HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Were in Big trouble and we've been doing this all year.

Old
01-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Arcane

vCash: 500
Were in Big trouble and we've been doing this all year.

Getting the lead then sitting back on it. Some we win, some we lose. It is not how people who get into the playoffs play.

Where are the people saying "oh it's just one loss don't lose your head, the team is fine"

your an idiot if you think that. This isn't me jumping off the bandwagon, this is me being pissed off at a team I love.

something needs to happen to shake this team up, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 10:30 PM
OntOilFan

It's a common trait of below average hockey clubs, Steve. That's what these Oilers have become, a bad hockey club. They don't know how to win. And the many examples of blown leads this season are evidence of that.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 10:53 PM
westcory

I hope klowe is on the phone right now.....our defence is incapable of moving the puck.

westcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 10:58 PM
redsox18

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post
I hope klowe is on the phone right now.....our defence is incapable of moving the puck.
Couldn't agree more. Lowe's ineptitude at getting a defenseman is once again putting Oilers fans through another season of mediocrity and high tension wondering if we'll even make the playoffs.

He gambled on our defense much like he gambled on our goaltending last year. And if it wasn't for Vancouver falling apart down the stretch we would've missed the playoffs and our magical run altogether.

He has to act now, if he waits until the trade deadline WE WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!!

redsox18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 10:59 PM
HOF

Lets see..

Forwards are grossly overrated.

Team cannot play a 50 minutes, let alone 60.

Defense is absolute garbage, pathetic, retarded....etc

No PP whatsoever.

#1 goalie is gone.

Lowe wants to emulate Philly? Grow some ballz and make a deal. Most of the "core" are mediocre anyways.

PATHETIC TEAM right now.

HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:01 PM
nanook

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox18 View Post
Couldn't agree more. Lowe's ineptitude at getting a defenseman ...
Sorry, but just because Lowe hasn't made a deal yet doesn't make him inept. Let's say the only deal out there is Visnovsky for Stoll, Bergeron and a 1st Round Pick. Should Lowe just take that. The reality is, we may have to wait until there is a fair deal to be made.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Boozers

Why doesn't Mact employ the trap again I mean we did it a little near the end of the season and in the plyoffs, and lets tighten things up we cant play up and down the ice like this.

Boozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:03 PM
jadeddog

panicking right now would be the worst thing lowe could do... i agree completely that this is a pretty terrible hockey team *this year*.... and thats the point

once we traded pronger for a 20 year old, a 23 year old and 2 draft picks, this team went into rebuild mode.... its not a start-from-scratch rebuild, but its a rebuild nonetheless.... we're a young team, and we're gonna lose games like we did tonight.... im not saying its fun, as that was one of the most devasting losses ive personally watched in a long time (because you just *knew* they were going to lose that hockey game).... but for lowe to go out and try to salvage this season by trading away youth would be silly... this teams "chance" is maybe next year, but probably the season after that (2008-09)

if we make the playoffs this year, great.... if we dont, oh well... we're in next year country already really, and to screw that up as well by trading youth to try and salvage a season that is already lost would be very foolish indeed.... now dont get worked up over me saying this season is already lost, we might well make the playoffs, but we're not gonna make any noise in them (and that is my definition of a successful season).... we (and lowe more importantly) need to take this season for what it is, a rebuilding one.... any marginal success we have is a bonus and nothing more

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:03 PM
mack10

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post
Yea, all except for one, Bergeron! who just happened to make the best play in the world tonight around the 12 second mark of the 3rd period.

On a more serious note, Stoll with another multipoint game tonight and a physical and defensive presence all night, am I correct or am I correct, this guy is going to be one hell of a star in the league in the future...he already is for the Oilers, its only a matter of time before he becomes so dominant because he plays the game so well and he's so smart when he's out on the ice...I guess its a given when you idolize Steve Yzerman. These are the type of players we need on this team...our problem isn't actually the guys we have playing because the only guy I miss from last season was Pronger and the rest of them did a good job for when he was off the ice; we need players who want to freakin win, someone like Stoll and Smyth and Torres & Pisani (of late, hope they keep it up) and believe it or not, Horcoff...Rolli's game is also going downhill and its unfortunate but sometimes, although I know its not his fault half the time, I get so pissed at him for letting a goal in. Only one I was mad at tonight is the Boucher goal which looked like crap to me.

