HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The league wants tight, tight games!!

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 07:57 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
The league wants tight, tight games!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...48&hubName=nhl

I think Joe said it best! What a joke this league has become. Of course the fans want their teams to play tight! Why should we be entertained? Look at the Canucks. A pathetic franchise that under Brian Burke and the emergence of certain players normally plays an exciting brand of hockey?!? How dare they! Or the Avalanche? Heaven forbid they blow teams away and make the bottom teams look bad.

The NHL has become Rugby on ice.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:01 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

I like his suggestion about increasing the size of the blueline. It seems like a third of all promising rushes are broken up by borderline offside calls...that doesn't really help anybody.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:04 AM
190Octane

By tight I think they mean tight in score, not in defense.

Selanne is just a whiny *****. So players don't score 70 goals anymore. It's because goalies are so much better than they used to be.

Of course he has to whine about Giguere also.. they've been checked out and okayed by the league, so get over it. He seemed to be moving ok when he stoned Gaborik last year in the playoffs.. seems to me he can move.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:06 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishinator05
Of course he has to whine about Giguere also.. they've been checked out and okayed by the league, so get over it. He seemed to be moving ok when he stoned Gaborik last year in the playoffs.. seems to me he can move.
In all fairness, that breakaway stop, was average. Nothing special.....Gaborik shot it right into Giggy's leg pads.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:09 AM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
In all fairness, that breakaway stop, was average. Nothing special.....Gaborik shot it right into Giggy's leg pads.
Not the one I was talking about.. I think you know which one.. at least I hope you know which one.

Last edited by 190Octane: 12-02-2003 at 08:13 AM.
Old
12-02-2003, 08:15 AM
-MrBean-

Quote:

Selanne is just a whiny *****. So players don't score 70 goals anymore. It's because goalies are so much better than they used to be.

Um, he didn't say ***** about his leg pads, which have been measured by the league. He distinctly said remove 2-3 inches off of his shoulder pads. You know, those things that are sticking up past his ears to protect the air right behind his head.

Vish, you get so bent the minute anyone other than a ducks fan or player even mentions Gigueres name.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:21 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:

Actually, he didn't criticize Giguere or accuse him of cheating. He said the league needs to change the rules on the size of the pads. The fact that Giguere's pads are legal now is pretty much the problem. Its not Giggy's fault, he's playing by the rules. Its the league's.

As for the rest of your post, Selanne could have said anything from "we need to rid the world of AIDS" to "I hope they find that missing girl in North Dakota", and you'd still call him a whiner. Interesting you didn't bash Sakic for echoing Selanne's statements.

I said it before with Thornton, and will now with Sakic and Selanne. I'm behind the players speaking out about the changes they feel need to be made. The NHL has proven to not give a rat's ass what the fans think, so its up to the players. I don't think the game is in as dire shape as many seem to, and I like watching a hard fought 2-1 game...if the chances are there. The NHL is the slowest moving league in professional sports when it comes to making changes to improve the product. Players speaking out about it can't hurt.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:21 AM
190Octane

You are aware that the league checked his shoulder pads and told him to take a half inch off which they did.

Selanne isn't whining about the league, he's whining about his own inability to score 70 goals again.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:25 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Ah, sorry about that. Thought you meant the breakaway shot.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:27 AM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
Actually, he didn't criticize Giguere or accuse him of cheating. He said the league needs to change the rules on the size of the pads. The fact that Giguere's pads are legal now is pretty much the problem. Its not Giggy's fault, he's playing by the rules. Its the league's.

As for the rest of your post, Selanne could have said anything from "we need to rid the world of AIDS" to "I hope they find that missing girl in North Dakota", and you'd still call him a whiner. Interesting you didn't bash Sakic for echoing Selanne's statements.
Point taken. It's just stupid of him to single out Giguere or anyone else.

The reason why I didn't bash Sakic was because Sakic made a good point that I agree with. The referees don't call games evenly, they call them by the score. The problem is this mentality is present all throughout hockey from the pro leagues to mites, so it would be a little hard to eradicate this.

Selanne wasn't whining about things like this when he scored 50 back in 97-98 and had one of the best individual efforts in the history of the game. Maybe he did and I just didn't hear it but I think it's kinda funny that these complaints come now after failing to break 30 the past couple of years.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:31 AM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Selanne isn't whining about the league, he's whining about his own inability to score 70 goals again.
--
"It's a totally different game today," Selanne tells the Denver Post. "It's all defensive systems. There's just no goals."
--

true,in any league, Selanne would probably never reach 76 goals again. it doesn't mean that this league is fine the way it is. in the 1980's, 7-5 was a low-scoring game. 7-5 games are entertaining. much moreso than a 1-1 snoozer between 2 of the "league's best teams" like on Sunday.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:38 AM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
--
"It's a totally different game today," Selanne tells the Denver Post. "It's all defensive systems. There's just no goals."
--

true,in any league, Selanne would probably never reach 76 goals again. it doesn't mean that this league is fine the way it is. in the 1980's, 7-5 was a low-scoring game. 7-5 games are entertaining. much moreso than a 1-1 snoozer between 2 of the "league's best teams" like on Sunday.
To be honest, I'd rather see a 2-1 game trading scoring chances left and right than a 7-5 game with the same amount of scoring chances. Some of this has to do with bigger pads, some of it has to do with better defense, but a lot of it has to do with better goaltending. If you'll look across major sports, scoring has gone down in every sport at some time mainly because the players are better athletes now. Baseball's answer was to make the field smaller and hitter decided to start juicing, football brought in the salary cap which makes it hard for defenses to build continuity and there are few great defenses. Basketball went the complete wrong way by allowing zone defenses which just slows down the game even more.

I agree with Selanne in the blue line suggestion except I don't think the neutral zone should be even smaller than it is. I also think that cutting down pads isn't that bad of an idea as long as they're still safe. Even with that, I still doubt they'd have that much of an impact and you're not going to see 7-5 games in the league again unless something changes drastically.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:39 AM
tmg

What, inherently, makes 7-5 more 'entertaining' than 1-1? I get bored to death by basketball because 'scoring' is so frequent that it reduces suspense and tension, and lessens the importance of an individual standout play. I get the same kind of boredom watching Lacrosse (which has that frequency of goal-scoring that's being requested here).

Old
12-02-2003, 09:07 AM
Snap Wilson

Bob Gainey's idea about increasing the size of the red and blue lines sounds better and better.

I'm not so concerned about scoring. I've been watching hockey since the late 70s, and I find the brand being played today very compelling. I like that defense has gotten better, and that offenses have to work harder to score.

I don't think the problem is the game, it's the officiating. Some games are called pretty good, others are hit and miss (just like in any sport) but an increasing amount are out of control. Once the players realise that a ref isn't calling something you're going to see it all game. Are they completely ignoring diving now? Not that it has much impact if a player wants to look like a fool sliding along the ice, but call it anyway. If they say they lost an edge, tell them it's two minutes for being a klutz, hell, just tell them it's two minutes for looking STUPID, because it does look stupid. It looks like a soccer game out there.

Just like with the players, the league has an agreement with the refs, so making some changes to the system or making them more accountable may not be possible until that agreement is up. But when it is, drastic changes need to be made.

Old
12-02-2003, 09:08 AM
kenabnrmal

First of all, 7-5 was never a low scoring game in any era of hockey. Secondly, no one's looking for lacrosse-type scoring frequency. The flow of the game is stunted, and the scoring chances are down. I could care less what the score is in the game, as long as the chances are there and the game is fast paced. Scoring will obviously rise as chances do, however if a goalie stands on his head like Giguere did last playoffs, theres nothing boring about that. Bottom line is that the league's most talented players need to be able to use their talent, and right now they're not. I still feel that the solution is in large part in the hands of the officials, simply calling the game as its listed in the rule-book. However, if they're unable to do that, Selanne's suggestion of the widening of the lines (actually its Bobby Smith's plan, isn't it?), decreasing size of goalie equipment, or whatever other plans people come up with to improve the game should be looked at.

Old
12-02-2003, 09:11 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
What, inherently, makes 7-5 more 'entertaining' than 1-1? I get bored to death by basketball because 'scoring' is so frequent that it reduces suspense and tension, and lessens the importance of an individual standout play. I get the same kind of boredom watching Lacrosse (which has that frequency of goal-scoring that's being requested here).
We want to be entertained. The best 1-0 game I ever saw was game 5 between the Stars and Devils in the SCF. The players had several chances to make the score 4-3 or 5-4 but the goalies were awesome. The players were playing to win.

Now the players play not to get fired, and to make sure they cover there own end or we get all over them.

Sorry but the League needs flair and excitement. They need a reason to go to the games, not to see Giguere stand there wondering if the puck hit him while the play is down the ice.

Old
12-02-2003, 09:14 AM
brylin18

I'm glad Sakic found the game to be boring. That means guys like Stevens were doing their jobs. I bet if you asked Stevens what he thought of the game, he'd say he had a blast shutting down Sakic. I hope Sakic dozes off on the bench the next the Devils play the Avs.

Old
12-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Vman

The fans just want more entertaining games. More "run and gun" style of games and not the trap for all 60 minutes. That explains why half of the fans say "That was such a boring game to watch.."

Old
12-02-2003, 11:07 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by brylin18
I'm glad Sakic found the game to be boring. That means guys like Stevens were doing their jobs. I bet if you asked Stevens what he thought of the game, he'd say he had a blast shutting down Sakic. I hope Sakic dozes off on the bench the next the Devils play the Avs.
It was a boring game, a total snoozer. I don't see how anyone can believe that's good for the game. I'm all for a 1-1 tie with plenty of scoring chances and great goaltending. That certainly wasn't what the Avs/Devils played. I really don't care about more goals, I want more scoring chances.

Old
12-02-2003, 11:26 AM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
(actually its Bobby Smith's plan, isn't it?)
I believe you're right. I knew it was a defensive center-c/u/m-general manager named Bob.

Edit: Some of these filters are ridiculous. Can't say Hitchc/o/c/k, can't say Babc/o/c/k, can't graduate Magna C/u/m Laude...

Old
12-02-2003, 11:31 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Bigger nets! Not bigger goalies!

Old
12-02-2003, 12:13 PM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
I'm all for a 1-1 tie with plenty of scoring chances and great goaltending. That certainly wasn't what the Avs/Devils played.
The NHL defensive player of the month for November was Martin Brodeur.

The runner-up was David Aebischer.

What better goaltending could you possibly expect, if you considered that matchup not to feature 'great goaltending'? In that game they combined to save .963 . The chances were there. The goalies were there too. I know I, for one, was impressed by Aebischer actually stoning the Devils on some quality chances. He didn't do that in the Devs/Avs game on Nov 1 (which was a seven-goal game - 4-3 Devs - with the exact same number of shots and equivalent scoring chances as the 1-1 Nov 30 bout).

Old
12-02-2003, 12:44 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
The NHL defensive player of the month for November was Martin Brodeur.

The runner-up was David Aebischer.

What better goaltending could you possibly expect, if you considered that matchup not to feature 'great goaltending'? In that game they combined to save .963 . The chances were there. The goalies were there too. I know I, for one, was impressed by Aebischer actually stoning the Devils on some quality chances. He didn't do that in the Devs/Avs game on Nov 1 (which was a seven-goal game - 4-3 Devs - with the exact same number of shots and equivalent scoring chances as the 1-1 Nov 30 bout).
You're telling me you watched that game? It was simply put the most boring hockey game the Avalanche have been involved in all year.

Old
12-02-2003, 02:16 PM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
You're telling me you watched that game? It was simply put the most boring hockey game the Avalanche have been involved in all year.
Yes, I watched it (I also watched the 4-3 Devs/Avs game earlier in the month). I'm sorry if the Avs not scoring at-will makes a game boring for you, but you have to understand that, ESPECIALLY against a team like Colorado, other teams are faced with the reality that they have two choices: play defensively or lose. Getting involved in a shootout in Denver is *suicide*.

However, I think there were plenty of chances on BOTH sides (the Avs controlled the first period, the Devils controlled the first half of the second, and the third was fairly even with each team having a few great chances). I don't think the chances were substantially different from the Nov 1 game. The goaltending was simply better. Both goalies raised their game.

Old
12-02-2003, 03:05 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
Yes, I watched it (I also watched the 4-3 Devs/Avs game earlier in the month). I'm sorry if the Avs not scoring at-will makes a game boring for you, but you have to understand that, ESPECIALLY against a team like Colorado, other teams are faced with the reality that they have two choices: play defensively or lose. Getting involved in a shootout in Denver is *suicide*.

However, I think there were plenty of chances on BOTH sides (the Avs controlled the first period, the Devils controlled the first half of the second, and the third was fairly even with each team having a few great chances). I don't think the chances were substantially different from the Nov 1 game. The goaltending was simply better. Both goalies raised their game.
Well I guess you, I and Sakic will have to agree to disagree.

Closed Thread