HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LMHF Game Report #22

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2007, 05:25 PM
  #1
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #22

EDMONTON OILERS 5

VS.

DALLAS STARS 5

(and yet we lost)
------------------------------------------

I’ve decided that this is how I will start my SO loss reports now, as games like this are exactly why I detest the SO so much.

Let me get this out….AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Man was that a weird game, we were in control and then not in control…I had a really bad feeling going into the third and I guess there was a reason for it. Talk about frustrating.

There are two main reasons we lost this game in my estimation:

First, our defence got stupid-tired. The loss of Smid combined with not having Toby Petersen in the lineup, who could have filled in, led to things like Hejda playing 23+, Greene going 18+ and looking completely dogged, and Smith playing 24+. The other two handled their minutes just fine. On a night where we have six D I think MG gets to ride the pine in the third…not pretty.

Secondly, our forwards were positioning themselves far too low in the offensive zone. This led not only to and easier breakout for Dallas and a better transition game from them tonight, but also to us missing chance after chance because we did not have our third forward high in order to pick up rebounds, passes through the slot, and strange bounces. If we would have executed this better, we win this one. No question.

Now that we’ve covered all that…on to what everyone is actually talking about…after this game no one was talking about how we lost, everyone was on their cell phones calling their friends saying “Did you see that?!?!” That was probably a once-in-a-lifetime play. Not only did Patrik Stefan screw up the easiest chance you get in hockey, he then idiotically played the puck right to an Oilers player rather than safely behind the net to run out the clock. I don’t know whether it was embarrassment or the need to score a goal that took over his body at that particular time, but there was no one more relieved in that building tonight than him when that game went to a SO.

We had all kinds of chances to win in OT, especially the Staios shot that hit Horcoff. Someone might have a better shot of it (kinger, I’m lookin at you) but I’m pretty sure that puck was going right in the right side if Horcoff is not in the way. Tragic that we did not win tonight, even if we didn’t “deserve” it. Hockey isn’t about deserving the win, it’s about getting it.

We need some work on our play with leads, but we also need our goalie to clamp down and start making the saves we’re used to him making. He wasn’t stopping pucks he usually stops again tonight…this is a really bad stretch for him. I’ve never seen him so awkward and out of it.

PLAYER REPORTS
--------------------------------------------

Smyth-Horcoff-Lupul
-Well, so far so good anyway. Far from being out of sync, these guys were pretty excellent tonight, Smyth especially. I still think Lupul can be better; he didn’t convert on at least two chances that should be money for a guy like him, but he was very aware and into the play tonight. He skated with a lot of energy and got himself where he needed to be. His talent and quickness with the puck gave him his goal on a nice little puck-shift to the front of the net. Hopefully he’s only getting better. Smyth was all over the ice tonight moving like a madman. He had a goal and three assists, and was only an inch or so away from another assist while muck-raking in front of the net. When your team scores 5 and you’re on for all of them, that’s a great night. He was also only on for the 1 against, and that was not his fault and never should have gone in. AMAZING play on the last goal. Horcoff was pretty good tonight too. He continued to carry his speed through the neutral zone well, made less bad passes than he tends to, and managed to contribute well out there.

Sykora-Nedved-Hemsky
-Early reviews are mixed, that’s the best way to put it. Make no mistake, Nedved is going to need some time to adjust to his linemates and his team, as was evidenced most clearly by the bumper cars they seemed to be playing early on. That was a matter of lane confusion that will be solved once he sees the paths Hemsky and Sykora like to take. Nedved also took the puck in stride much less tonight, but that should improve. His goal was solid, with #93 in the right place at the right time. He would have had another in the third had he connected with the pass that came up the middle as he was going to streak in. Nedved should have played in OT. What more can you really say about Ales Hemsky? As soon as I saw it was him on that breakaway I knew this game was going to OT…and to have the presence of mind to be in that position is just golden. Aside from that he moved the puck and was effective all night, even throwing a couple hits in for good measure. He’s the man. I just wonder why he didn’t shoot like usual in the SO. Must be how far out Turco plays. Sykora’s game you could take or leave tonight. He was more confused by Nedved because at times they were both trying to play the center role for some reason. It was a strange night, like I said. He’ll come around. On a related note, I finally found one of his sticks in the Oilers store. Really short, and the curve does not disappoint. WOW. It’s like a curvy spiral on a roller coaster.

