st Interview as an Oiler

Old
01-04-2007, 04:04 AM
Afterglow

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Afterglow
Nedved's 1st Interview as an Oiler

If you haven't listened to Petr's first interview with the Edmonton media, you should check it out at www.edmontonoilers.com. I know it's the media's job, but a lot of the questions he was asked were so stupid and, in listening, I could tell he felt kind of awkward answering them. Nonetheless, there were a few things that I thought were worth mentioning from the interview, largely for humour's sake...

1) "What's different about Petr Nedved in 2007?"

Nedved answers,"I'll be wearing an Edmonton Oilers jersey!"

2) "Would you say you've struggled this year?"

Isn't it obvious? I hate stupid ****ing questions like this. Way to make the guy feel like garbage

3) Any of you crack up when Nedved said the word "hockey"? Is that part of the Czech accent or is that a Nedved original?

4) Nedved: "maybe it just wasn't a good fit for Petr Nedved"

I love when athletes talk in 3rd person...just puts a smile on my face.

5) Nedved seems happy to be coming into a situation where he's going to be used in an offensive role...maybe his role as a "shut-down centre" in Philly was partly (more than partly?) responsible for the -20 in the +/- column.

6) It bugged me when the guy asking the questions tried to get Nedved to reflect on whether leaving here was a good decision or not. All I can say on that is MOVE ON! He's here now...focus on that!

7) Nedved: "...doesn't really matter if you're playing with a guy from Czech Republic or Timbuktu"

another classic

8) Nedved: "the best defense is offense"

don't let Torres and Lupul hear that...we'll have them coasting around the OPPOSING blueline rather than our own blueline when the puck is in our end!

My overall impression is that this is a guy who is ready to contribute in a new situation and in a role that he is used to. Let's hope he can rekindle his past magic as an Oiler to become Petr the Great once again! (better than the other Petrs...I'm talkin about Point-Starved Petr from Philly's first couple of games and his evil cousin Press-Box Petr that showed up as his tenure there came to an end). Get it done, Petr!

Afterglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 04:20 AM
Rin

I've listened to the interview a few times but never noticed how he says hockey...i'll have to listen again and keep an ear out for it.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 04:36 AM
imkinger

I can't believe they asked him about his defection.

imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 04:40 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Hopefully he lights things up

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 04:43 AM
pox

Send a message via MSN to pox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterglow View Post
8) Nedved: "the best defense is offense"

don't let Torres and Lupul hear that...we'll have them coasting around the OPPOSING blueline rather than our own blueline when the puck is in our end!

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 09:59 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterglow View Post
Isn't Torres like second on the team in +/- ... ?

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Yes but he's worked hard to get there, as a young player he'll be prone to changing his ways for the worse pretty quickly if pushed along.

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 12:10 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Well, I still wouldn't say he's great defensively. He's a pretty high event player, meaning he gets his +/- up by scoring goals, and being hard on the forecheck, not preventing them. He can keep the puck penned into the opposing zone, and isn't bad along the boards, but don't expect him to be the first man back, breaking up odd man rushes, or killing penalties. Just being able to outscore your opponent doesn't mean you're good defensively, but it's results that matter, so who cares how you get them?

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Bodmanza
pipsqueaks united

Anyone know who the interviewer was? Sounds like some ridiculous questions. No wonder no one likes playing here.

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Oilerdiehard

I had kind of forgotten until Nedved brought it up that he was traded from 'Yotes because he requested a trade as he no longer wanted to play in the Western Conference. I noticed he did not throw in a I feel different about playing out west now type comment.

He did seem happy to be with the Oil though.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 01:20 PM
21Gator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I had kind of forgotten until Nedved brought it up that he was traded from 'Yotes because he requested a trade as he no longer wanted to play in the Western Conference. I noticed he did not throw in a I feel different about playing out west now type comment.

He did seem happy to be with the Oil though.
It seemed to me he was tip-toeing around his divorce, more than disrespecting the West. Obviously he signed in the West, but when he was having problems with VV, he thought going East would do the trick. Didn't work out that way,and the hockey got worse.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Other Little Mikey

They probably asked him about his defection because it was exactly 18 years ago. And I remember he hates flying (but so do lots of guys), so I bet he liked that better about the Eastern Conference.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 02:47 AM
Rin

HAHA, speaking of interviews...did anyone catch the interview between Patrik Stefan and i think it was Dave Campbell on 630ched? Man, we were listening to overtime openline and one caller comes on and he was like i'm going to pick the 4th star, Dave Campbell for that interview...that guy should be fired. I'm looking for it in the audio vault now, when i find it i will provide a link.

His interview is in the audio vault, 10:00pm...about 10mins and 32seconds in. Now i'm listening for the caller, thats at like the 13minute mark.

EDIT: After listening to rest of it, turns out it wasnt Campbell that did the interview.

Last edited by Rin: 01-05-2007 at 03:03 AM.
Rin is offline   Reply With Quote