Sorry for going on and on and on, but sometimes I can't stand this team because it hurts so much watching them.

mack10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm so bloody sick of this team getting babied by there coaching staff....all you Mac Tavish supports don't agree do you? Well case in point, the Oilers blow there 4-1 lead....first things first, they should have come out in that 3rd period and dictated the play, they should have had the physical game turned up hardcore(hence the point of this article)....instead they lay back and 4 minutes in it's 4-4. WHERE THE HELL IS THE TIMEOUT AND THE VERBAL A** KICKING THAT ANY OTHER FREAKIN COACH IN THIS LEAGUE WOULD HAVE DONE TO HIS TEAM?????????????????????????????????????????? For the most part I do respect the guy and his staying calm/staying the course approach, except for there comes a time when that has to go. I know I'm going to have all you Mac T lovers out there on my a** because you think it's only after every loss, it isn't with me. I know who's comming for me, not to mention any names(Haluschak).....I'm just so sick of watching this time and time and time and time and time and time and time again. 6 years, same EXACT results every single year. He proved last year he's a good playoff coach? Ok, he's also just BARELY got us in playoffs in only 3 of 5 years. I'm telling you, last year was way more a result of having an extremely well balanced team that was on a mission, not the freakin coaching. The PP is never good, the defensive play is never that good, oh yeah tonight was the perfect night to play Juicy and save Rollie for tomorrow....pretty much guarentee we lose BOTH games now. Yes, he's done alright when he hasn't had a lot of talent, but how many excuses do you guys have left for him??? Last year he didn't have a goaltender, this year he has no d, 04 he didn't have good goaltending(except he did, they just refused to admit to themselves that Conklin was better), 03 they didn't have a star player, 02 they were still adjusting to life without Dougie....I'm not going to lie to you, it's time for a change, and if this game didn't prove how the "let's baby the players" technique doesn't work, I don't know what will

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:05 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook View Post
Sorry, but just because Lowe hasn't made a deal yet doesn't make him inept. Let's say the only deal out there is Visnovsky for Stoll, Bergeron and a 1st Round Pick. Should Lowe just take that. The reality is, we may have to wait until there is a fair deal to be made.
Yes, nanook, that isn't exactly a steal for Edmonton, but that's the situation Lowe's mismangement on the back end has created. Lowe went for broke with forwards and gambled going with a lacklustre d-corps. NHL GMs know Lowe is now desperate so the asking price is going to be steep.

Make no mistake, Lowe isn't going to blindside us fans by plucking another Spacek away from a team for nothing. GMs know he's hurting for some help.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:08 PM
oilerfanatic

we blew a 4-1 lead...only expansion teams do that...i'm utterly disgusted right now...

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:08 PM
redsox18

Quote:
First of all, there's no deal or GM out there that is that stupid to ask for that for Visnovsky.

And second of all, Lowe is gonna have to overpay at the deadline (ex. Roloson). So if he's gonna have to overpay at the deadline he may as well overpay now.

Old
01-04-2007, 11:11 PM
mack10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Yes, nanook, that isn't exactly a steal for Edmonton, but that's the situation Lowe's mismangement on the back end has created. Lowe went for broke with forwards and gambled going with a lacklustre d-corps. NHL GMs know Lowe is now desperate so the asking price is going to be steep.

Make no mistake, Lowe isn't going to blindside us fans by plucking another Spacek away from a team for nothing. GMs know he's hurting for some help.
Which was also the case last season around the trade deadline when we plucked a Spacek and a Samsonov away from their respective teams if I remember correctly. Something has to be done, but I don't think we should give away anyone that's been great for us anytime soon (Stoll, or Torres for that matter). I'll live with one missed playoffs than lose some of our better players.

P.S. is this Torres' last year on the contract? if so, he's our best bet at a good return and he's been having a hell of a season so far. I love Torres and want him back next season but for now we can afford to give him up and something/someone else for a D-man and re-sign him in the off season if he wants back. This is his last year isn't it? if not, scratch what I said, I'd rather Torres stay and trade someone like Pisani or something.

mack10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:11 PM
nanook

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox18 View Post
First of all, there's no deal or GM out there that is that stupid to ask for that for Visnovsky.
Sure, I suppose all GMs start out with what they think is a perfectly fair and reasonable offer. Okay. If there was a good deal out there, I'm pretty sure it would have been made.

Old
01-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
panicking right now would be the worst thing lowe could do... i agree completely that this is a pretty terrible hockey team *this year*.... and thats the point
But he doesn't have to do a PANIC deal, he could just do a deal that gives us a freakin upgrade back there, and he might tonight or tomorrow morning with Smid out for a couple of weeks. We keep hearing Brewer could be had pretty cheap, despite St.Louis playing better Brewer still hasn't panned out there and I don't believe it would be considered for them to be rebuilding just for doing that move. Give the Blues a 2nd and Tjarnqvist and be done with it. It's an upgrade, and I guarentee you he won't be as bad here as he's been in St.Louis.

Old
01-04-2007, 11:16 PM
nanook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
But he doesn't have to do a PANIC deal, he could just do a deal that gives us a freakin upgrade back there, and he might tonight or tomorrow morning with Smid out for a couple of weeks. We keep hearing Brewer could be had pretty cheap, despite St.Louis playing better Brewer still hasn't panned out there and I don't believe it would be considered for them to be rebuilding just for doing that move. Give the Blues a 2nd and Tjarnqvist and be done with it. It's an upgrade, and I guarentee you he won't be as bad here as he's been in St.Louis.
Now that deal I would take.

Old
01-04-2007, 11:17 PM
redsox18

Quote:
Sure, I suppose all GMs start out with what they think is a perfectly fair and reasonable offer. Okay. If there was a good deal out there, I'm pretty sure it would have been made.
Thats just it there's not a good deal out there, you're 100% right.

But tell me this, at the time did you ACTUALLY think Roloson for a first rounder was a good deal last year? If you said yes you're lying.

So what I'm saying is there is no good deal out there, but if he's gonna have to overpay at the deadline he may as well overpay now! It's Lowe's fault we're in this situation, he gambled on a weak D with stacked forwards, and is losing.

Old
01-04-2007, 11:18 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
my point is, why do anything at all? the only way i make a move if im lowe is if you can absolutely steal somebody (like with spacek last year).... this year is basically a right-off, and i hope lowe is smart enough to realize that .... so why trade away *any* of our future just to plug one of the many holes in this years team? sure, if he can steal a player from somebody, do it, but i dont move one roster player or one promising prospect this year if im lowe

this year is about getting our youth (stoll, hemsky, torres, smid, greene, MAB, MAP and JFJ) some much needing experience.... if we happen to make the playoffs, then great, but i sincerely hope lowe doesnt trade away our youth in a futile effort to have some actual success this year

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot_Scorer View Post
#1 goalie is gone.
I agree with you on all points except for this. Roloson (as well as Markkanen) has let in some softies, but on a lot of the goals, his defense are leaving guys wide open and/or looking at the puck carrier.

They have 42 games left, but something needs to be done now. It seems like everytime they score 5+ goals in a game, they let in at least six.

This current team has yet to show they can win.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
my point is, why do anything at all? the only way i make a move if im lowe is if you can absolutely steal somebody (like with spacek last year).... this year is basically a right-off, and i hope lowe is smart enough to realize that .... so why trade away *any* of our future just to plug one of the many holes in this years team? sure, if he can steal a player from somebody, do it, but i dont move one roster player or one promising prospect this year if im lowe

this year is about getting our youth (stoll, hemsky, torres, smid, greene, MAB, MAP and JFJ) some much needing experience.... if we happen to make the playoffs, then great, but i sincerely hope lowe doesnt trade away our youth in a futile effort to have some actual success this year
Oh come on! He doesn't go and get Nedved if he thinks this year is a write off....which it so is not! I'm as frustrated as can be right now(as everyone can tell from my endless rants!), but I'm only so frustrated because I know that this team is capable of being in the top 6 in this conference, which there not right now.....but are we even 6 points out of 1st in our divison??? If we are, I know Vancouver has played at least 2 more games then us, and a win against them tomorrow would quickley get us right back in the thick of that hunt. And you won't have to sacrifice a lot of the future to make this team a contender again. I got two guys that I personally think we can get our hands on that won't cost "the future" Brewer and Gonchar. Both move the puck better then any d-man we have right now, both would round out our roster, the latter is a great QB, the former has been great defensivly for us in the past and he's still only 27. Yes we would lose some stuff for these guys(a 1st and probably Pouliot in a deal for Gonchar, and that's for starters), but the 1st could be the Ducks 1st, and Pouliot looks like he's still 3 or 4 years from being a star in this league and we're deep down the middle with our prospects. Again, I'm sorry to all that my posts are always 8 minutes in length it's just always have a lot of points defending my case

Old
01-04-2007, 11:36 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
we blew a 4-1 lead...only expansion teams do that...i'm utterly disgusted right now...
San Jose is an expansion team?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Hemsky4PM

I'm sure Lowe is trying very hard to get at least one guy in here. Seriously, a guy like Sopel would be a huge upgrade on 5 guys on our team, and is probably equal to Staios.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:43 PM
redsox18

Quote:
Thats just it there's not a good deal out there, you're 100% right.

But tell me this, at the time did you ACTUALLY think Roloson for a first rounder was a good deal last year? If you said yes you're lying.

So what I'm saying is there is no good deal out there, but if he's gonna have to overpay at the deadline he may as well overpay now! It's Lowe's fault we're in this situation, he gambled on a weak D with stacked forwards, and is losing.

Old
01-04-2007, 11:44 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Actually I did say yes, so nyah nyah. People wholly overrate draft picks IMO.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote