HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Yanks ship out The Unit

Old
01-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Chokingdogs

vCash: 500

sweet, so long randall!

all thats left now, to make me happy, would be to offload chokessina.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 08:40 AM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post

Good move? Im honestly not familiar with any of the guys the Yanks just got, but... RJ wasnt contributing much, thats for sure.
Good move? They could have traded him for a bat and a catcher's mitt and I'd be happy!

I won't be dancin' until it goes from "tentative agreement" to "deal is done" however.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 09:09 AM
UAGoalieGuy

The Yankees have unloaded a boatload of money with all these deals they have made this summer. I think it's somewhere around $50 million or so. Anyone have any idea?

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Its a PP Goal

PR motivated move by Arizona. They wanted to appease fans after a sloppy divorce with the very popular Luis Gonzalez and fill seats for RJ's 300th win. They also want him to end his career and possibly enter the HOF as a Diamondback.

That's the only reason we got value back in this trade. If this was based on performance, there's no way we get a reliever and 3 prospects in return for an over the hill has been.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
The Yankees have unloaded a boatload of money with all these deals they have made this summer. I think it's somewhere around $50 million or so. Anyone have any idea?
Players dropped-

Sheffield 16M
Wright 7M
RJ 16M
Bernie 1.5M
Wilson 3.5M
Mussina paycut 8M
Villone 2M
Sturtze 1.5M
Dotel 2M

approx total- 57M

Players added

Pettite 16M
Mientkiagaig 1.5M
Igawa 4M
Vizcaino 1.5M

appox total- 21M

We dropped about 36M, rough estimate.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Jackson Ranger

As a Met fan, I think Cashman has done a great job this offseason. I think Randy Johnson was done in NY and to get a arm for the bullpen as well as adding more bullets (also, see the Sheffield trade) for possible trades down the road, I'll give him a

I just wish our GM was as active and forward thinking as Cashman. Minaya seems more intent on wiping the cupboard clean of prospects.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 12:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
I just wish our GM was as active and forward thinking as Cashman. Minaya seems more intent on wiping the cupboard clean of prospects.
I don't think that's the case at all. What prospect has he dumped? For that matter, what reall dead-weight big contract do the Mets have that you would like to see them dump?

01-05-2007, 12:54 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

You guys got a lot of decent prospects in there, and I would be excited about Vizcaino, he's really good, maybe the Yankees can jump start him.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:24 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
we wouldnt get Connor Jackson w/o giving up tabata or hughes, so that was NEVER gonna happen.
I heard that there is a chance we could offer Melky and Vizcaino(Send him back I guess) for Jackson. Id love Jackson but for now Im just glad we got rid of that bum RJ.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

This is another Tampa move that was erased this offseason..

Not resiging Pettite...check

Signing Sheffield....check

trading for Johnson....check

I could care less who the Yankees got back for Johnson. I'm just glad he is gone...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Heatley4Hart*

The guy is 43 yes, but pitching in the AL and especialy in the AL East is a toughy facing Boston, Blue Jays...in those ultimate hitter's parks also.

He will be better back at the NL. Don't be shocked if the guy wins 18-20 games with sub 3s ERA.

Heatley4Hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley4Hart View Post
The guy is 43 yes, but pitching in the AL and especialy in the AL East is a toughy facing Boston, Blue Jays...in those ultimate hitter's parks also.

He will be better back at the NL. Don't be shocked if the guy wins 18-20 games with sub 3s ERA.

With all due respect and I don't mean to come off like a jerk but..

I wouldn't be shocked and I wouldn't care..If Johnson did win 20 games next year and was sub 3s era I don't think a Yankee fan would be crying about not having Johnson..

When it counted the Yankees couldn't count on Johnson..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't think that's the case at all. What prospect has he dumped? For that matter, what reall dead-weight big contract do the Mets have that you would like to see them dump?
My point SBOB was based more on the first paragraph of my post. In the last two months, Cashman has swung the following trades:

Sheffield for Sanchez, Whelan and Claggett
Wright for Britton
Johnson for Vizcaino, Ohlendorf, Jackson and Gonzalez

He has addressed his bullpen needs with Vizcaino, reduced his payroll and has added a number of other propects to go along with what they had before. The Yankees are in great shape to make trades for help before or during the season.