Pisani-Stoll-Torres
-Don’t discuss trading Jarret Stoll. Nobody wants it more than this guy. He’s so fired up and intense…really deserved to pop one with his effort tonight, but as I’ve said, hockey is not about what you deserve. It seemed he was always there in the offensive zone, but the puck would either hop over his stick after a brilliant pass, or his stick would snap (twice tonight, switch to a 110 flex already Jarret) or the puck would hop on by as it did on his chance in the crease in the third. It just was not the right kind of night for him. He was physical, fore-checked like crazy, and even filled in for our dead-tired defence in the OT period excellently. He started the play that led to Hemsky’s tying goal for good measure. Raffi also fore-checked hard and played a really solid game tonight, but just couldn’t find the offensive handle out there. Fernando laid a really really nice hit out there tonight but couldn’t generate any shots or offence. He missed a golden chance in the second from the slot after another awesome play by Stoll, and was not in his familiar slot position as much as he should have been in the third.

Jacques-Reasoner-Pouliot
-Jacques laid a really nice hit. His checks make an unusual thud that I’m not sure I’ve heard before. In response to the poster in my thread…and btw I was waiting for one of these one of these days, thanks for calling me pathetic and not subjective, its been too long between the random insults…Jacques is not playing better than Winchester or Thoresen were…they should be in the lineup. The hits stat is nowhere near enough for me to keep him around. He’s minus-9 in very limited action against no one special. I don’t suppose you think he’s going to score 39 goals next year as well do you? If you’re comparing him to Smyth that’s what you’re dealing with. It’s not that I don’t like the guy as a player, I do, but he’s puck-poison right now and we can’t afford that on any line. Pouliot was the same as usual, too slow to the puck, other than a great little pass tonight that almost led to a goal. He’s been scared off shooting in the slot too somehow…no idea why. Marty played a decent game, and had a few specifically good efforts. They should have got him even more icetime than they did doubling Hemsky to play with him and Pouliot.

Marc-Andre Bergeron
-Putting the goofy play at the end of the third aside…I mean come on, another goofy thing gave us a point…he was excellent tonight. There was no one even close to him in terms of breaking the puck out, which he did with poise and skill. I can recall a particular sequence where we were in a bit of trouble and he corralled the puck, skated for about 20 seconds with it allowing us to get a needed change, and then making a pass that moved the play along. Just excellent. Throw in that boomer off the face of the goalie Smith (WOW), 5 shots, 20 minutes of ES play without being on for a goal against, successful for 1:25 of PK, and you’ve got to give props to this guy on his turnaround. Really picked it up when we needed him. He could have won it in OT a couple times too.

Steve Staios
-The kind of game he is capable of. Within his first two shifts he’d made offensive contributions and he was excellent defensively as well. Stevey is at his best when he plays a very assertive style, and he sure did that tonight. He also played a whack of minutes and was not on for an ES goal against. He’s slowly getting better and better as the season goes on, which we’re really going to need from him.

Ladislav Smid
-Well, he was already plus-1 when he got injured…we’re going to miss his minutes if we don’t make a move right away.

Jason Smith
-Cannot move the puck. I don’t know whether it is more annoying that he always screws up or whether he tries to blame his stick every time. The guy cannot throw a flat pass. Combine that with his defensive play going downhill and I’m obviously not very happy at all with him tonight. His bad pinch directly cost us the final Dallas goal, even though Greene should have made a better play and Roloson made a bad attempt.

Matt Greene
-Probably his worst game this year. He was bad with the puck, made dumb decisions and was not effective defensively. Without that, he ain’t much. Just an aberration for him I’d think. He’ll bounce back. Hopefully we don’t have to push his minute total so high.

Dwayne Roloson
-Simply put, he’s frustrated and I’m frustrated with him. Fundamentals and positioning are off and he’s over-compensating for them. NOT GOOD!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who is this Connor guy playing for Dallas? If he’s 5’8” then Bergeron is 6’2”.

Did I mention how much I hate shootouts? If this game had continued, we win. We had the momentum, we were running like nobody’s business, and then we run into the SO specialist team…jeez…

I hope these guys are turning it around. I really thought we were back tonight for a while…but I guess not.

LMHF#1 out.


Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 01-05-2007 at 12:19 AM.
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 05:34 PM
  #2
M00se
Registered User
 
M00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Right Here
Country: Canada
Posts: 912
vCash: 500
While I doubt the Czech mates will be together the enitre game, I do think they will play well together. Might our PP finally turn?

M00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 05:36 PM
  #3
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,725
vCash: 500
Mact can never win. Last year - people were getting on his case for never playing the prospects and not developing players. Now - he's trying to play the prospects... and getting criticized for it.

Pouliot, Jacques, this is part of the developemental process.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 05:44 PM
  #4
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Mact can never win. Last year - people were getting on his case for never playing the prospects and not developing players. Now - he's trying to play the prospects... and getting criticized for it.

Pouliot, Jacques, this is part of the developemental process.
Not when you're playing like Jacques is can keeping him in the lineup help him or help MacTavish.

If he wants to play young guys, Thoresen shouldn't have went down, and even my favorite whipping boy Winchester deserves to play a lot more than Jacques. Mikhnov too. I'm not advocating playing the old guys, Jacques just doesn't deserve any more ice time right now.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 05:49 PM
  #5
HOF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,460
vCash: 500
It's mind boggling. I know this isn't EA sports, but I look at our forwards and go WOW. Then I watch them and go ****!

HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 06:30 PM
  #6
oiler-dude
Registered User
 
oiler-dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,018
vCash: 500
Winchester > Jacques.

No question. I don't understand why Winnie isn't in.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 06:32 PM
  #7
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
Not when you're playing like Jacques is can keeping him in the lineup help him or help MacTavish.

If he wants to play young guys, Thoresen shouldn't have went down, and even my favorite whipping boy Winchester deserves to play a lot more than Jacques. Mikhnov too. I'm not advocating playing the old guys, Jacques just doesn't deserve any more ice time right now.
Thoresen has a 2 way contract and Winny doesn't so that's why he was sent down. We don't have to expose him to waivers like Brad. I bet next year Winchester will not be around.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 06:38 PM
  #8
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,590
vCash: 500
Jacques will find his way back to WBS if he doesn't produce anything offensively much longer. I think Pouliot-Reasoner-Winchester should be the consistent 4th line with Petersen being the 13th guy. Thoresen will return soon if he works hard in WBS and Jacques will go back down.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 06:43 PM
  #9
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Jacques will find his way back to WBS if he doesn't produce anything offensively much longer. I think Pouliot-Reasoner-Winchester should be the consistent 4th line with Petersen being the 13th guy. Thoresen will return soon if he works hard in WBS and Jacques will go back down.
I think JFJ has learned everything he can from the AHL. He'll be a pressbox guy. It seems as if they're waiting to unload Winchester. I think they should rotate the two after 2 games each at least... put some air of competition in there.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 06:57 PM
  #10
QScout
Registered User
 
QScout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In the arena
Country: Canada
Posts: 615
vCash: 500
Don't forget that Map and Jacques are only at their first Nhl season. Last year doesn't count to me. They're only 21, playing only an average 8 minutes/game at ES, we cannot ask them to accomplish miracle ! MAP works hard while Jacques can give some hit or throw some punches.

QScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 07:20 PM
  #11
francky89
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
You are so pathetic in your comments and especially very, very little objective... Should not forgotten Jacques be a rookie,age 21 versus Winchester 25 and Petersen 28...Here is why Jacques plays this evening,18 GP,33 hits,4GvA only and minus 0 in is last 8 games ...





Player Pos Team GP Hits BkS MsS GvA

14 BRAD WINCHESTER L EDM 33 23 3 14 15
18 TOBY PETERSEN C EDM 28 16 12 10 25
19 J-F JACQUES L EDM 18 33 6 6 4

francky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 07:34 PM
  #12
francky89
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Small question for you, do you know how many points Ryan Smyth made has his first season?

1995-96 Edmonton Oilers NHL 48 2 9 11

Yes 2 goals and 9 assist for 11 points in 48 games...

And he did certainly not play only 5 minutes by game on the fourth trio as JFJ...All this to say to you that it is necessary to be patient...

francky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 07:44 PM
  #13
BleedingOil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
I agree Francky89..very pathetic.

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 07:47 PM
  #14
Sethis
Registered User
 
Sethis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by francky89 View Post
You are so pathetic in your comments and especially very, very little objective
Hey now, I agree with the point your making, I don't think he's played bad lately (Although I'd still rather have Thoresen up... obviously, I'm a frekin' homer) and I really like the effort he's making to settle into the big mean energy guy role, but personal attacks ain't needed.

You brought up the right stats, and showed the comparison with Smytty - there's no need to insult him. I really appreciate the work he puts into these game reports.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 12:18 AM
  #15
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Report Up!

(EARLIER)

PRE-GAME

In honor of Mr. Nedved's return, I thought I'd break out the pre-game report to get things going.

Any bets on how long the Czech line lasts? Or do they set the world on fire right out of the gate? It's really tough to call.

Why is MacTavish so insistent on keeping Pouliot and Jacques in the lineup??? UGH...Jacques is playing like a BUM. There is no reason he should be in. Poor Marty...he's never gonna get a raise stuck where he is.

It will be very interesting to see if Lupul can be better than he was earlier this year on the line he's getting tonight. I think their line is more of a question than Hemsky's line to tell you the truth. I just don't see Lupul taking a quantum leap off the mat.

I really hope Tjarnqvist remains out.

Expect another good game from MAB, he's on a bit of a roll, and will probably get to play with Hemsky's line tonight who will be energized with their new mate.

OT-Did we do Ottawa a favor in forcing them to grab Comrie?

Playing Dallas is always a tough one for us, but since we haven't set a really high standard of play lately, I think we have a lot in us. We might be a little on the tired side, but I'd rather be a little tired than over-rested.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 12:29 AM
  #16
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,725
vCash: 500
While I commented on LMHF's criticism of throwing out the young guys, I will also defend him - "pathetic" is not fair either. I agree with his later point, that Petersen, and Winchester are probably more deserving to play than Jacques.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:03 AM
  #17
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Thanks for the backup guys of course...I think everyone must be frustrated or something tonight...I'm going to solve my frustration with ice-cream littered with peanut m&m's.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:09 AM
  #18
The Human Torch
Registered User
 
The Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,136
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
Thanks for the backup guys of course...I think everyone must be frustrated or something tonight...I'm going to solve my frustration with ice-cream littered with peanut m&m's.
you do that. i'm solving my frustration with copious quantites of scotch.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:54 AM
  #19
Fayne Gretzky
Registered User
 
Fayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,455
vCash: 500
In lieu of starting a new thread, which I'm not very good at, MAD PROPS to Smyth...just wow. The guy is everything you want in a hockey player, plus a few elite skills that you could never expect.

The guy has the highest goals per game in the NHL by a HUGE margin and only lacks in assists because he knows he can score em.

Huge heart out there tonight, and has already become an Oiler legend. I can't wait to see him score his 50th of the season soon.

I also can't wait to see him in the allstar game. He's at about the same level as Havlat right now, and he should be on the second line, if all goes as it should.

Sign the guy to whatever he wants!!!!!!

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 02:30 AM
  #20
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
EDMONTON OILERS 5

VS.

DALLAS STARS 5

(and yet we lost)
------------------------------------------

I’ve decided that this is how I will start my SO loss reports now, as games like this are exactly why I detest the SO so much.

Let me get this out….AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Man was that a weird game, we were in control and then not in control…I had a really bad feeling going into the third and I guess there was a reason for it. Talk about frustrating.

There are two main reasons we lost this game in my estimation:

First, our defence got stupid-tired. The loss of Smid combined with not having Toby Petersen in the lineup, who could have filled in, led to things like Hejda playing 23+, Greene going 18+ and looking completely dogged, and Smith playing 24+.
The other two handled their minutes just fine. On a night where we have six D I think MG gets to ride the pine in the third…not pretty.

Secondly, our forwards were positioning themselves far too low in the offensive zone. This led not only to and easier breakout for Dallas and a better transition game from them tonight, but also to us missing chance after chance because we did not have our third forward high in order to pick up rebounds, passes through the slot, and strange bounces. If we would have executed this better, we win this one. No question.

Now that we’ve covered all that…on to what everyone is actually talking about…after this game no one was talking about how we lost, everyone was on their cell phones calling their friends saying “Did you see that?!?!” That was probably a once-in-a-lifetime play. Not only did Patrik Stefan screw up the easiest chance you get in hockey, he then idiotically played the puck right to an Oilers player rather than safely behind the net to run out the clock. I don’t know whether it was embarrassment or the need to score a goal that took over his body at that particular time, but there was no one more relieved in that building tonight than him when that game went to a SO.

We had all kinds of chances to win in OT, especially the Staios shot that hit Horcoff. Someone might have a better shot of it (kinger, I’m lookin at you) but I’m pretty sure that puck was going right in the right side if Horcoff is not in the way. Tragic that we did not win tonight, even if we didn’t “deserve” it. Hockey isn’t about deserving the win, it’s about getting it.

We need some work on our play with leads, but we also need our goalie to clamp down and start making the saves we’re used to him making. He wasn’t stopping pucks he usually stops again tonight…this is a really bad stretch for him. I’ve never seen him so awkward and out of it.

PLAYER REPORTS
--------------------------------------------

Smyth-Horcoff-Lupul
-Well, so far so good anyway. Far from being out of sync, these guys were pretty excellent tonight, Smyth especially. I still think Lupul can be better; he didn’t convert on at least two chances that should be money for a guy like him, but he was very aware and into the play tonight. He skated with a lot of energy and got himself where he needed to be. His talent and quickness with the puck gave him his goal on a nice little puck-shift to the front of the net. Hopefully he’s only getting better. Smyth was all over the ice tonight moving like a madman. He had a goal and three assists, and was only an inch or so away from another assist while muck-raking in front of the net. When your team scores 5 and you’re on for all of them, that’s a great night. He was also only on for the 1 against, and that was not his fault and never should have gone in. AMAZING play on the last goal. Horcoff was pretty good tonight too. He continued to carry his speed through the neutral zone well, made less bad passes than he tends to, and managed to contribute well out there.

Sykora-Nedved-Hemsky
-Early reviews are mixed, that’s the best way to put it. Make no mistake, Nedved is going to need some time to adjust to his linemates and his team, as was evidenced most clearly by the bumper cars they seemed to be playing early on. That was a matter of lane confusion that will be solved once he sees the paths Hemsky and Sykora like to take. Nedved also took the puck in stride much less tonight, but that should improve. His goal was solid, with #93 in the right place at the right time. He would have had another in the third had he connected with the pass that came up the middle as he was going to streak in. Nedved should have played in OT. What more can you really say about Ales Hemsky? As soon as I saw it was him on that breakaway I knew this game was going to OT…and to have the presence of mind to be in that position is just golden. Aside from that he moved the puck and was effective all night, even throwing a couple hits in for good measure. He’s the man. I just wonder why he didn’t shoot like usual in the SO. Must be how far out Turco plays. Sykora’s game you could take or leave tonight. He was more confused by Nedved because at times they were both trying to play the center role for some reason. It was a strange night, like I said. He’ll come around. On a related note, I finally found one of his sticks in the Oilers store. Really short, and the curve does not disappoint. WOW. It’s like a curvy spiral on a roller coaster.

Pisani-Stoll-Torres
-Don’t discuss trading Jarret Stoll. Nobody wants it more than this guy. He’s so fired up and intense…really deserved to pop one with his effort tonight, but as I’ve said, hockey is not about what you deserve. It seemed he was always there in the offensive zone, but the puck would either hop over his stick after a brilliant pass, or his stick would snap (twice tonight, switch to a 110 flex already Jarret) or the puck would hop on by as it did on his chance in the crease in the third. It just was not the right kind of night for him. He was physical, fore-checked like crazy, and even filled in for our dead-tired defence in the OT period excellently. He started the play that led to Hemsky’s tying goal for good measure. Raffi also fore-checked hard and played a really solid game tonight, but just couldn’t find the offensive handle out there. Fernando laid a really really nice hit out there tonight but couldn’t generate any shots or offence. He missed a golden chance in the second from the slot after another awesome play by Stoll, and was not in his familiar slot position as much as he should have been in the third.

Jacques-Reasoner-Pouliot
-Jacques laid a really nice hit. His checks make an unusual thud that I’m not sure I’ve heard before. In response to the poster in my thread…and btw I was waiting for one of these one of these days, thanks for calling me pathetic and not subjective, its been too long between the random insults…Jacques is not playing better than Winchester or Thoresen were…they should be in the lineup. The hits stat is nowhere near enough for me to keep him around. He’s minus-9 in very limited action against no one special. I don’t suppose you think he’s going to score 39 goals next year as well do you? If you’re comparing him to Smyth that’s what you’re dealing with. It’s not that I don’t like the guy as a player, I do, but he’s puck-poison right now and we can’t afford that on any line. Pouliot was the same as usual, too slow to the puck, other than a great little pass tonight that almost led to a goal. He’s been scared off shooting in the slot too somehow…no idea why. Marty played a decent game, and had a few specifically good efforts. They should have got him even more icetime than they did doubling Hemsky to play with him and Pouliot.

Marc-Andre Bergeron
-Putting the goofy play at the end of the third aside…I mean come on, another goofy thing gave us a point…he was excellent tonight. There was no one even close to him in terms of breaking the puck out, which he did with poise and skill. I can recall a particular sequence where we were in a bit of trouble and he corralled the puck, skated for about 20 seconds with it allowing us to get a needed change, and then making a pass that moved the play along. Just excellent. Throw in that boomer off the face of the goalie Smith (WOW), 5 shots, 20 minutes of ES play without being on for a goal against, successful for 1:25 of PK, and you’ve got to give props to this guy on his turnaround. Really picked it up when we needed him. He could have won it in OT a couple times too.

Steve Staios
-The kind of game he is capable of. Within his first two shifts he’d made offensive contributions and he was excellent defensively as well. Stevey is at his best when he plays a very assertive style, and he sure did that tonight. He also played a whack of minutes and was not on for an ES goal against. He’s slowly getting better and better as the season goes on, which we’re really going to need from him.

Ladislav Smid
-Well, he was already plus-1 when he got injured…we’re going to miss his minutes if we don’t make a move right away.

Jason Smith
-Cannot move the puck. I don’t know whether it is more annoying that he always screws up or whether he tries to blame his stick every time. The guy cannot throw a flat pass. Combine that with his defensive play going downhill and I’m obviously not very happy at all with him tonight. His bad pinch directly cost us the final Dallas goal, even though Greene should have made a better play and Roloson made a bad attempt.

Matt Greene
-Probably his worst game this year. He was bad with the puck, made dumb decisions and was not effective defensively. Without that, he ain’t much. Just an aberration for him I’d think. He’ll bounce back. Hopefully we don’t have to push his minute total so high.

Dwayne Roloson
-Simply put, he’s frustrated and I’m frustrated with him. Fundamentals and positioning are off and he’s over-compensating for them. NOT GOOD!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who is this Connor guy playing for Dallas? If he’s 5’8” then Bergeron is 6’2”.

Did I mention how much I hate shootouts? If this game had continued, we win. We had the momentum, we were running like nobody’s business, and then we run into the SO specialist team…jeez…

I hope these guys are turning it around. I really thought we were back tonight for a while…but I guess not.

LMHF#1 out.


I mentioned the bolded part in another thread. Glad to see i'm not the only one who was thinking that. And, reasons like that are why he is USUALLY in most games.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 02:49 AM
  #21
s7ark
Moderator
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,892
vCash: 500
Czechs looked really bad at the start, but after Nedved started skating the line looked better. Sykora is looking looking like the weak link right now though.

Smyth is doing everything out there. Horc looked good and Hemmer had his usual magic.

I'd like to see Torres acting a bit more selfish and just driving the net instead of passing so much. We get it, you can pass. Please get back to scoring again. That is what we need from you. Torres seems more tentative of laying the big hit of late. I guess those injuries are making him second guess?

Roli didn't have a strong game. Nothing was his fault but none of the big saves we are used to. And that we need.

Defense was exposed badly without Smid (it's kinda sad and nice that a rookie can have that kind of effect on our lineup) Without Smid's minutes a trade is needed, soon.

__________________
Fire Eakins.
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 03:26 AM
  #22
Kritter471
Registered User
 
Kritter471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Conner is a call-up from Iowa who's filling in because of the injuries to Modano-Morrow-Lindros-Ott. He may be listed at 5-8, but I'm 5-5 and can look him right in the eye in flats.

He and Marty Sertich were a pair of linemates at training camp. They were such midgets.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 04:04 AM
  #23
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,590
vCash: 500
Just like the rest of the team got frustrated with the terrible goaltending, our goaltender is getting sour on the defense infront of him. He needs to be better too, but it's clear that this team is giving up far too many prime scoring chances.

Bergeron did cough up the puck on the would be empty netter, but that gets overlooked because of the tying goal. Bergeron had a couple of moments when he fanned on the puck at the blueline, I think the Rexall ice has something to do with that.

We need defense. We need it soon. I'm hoping Jacques is in the line-up in part for the old showcase. At least Winchester can score you the occasional goal. And Petersen should be in considering the lack of defensive minded forwards we have out there. They need to have some guys they can shuffle in when they need to protect a lead (say interspersing a guy like Petersen with Torres/Lupul/Sykora in certain situations.

Pouliot will be a good player down the road, but we need a better presence on the 4th line. And the way Stoll is playing Pouliot's only hope is to one day become 3rd line center on this team. Maybe he can score from the wing down the road, but I wouldn't be completely opposed to dealing him for the right player.

You can't tell me the Oilers couldn't get Sopel from the Kings for Jacques and a 3rd. That would essentially be the same price Jason Smith cost back in the day. Git 'er done.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 09:22 AM
  #24
HotToddy
Registered User
 
HotToddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,598
vCash: 500
Great calls on Defense,

MAB was really, really good tonight, dissapointing to hear Oiler fans whine about him after the game when Matt Greene was BY-ROO-TAL. Worst game I've seen him play.

AHL players were ripping him wide tonight.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 09:28 AM
  #25
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
I'd like to see Torres acting a bit more selfish and just driving the net instead of passing so much. We get it, you can pass. Please get back to scoring again. That is what we need from you. Torres seems more tentative of laying the big hit of late. I guess those injuries are making him second guess?
Nah, Torres smashed someone good on a head down late in the game. He just isn't getting the huge injury hits at the moment (probably a good thing too).

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.