HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valentenko a ‘big hit’ at the WJC

Old
01-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
how long until we can get him to come over? I was very impressed with him today.

Player of the game for Russia.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 03:53 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Didn't like Valentenko's play at all during the first period (what was up with him throwing the puck off the boards directly to the Russian goal slot?) but he was great in the last two. He seems like a guy who loves to shoot the puck and can really dictate a powerplay. Good stuff!
How was his skating?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Oh and just to point out, I didn't heard the name Alexandrov a lot, and Aniikenko was quite bad today...can he keep the puck on his stick??? Anyways, Valentenko was great...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
How was his skating?
Not bad...decent speed, but he needs to move his feets more, and maybe play with more intensity when he don't have the puck...he was looking bored when he was behind the play.

Old
01-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Habitants

player of game for russia, with a goal! wow that is nice for a late round pick steal! cant wait to see furthur development from him

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 04:01 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Not bad...decent speed, but he needs to move his feets more, and maybe play with more intensity when he don't have the puck...he was looking bored when he was behind the play.
Agreed on all counts.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 05:41 PM
buddahsmoka1

Solid game for him, except the high sticking penality he took. He apparently played that way all tournament long, good to hear for us Montreal fans.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 06:21 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I thought he was good, laid some great checks on the Canadian players, knocked Downie into his own team bench (granted it led to a goal, but it was still a big hit). I like the fact he is pretty much the same age as Emelin so they can help ease each others transition to North America in the near future. Those two on the same pairing would be pretty intense, I wouldn't want to go into the corners against them.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 07:16 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I like him, but I don't think he'll ever come over unless he's given a roster spot (an unlikely thing to happen).

01-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I like him, but I don't think he'll ever come over unless he's given a roster spot (an unlikely thing to happen).
i think he comes over.He isnt learning English to play in Russia the rest of his life hence the " DREAM" and his role models are not to shabby either

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php...readed&order=0
"He has his dream and he works very hard to make it come true," commented Tyjnych. "He is a very hard-working young man, he is tough on himself, a very good citizen.

"Pavel is more serious than some Russians and some kids from his age, he is only 19 years old, but he is like a man. He already understands some English and because of his will to reach his dream and his seriousness, I don’t think that he won’t have any problem to learn the language in North America," added Tyjnych.

Valentenko, who has Vyacheslav Fetisov and Chris Pronger as role models, came once to North America, about six years ago. "I spent a month in Toronto, at the Prime Time Hockey Program. This is where I got a little bit used to English," he explained.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
how long until we can get him to come over? I was very impressed with him today.

Player of the game for Russia.
Althought I am not as high on Valentenko as most of you( I see him as a future Danny Markov type). It does look like the Habs addressed their need for defensemen in recent drafts. Besides Valentenko, Carle, Fishcher and Yemelin, the Habs have some decent defense prospects. However, it will be a couple of years before they are ready

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Mr. Hab

Based on the "Hockey'sfuture" article, it looks like he really wants to come to North America...He even named Pronger as one of the players he looks up to...he loves the North American game (gritty, physical). Already knows some English, which is great (shows he's willing to learn and improve & hopefully be somewhat fluent, enough to communicate on ice and understand coach's instructions...).

Someone already compared him to a Danny Markov (for the future, of course)...I really hope so.

Like Trevor Timmins said...I did see some Emelin in him (with his physical play & also his high-stick to a Canadian player..., and his pride (based on his facial expression when he was in the penalty box)).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
And like any young banger, he'll have to learn when to go for the big hit and when you shouldn't.

I know it was Downie.... but the Marchand's goal was mostly possible 'cause Valentenko went for the homerun on Downie's but it definately wasn't the greatest play.

What's great to see, is that we never hear about goals and points for him in his regular team but when he plays with a better lineup, he does show something offensively as well. So he does looks like a taller Emelin.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 10:43 AM
habs86

vCash: 600
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Looks like we'll have to use the ol' Penguins discount to get them out anytime soon.

is this the same kind of thing that the pens went threw with malkin? (sorry to ask a stupid question), what can a team do to get both players over here?

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 11:00 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

I had one of the worst dream ever before waking up this morning,

I dream that we traded Pavel Valentenko's right for Bob Boughner

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 11:06 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
I had one of the worst dream ever before waking up this morning,

I dream that we traded Pavel Valentenko's right for Bob Boughner
Only a hockey die-hard fan to have this kind of dream. lol

didjuicythat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Garnett

Pavel Valentenko

I think this kid has more upside than danny markov. He big, phyiscal, made good outlet passes, and has a canon for a shot. This kid can really rifle it! I see a Souray type D-men. Im not sure if he can put up Souray points but the other aspects of there games are similiar in my opinion.
I only watched two games of his but I followed him ever shift and outside a couple bad decisions he was outstanding. Russia's best D-men.

Garnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 11:49 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnett View Post
I think this kid has more upside than danny markov. He big, phyiscal, made good outlet passes, and has a canon for a shot. This kid can really rifle it! I see a Souray type D-men. Im not sure if he can put up Souray points but the other aspects of there games are similiar in my opinion.
I only watched two games of his but I followed him ever shift and outside a couple bad decisions he was outstanding. Russia's best D-men.
If he ends up being like Dany Markov, I will not be disappointed...

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Taows was player of the game for Canada.

Playing in the RSL will most likely help him a lot!

please tell me how playing in the RSL will help HIM a lot....since the NHL went back to work that league is really changed.

He is a big defenceman that needs to leard the N.A. game more. There is like no contact in the RSL.

i will admit that if he plays in the RSL for the next 2 yrs and then makes the jump to N.A> he will start in Hamilton....thats 3 yrs of development. I just believe that if he played over here it would be accelerated and after the 3 yr period he would be a regular on MONTREAL's defence. not a guy going up and down from the NHL to the AHL after the 3 yrs development

He looked good out there, was getting more ice time later in the games that i watched him play(sweden and canada). Looks like the coach leaned on him more and more as the tourny unfolded. I hope he comes over soon along with emelin of course. Emelin i am really looking forward too. But pavel is making me look his way with his play in the WJC. Looks like we got 2 russians with physical and good 2 way play, that might play on the habs one day. We have a lot of good prospects pilling up

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post

please tell me how playing in the RSL will help HIM a lot....since the NHL went back to work that league is really changed.

He is a big defenceman that needs to leard the N.A. game more. There is like no contact in the RSL.

i will admit that if he plays in the RSL for the next 2 yrs and then makes the jump to N.A> he will start in Hamilton....thats 3 yrs of development. I just believe that if he played over here it would be accelerated and after the 3 yr period he would be a regular on MONTREAL's defence. not a guy going up and down from the NHL to the AHL after the 3 yrs development

He looked good out there, was getting more ice time later in the games that i watched him play(sweden and canada). Looks like the coach leaned on him more and more as the tourny unfolded. I hope he comes over soon along with emelin of course. Emelin i am really looking forward too. But pavel is making me look his way with his play in the WJC. Looks like we got 2 russians with physical and good 2 way play, that might play on the habs one day. We have a lot of good prospects pilling up
This year for Valentenko, I think that the RSL was his best option. There's not a whole lot of young defenceman who can have a permenant spot on a Superleague team so that's a great achievement for Pavel. I agree that he needs to play in NA sooner rather than later, but still, the RSL is probably is best option because it's a pro league...