HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Could Zherdev be in serious trouble?

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 06:52 PM
ATG

vCash: 500
Could Zherdev be in serious trouble?

Now I don't much about the whole leaving Russia thing.But i do know he left his team Dynamo Kiev in a bind and also didn't complete his military service.Now i don't know how they treat that in Russia but if they treat that as a treason kinda thing and the russian mafia gets involved then he could be in some trouble big time.And considering Dynamo Kiev is an elite team the russian mafia might have some serious connections in their ,if i was Zherdev i would watch my a##

Old
12-02-2003, 07:29 PM
Slay

What mafia? what Dynamo Kiev?

All I can say that he made a dumb thing. He had to settle everything before leaving. If he wanted to play in nhl he should say that and not brainwashing that he wants to play for CSKA for another year.

Anyway I don't think he is in a big trouble, I'd say he has some problems if he still a military man but it is solvable.

Last edited by Slay: 12-02-2003 at 07:39 PM.
Old
12-02-2003, 07:47 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

As long as he stays in the US and Canada he shouldn't have too much to worry about. Not sure I'd go home to Russia without body guards though.

Old
12-02-2003, 07:48 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo's house
Now I don't much about the whole leaving Russia thing.But i do know he left his team Dynamo Kiev in a bind and also didn't complete his military service.Now i don't know how they treat that in Russia but if they treat that as a treason kinda thing and the russian mafia gets involved then he could be in some trouble big time.And considering Dynamo Kiev is an elite team the russian mafia might have some serious connections in their ,if i was Zherdev i would watch my a##
I didn't know Zherdev played football !?

Dynamo Kiev is a major football club... Now, Army is a big deal since it is a mandatory service. He can go to jail for this and for sure won't get an international passport.

Old
12-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Bobby Orr's Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo's house
Are you crazy or something? Dynamo Kiev is a Ukrainian soccer team. Famous club that produced many Euro soccer greats, but non of Euro hockey greats. And Kiev is the capital of Ukraine; it's not in Russia. Zherdev played for CSKA Moscow. And what the hell does Russian mafia have to do with this??? Man, you've got to lay off those drugs.

Last edited by Bobby Orr's Knees: 12-02-2003 at 07:55 PM.
Old
12-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Frolov

Don't worry about it but don't expect him to play for the Russian National team anymore.

Old
12-02-2003, 07:55 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
As long as he stays in the US and Canada he shouldn't have too much to worry about. Not sure I'd go home to Russia without body guards though.

I don't think anyone would want to go to Russia without bodyguards...especially in Moscow.

Is this considered a defection? If so, how does that work with the IIHF?

Old
12-02-2003, 07:58 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov
Don't worry about it but don't expect him to play for the Russian National team anymore.
yeah i think it's the way we have to see this .

Old
12-02-2003, 08:03 PM
BCCHL inactive

Dynamo Kiev is the name for both the city's soccer and hockey clubs.

But the majority here are right...Zherdev left CSKA, not Dynamo Kiev.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Slay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
I don't think anyone would want to go to Russia without bodyguards...especially in Moscow.
Especially in Moscow? Moscow probably safer than NY, police is everywhere. So can you say that you wouldn't want to go to NY without bodyguards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Is this considered a defection? If so, how does that work with the IIHF?
What is defection by the way ? It is 2003, you think by old categories He deviated from military duty and that is not good, and it is like that in any country with military duty, you have to serve, it is a law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov
Fedorov played, Mogilny played so what the point?

Old
12-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Zine

Kiev's hockey team is Sokol Kiev.

Old
12-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Miraflores

http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr7803.htm

Old
12-03-2003, 01:57 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

It's not a serious problem guys.

Russia has *massive* problems with everyone else doing the exact same thing. They conscript everyone but then only a minute number of those show up for duty.. the rest find ways to bail on it..

Be it bribes, false doctor's certificates or whatever, it's a fully run business there. Zherdev's just being made an example of, but it's nothing major, because the problem applies to everyone conscripted.

Old
12-03-2003, 03:08 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay
Especially in Moscow? Moscow probably safer than NY, police is everywhere. So can you say that you wouldn't want to go to NY without bodyguards?
Depends on which part of New York, I can say I wouldn't got to some areas of town at night without bodyguards.

Old
12-03-2003, 04:08 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay
He deviated from military duty and that is not good, and it is like that in any country with military duty, you have to serve, it is a law.
Military duty is used as a way of getting more money out of NHL teams. Laws are weak in Russia. No one, especially the government, really pays much attention to the law, unless it can be used to extract a heavier bribe. As has been stated previously, the majority of young Russian males do not serve in the military. For the unlucky kid who doesnt have connections or cant pay his way out, real military service (excluding what Hockey Players and Olympic Gymnasts do) means years of hazing, beating and humiliation.

The "scandal" is purely financial between CSKA and Columbus. That said, I dont begrudge the Russian Hockey system their money. They invest a lot of money to develop these players from a very young age, giving them the best coaching, medical attention and other types of support they otherwise would not be able to afford. The NHL is the ticket to riches and glory for these kids, but I feel they do owe something to the organizations which helped them get there.

Old
12-03-2003, 04:32 AM
dragonwyck

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr's Knees
And what the hell does Russian mafia have to do with this??? Man, you've got to lay off those drugs.
Perhaps you shouldn't tell someone to 'lay off the those drugs' when you are obviously the one that doesn't know what is going on. It's rather well known that the Russian Maphia has it's hands in hockey and there have been a number of reports of current Russian NHL stars having to pay money for their safety.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:43 AM
Slay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
the majority of young Russian males do not serve in the military. For the unlucky kid who doesnt have connections or cant pay his way out, real military service means years of hazing, beating and humiliation.
Majority??? Are you kidding? Who has connections can avoid military for sure but majority? c'mon.
A lot of people study at universities and thus have 5 years delay from the army, but it is only delay. If there was a military chair at university after graduation they go to the army as army officers and serve just for 1 year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
means years of hazing, beating and humiliation.
There is a bad treatings in some military units (imo all depends of the general of the unit) but don't exaggerate about years of humiliation in the whole army. Standard military service time is 2 years, as I mentioned before it can be 1 year. Army is not a pleasure anywhere but to serve at the Russian army probably tougher than at western ones but I think it depends of the spoilting of a person.
Also there is a 3 years of alternative service as a civil but it is organized pretty poorly.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:45 AM
Slay

MojoJojo, I agree with your second paragraph. Military service seems just a pretext in order Zherdev stays in CSKA, I think with other clubs it would be way easier to settle.

By the way Zhedev is the alumnus of Electrostal school. Curious has Electrostal got anything for Zherdev from CSKA?

Last edited by Slay: 12-03-2003 at 06:12 AM.
Old
12-03-2003, 06:28 AM
jackets63

Everyone here is just assuming that its a given that he is in the army. That is the central point of this whole argument. Russia is saying hes in the army. The NHL and Blue Jackets are saying he isnt in the army. If he is indeed in the army, he will be sent back. But Im pretty confiedent that they wouldnt have brought him over if they werent 100% sure that he didnt need to serve or wasnt serving. Otherwise, they wouldnt have put him through all this. Its not like they are counting on him to turn the franchise around this year.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:35 AM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackets63
Everyone here is just assuming that its a given that he is in the army. That is the central point of this whole argument. Russia is saying hes in the army. The NHL and Blue Jackets are saying he isnt in the army. If he is indeed in the army, he will be sent back. But Im pretty confiedent that they wouldnt have brought him over if they werent 100% sure that he didnt need to serve or wasnt serving. Otherwise, they wouldnt have put him through all this. Its not like they are counting on him to turn the franchise around this year.
But, haven't others left the army? They were never sent back. Or, is it that the others were never in the army in the first place and just left before they had to serve? This is what I am unsure about.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:55 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
But, haven't others left the army? They were never sent back. Or, is it that the others were never in the army in the first place and just left before they had to serve? This is what I am unsure about.
Well, as far as I know this is the first case of somebody leaving "illegaly" of the non-soviet Russia. There have been other kids leave, but I dont' think Russia has demanded they return and finish military service. They are in this case. And if you go back to when Fetisov and Mogilny came over - that is a much different situation as that was just a way for the west to stick it to the communist world.

Closed Thread