The Mets on the other hand have made the following trades:

Burgos for Bannister
Vargas, Bostick for Owens and Lindstrom
Johnson, Adkins for Bell and Ring

Seems to me you gain a player, you lose a player. The only trade I like is Burgos because of the need for bullpen help and the abundance of #5 starters this team has.

As for the prospects, have we dealt any high end guys yet, no, but in my mind, it's just a matter of time especially considering the lack of options left on the free agent market.

Old
01-05-2007, 02:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
My point SBOB was based more on the first paragraph of my post. In the last two months, Cashman has swung the following trades:

Sheffield for Sanchez, Whelan and Claggett
Wright for Britton
Johnson for Vizcaino, Ohlendorf, Jackson and Gonzalez

He has addressed his bullpen needs with Vizcaino, reduced his payroll and has added a number of other propects to go along with what they had before. The Yankees are in great shape to make trades for help before or during the season.

The Mets on the other hand have made the following trades:

Burgos for Bannister
Vargas, Bostick for Owens and Lindstrom
Johnson, Adkins for Bell and Ring

Seems to me you gain a player, you lose a player. The only trade I like is Burgos because of the need for bullpen help and the abundance of #5 starters this team has.

As for the prospects, have we dealt any high end guys yet, no, but in my mind, it's just a matter of time especially considering the lack of options left on the free agent market.
I understand your point. But my question to you was what big-time dead weight contract on the Mets are your dying to move?

Bell and Ring are guys who no longer have options and are AAAA pitchers. Omar got a bench player and another fringe pitcher for two guys who weren't going to be on this team next season. Not old guys.

Vargas is the closest thing to be being a known commodity in the Fish deal.

Burgos for Bannister is a wash. A hard throwing reliever for a control finesse starter.'

My point is, you can't say he's "wiping the cupboard clean of prospects" when he's dealt young guys for young guys.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
I understand your point. But my question to you was what big-time dead weight contract on the Mets are your dying to move?

Bell and Ring are guys who no longer have options and are AAAA pitchers. Omar got a bench player and another fringe pitcher for two guys who weren't going to be on this team next season. Not old guys.

Vargas is the closest thing to be being a known commodity in the Fish deal.

Burgos for Bannister is a wash. A hard throwing reliever for a control finesse starter.'

My point is, you can't say he's "wiping the cupboard clean of prospects" when he's dealt young guys for young guys.
One contract would be Green. Do you really think he fits into the plans of the Mets with Chavez, Johnson and Milledge capable of playing the outfield? How come the Yankees always seem to get rid of their dead weight, save Pavano?

But Minaya can't do this because he probably isn't counting on having Milledge because if Minaya wants any front line starter, Milledge is as good as gone.

Old
01-05-2007, 02:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
One contract would be Green. Do you really think he fits into the plans of the Mets with Chavez, Johnson and Milledge capable of playing the outfield? How come the Yankees always seem to get rid of their dead weight, save Pavano?

But Minaya can't do this because he probably isn't counting on having Milledge because if Minaya wants any front line starter, Milledge is as good as gone.
Green has a NTC that he would have to waive and probably wouldn't. I don't like the idea of Chavez playing everyday.

Old
01-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Green has a NTC that he would have to waive and probably wouldn't. I don't like the idea of Chavez playing everyday.
Johnson had a no trade clause as well. And I would think IF a team out west was interested, Green would be happy to go home.

And I agree, Chavez is more important off the bench.

Old
01-05-2007, 02:56 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Johnson had a no trade clause as well. And I would think IF a team out west was interested, Green would be happy to go home.

And I agree, Chavez is more important off the bench.
RJ wanted to leave. I don't see Green wanting to go. And certainly not a team that doesn't have a chance to win.

Old
01-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
RJ wanted to leave. I don't see Green wanting to go. And certainly not a team that doesn't have a chance to win.
You don't think San Diego has a chance to win? What about San Francisco? I think the NL West is up for grabs. Plus he gets to be closer to home which is exactly what Johnson wanted.

Old
01-05-2007, 03:40 PM
nickrOck

thank god.! he was awful here.. i'll take the prospects no matter how good or bad, they more then likely wont see the light of day in ny anyways.. but cashman can always flip them for something we need throughout the season..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 03:54 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Jooooooy Toooo The Woooooorrrrrld!!!

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 04:46 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Did you honestly think he would bring back ELITE prospects?
One, maybe two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRaws View Post
Wow, for a minute I thought it said Connor Jackson... now THAT would be something.

Vizcaino seems very servicable and can only help our bullpen. He seems to have increased his strikeouts since his last gig in the AL.

Ohlendorf seems to have a good pedigree. This trade only makes the team younger and is nothing but proper asset management
Ohlendorf seems like the cornerstone player in this deal because he can develop into a servicable #2-#3 starter one day. Vizcaino I think is a solid addition for the near future, but that's about it. Jackson I don't know much about, but his numbers for Clemson I believe it was were decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
But then again did you ever hear anyone predict Wang would be an ace? What I LOVE about these deals is the stockpiling. (Yet another reason to move Damon and his suddenly very reasonable contract.) I see a staff of 80% home grown talent down the road.

Speaking of which, I have a feeling that Hughes forces his way into the starting five out of spring training...
They said that Wang had good material. Wang if you ask me isn't exactly a true ace. He has a good fastball, and that great power sinker, but he's not a strikeout guy by any means. He had about 70 strikeouts last year. Aces usually pile up more strikeouts than that.

Why move Damon now? He's played GREAT for us, and I really think he's the kind of guy that helps win a championship. This team with Clemens can definitely compete, if not win the Championship this coming year. Why move one of the better leadoff hitters in the game, especially with the offense he provides, and some great defensive plays, despite the lack of an arm? Plus, he's a leader as well, and loosens up the clubhouse. Something the team needs to do a little more of.

As for that last part, I'd love to see that happen... Rocket-Wang-Andy-Moose-Hughes move Igawa into the pen and have him there with Proctor, Farnsworth, Vizcaino, Bruney... looks pretty solid.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
One, maybe two.
You think a busted up, over the hill, overpaid guy with an attitude problem would bring back some great return? Holy crap, man. C'mon.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 05:17 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post

sweet, so long randall!

all thats left now, to make me happy, would be to offload chokessina.
Mussina isn't going anywhere after he was re-signed. Besides, I have alot more confidence when he takes the mound rather than in Johnson's starts.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 05:26 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
One, maybe two.

Ohlendorf seems like the cornerstone player in this deal because he can develop into a servicable #2-#3 starter one day. Vizcaino I think is a solid addition for the near future, but that's about it. Jackson I don't know much about, but his numbers for Clemson I believe it was were decent.

They said that Wang had good material. Wang if you ask me isn't exactly a true ace. He has a good fastball, and that great power sinker, but he's not a strikeout guy by any means. He had about 70 strikeouts last year. Aces usually pile up more strikeouts than that.

Why move Damon now? He's played GREAT for us, and I really think he's the kind of guy that helps win a championship. This team with Clemens can definitely compete, if not win the Championship this coming year. Why move one of the better leadoff hitters in the game, especially with the offense he provides, and some great defensive plays, despite the lack of an arm? Plus, he's a leader as well, and loosens up the clubhouse. Something the team needs to do a little more of.

As for that last part, I'd love to see that happen... Rocket-Wang-Andy-Moose-Hughes move Igawa into the pen and have him there with Proctor, Farnsworth, Vizcaino, Bruney... looks pretty solid.
Ace to me means #1 starter, which does not necessarily mean strikeout king. Wang has 20 win potential and that's all that matters. If Ohlendorf can reach that level, I will be ECSTATIC.

Don't get me wrong, there's no substitution for a truly dominant guy that other teams can't even make contact on (which Hughes will hopefully be), but there are maybe 5-10 of those guys in the league at a given time and you don't need to be that guy to be an outstanding pitcher.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote